What "Believers" Refuse to Believe (Part 1)

TogetherInHim

Site Supporter
May 23, 2014
✟59,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Salvation” versus “Inheritance”

We know that “salvation”, receiving Jesus as our Savior and accepting His free gift of eternal life, has no requirements. It is offered to all who call upon His name. There are no works to be considered.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2)​

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Romans 10)​

There is a difference between what it takes to receive “salvation” and what it takes to lay hold of our promised “inheritance”, the kingdom of heaven.

The Scenario

Picture children being adopted by a father. They are given their new father’s name. They are loved and cared for all their life as long as they do not choose to leave their father’s house. They are brought up to have their father’s values and work in their father’s business, learning how to one day run it as their father has done. The father made a will. It included all his children that would ever be adopted, promising them his estate and all his wealth.

The Will-

Each child is a beneficiary named in the father’s will. The father wants his children to have all that he owns, but will not take away their right to do as they please, taking up his offer or going their own way. He put forth certain conditions that each of his children must meet in order to possess what is guaranteed to them by the will according to the father’s wishes.

1. The child must choose to remain in the father’s house and work in his business. They
are free to go.​
2. The child must demonstrate his desire to possess the estate by being productive
according to his father’s expectations.​
3. If the child chooses to leave, he is permitted to go, but can return if he chooses to.

4. If the child chooses to leave and has not returned by the time the will is executed, he
forfeits his inheritance.​

Question 1: Did the children earn their adoption, or was it something that they were given by
the father?​

Question 2: Did the children earn their place in the father’s will, or was it given at birth?

Question 3: Will the children have earned their inheritance by obeying his father’s wishes so
as to possess it?​

What Christians absolutely cannot accept, is that the Lord requires something from those who have received “salvation” and have also been given, free of works, an “inheritance” that must be strived for in order to obtain what has been promised.

Once we have been “born again”, we have been “adopted” into the family of God. We have his name and we have been promised an “inheritance” to be possessed in the future. We have been given an eternal spirit giving us everlasting life. We will one day be resurrected to receive our “inheritance”. We did not earn either our “salvation” (the free gift of everlasting life), or our “inheritance” (the kingdom of heaven).

If we do not distinguish between what constitutes “salvation” from what is expected by our Father to possess what he has promised, (our “inheritance”) then we can never understand what is hidden in the parables…

10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”

11 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. (Luke 8)​

When Jesus says, “The kingdom of heaven is like…” He is not referring to salvation!

He is explaining the “mysteries of the kingdom of heaven”. “Salvation” and our “inheritance” are two separate and distinctly different aspects of our adoption. Both are unmerited, free gifts received by faith. Once we “see” the kingdom of heaven, we must value it enough to seek to possess it at all costs…

Matthew 13:44
[ Hidden Treasure ] “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Matthew 13:45
[ A Costly Pearl ] “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking fine pearls, 46 and upon finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.

Is Jesus saying that we must “buy” the kingdom of heaven? No, but he is saying that obtaining it will cost you everything. If you can’t “see” that there is something required, you will never be able to see the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven revealed.

Mark 10:24
The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!

What?...

How about the Master of the Servants and his expectations? Read it in its entirety…

14 “The kingdom of heaven is like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey.

16 Immediately the one who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and gained five more talents. 17 In the same manner the one who had received the two talents gained two more. 18 But he who received the one talent went away, and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “Now after a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. 20 The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’

22 “Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’

24 “And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’

26 “But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. 27 Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest. 28 Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.’

29 “For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. 30 Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 25)

If you can read that parable and not see that this “Master”, who owns these “slaves” has expectations that have rewards and consequences, then… “but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.” (Luke 8)

Watch a brief video summary of this study at:
www.WhoGoesToHell.com

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
(maybe) A good example: the prodigal son would have perished apart from his father if the prodigal son had not repented.
He would have perished EVEN THOUGH HE HAD RECEIVED HIS INHERITANCE.

God's Blessings have been poured out (daily, every day) on the just and on the unjust, on the righteous and on the unrighteous. Only the righteous will be resurrected to eternal life. Only those with a pure heart will ever see the kingdom of heaven.

How could you be a child ... and, yet, not received a child's inheritance ... unless you formally rejected it ? Sounds like a bit of "sleight of hand" to me.

