What are your feelings on American christianty compared to other places?

What are your feelings on American christianty compared to other places?

• America is the BEST. We are perfect!

• America is pretty good, not to many issues.

• America is somewhere in the middle.

• America has gone down hill.

• America is has just become terrible!

• Other..... (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
None are perfect as christians, but in America many have fallen from a good christian path in just how much we accept things and make reasons as to why its ok to participate in things we really shouldn't be. From what we watch, what we do, how we act, where we go...etc.

I am bringing my fiance (well bride in less then 3 months) to America for the first time next year and I am slightly nervous about it because for lack of better terms, I don't want to show her what Christianity is like in America. Every time we talk, we discuss the things we do in our countries (shes in the Philippines). When she talks its awkward sometimes because most of the stuff they do to Focus on God we don't really do.

They don't accept alot of worldly things. They even banned Lady Gaga from singing there. They don't understand why we need media to keep us busy, why we focus on sports, why we seem to focus on pretty much everything but God at times. Of course she isn't saying they are better christians, but they are more laid back and focused all the time. We here are fast paced and would forget our heads if not attached.

I've talked to a few people so far who have spouse from her country (or even other countries) and a good portion of them said their spouse enjoyed America at first but after awhile wanted them to move to the Philippines because they didn't feel the deep spirituality here like they do there. Where as a small percentage found their spouse became like every other american and lost their focus on God.

Grant it America is also a melding pot of people, views and other things so of course its not 100% christian or christian based. Hence why we have so many wordly things around us. But I still feel weird about her coming here. My plan is if she doesn't like I will move to her country instead. And honestly, after Obama won again I don't know if I really want to live here anymore. The future of the country in general concerns me.

I say this all to because many here know I was struggling for years with things as a christian. And now that my life is relatively back in order as a christian I can see how I got sucked into what we do here compared to what we should be doing. America is still the best country obviously because of a few things. I get healthcare and government help. I can be a christian freely. But at what price. And at what price for my fiance and our possible future children.

I don't even know if this topic really had a point. I just needed to talk to people and let out how I am feeling. And yes I realize not all christians/chrsitianty is like this. But when you look at her country, there is a obvious difference. They don't even allow divorce. Just enullments (which is like at 0.4% a year there).

No matter what though I stay strong in God and have faith that no matter what occurs God will guide us together. I will not let fear rule my life because then I am just letting the devil win. I just want to be a good christian husband for her and do what the bible says about making sure as husbands we do not lead our wives astray. And in this country, theres alot that can pull and tug at us to lose track of things.

---EDIT---
I say everything above from a christian perspective. Not a perspective or how America is in terms of freedom and all that. Because obviously theres alot to be thankful for as Americans.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The major distinguishing characteristics about American Christian seem to me to be:

* America seems to have been the source of most denominational fragmentation
* While many European countries were originally Christian, currently the US seems to have the most consciousness of our country as chosen to be a Christian country
* At least compared to other 1st world countries, Christian in the US seems to be the most conservative.

I'm not happy about any of these. (The idea of our country as Christian would be more attractive if it was envisioned as more of a servant role.)

Upvote 0

krugerpark

Oct 16, 2012
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
America is lukewarm and backslidden

many people will argue on denominational differences but those differences don't exist in the bible. American Christians are Christians of convenience and comfort, doctrine and theology, there is little action in it.

the last election is a testimony to how effective Christians are - they are either 1) not around or 2) don't care

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Phew, I'm glad so far the responses aren't disagreeing. ^.^ I never like sounding like I am judging my own country since none are perfect but the deeper I become connected with God, the less I see that around this country.

I watch tv, I play some video games..I do a few things that make me sad because I now see my fiances country and how they act and thats what I thirst for. Its why I try to change here and also get ready to go there. I can focus on God like they do there mind you, but everything seems so much more..... real and passionate there. Even my parents are thinking of moving there just to have that laid back life of loving God and having no distractions.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oddly enough many of our friends after this election are saying they think there will be a civil war again some time soon like there was the past few times since this nation started. Even the news says the country seems very split in half on both ends and there is not really a middle ground anymore.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
* America seems to have been the source of most denominational fragmentation

I'm not sure that's quite true. According to Wikipedia, for example: "The Presbyterian denominations in Scotland today are the Church of Scotland, the Free Church of Scotland, the United Free Church of Scotland, the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing), the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland, the Associated Presbyterian Church, and the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Scotland."

Similarly, there's a lengthy list of English Baptist denominations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seekingsister

Oct 2, 2012
UK
✟15,521.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
America is not a Christian nation. The founding fathers mentioned God, yes, but not Jesus or the Holy Spirit. So If we're going to invite the best of the world to immigrate, that includes people who are not Christians. There are others like your fiancée in Asia or elsewhere who are not Christians but want the same chance to live in America. Also he Philippines has a big problem with sex trafficking and child prostitution, did you know that? Lady Gaga is minor compared to the damage that crime can do.

The great thing about the US is the freedom to live as you wish. Find a community that is strongly Chrisitian or set one up yourself. I grew up near a fundamentalist community where they all lived in a certain area and set up their own school for the children.

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
America is a highly favoured country. I believe God has blessed America vastly.
However as much as America has MANY christians, they are sadly mostly luke-warm. So much of the disasters that have happened could have been averted had the people were ON FIRE for God.

Also America lack great respect for God. Even many Christians take God as their buddy.
the remote countries like africa and other places are more devoted and on fire for God.

