What bible do you find is the most accurate and helpful?

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been shopping for a bible for my adult daughter and have decided to go with the KJV and I wondered if others had a preference? I want it to be the most accurate so settled with the KJV.

My husband had bought me a Ryrie, which I used for years but it bothered me that the name RYRIE was prominent instead of Holy Bible so I won't buy that.

I wanted a bible with a Concordance and thumb tabs but I haven't found one yet that's reasonable. I was looking at study bibles and wondered if others used one and if they like it.

I hope I posted in the right place - I'm still having some trouble navigating this site.

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been shopping for a bible for my adult daughter and have decided to go with the KJV and I wondered if others had a preference? I want it to be the most accurate so settled with the KJV.

My husband had bought me a Ryrie, which I used for years but it bothered me that the name RYRIE was prominent instead of Holy Bible so I won't buy that.

I wanted a bible with a Concordance and thumb tabs but I haven't found one yet that's reasonable. I was looking at study bibles and wondered if others used one and if they like it.

I hope I posted in the right place - I'm still having some trouble navigating this site.
Yes the KJV is the best translation but we need to study the original Hebrew. I use Biblehub online so I can click on the link that looks at the Hebrew and gives us a list of all the scriptures that use that word to gain some understanding through context.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello angeltrue - Last year I got my self a plain, Trinitarian Bible Society, KJV bible. I say plain because there are no cross references, no chapter headings or subheadings and no bottom of the page notes. It's a delight just to read plain text without distractions. I have plenty of study aids, online and off line for when I want to study something specific in depth. But for regular quiet times, yea plain ol' KJV for me.
As for your daughter, well you know her, we don't. Does she already have a/some bibles? Is she a studying kind of person? Will thee s and thou s be problem for her. It puzzles me that they seem to be for a lot of people.
Anyway may God guide you to the right buy.
><>

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Matthew B

Feb 9, 2017
Texas
✟15,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I read that a lot of people who replied use the KJV and I make a weird face sometimes when I see that acronym. I use the NASB because I read/listened/watched somewhere that the NASB is translated word for word from the original language bibles. That makes me know that they didn't add or take away anything. People who grow up in the USA and read the KJV as their main Bible, I don't like that part about them. A lot of people don't learn some of those words in the public schools of America and a lot of people certainly don't talk using them. I have expressed disgust before even talking about the KJV being used as my Bible. :) Thanks for reading and I think you and your daughter should read the NASB. :)

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes the KJV is the best translation but we need to study the original Hebrew. I use Biblehub online so I can click on the link that looks at the Hebrew and gives us a list of all the scriptures that use that word to gain some understanding through context.
Yes I was looking for accuracy. I didn't know we could study the original Hebrew - you say it's on Bible Hub?

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello angeltrue - Last year I got my self a plain, Trinitarian Bible Society, KJV bible. I say plain because there are no cross references, no chapter headings or subheadings and no bottom of the page notes. It's a delight just to read plain text without distractions. I have plenty of study aids, online and off line for when I want to study something specific in depth. But for regular quiet times, yea plain ol' KJV for me.
As for your daughter, well you know her, we don't. Does she already have a/some bibles? Is she a studying kind of person? Will thee s and thou s be problem for her. It puzzles me that they seem to be for a lot of people.
Anyway may God guide you to the right buy.
><>
I've never heard of a Trinitarian. I have just a plain bible now myself. I thought about a study bible but then wondered if interjecting someone else's thoughts might dilute her own interpretation of Scripture - and I wondered how others saw it. I know God gives some the gift of teaching but wasn't sure which way to go.

My daughter is a studious type - the KJV language doesn't bother me either. I was looking at an mp3 player with the bible downloaded but I saw that one can get that free on your cell phone, so I'm going with the bible itself.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

For a "paper" bible I use the English Standard Version, red letter version with concordance ... but for in depth study I go to www.biblehub.com to get to the Greek and Hebrew.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟702,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Try the Trinitarian Bible Society's Westminster reference Bible. Hands down the best printing of the KJV for the money I have ever scene. You can try Amazon, that's where I got mine for about $55. Or, you can try these folks at Evangelical Bible.

TBS KJV Westminster Reference Bible, Black Calfskin - evangelicalbible.com

Schuyler also has the exact same textblock but with a better binding. Personally, I bought TBS version and cannot believe they sell this bible at that price because I would easily pay double.

Upvote 0

Little Lantern

Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world!
Supporter
Sep 14, 2017
USA
✟223,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NASB is a word for word translation, and it's the version I prefer. Like others here, for I study I refer to the original languages. My favorite Bible is the Hebrew-Greek Key Study Bible published by AMG Publishers. It's the best of both worlds because it has key words linked to a special lexicon which has the original languages and fuller definition. If you enjoy Bible study linked to original languages and don't like using the computer, I would highly recommend this Bible.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read that a lot of people who replied use the KJV and I make a weird face sometimes when I see that acronym. I use the NASB because I read/listened/watched somewhere that the NASB is translated word for word from the original language bibles. That makes me know that they didn't add or take away anything. People who grow up in the USA and read the KJV as their main Bible, I don't like that part about them. A lot of people don't learn some of those words in the public schools of America and a lot of people certainly don't talk using them. I have expressed disgust before even talking about the KJV being used as my Bible. :) Thanks for reading and I think you and your daughter should read the NASB. :)
Thanks - I'm unfamiliar with the NASB. The bible I currently have is a NIV but I wanted to ensure that I get one that is closest to the truth. I always thought the KJV was - it's interesting that you read otherwise. It's good to hear from others - thanks for your response. I'll look into that version too.

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a "paper" bible I use the English Standard Version, red letter version with concordance ... but for in depth study I go to www.biblehub.com to get to the Greek and Hebrew.
Excuse me if I'm unfamiliar but do you have to understand Greek & Hebrew or does it translate it for you? I'd like a concordance - I think they're important.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try the Trinitarian Bible Society's Westminster reference Bible. Hands down the best printing of the KJV for the money I have ever scene. You can try Amazon, that's where I got mine for about $55. Or, you can try these folks at Evangelical Bible.

TBS KJV Westminster Reference Bible, Black Calfskin - evangelicalbible.com

Schuyler also has the exact same textblock but with a better binding. Personally, I bought TBS version and cannot believe they sell this bible at that price because I would easily pay double.
Thanks. This is the first I've heard of Trinitarian.

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NASB is a word for word translation, and it's the version I prefer. Like others here, for I study I refer to the original languages. My favorite Bible is the Hebrew-Greek Key Study Bible published by AMG Publishers. It's the best of both worlds because it has key words linked to a special lexicon which has the original languages and fuller definition. If you enjoy Bible study linked to original languages and don't like using the computer, I would highly recommend this Bible.
I just looked it up on Amazon and it has good reviews but they don't show the inside. Since I don't get out I have to rely on online descriptions. I'll have to hunt around online to see if someone shows the inside.

It's interesting that others know to use a Hebrew-Greek study - I never even considered it. Maybe it has to do with the church or bible study you've gone to.

Upvote 0