Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You know we are so blessed to have so many translations to choose from. It's funny we are so spoiled that we nick pick every detail for different reasons. But the truth be told if society banned and discarded almost all existing bibles then if we were able to get a hold of just about any translation we would cherish it.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You know we are so blessed to have so many translations to choose from. It's funny we are so spoiled that we nick pick every detail for different reasons. But the truth be told if society banned and discarded almost all existing bibles then if we were able to get a hold of just about any translation we would cherish it.

You are! We have Agricola's 1548 New Testament, the 1642 Old Church Bible, the Year 1776 Biblia, the Year 1933/38 Church Bible, and the 1992 New Church Bible? The first three are unintelligible and even the 1933/1938 uses pseudo-archaic language, making it popular with the Pentecostals and other charismatics. The 1992 translation and the Swedish Bibel 2000 are the norm, so no my-Bible-is-better-than-yours lording and airs here.

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Lutheran Study Bible (ESV) (and Apocrypha)
The Orthodox Study Bible
The Revised Standard Version - Second Catholic Edition

Most of all...

The King James Version (and Apocrypha)

I turned my in lutheran study bible and apocrapha to be binded together. The apocrapha has been added to the intertestament times section of my study bible.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I often wonder why more Lutherans do not use the RSV-2CE, especially the LCMS. It's a good, conservative translation; it's better than the ESV, and, in my opinion, everything the ESV should have been. Plus, it comes with the Apocrypha built-in, unlike the ESV, unless you get the outdated and terribly binded Oxford ESV with Apocrypha.

I suppose the word "Catholic" makes people go "ewww".

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I often wonder why more Lutherans do not use the RSV-2CE, especially the LCMS. It's a good, conservative translation; it's better than the ESV, and, in my opinion, everything the ESV should have been. Plus, it comes with the Apocrypha built-in, unlike the ESV, unless you get the outdated and terribly binded Oxford ESV with Apocrypha.

I was reading your post, and thought "yeah, but it's Catholic, eww!," and then I got to the end. Haha, spot on.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I was reading your post, and thought "yeah, but it's Catholic, eww!," and then I got to the end. Haha, spot on.

LOL

Technically it's a hijacked Protestant translation. In any case, we're far more Catholic than Protestant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married

I'm perfectly fine with the RSV-2CE, and I'm not bothered by its Catholic origin. I don't own one at present but probably will eventually. As to whether I'd like it better than other members of the RSV family, well, that remains to be seen.

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I would actually really like that, I however decided to get the ESV Lutheran Apocrapha and the Lutheran Study Bible binded so I could have one entire volume with the Lutheran notes. Plus, they got rid of my truTone cover and put lamb skin with my name on it. I like it.

Upvote 0

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I used to read the KJV or NIV or NASB. But since about a year I normally use Young's Literal Translation. It's got the best language because it's really close to the Hebrew and Greek, and I often find hints in the text about how the oldtimers may have seen their own words. As I am a german I also have two german bibles, a Gideon New Testament and a Living Word translation.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

HCSB has proven to be a very good translation, better than ESV. And the translators have been willing to listen to suggestions. Soon there will be an update.

Really? I hadn't heard about this. I'm curious where you heard this because I like the HCSB as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I know who said it. I'm interested in knowing how the HCSB has proven to be better than the ESV, and who, if anyone but filosofer, has such an opinion.

I don't think it's a matter of proof so much as it is a matter of preference. I like the HCSB's philosophy of "optimal equivalence". I also like how it includes verses like Acts 8:37 in brackets with a note instead of striking it outright.

Upvote 0