What are your beliefs on whether or not it is oktomarry someoneofanother denomination

Caprice

Devoted Husband and Daddy
Aug 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟17,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marximus said:
Could anyone give me their point of view on whether or not it is ok to marry someone thats a Christian, but just from another denomination?:confused: Thanks
Curious, I've never heard anything to suggest that denominations mattered in regards to marriage, considering denominations are a man made construct rather than something instituted by God.

I guess that is more my opinion tho than anything...

Upvote 0

Marximus

Aug 20, 2005
Colorado
✟15,826.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
well, i know, but for example- what if I got married to someone who worships on sunday. what if we had kids? we couldn't tell our kids to go to church on saturday and sunday. it wouldn't be fair. thats what i am asking. what do you think of that? thanks. God bless

Upvote 0

Caprice

Aug 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟17,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alternate Churches??

Or settle on one church or the other and go as a family.

Not sure I'm gonna be much help there, being I'm not a regular churchgoer I don't have a strong opinion on that particular element of your concern. :(

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't think you're going to find anything that states you shouldn't marry someone of another denomination... Just look at it from the perspective of "is it possible to blend the two?" what I mean is... are theological differences going to cause problems? How about doctrine? For example, I could never marry a catholic... not that I believe that they are any less saved than I... except that I disagree strongly with many catholic church doctrines... as I'm sure they would with my church.

Upvote 0

PaleHorse

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟16,859.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Uphill Battle said:
I don't think you're going to find anything that states you shouldn't marry someone of another denomination... Just look at it from the perspective of "is it possible to blend the two?" what I mean is... are theological differences going to cause problems? How about doctrine? For example, I could never marry a catholic... not that I believe that they are any less saved than I... except that I disagree strongly with many catholic church doctrines... as I'm sure they would with my church.
What you say here it true - if theological differences are going to cause problems then the best thing to do is not enter into marriage with them.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

I don't think the above verse is limited to just "unbelievers", I think it has a more reaching implication. To use an obvious example, if you follow the seventh-day Sabbath but your mate does not then that is going to cause problems. For instance, after church on Saturday your spouse feels you should go grocery shopping or mow the lawn - both of which a Sabbatarian knows to be wrong so you don't do either; after time (for I don't think just one instance is going to cause that big of a problem but many will) there could grow some kind of resentment that builds up or you start to compromise your beliefs - something will have to give.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Marximus said:
Could anyone give me their point of view on whether or not it is ok to marry someone thats a Christian, but just from another denomination?:confused: Thanks

The Bible tells us not to be unequally yoked. That is not just talking of the marriage relationship but also business partnerships.

If we want to stay trouble free as much as possible then I suggest we follow the Biblical plan for marriage.

Upvote 0

Caprice

Aug 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟17,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cliff2 said:
The Bible tells us not to be unequally yoked. <snip> If we want to stay trouble free as much as possible then I suggest we follow the Biblical plan for marriage.
So are you trying to indicate that the marriage of a Catholic and a Lutheran (for instance) is unbiblical?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Caprice said:
So are you trying to indicate that the marriage of a Catholic and a Lutheran (for instance) is unbiblical?

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

When the Bible says "not to be unequally yoked"

What do you think it means?

Upvote 0

Caprice

Aug 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟17,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uphill Battle said:
Cliff2 said:
When the Bible says "not to be unequally yoked" What do you think it means?
Christians shouldn't marry non christians. It doesn't say squat about denomination.
Thank you Uphill, thats exactly where I'm going with this.

Denominations are a man-made abomination. Denominations shouldn't even exisit!!!!

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Caprice said:
Thank you Uphill, thats exactly where I'm going with this.