If America was on fire for God like most of those remote countries, they would have been untouchable and extremely powerful because I believe God has blessed America

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
american christianity...this is what comes to mind

well, I see a lot of 'christian' books written by americans which are not ...
american christianity..well, it is the country that gave the world mormons, christian scientists, jehovah's witnessess, scientologists (they call themselves a church).. most of the rubbish shown on tv comes from there...including dubious televangelism..
there seem to be black churches and white churches..still lots of segregation..it gave churches 'christian rock' and invented megachurches with pastors who fleece the flock..left behind novels twisting scripture...norman vincent peale and robert schuller...lukewarm christians who live like atheists...billy graham 'crusades'

on the other hand there's the amish, although they are very selective in their reading of scripture, david wilkerson and nicky cruz who minister to lost teens and gang members, some anointed leaders who God used to work great miracles, revivals, solid bible teachers, people who are very loving, open and gracious,

American is a great patchwork!

I suggest find a community that loves God, loves their neighbour, and if you are living a christian life you do not need to bother about the world and it's temptations, because His word is written on your heart, even if you live in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, you will be blameless. I'm sure there are pockets of america that live according to His will. But really, seek God first and ask where he wants to place you and your fiance.

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

NINA84

Nov 11, 2012
✟15,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello every one, first of all I apologize for my english which is so bad as i am French.

I truly believe America is a better place to live in for christians.
Here in France, the place of Christianity is getting smaller and smaller.
France has been a traditionnally catholic country for centuries, but now people are giving up.

More and more mosques are being built every where. Islam is about to become the first religion here.
The government is about to vote for gay marriage (like most countries in Europe).
I have really hard difficulties to make christian friends, most Churches are full of very old French people, Africans, Asians, even Arabs, I even know an Iranian lady who comes to Church every sunday, she converted, and her daughter is called 'Marie'.

But the youngs of french descent are just turning their backs to Jesus, they don't care.
Less and less people are getting married. I personnally have problems with my boyfriend to make him change his mind about marriage, although his from a very catholic and practising family, his mother let down worshiping, she has never talked to his son about Jesus, and of course none of her child is baptised.

I feel like French people are ashamed of who they are, and they are betraying God.
I know that many many crimes has been done in the name of God's here, but this is not a reason to reject every thing that come from Jesus, and accept Islam instead.

I will leave this country.

Be blessed,
Nina

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None are perfect as christians, but in America many have fallen from a good christian path in just how much we accept things and make reasons as to why its ok to participate in things we really shouldn't be. From what we watch, what we do, how we act, where we go...etc.
I accept that that is your opinion. Just because you think something is wrong does not make it wrong for everyone. As the bible says if you think something is a sin then for you it is but it isn't neccesarily wrong. Not saying that to be rude but I find many christians to have hypocritical beliefs especially regarding abortion/incest or fiction like Harry Potter/Chronicles of Narnia. Generally it is the more conservative ones who have these hypocritical beliefs. If you point this out to them they simply dismiss you as not having a clue. Many christians have also been fed a line and just believe it without knowing why they believe what they believe. Finally many christians like to add to the bible. They like to add a line that says we must force our beliefs on others through legislation rather than actually putting in the effort to be a light to the world.

I don't even know if this topic really had a point. I just needed to talk to people and let out how I am feeling. And yes I realize not all christians/chrsitianty is like this. But when you look at her country, there is a obvious difference. They don't even allow divorce. Just enullments (which is like at 0.4% a year there).
I could point to countries with a lower divorce rate than that. Of course many wives in that same country are having the living daylight belted out of them. I could point to a country where there is no homelessness but they will also be alot quicker to kill you in a dispute than in the US. My point being just looking at one detail does not give the whole picture. There are many factors that lead to divorce. So maybe it is a good thing but maybe there is alot of suffering but just no divorce. I can think of two cultural reasons why the rate would be lower than in the US or Oz.

No matter what though I stay strong in God and have faith that no matter what occurs God will guide us together. I will not let fear rule my life because then I am just letting the devil win. I just want to be a good christian husband for her and do what the bible says about making sure as husbands we do not lead our wives astray. And in this country, theres alot that can pull and tug at us to lose track of things.
Well then don't lead her astray. Simple. Other things may lead her astray but that is different.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well, where are denominations in the bible?
denominations are mentioned in the bible. It neither says they are a good thing or a bad thing. People don't tend to realise it despite being in plain sight but there were different groups within Judaism. They essentially were the same as denominations.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
denominations are mentioned in the bible. It neither says they are a good thing or a bad thing. People don't tend to realise it despite being in plain sight but there were different groups within Judaism. They essentially were the same as denominations.

I think it's more accurate to see them as factions within one religion, as opposed to what denominations are. IOW, more like our charismatics and post-millennialists (which can be found in any number of denominations) than Lutherans and Baptists.

Upvote 0

krugerpark

Oct 16, 2012
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
America is not a Christian nation. The founding fathers mentioned God, yes, but not Jesus or the Holy Spirit. So If we're going to invite the best of the world to immigrate, that includes people who are not Christians. There are others like your fiancée in Asia or elsewhere who are not Christians but want the same chance to live in America. Also he Philippines has a big problem with sex trafficking and child prostitution, did you know that? Lady Gaga is minor compared to the damage that crime can do.

The great thing about the US is the freedom to live as you wish. Find a community that is strongly Chrisitian or set one up yourself. I grew up near a fundamentalist community where they all lived in a certain area and set up their own school for the children.

I like this. This is an example of what happens after you've been through the American educational (read: in doctrinal) system.

Upvote 0