Even the Prodigal Son received his inheritance ...

Upvote 0

TogetherInHim

Site Supporter
May 23, 2014
✟59,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(maybe) A good example: the prodigal son would have perished apart from his father if the prodigal son had not repented.
He would have perished EVEN THOUGH HE HAD RECEIVED HIS INHERITANCE.

God's Blessings have been poured out (daily, every day) on the just and on the unjust, on the righteous and on the unrighteous. Only the righteous will be resurrected to eternal life. Only those with a pure heart will ever see the kingdom of heaven.

Exactly! When the father of the prodigal son explained to the brother who never left that it was right to celebrate his brother's return, he said, "Son, you have always been with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and rejoice, for this brother of yours was dead and has begun to live, and was lost and has been found.”

While the prodigal son had chosen to be away, to his father he was "lost" and "dead". The door was always open and his father was always watching and hoping. Had he died while absent from his father's house, he would not have been restored to the position of son and received to his father's house (kingdom).

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your thesis is intriguing.

I would ask how you would interpret the following passages ...

Mark 10:15 "Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."

John 5:24 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, ... but is passed from death unto life."

Colossians 1:13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son ...

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

We know that “salvation”, receiving Jesus as our Savior and accepting His free gift of eternal life, has no requirements.

Well, beginning with the opening line there's already a contradiction in terms: "receiving Jesus ... accepting" sounds an awful lot like a requirement to me.

In fact, that would be a work on our part.

If you are going to say "salvation doesn't require our works, except for this one work we have to do" then obviously you are not really thinking this through or you are being disingenuous.

When I was a child I remember a neighbor girl, she was only maybe 4 or 5, with water on a really hot summer day. The sign she (well, her parents more likely) put up read, "Free water for a dollar."

It's not really free if I have to pay a dollar for it now is it?

If salvation is by God's grace alone, apart from our efforts, then that must actually be the case. Otherwise what you are doing is offering free water for a dollar. Sure, maybe the water isn't a hundred dollars, or even five dollars, but it's still a dollar--and not free.

I would maintain that our salvation from God is, in fact, free, not "free". It doesn't cost a dollar, i.e. it isn't about the bare minimum of efforts, it's completely and utterly apart from our efforts. It's God's action and God's action only. Monergism.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: JojoM
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We know that “salvation”, receiving Jesus as our Savior and accepting His free gift of eternal life, has no requirements. It is offered to all who call upon His name. There are no works to be considered.

True, but it's deeper than that.
Lets say you call upon the "Supreme Court". That's one thing.
Now call upon
"Ruth Bader Ginsburg"

See the difference? It's not just saying "Jesus". People do that all daylong.

Upvote 0

TogetherInHim

Site Supporter
May 23, 2014
✟59,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your thesis is intriguing.

I would ask how you would interpret the following passages ...

Mark 10:15 "Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."

John 5:24 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, ... but is passed from death unto life."

Colossians 1:13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son ...

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Gladly!

The context:

“Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” 16 And He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them. (Mark 10)​

Jesus used the example of children coming to him as those who enter the kingdom of heaven through childlike faith. He was not suggesting that we must be children, but that we come as a child would come, without a complete understanding. The reason why children are more likely to come is because they don't have all the baggage that intellect and life experience weighs them down with. If we come to Jesus insisting on knowing him apart from his requirement of having faith (relying on intellect only), we will not enter in at all.

This is about "salvation", not "entrance to the kingdom of heaven".

Will not be condemned to what? Condemned to death...

Jesus clarified it to Nicodemus...

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

(John 3)​

Condemned already? Before the final judgment? Yes, condemned to “death” under the curse that Adam brought into the world. If you don’t come to Jesus, you are condemned to death, being mortal.

Without the context, one cannot see what Paul is taking into account to make the past tense statement, "transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son". He is taking into account the testimony of the life that these Colossian believers were living...

3 We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints;
Jesus said, "You will know my disciples by their love one for another." This demonstration of love for other believers is a requirement for entrance into the kingdom of heaven. Without it, you will not be able to do the things that will test you and demonstrate your "love" through kindness, patience, long-suffering, etc. Paul is believing this to be the case and stating the result of entrance to the kingdom of heaven.

