Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
All the abuse cases and now reading this.

Report: Pope resigned in wake of gay priest scandal

Does the Pope have the authority to kick the keesters who who's out of their positions? Demote them to nobodies?

I would like to know his authoirty to correct these problems, if any. I hope to get some answers. I assume he holds authority to remove anyone. Am I wrong? TYIA for any answers.

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Do you really believe everything that you read in papers ?

No I don't. Not all of the news either. I am just wondering what authority the Pope has. Can he demote, take away or boot out those who consistently break their vows? Or are they in there for life? Just wondering how far his authority goes.

Edit: I consider the Pope the head honcho, the main boss. If he said I was out, I would actually believe it.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He can remove people from offices and the priesthood. Although someone is forever a priest...they can have the active facilities removed and be forbidden to act as one. Canon law grants him a large about of power in that area. There is a format and procedure. But for severe things he can streamline it pretty effectively.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Pope will remove someone 'if' there is no reasonable doubt of the wrong doing - after an investigation.
Investigations include interviews with witnesses, information forthcoming etc.
And of course recommendation the person be removed.
IF there is doubts that the person is not entirely guilty - for whatever reason only those who investigated [and the Pope] knows - they are not always let go.

Upvote 0