Denominations are a man-made abomination. Denominations shouldn't even exisit!!!!

there's no real harm in the difference between a baptist and a lutheran and a pentacostal as long as the firm belief in Jesus is the doctorine of salvation, the truth, the light.

whether I speak in tounges or not means little to me... it means much to a pentacostal. (my own personal view on speaking in tounges is using ACTUAL languages... IE the gift of tounges is to speak in another language so that other can understand you. That isn't their belief)

but it would be far PREFERABLE to be one unified church... and we will be come glory!

Upvote 0

Caprice

Aug 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟17,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uphill Battle said:
there's no real harm in the difference between a baptist and a lutheran and a pentacostal as long as the firm belief in Jesus is the doctorine of salvation, the truth, the light.
No argument there. I'm just attempting to make the point that I believe the worldly divisions are unneeded.

Uphill Battle said:
whether I speak in tounges or not means little to me... it means much to a pentacostal. (my own personal view on speaking in tounges is using ACTUAL languages... IE the gift of tounges is to speak in another language so that other can understand you. That isn't their belief)
My belief on this subject is only because of my experiences. If you heard in english, as I once did, something that everyone else in the congregation claimed was complete gibberish (including the speaker), I would argue that you translated the gibberish, thus lending some support in my mind to the pentacostle (and perhaps others I guess) concept of speaking in tounges. I also agree tho that this is really not important as all people will be given different gifts of the spirit; I feel that speaking in tounges is not the only one as some church doctrines I've seen suggest.

Uphill Battle said:
but it would be far PREFERABLE to be one unified church... and we will be come glory!
I happen to believe in a unified church, most people are just too busy worrying about our differences to see what unites us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
PaleHorse said:
What you say here it true - if theological differences are going to cause problems then the best thing to do is not enter into marriage with them.

I don't think the above verse is limited to just "unbelievers", I think it has a more reaching implication. To use an obvious example, if you follow the seventh-day Sabbath but your mate does not then that is going to cause problems. For instance, after church on Saturday your spouse feels you should go grocery shopping or mow the lawn - both of which a Sabbatarian knows to be wrong so you don't do either; after time (for I don't think just one instance is going to cause that big of a problem but many will) there could grow some kind of resentment that builds up or you start to compromise your beliefs - something will have to give.

Thank you for quoting 2 Corrinthians, it saved me having to search for it. Why can I remember the verses, but not where they are found in the bible????

Ok, back to the subject at hand....that verse is more important than a lot of people give it credit for. I wish I had read it BEFORE I married the first time. As I was a born and raised baptist, who was silly enough to believe that if I followed my heart and married the man I loved, EVEN THOUGH he was catholic and I didn't believe in their doctrine and way of worshipping anymore than they believed in mine...sort of a "love conquers all" mindset, everything would be alright. Oh, how WRONG I was. It was a spiritual battle almost from the word go.

At first our problems didn't come from between the two of us, but from his mother. She simply drove me crazy to convert. I was young, also, 19 when I married him. Finally, because I wanted to please my mother-in-law, I agreed to "think about it", "look into it", and I even told her, "I have many questions". I remember when she said she would be happy to answer them, and then, could not. Why? Because the questions I asked were scripturally based, and she had no clue. She told me she was not encouraged to have a bible, that the priests told them what it said. Then I tried the local parish and tried to ask questions of the priest there. Oh my, my, my. That didn't go over well at all, so I dropped it. If they couldn't/wouldn't answer my questions, I wasn't going to do something I felt in my heart, was wrong.

My husband hadn't attended mass in about 6 years when I met him. I was married to him for 9 and he still hadn't gone, making it a total of 15. Then I became pregnant, and the man was DEVOTED catholic all in a split second. So I had to start attending masses with him. He wanted the priest to baptize our child upon birth, something I was taught was a "NO-NO". The priest told him that since my husband and I weren't married in the church, we weren't TRULY MARRIED, therefore our child was a "*******", and he wouldn't baptize her. I will never forget that day as long as I live. Did that make me hate catholics? No, but it did strengthen my reserve and belief that it was a doctrine that I wanted no part of.

