• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What are your opinions on taking antidepressants?

Apr 12, 2021
Hamilton
✟8,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also I would like to note that many commercials on antidepressants say that some of the side effects are suicidal thoughts also there is commercials that say if your antidepressants not working maybe add this I strongly recommend that you do not start them this can be resolved you must get to the root of the problem

Upvote 0

alkaloid

Apr 13, 2021
Toronto
✟10,327.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Also I would like to note that many commercials on antidepressants say that some of the side effects are suicidal thoughts also there is commercials that say if your antidepressants not working maybe add this I strongly recommend that you do not start them this can be resolved you must get to the root of the problem

Yes! This happened to me on the first antidepressant my doctor put me on. Not only that, but I had weird experiences/side effects.

There is no magic pill that will help you overcome depression. A lot of it has to do with you personally putting in the work to change how you think and to understand why you think the way you do/getting to the root of it. It's definitely possible though (I'm proof!) So don't give up on trying all your options

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I personally didn't have the greatest experience with them. They helped briefly, but not in the way that I wanted it to. You definitely can't solely rely on them to help you overcome depression though. You'll still have to go for counseling/therapy. Overcoming depression has a lot to do with how you think and teaching yourself to unlearn those things and relearn healthy ways of thinking. I don't shame anyone who wants to try them because everyone's recovery is different.

Yep I fall in this category too. The goal is overcoming depression and bad thinking - they can help make this possible in some cases by being 1 dimension of a solution to a 3-dimensional problem, when having just 1 or 2 would leave me flat on my face ;)

• Agree
Reactions: alkaloid
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i suffer from a depressive illness and took years to learn to understand that i can be depressed without having to be in that pit. Antidepressants don't work for me. i tried them all.

Depression can be very physical but always effects us spiritually, and can harm is with untold misery if we don't take hiding beneath His shield of faith in God's love over us because of our faith in Jesus.

i know it is about doing away with depressive lies and letting God's word guide and protect me. A spirit build by Him lasts and can overcome the negativity of depression, even if as an illness it continues unabated, as it is with me.

Psalms 34
I will extol the Lord at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the Lord;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the Lord with me;
let us exalt his name together.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.

Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
for those who fear him lack nothing.
The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from telling lies.
Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
and his ears are attentive to their cry;
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
to blot out their name from the earth.

The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

The righteous person may have many troubles,
but the Lord delivers him from them all;
he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

Evil will slay the wicked;
the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord will rescue his servants;
no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Improving physical health will help as well. Russian doctors successfully use supervised fasting as a treatment of mental problems. "Chemical" imbalances in the brain can be caused by...chemicals, some of which can only be expunged by fasting.

Upvote 0

alkaloid

Apr 13, 2021
Toronto
✟10,327.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Improving physical health will help as well. Russian doctors successfully use supervised fasting as a treatment of mental problems. "Chemical" imbalances in the brain can be caused by...chemicals, some of which can only be expunged by fasting.

They say that the stomach/digestive tract is our 3rd brain! If you feed yourself good food too, it helps improve our moods. Fasting helps reset our bodies too and the gut bacteria and flora too, so I can see why they'd come to that conclusion.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0