• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What are your Allergies?

jelly_bean

Jelly Inc.; we put the K in Kwality!
Oct 26, 2004
Flutopia
✟51,043.00
Faith
Christian
Dairy, Byootaful?? :eek: Whoa, that one is tough.... and you're allergic to dog and cat saliva??? That is so weird! :D

I'm allergic to tons of creams, soaps, and perfumes... I don't even know exactly what, but often when I put one of those three on my arms or face, my skin will start burning. When exposed to baking soda for too long, I start to itch like crazy all over and when it's on me it eats away my skin really fast.

Those are my worst allergies -_-" I have the normal ones too, it's bad.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Anyone else have to live with an anaphylactic?

My husband has a life threatening allergy (anaphylactic response) to
Eggs
PEANUTS *argghh they use it in almost every manufacturing process known to man!*
Fish ESPECIALLY Shellfish.

And a certain drug that if he ever has again WILL kill him as it landed him two weeks in ITU on a ventilator as his whole body went into anaphylactic shock and was shutting down.:sigh:

It is pretty impressive watching him break out with hives a brilliant red rash and go a funny shade of blue.:eek:
Thank God for epipens, steroids, anti-histimines and inhalers!

I used to like cooking once upon a time...now I have no choice.^_^

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am allergic to dove products using them will break my skin out(this is a new one like a month up to three months new) before than I never had a problem now I can't use any of it.

I am allergic to dust,pollen, and like when people cut grass I can be around grass but when people cut it and I smell it or it touches me it gives me problems part of seasonal allergies.

Certain purfumes,lotions,body wash I can't use

Upvote 0

desert_island_1

Be Transformed - Romans 12:2
Mar 4, 2004
Alberta
✟20,541.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Okay, this may take a minute becuase it seems my list goes on and on (or to me it does) (I will put the allergy in bold and the reaction in brackets)

1. Sunscreen (Burning red rash that spreads unless sprayed with hand sanitizer)
2. Sulpha Medications (basically artificial pennicillan) (hives all over body - possibly fatal)
3. Pennicillan (hives all over body - possibly fatal)
4. Grass (red bunpls all over part of body that touched grass for longer than about 15 seconds, worse on legs than rest of body, not on feet or hands at all)
5. Lotions (I have found maybe 2 brands I can use) (Burning Sensation, skin turns red)
6. Pollen (Asthma attack)
7. Dust Mites (Asthma Attack)
8. Smoke (cigarettes and fire) (Really bad asthma attack)
9. Band -aids (not the latex, the glue they use to make them stick) (Red and Itchy skin)
10. Perfume (Asthma Attack, sometimes a rash)

I also have asthma (As noted above with some of my allergies which also happen to be triggers) I get asthma attacks when I excercise (running esp. which sucks becuase I am an athlete) and being sick.
Hopefully I will be able to get allergie tests in the next few months so I can find out what exactly in sunscreen I am allergic to (I found one that I wasn't allergic to) and creams aswell!

Kristy

Upvote 0

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Dairy, Byootaful?? :eek: Whoa, that one is tough.... and you're allergic to dog and cat saliva??? That is so weird! :D.

lol yes the dairy one is tough. My favourite food is ice-cream. I still eat it... My throat closes up and my nose goes all stuffy and I find it hard to breathe. I often feel nauseas. But it's worth it! My doctor keeps telling me to stop eating dairy because he said if I keep going, I could make the reactions get worse over time. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

desert_island_1

Mar 4, 2004
Alberta
✟20,541.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
lol yes the dairy one is tough. My favourite food is ice-cream. I still eat it... My throat closes up and my nose goes all stuffy and I find it hard to breathe. I often feel nauseas. But it's worth it! My doctor keeps telling me to stop eating dairy because he said if I keep going, I could make the reactions get worse over time. :doh:
Not necessairly. I used ot be allergic to dairy but my mum gave me 1 dairy product a day for 2 years and I built up a resistance to it! Now I can have it as much as I want!

Kristy

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Byootiful

Try using one of the many vegan dairy ice cream substitutes.
In the UK Swedish Glace is the best available. Its smooth NOT gritty.

Any glacteasemia support groups in your country should be able to tell you which manufactured 'ice' and similar products are 100% dairy free.
Your doctor is right you easily could make this reaction far worse and end up having to carry epipens everywhere!

Kirsty

That advice does not apply to any who have had even one anaphylactic allergic type response.
It is dangerous.
If my husband needs to test a new food he has to do so in hospital under a medically supervised food challenge with the crash team on standby.

That is how my husband used to be with eggs until he had this mad idea of trying a bit each day......all he managed to do was prove he had an anaphylactic allergy to eggs as well as Peanuts and ended up in A&E (again) . *The idiot*

Upvote 0

doglover

Serving my Prince
Dec 8, 2004
✟20,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I do that with dairy all the time. Stupid, I know, but it's really hard. Also when you go out to eat, or go to someone else's house, how do you politely avoid it? If you say, "I'm allergic" usually they feel really bad, but since my allergies aren't real bad, I feel bad not eating the food they serve me. Also because sometimes I blow it with the milk products myself, so how can I not eat it when they give it to me, and then go home and eat it?! It's so hard. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Dog and Cat Saliva
And yet you have a cat? Gee Kate! *shakes head*
Anyone else have to live with an anaphylactic?
Hehe - yup. Penicillin. I got my tonsils taken out when I was 8 and my doctor thought it would be wise to make me take penicillin twice a day for the 6 months leading up to the operation. It was prescribed to me again about a year later and I reacted rather badly :(. But I won't be so lucky if it happens again.

Other than that, dustmites and dairy. ^_^

Upvote 0

Everglaze

Atheist Council Representative
Aug 30, 2004
✟16,632.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm allergic to dust and I hate it. It's nothing too serious. I don't get an allergic reaction just by being exposed to dust, but only excessive dust that piles up in something like a barn or the attic. It used to be worse when I was a kid and had asthma. My face would also get red spots.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

Paris9226

I had always known that I had really bad seasonal allergies, and that I was allergic to dogs and cats. But a few months ago I went to the allergist and found out I am allergic to everything. I am allergic to all trees, grases, weeds. Then I found out I am allergic to corn, soy, peanuts and shrimp. Now I am supposed to carry a epipen. It was crazy finding out about the food allergies for me because I never had any clue I was allergic to these foods. From my skin tests I had a huge reaction to these foods. Now it's kind of a pain to have to really watch what I eat because most foods contain corn or soy oil. I am supposed to do allergy shots, but it's 2 shots starting off at twice a week for a few months then it goes down to once a week and lasts for a couple years. I figure I would just deal with it.

Upvote 0

desert_island_1

Mar 4, 2004
Alberta
✟20,541.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Kirsty

That advice does not apply to any who have had even one anaphylactic allergic type response.
It is dangerous.
If my husband needs to test a new food he has to do so in hospital under a medically supervised food challenge with the crash team on standby.

That is how my husband used to be with eggs until he had this mad idea of trying a bit each day......all he managed to do was prove he had an anaphylactic allergy to eggs as well as Peanuts and ended up in A&E (again) . *The idiot*
[/QUOTE]
I was alot younger when my mum did this and I was not anaphalaytic. I had no say in it and I don't even remember being allergic. I also was not allgeric to the dairy persay. I was allergic to a protein that was in cow's milk that is absent in all other milks.

Kristy

Upvote 0

rainbowpromise

Senior Contributor
May 10, 2006
British Columbia
✟26,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Me
  1. I am allergic to all tree nuts to the extent that I carry an epi-pen. The pollen of these trees and the particles in the air during harvest.
  2. I also break out in hives if I eat banana.
  3. I get a horrible rash from an ingredient in baby oil.
  4. Most hair removal products have either baby oil or nut oil.
My youngest daughter is sensitive to these
  1. eggs
  2. dairy
  3. gluten
My husband is sensitive to these
  1. Perfume
  2. garlic
My second daughter is allergic to
  1. most shampoos, cleansers, soaps
  2. all metals (including gold)
My oldest son is showing signs of being allergic to
  1. some tree nuts
My granddaughter is allergic to
  1. Soy
  2. Strawberries
  3. Mangoes
  4. Kiwis
  5. Bananas
  6. Tomatoes
  7. Dairy (including goat)
  8. Egg
  9. Gluten
  10. Buckwheat
  11. Birch
  12. Alder
She may have some
  1. Rice
  2. Beef
  3. Citrus fruits
She has not retried
  1. Sunflower
  2. peanuts
  3. tree nuts (won't because of my allergies)
  4. Oats
  5. Sesame
Our dog has a seasonal allergy. Late summer.
Our cat is allergic to the flea treatments.

Upvote 0

rainbowpromise

Senior Contributor
May 10, 2006
British Columbia
✟26,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Not necessairly. I used ot be allergic to dairy but my mum gave me 1 dairy product a day for 2 years and I built up a resistance to it! Now I can have it as much as I want!

Kristy
My daughter knows a woman with dairy allergies. Her husband figured he could cure it that way. Over a couple of years she kept getting sicker and sicker. She was at the doctor for all kinds of things over and over. When she finally figured out what he was doing, she got better.

My granddaughter showed signs of a dairy allergy at birth, but since she also showed signs of allergy to soy and rice, we stuck with the lesser symptoms. Big mistake! She got used to the dairy, but we didn't relaize what it was doing to her inside. It was causing other problems that we did not realize were linked to allergy. In grade 1 she missed about half her school days. After keeping her dairy free (among many other foods) last year in grade 4 she missed 1 day of school.

My mom showed an allergy to oatmeal as a child. Her parents made her eat some every day. It went away for many years, but now it is back worse and with more allergies to go with it.

Sorry I am up on a soapboax, but food allergies have really altered my family. Epi-pens, Benedryl and other antihistamines.

Believe it or not my granddaughter is allergic to the children's antihistamines as well. Poor kid had to learn how to swallow pills by grade 2.

Upvote 0