I'm telling this story, not to enrage anyone who is catholic. I now know, after growing older, and gaining more knowledge that that incident happened because of that particular priest, not because of the entire church's beliefs.

But in the end it caused a divorce and a broken family. God intended us to be "equally yoked" for a good reason, and I just gave you the best one I can think of.

You can see how heated some of the posts can get when people even remotely feel that their church/faith is being questioned or "looked down on", just imagine living with that daily in your home. I know of only one person who was raised in a dual faith home, and where it worked out well. Her mother was catholic and her father was, believe it or not, jewish. It took MONUMENTAL work on both of her parents parts for this to work. The children she told me, attended both the catholic church and the jewish synagogue...and when they became old enough, were allowed to choose between the two. I tell you this, in all fairness, to show that it CAN BE DONE. But the odds are that it will tear the family apart, not bind it together.

My 16 year old son is being taught to look for an Adventist mate, if at all possible. If he comes home and tells me he's fallen in love with a baptist girl, or what have you, I will accept that, and make her feel a part of the family. I will not do what my ex mother-in-law did to me. I WILL gently nudge however. :angel: My son's happiness is the most important thing in the world to me, I will love whomever he does.

It doesn't hurt however, to teach about being "equally yoked".

Upvote 0

Marximus

Aug 20, 2005
Colorado
✟15,826.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you everyone for your responses, but what would happen if say an SDA got married to someone who believes almost exactly the same, except for they go to church on Sunday- if they had kids, it wouldn't be fair to make the kids go to church on Sabbath and Sunday, any thoughts?

Upvote 0

andiesmama

Senior Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Florida
✟18,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marximus said:
Thank you everyone for your responses, but what would happen if say an SDA got married to someone who believes almost exactly the same, except for they go to church on Sunday- if they had kids, it wouldn't be fair to make the kids go to church on Sabbath and Sunday, any thoughts?

This is my situation to a "T"! I married a wonderful guy who came from a long line of SDA (both his parents & their families)...most of the SDA beliefs and mine from growing up in a Methodist home are the same. Because I believe in the husband being the head of the household and it is one of my wifely duties to submit to him, we will be raising Andie (our daughter) in the SDA religion. And to be honest, I don't have a problem with the sabbath worship....somehow it feels more "natural" to me, anyways! ;)

Upvote 0

Marximus

Aug 20, 2005
Colorado
✟15,826.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
andiesmama said:
This is my situation to a "T"! I married a wonderful guy who came from a long line of SDA (both his parents & their families)...most of the SDA beliefs and mine from growing up in a Methodist home are the same. Because I believe in the husband being the head of the household and it is one of my wifely duties to submit to him, we will be raising Andie (our daughter) in the SDA religion. And to be honest, I don't have a problem with the sabbath worship....somehow it feels more "natural" to me, anyways! ;)
Wow, that was a blessing to get you to reply (exactly what i needed to know), but -im not saying that this is the case with your family- what if the children get confused?

i.e. they might think : "Why am I doing only what my dad is doing, while my mom goes to church on a different day?"

they might feel like they are betraying either the mom or dad:confused:

Upvote 0

andiesmama

Senior Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Florida
✟18,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marximus said:
Wow, that was a blessing to get you to reply (exactly what i needed to know), but -im not saying that this is the case with your family- what if the children get confused?

i.e. they might think : "Why am I doing only what my dad is doing, while my mom goes to church on a different day?"

they might feel like they are betraying either the mom or dad:confused:

I attend the SDA church with my hubby....that's how we chose to solve the "problem" (for lack of a better word)...husband is head of household, therefore his religion is the one that we'll practice.

I'm not saying this would work for everyone, it's an individual decision. But that's what's working for us!! :thumbsup:

Edit to say: but when Andie gets older, she'll be able to make her own decisions as to what religion to practice. Of course, hopefully she'll decide to follow in the SDA religion, but we're not going to deter her from looking at others if she feels led to do so.

Upvote 0