5 because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel
"The hope" to be realized in heaven based on the demonstration of their life's walk in this life.

6 which has come to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you heard of it and understood the grace of God in truth;
"Constantly bearing fruit and increasing" is a requirement of entrance to the kingdom seen in most parables in great detail.

7 just as you learned it from Epaphras, our beloved fellow bond-servant, who is a faithful servant of Christ on our behalf, 8 and he also informed us of your love in the Spirit.

9 For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,

10 so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;

11 strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously

Here it comes...

12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.

13 For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
"Salvation" results in the kingdom "realm" becoming opened up to us (past tense) when we have been born again into the spirit. We have access to God through Christ and he hears our prayers and that we "may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding" so that he can lead us all the way into the kingdom having made available all we need to meet his reasonable expectations of entry that Paul defined above.

As described in the "adoption scenario" at the beginning, all these things happen the day we are born again.

However, the context immediately preceding these verses...

4 And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice and precious in the sight of God, 5 you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For this is contained in Scripture:

“Behold, I lay in Zion a choice stone, a precious corner stone,
And he who believes in Him will not be disappointed.”

7 This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve,

“The stone which the builders rejected,
This became the very corner stone,”

8 and, “A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense”; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.

9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light...
"But you"... Those who "offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ" and do not "stumble because they are disobedient to the word" are this chosen race and holy nation.

The previous "builders" failed. If we fail to offer up his expected spiritual sacrifices and are disobedient to the word, we will also stumble and fail to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Many Christians do not believe that there are consequences for ignoring the commandments of Jesus, to whom he will say, "Why do you call me 'Lord' and do not do the things that I say."

18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits. 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Matthew 7​

Entrance to the kingdom of heaven is all about the fruit...

Upvote 0

TogetherInHim

Site Supporter
May 23, 2014
✟59,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, beginning with the opening line there's already a contradiction in terms: "receiving Jesus ... accepting" sounds an awful lot like a requirement to me.

If you are going to say "salvation doesn't require our works, except for this one work we have to do" then obviously you are not really thinking this through or you are being disingenuous.

When I was a child I remember a neighbor girl, she was only maybe 4 or 5, with water on a really hot summer day. The sign she (well, her parents more likely) put up read, "Free water for a dollar."

If salvation is by God's grace alone, apart from our efforts, then that must actually be the case. Otherwise what you are doing is offering free water for a dollar. Sure, maybe the water isn't a hundred dollars, or even five dollars, but it's still a dollar--and not free.

I would maintain that our salvation from God is, in fact, free, not "free". It doesn't cost a dollar, i.e. it isn't about the bare minimum of efforts, it's completely and utterly apart from our efforts. It's God's action and God's action only. Monergism.

-CryptoLutheran

Interesting that you have so far removed our part of receiving salvation that we are not even required to "think" because you are calling that "work".

We are required to "hear". We are required to "believe in our heart", We are required to "confess with our mouth". Is this "work" that makes the gift not "free"?

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. Roman 10​

In your example of "Free water for a dollar", no, one dollar is not free. But you take it to the extreme of, "If I have to pick up the cup and drink, then it's not free because I have to do something to possess it."

The "free gift of God" must be picked up and consumed or you will not receive it or get to enjoy it.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our inheritance is the Kingdom of God, which we receive through faith in Jesus Christ to salvation.

Your confusing issues of salvation and discipleship. Salvation is based on grace and its free. Discipleship is based on eternal rewards and it's costly...

God tells us who we are first, then He tells us what to do.. there is a progression and it's a lifetime of growing in Christ Jesus.

But our salvation, our inheritance, in that we can be sure just as the thief on the cross was sure.

Discipleship and our desire to be good disciples of Christ and our walk in fellowship with Christ is merely the response to what was freely given..and while it's a response all who are saved have, where we are on that path affects only our reward.. otherwise we cannot say salvation is freely given.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Interesting that you have so far removed our part of receiving salvation that we are not even required to "think" because you are calling that "work".

We are required to "hear". We are required to "believe in our heart", We are required to "confess with our mouth". Is this "work" that makes the gift not "free"?

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. Roman 10​

In your example of "Free water for a dollar", no, one dollar is not free. But you take it to the extreme of, "If I have to pick up the cup and drink, then it's not free because I have to do something to possess it."

