Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
For serious study you want something like the NRSV or ESV. The King James Bible or New King James Bible is also fine.

I like the Good News Bible or CEV for casual reading but I notice a lot of theological bias in the text. For instance, the Wedding at Cana has Jesus talking back to his mother, something that is at odds with Catholic readings of the text, and indicates perhaps a theological bias on the part of the translators, since it lacks the nuance of the original Greek text.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best version is one that you read consistently. :)

I made the shift over to Greek a number of years ago so I read the NT and Septuagint (the first Hebrew to Greek translation) for my primary reading. I'm starting to learn Hebrew. I'm also learning Spanish so I've been doing my devotional reading with the NVI since it's a simpler reading level.

I've found two types of "reading" beneficial.
  • The first is extended reading of scripture where I read the entire NT and OT over about 3 months. I've done this with several English versions (KJV, ASV, NASB, RSV, NIV, and LB) and Greek. This provides a good overview and acquaintance with all of scripture. My opinion is that whatever version you are most comfortable with is best for this for the first few times through. Also, there are many different printings of particular versions with different type sizes, fonts, hard/soft cover, thin/thick paper etc. Find out you can read comfortably.
  • The second is focused study of particular passages or books. I start with Greek and then compare multiple versions and use other materials (Bible dictionaries, lexicons, etc.). My opinion is that comparing multiple versions is key for this.

Please note that everyone is different and has different seasons in their lives where different styles of reading will be of more benefit at different times. A Bible reading plan that helps you grow is the best one for you. A Bible reading plan that is burdensome to you and makes you feel guilty about not doing it "correctly" is probably not best for you. I've had seasons of my life where I was reading the Bible through once per month. I've had seasons of my life where reading a chapter or so (or a page or so) a day was beneficial.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I've latched onto the NRSV and read and use it most of the time. However, I grew up reading the KJV and RSV, and the KJV still has a special place in my heart because of the beautiful language. I also have an ESV on my Kindle because it was free. I've also read some other translations over the years based on Bibles my parents had, Bibles that were left in hotel rooms, etc. I've been interested in getting a version of the Message just for more fun reading when I'm more interested in story and/or getting the overall picture, but haven't done it as of yet.

When I took Disciple classes through my church, people would bring a more standard translation and a message bible and then when we studied passages, we would often read through both and compare.

I think what's most important though is to find a good translation that suits you and then READ it. Then worry about studying and comparing alternate translations later after you've gotten more used to what the Bible says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums