What are your feelings on American christianty compared to other places?

What are your feelings on American christianty compared to other places?

• America is the BEST. We are perfect!

• America is pretty good, not to many issues.

• America is somewhere in the middle.

• America has gone down hill.

• America is has just become terrible!

• Other..... (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

krugerpark

Oct 16, 2012
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
denominations are mentioned in the bible. It neither says they are a good thing or a bad thing. People don't tend to realise it despite being in plain sight but there were different groups within Judaism. They essentially were the same as denominations.

I'm not sure where to look for that, the nearest thing I can think of is when Paul says that some say they follow Paul, some say they follow Apollos, whatever, other than that the only unique identifying name is the region the church was built in.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's more accurate to see them as factions within one religion, as opposed to what denominations are. IOW, more like our charismatics and post-millennialists (which can be found in any number of denominations) than Lutherans and Baptists.
I can see what your saying and today your probably right. at the start of denominations i think is comparable. of course lutherans are a bad example to use as that denomination was forced into existence by catholic church heirarchy.

Upvote 0

Eloy

Light
Sep 16, 2012
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Freedom is precious, but because many choose to abuse their freedom and use it as a license to sin, that is on them as an individual and is not reflective of the country. In your spouses foreign country, as well as in our America, you will find both obedient Christians and others who miscall themselves Christian when they do not know Christ. Also it is important to know that "Religion" is "Not Christianity". Religion is man's rules and regulations with zero God involved: and Christianity is the soul's rebirth from Christ, and the relationship of the transformed soul becoming God's child.

Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
America is full of "Christians" who do not care one wit for the poor in their own neighborhood, who are too reliant on their toys, and refuse to give up comforts so a family in their neighborhood can have more than one meal a day.

(By the way, my husband and I can only afford to eat one meal a day.)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can see what your saying and today your probably right. at the start of denominations i think is comparable. of course lutherans are a bad example to use as that denomination was forced into existence by catholic church heirarchy.

I guess you mean that it's a denomination against its own wishes. That's right, but it's still a denomination, isn't it? :confused:;)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I regret that the poll doesn't separate Americans from citizens and subjects of other countries when asking the question. What do the final totals tell us, then?

But I'd say that we know a few things nonetheless. Americans are way above averge for belief in God, probably third among all Christian nations, and most of us are Christians. And the percentage of professed Christians who attend worship services regularly is way above most other Christian countries. We are clearly the most giving nation on Earth. When natural disasters occur anywhere, or when it comes to ordinary day-to-day assistance, it's primarily the USA that responds.

But as to the individual's sincerity and all of that, who can say?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1) Christians have a lot of freedom in America. That's a good thing.
2) Many of us are too complacent in our faith because we don't have to face adversity. We take things for granted.
3) Freedom has a downside though. There is way more variation here in the US regarding Christianity. This isn't good, at all. There aren't multiple versions of the truth to be had (many even contradict each other). There are a lot of false teachings out there perverting the Christian faith- and America seems to be the starting point for many of them. I see a general lack of discernment, and a lot of arrogance. Unfortunately, those groups want to spread their version of the gospel around the world.

I read something recently on another message board about American Missionaries heading off to spread their brand of Christendom in Iraq. These guys head to one village and are completely surprised to find that it is a Christian village. They thought they knew all of the evangelizing groups in the area.

'Who evangelized you?' one man incredulously asked a group of villagers.

One man thought for a moment and then answered, 'St. Paul did.'

Upvote 0

krugerpark

Oct 16, 2012
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
I regret that the poll doesn't separate Americans from citizens and subjects of other countries when asking the question. What do the final totals tell us, then?

But I'd say that we know a few things nonetheless. Americans are way above averge for belief in God, probably third among all Christian nations, and most of us are Christians. And the percentage of professed Christians who attend worship services regularly is way above most other Christian countries. We are clearly the most giving nation on Earth. When natural disasters occur anywhere, or when it comes to ordinary day-to-day assistance, it's primarily the USA that responds.

But as to the individual's sincerity and all of that, who can say?

If you've seen real Christianity first hand you'll be pretty disgusted with what happens in America... people lack knowledge

one of the things that happens when America helps you is in the case of Japan with the tsunami they had, Obama allowed them help so long as they agreed to not build any more nuclear reactors

this is due to the fact that Obama and the people he represents need an oil monopoly. So it was a curse and blessing to be helped, not what it should be.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you've seen real Christianity first hand you'll be pretty disgusted with what happens in America... people lack knowledge

Maybe, maybe not. It's not as though I haven't "seen real (?) Christianity" in other countries, and I can't say as it was a lot different except in incidentals. However, my post meant to deal with that which we can say is factual, not with value judgments like you present to us.

one of the things that happens when America helps you is in the case of Japan with the tsunami they had, Obama allowed them help so long as they agreed to not build any more nuclear reactors

And how does that compare with the rest of the world? Oh yes, most countries didn't help at all. And I think you may be referring to government aid, if what you say is even true, not to the charitable agencies that millions of ordinary people contribute to.

this is due to the fact that Obama and the people he represents need an oil monopoly.