The "free gift of God" must be picked up and consumed or you will not receive it or get to enjoy it.

Don't stop reading Romans 10, keep reading. Notice what the Apostle says in verse 17.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

TogetherInHim

Site Supporter
May 23, 2014
✟59,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't stop reading Romans 10, keep reading. Notice what the Apostle says in verse 17.

-CryptoLutheran

Ok... Verse 17 says one needs to "hear" to receive. Is that a work on our part too? The preceding verse says we must also "heed" the good news...a "work" as you define it?

16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.​

If you do not "heed" the word, engage it, embrace it, claim it and make it yours through faith (not just hearing the "sound" of the good news words as it is spoken) it is not "believed" as Isaiah sees it...

Heeding the word is a response to what has been heard, not a work to "earn" what has been offered for free.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ok... Verse 17 says one needs to "hear" to receive. Is that a work on our part too? The preceding verse says we must also "heed" the good news...a "work" as you define it?

16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.​

If you do not "heed" the word, engage it, embrace it, claim it and make it yours through faith (not just hearing the "sound" of the good news words as it is spoken) it is not "believed" as Isaiah sees it...

Heeding the word is a response to what has been heard, not a work to "earn" what has been offered for free.

Hearing is passive. I don't believe faith comes by my doing a thing, but by God's action. It is God's action through the word of the Gospel that creates faith. That is why faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. I am a passive agent, it is God working, creating faith in me. After all this faith is "not of yourselves, it is the gift of God" as St. Paul says in Ephesians 2:8.

That is why Christ called and commanded His Church to preach the Gospel and to baptize, because it is through these that God actually works to convert people to Himself, by His grace.

No, not all will ὑπήκουσαν (hypekousan, "under-hear" "hearken") to the Gospel, many will resist and reject it. But it is not our "yes" to the Gospel that is salvific, it is the very working of God Himself to create faith in us by His grace, His gift alone, which is salvific.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

TogetherInHim

Site Supporter
May 23, 2014
✟59,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hearing is passive. I don't believe faith comes by my doing a thing, but by God's action. It is God's action through the word of the Gospel that creates faith. That is why faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. I am a passive agent, it is God working, creating faith in me. After all this faith is "not of yourselves, it is the gift of God" as St. Paul says in Ephesians 2:8.

That is why Christ called and commanded His Church to preach the Gospel and to baptize, because it is through these that God actually works to convert people to Himself, by His grace.

No, not all will ὑπήκουσαν (hypekousan, "under-hear" "hearken") to the Gospel, many will resist and reject it. But it is not our "yes" to the Gospel that is salvific, it is the very working of God Himself to create faith in us by His grace, His gift alone, which is salvific.

-CryptoLutheran

So why do we even need to hear it if there is nothing for us to consider and choose for ourselves to possess? Are we just buns in God's oven? You are suggesting that we can't even accept or reject his free gift because that would be us doing something that only he can do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So why do we even need to hear it if there is nothing for us to consider and choose for ourselves to possess? Are we just buns in God's oven? You are suggesting that we can't even accept or reject his free gift because that would be us doing something that only he can do?

We can reject, after all that's in our nature, but no, we cannot turn toward God in our own power to accept His salvation. That's God's work alone.

And we need to hear for precisely the reason Paul says in Romans 10, "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent?" It is precisely the Gospel that creates faith, so it is precisely for this reason Christ has commanded His Church to preach the Gospel.

That by the preaching of the word we might believe in Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

TogetherInHim

Site Supporter
May 23, 2014
✟59,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can reject, after all that's in our nature, but no, we cannot turn toward God in our own power to accept His salvation. That's God's work alone.

And we need to hear for precisely the reason Paul says in Romans 10, "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent?" It is precisely the Gospel that creates faith, so it is precisely for this reason Christ has commanded His Church to preach the Gospel.

That by the preaching of the word we might believe in Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2)​

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Romans 10)​

There is a difference between what it takes to receive “salvation” and what it takes to lay hold of our promised “inheritance”, the kingdom of heaven.

