what authority does the average christian today have?

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe that all true Christians have power over demons if they approach them in the name of: Christ / Jesus, or Father, Son and Holy Spirit etc.

I believe they also have the authority to pray the prayer of Faith over the sick, and sometimes this can bring supernatural results, aka the person is healed, or recovers much faster than is normally possible.

I believe that people have the authority to preach the basic message of the Gospel. Although, In many ways this authority is more of a responsibility.

I believe that Christian parents (or single people) also are suppose to exorcise authority order over their house and to make it a spiritual center.

I guess I believe in authority in most common areas that many Protestants, the big parting of the ways comes with things like defining doctrine. A person can and should read the Bible when it comes to getting wisdom for their life etc. but there are lots of problems when it comes to defining doctrine. This is especially true when it comes to wanting to go against established Christian teaching coming from ancient times etc. When this happens it real easy to do things like "remove the ancient boundary stones", and overstep your authority and even set up a lot of negative precedents.

I don't really claim a perfect answer to the problem. I don't like the heritage of Anabaptists on the Christian Tradition, but also think they should be free to do their own thing.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟702,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe that all true Christians have power over demons if they approach them in the name of: Christ / Jesus, or Father, Son and Holy Spirit etc.

I believe they also have the authority to pray the prayer of Faith over the sick, and sometimes this can bring supernatural results, aka the person is healed, or recovers much faster than is normally possible.

I believe that people have the authority to preach the basic message of the Gospel. Although, In many ways this authority is more of a responsibility.

I believe that Christian parents (or single people) also are suppose to exorcise authority order over their house and to make it a spiritual center.

I guess I believe in authority in most common areas that many Protestants, the big parting of the ways comes with things like defining doctrine. A person can and should read the Bible when it comes to getting wisdom for their life etc. but there are lots of problems when it comes to defining doctrine. This is especially true when it comes to wanting to go against established Christian teaching coming from ancient times etc. When this happens it real easy to do things like "remove the ancient boundary stones", and overstep your authority and even set up a lot of negative precedents.

I don't really claim a perfect answer to the problem. I don't like the heritage of Anabaptists on the Christian Tradition, but also think they should be free to do their own thing.
Good answer. Perhaps I can say it a little better. Allow me a little rope here. We are all doulos or slaves of Christ. All authority was given to Him. Matt 28. Where Christ commands us we follow. Where He does not then we do not. Not to say there isn’t room for Christian freedom. But with that freedom comes much responsibility.
As to doctrine I agree. I am very cautious about overturning wisdom of the ECF especially the first four Ecumenical councils. After that I see them working out in finer detail what has already been established. That’s why I’m a Reformed Anglican. There is a place for tradition but firmly believe that we should exercise extreme caution when adding to or taking away what has been given us. To the point I would say it’s mostly a bad idea unless scripture commands it.

I could write a book qualifying everything I said but I think you get the point.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟75,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We have the power to move God to cause our nation to become secure and blessed.

We also have the power to move God to have our freedoms and blessings removed and to become another forgotten nation that was once great in history......

When Jesus walked the earth 'salt' was not only seen as a flavor enhancer. It was commonly used as a means for preserving. Since we have refrigeration today, such use is less common.

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how
can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except
to be thrown out and trampled underfoot."

Jesus was talking to a crowd of people who were positive to hearing Him teach. They were loving the Word of God. Because of this love for the Word seen by God, God acted as their "preservative" to their local and national well being. That is why Jesus stated that they were "the salt" of the earth. The land they lived on was being preserved and blessed by God because of their positive attitude towards growing in grace and knowledge of God's Word.

Jesus also warned them about if they should stop being "salt." That they would become seen as worthless in God's sight to be tossed out and thrown on the ground to be trampled underfoot by men.

That is the authority wise believers have in relation to their wanting to grow more and more in knowledge and understanding. Such positive believers will act as the preservative to be found in their land. They may be few. But, it did not take much salt to preserve a serving of a fish or beef jerky.

grace and peace ..........

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Great question.. the word tell us.. OT deals with things we see every day and as long as we don't know the enemy is very happy.

Christ or GOD said "Behold I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power/authority of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you." Need to look into one of these words for many times its authority.

So just what did GOD gave man that Satan lie and take. In that what rights/authority do we still have?

Upvote 0