What are your parents' religious beliefs?

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious. What are the religious beliefs of your parents? Do you know? Are they the same as your own?

It just occurred to me that I'm finding conflicting information on what denomination or group my parents followed and I'm rather curious. Time to start asking a bit around the family!

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My parents were Evangelical Christians up until I was about 4 years old, when they left the church they were attending because 'politics' made their church group disband from each other and create two separate churches; after that, they became non-denominational(which they still are, and I am as well).

Upvote 0

Gym

CF's Ruskie
Sep 10, 2009
✟12,239.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious. What are the religious beliefs of your parents? Do you know? Are they the same as your own?

It just occurred to me that I'm finding conflicting information on what denomination or group my parents followed and I'm rather curious. Time to start asking a bit around the family!

My father is Christian but a different denomination.
My mother is dead.

Reactions: Wren
Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My mom is a Christian... She's not particularly committed to a specific denomination.
Not the slightest clue about my dad. Christian, last I knew.

Edit:

Oh, and they are very different then mine. I go to an Orthodox church, which is quite far from the beliefs of anyone else in my family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Christmas & Easter Catholics. I was baptised, got my first Communion, Confirmed. But it was probably more about family tradition than anything. My father's side is quite religious (my grandfather and aunt pulled a Marty Crane and went to Ottawa to protest againt abortion and Gramps has appeared in political articles for the Conservative party in his district. He's gotten really fanatical in his old age...), and my dad was an alter boy (which I found rather hilarious), but I don't remember him ever being particularly hardcore in his belief system; at least in my life. My mother's mother (from what I remember; she lived with us) did go to church up until I was three or four, then stopped going. For whatever reason.

I did go to Catholic school, for what reason I'm not sure. All the public schools were really, really large, and the Catholic school I did attend had maybe 300 kids. My Catholic high school had 600 kids (all girls, ay carumba!), but had/has a really good reputation in the city. There were educational reasons I went to my high school, but I'm not really sure why they chose a Catholic elementary school. I have no idea if I went to Catholic school with my parents hoping I would benefit from some religious instruction, if they did it to keep the peace or if my elementary school was just the school in the area, reasonably close, that they liked the best.

I know neither of them are Atheists, but I do think they fall into the camp a lot of us lasped Catholics do. They might believe Jesus was a good teacher, but that everyone - when it comes down to it - is just looking for one basic thing, and that all faiths have something unique and beneficial to offer. That might not be the popular viewpoint on here (and I'm sure we'll be accused of never really being Catholic); but we seem to fit in with most people. We don't really come across as religious fanatics, but we're not particularly public about our faith either. If anyone asks, my Dad will say he's Catholic or that I was raised in a Catholic family, but my grandfather, and certainly a lot of posters on here, would make him and I look like the anti-Christ.

For whatever reason, I don't have particularly deep conversations with my mum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mostly Catholic, although a good portion of my maternal grandmother's side was/is Methodist or Nazarene. Because of the closeness we have with that part of the family, we were raised Methodist (and my dad converted to it as well at some point before we were born), although in a lot of ways it was a more superficial attachment - I didn't get a really good, solid picture of Wesleyan theology until after I left High School. Looking back, aside from vaguely acknowledging John Wesley, the only things that were sort of distinctly Methodist that we were true to were being Arminian, and just being rather confused about the whole bubble subculture and averse to legalism. None of that was really evident to me then, though.

A lot of the problem is because of the AM radio preachers and prominent Christian organizations that my dad got literature and all from, which then was repeated back onto us kids. Some of that stuff actually directly runs counter to normative and traditional Methodist beliefs, or it would change with whomever was the popular talking point at the time. You could do hard swings from relatively 'normal' premillennialism or 'Revelation as unknown symbology' argument to the completely whacked-out dispensationalist nonsense about a one world government, the European Union being the Beast (with the Euro as the Mark), and so on. Or on the topic of Origins, being more open to the idea that God could use evolution as a tool (albeit without endorsing the view) to hardcore Young Earth Creationism that makes a point of openly scoffing at references to the Earth being more than a few thousand years old, and doing so as though it's some sort of sacred requirement. It's really no wonder, when coupled with hormones and normal crises of adolescent development, why my spiritual condition in High School was so dark and abysmally bleak. On many topics there wasn't a discernible consistency to what we were being told outside of the nominal Nicene/Apostle's Creeds.

With my own beliefs, my burgeoning post-High School interest in Church history necessarily made me look at Catholic beliefs more critically, and found a very different picture than what we'd been presented with growing up (since some of what we were raised with was the stock anti-Catholic sentiment that comes from the not-quite-fundamentalist crowd...never went so far as to call the Pope the Antichrist, but many of the other misconceptions and distortions Protestants lob at Catholic doctrine or parishioners were there). That influenced me in varying ways, and then when I finally looked in depth at Methodist beliefs, I found that I was pretty much a dead ringer. Since that time, though, I've progressively gotten higher church about things, but still remain strongly Methodist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My parents belong to the evangelical-lutheran church, but they don't attend except for Christmas and Easter maybe. I know for a fact though that they've used to been really devoted and they even met at some christian student event... As far as beliefs go, I honestly don't know; we never talk about it. I'd say that they're not really Christian in the traditional sense anyways, but I'm really not sure.

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

My folks have been all sorts of things! But right now, they're folks on their own journey of faith to find the origin of faith. We're not tied to any denom or any church or group. We support various Christian as well as Messianic groups. But faith is our own walk. We can't get there hanging on to the coat tails of others. I may fellowship with my parents but I don't agree with everything they say 100%! My faith is my own and I still have my own views. I'm just a crazy girl on a journey to find the truth!

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
scraparcs this is a great idea for a thread

when i was a child my mom was not a believer, she never liked the idea of the Trinity and then she had a dream and became a Christian and is now a Methodist, I was able to be with her when she was baptised
my Dad is Catholic, me and him have always gone to Mass together, well except for when I was away at university and I went to mass on campus or at a local church in the town my uni was in

Upvote 0