The Scenario

Picture children being adopted by a father. They are given their new father’s name. They are loved and cared for all their life as long as they do not choose to leave their father’s house. They are brought up to have their father’s values and work in their father’s business, learning how to one day run it as their father has done. The father made a will. It included all his children that would ever be adopted, promising them his estate and all his wealth.

The Will-

Each child is a beneficiary named in the father’s will. The father wants his children to have all that he owns, but will not take away their right to do as they please, taking up his offer or going their own way. He put forth certain conditions that each of his children must meet in order to possess what is guaranteed to them by the will according to the father’s wishes.

1. The child must choose to remain in the father’s house and work in his business. They
are free to go.​
2. The child must demonstrate his desire to possess the estate by being productive
according to his father’s expectations.​
3. If the child chooses to leave, he is permitted to go, but can return if he chooses to.

4. If the child chooses to leave and has not returned by the time the will is executed, he
forfeits his inheritance.​

Question 1: Did the children earn their adoption, or was it something that they were given by
the father?​

Question 2: Did the children earn their place in the father’s will, or was it given at birth?

Question 3: Will the children have earned their inheritance by obeying his father’s wishes so
as to possess it?​

What Christians absolutely cannot accept, is that the Lord requires something from those who have received “salvation” and have also been given, free of works, an “inheritance” that must be strived for in order to obtain what has been promised.

Once we have been “born again”, we have been “adopted” into the family of God. We have his name and we have been promised an “inheritance” to be possessed in the future. We have been given an eternal spirit giving us everlasting life. We will one day be resurrected to receive our “inheritance”. We did not earn either our “salvation” (the free gift of everlasting life), or our “inheritance” (the kingdom of heaven).

If we do not distinguish between what constitutes “salvation” from what is expected by our Father to possess what he has promised, (our “inheritance”) then we can never understand what is hidden in the parables…

10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”

11 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. (Luke 8)​

When Jesus says, “The kingdom of heaven is like…” He is not referring to salvation!

He is explaining the “mysteries of the kingdom of heaven”. “Salvation” and our “inheritance” are two separate and distinctly different aspects of our adoption. Both are unmerited, free gifts received by faith. Once we “see” the kingdom of heaven, we must value it enough to seek to possess it at all costs…

Matthew 13:44
[ Hidden Treasure ] “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Matthew 13:45
[ A Costly Pearl ] “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking fine pearls, 46 and upon finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.

Is Jesus saying that we must “buy” the kingdom of heaven? No, but he is saying that obtaining it will cost you everything. If you can’t “see” that there is something required, you will never be able to see the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven revealed.

Mark 10:24
The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!

What?...

How about the Master of the Servants and his expectations? Read it in its entirety…

14 “The kingdom of heaven is like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey.

16 Immediately the one who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and gained five more talents. 17 In the same manner the one who had received the two talents gained two more. 18 But he who received the one talent went away, and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “Now after a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. 20 The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’

22 “Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’

24 “And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’

26 “But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. 27 Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest. 28 Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.’

29 “For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. 30 Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 25)

If you can read that parable and not see that this “Master”, who owns these “slaves” has expectations that have rewards and consequences, then… “but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.” (Luke 8)

Watch a brief video summary of this study at:
www.WhoGoesToHell.com

Nice example of the father & adopted children. Just because requirements are placed on salvation doesn’t mean salvation is earned. The requirements are automatically achieved if the person has a saving faith. It is the type of faith we have that produces these required qualities that saves us. Not the qualities themselves but the type of faith that produces them. A faith that doesn’t produce them isn’t a saving faith. So yes we are saved by faith alone provided it is the right kind of faith. This is what James discusses in chapter 2 verses 14-26.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are going to say "salvation doesn't require our works, except for this one work we have to do" then obviously you are not really thinking this through or you are being disingenuous.When I was a child I remember a neighbor girl, she was only maybe 4 or 5, with water on a really hot summer day. The sign she (well, her parents more likely) put up read, "Free water for a dollar."
-CryptoLutheran
Does God or Jesus forcibly save people against their will?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Does God or Jesus forcibly save people against their will?

I certainly hope so, otherwise we're all damned. If it was left to me, my works, my choices, and my sinful abominable will I would walk straight into hell. So I hope in nothing other than God's kindness, mercy, and grace shown to me in Christ, who I cleave to alone for my salvation, hoping and trusting only in Him and not myself.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0