Surely you can come up with a more credible conspiracy theory than THAT one. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

krugerpark

Oct 16, 2012
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
America gives out of its riches. I'm not sure what you mean by consipiracy theroes considering energy watchdogs have recently reported Obamas going to drill for so much oil that America will be energy independent by 2020 or so. What about nuclear power and electric cars? Why put stipulations like that on a peaceful country

sure, no other country helps like that, but no one else has the capacity to. So what you do with that capacity you will be judged for. And Obama has been using foreign aid on a conditional basis making sure to stunt their economic growth once the recovery is underway. Japan is going to struggle thanks to this now

All you have to do is read stories about the way it is in other countries, the things God is doing, to be ashamed of how your own people respond to it.

Upvote 0

krugerpark

Oct 16, 2012
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Unofficially. IOW, to about the same extent that it remains that today.

Without metrics you can say anything

2/3 of the founding fathers were Christian Protestant... let's just start with that

the hospital and school in most frontier towns used to be the church also

the population saw very low divorce rates, crime rates, teen pregnancy rates, up until the 70's after several laws were passed, the notable one being the removal of prayer from schools.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
America gives out of its riches.

The millions of ordinary, even poor, people who give generously would amaze you if you only knew. Fortunately, other people DO know and it's a very impressive reality.

sure, no other country helps like that, but no one else has the capacity to.

Totally irrelevant. It's what the financial status of each giver is that matters, not some aggregate. And besides, how do you justify other nations of similar well-being trailing far behind?

All you have to do is read stories about the way it is in other countries, the things God is doing, to be ashamed of how your own people respond to it.

I think you need to read more accurate reports before making up your mind

Upvote 0

krugerpark

Oct 16, 2012
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
The millions of ordinary, even poor, people who give generously would amaze you if you only knew. Fortunately, other people DO know and it's a very impressive reality.

An interesting (and necessary) comparison is between the poor in America and the poor in countries of the world without opportunity (a place like South Africa for example)

Totally irrelevant. It's what the financial status of each giver is that matters, not some aggregate. And besides, how do you justify other nations of similar well-being trailing far behind?

Totally irrelevant? What other country has as many carriers, aircraft, troops, and a logistical system in place like America. None of them come close. Without these things money can do nothing.

I think you need to read more accurate reports before making up your mind

I think I do too, which is why I am so careful to do so

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
An interesting (and necessary) comparison is between the poor in America and the poor in countries of the world without opportunity (a place like South Africa for example)

No, you can't make your point by finding someone somewhere who's poorer than the poor I was referring to in the USA. All that is needed in order to rebut your claim that since American is supposedly rich, everyone in it must be rich, too. In fact, as I'm explaining that simple fact, I realise that it's so obvious I shouldn't be bothering to rebut it.

Totally irrelevant? What other country has as many carriers, aircraft, troops, and a logistical system in place like America

Have you totally given up on the topic we were discussing? Anyway, the answer to your question is...China, with FAR more naval vessels and a gigantic standing army. How much did the People's Republic send to Japanj after the Tsumani, my friend?

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
2/3 of the founding fathers were Christian Protestant... let's just start with that

Treaty of Tripoli said:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Personally, I would argue that they were mostly Theists/Deists, which aren't wholly Protestant.

What the USA was founded on was religious principles. That doesn't mean it was "Christian".

Upvote 0

krugerpark

Oct 16, 2012
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
No, you can't make your point by finding someone somewhere who's poorer than the poor I was referring to in the USA. All that is needed in order to rebut your claim that since American is supposedly rich, everyone in it must be rich, too. In fact, as I'm explaining that simple fact, I realise that it's so obvious I shouldn't be bothering to rebut it.

without numbers your claim is meaningless. It doesn't even make sense to ask this in America. First off are we talking welfare poor? or poor that have low paying jobs. My original statement is that America gives out of riches, because the poorest of the poor here is still many times richer than the poor in so many other countries of the world. America is entitlement nation; little of it is even earned anymore.

Have you totally given up on the topic we were discussing? Anyway, the answer to your question is...China, with FAR more naval vessels and a gigantic standing army. How much did the People's Republic send to Japanj after the Tsumani, my friend?

Good point they could have done more. But I'm not sure how much more, given their inexperience in naval affairs, and that the only things they have are shipping vessels. The United States is big brother for a reason, but we are beginning to see it being used as more of an oppressive monetary force than anything else.

It's the military power that differentiates America from these other countries... from whom much is given much is expected, and if America only helps with strings attached (when a country is in such bad shape they have to say yes) what if God dealt with his people like that firsthand? America likes to be top dog, and they enjoy it but its God who decides who the top dog is.

Upvote 0