For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Maybe we can keep this going, like the "What's on your mind" thread in the Singles area.

What are you working on, how is it going, what are your thoughts, etc.

I'm working on what will technically be my second novel... although I unpublished my first novel and I'm reworking that story into this one.

Also, my process involves writing out the story as a screenplay, and THEN converting it into a novel. It's too much for me to figure out what happens and how to describe it at the same time. I need two different passes.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I mostly journal my feelings...for God's and my eyes only. I am a terrible writer and I cannot write to save my life despite all the extensive reading and education I've done/received.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟146,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Great thread idea!

I'm not writing anything at the moment. I have a fanfiction series in progress but unfortunately, due to a lack of inspiration, I haven't written an episode in several months. I hope I can get the inspiration I need soon so I can continue!

Also, my process involves writing out the story as a screenplay, and THEN converting it into a novel. It's too much for me to figure out what happens and how to describe it at the same time. I need two different passes.
That actually sounds like a good idea. I often have trouble figuring out how to describe what happens too!

Reactions: Strider1002
Upvote 0

Strider1002

May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

wiseracoon

Aug 25, 2021
Upper Midwest
✟9,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I overthink the writing (or plotting) process. All I really need to do is figure out what can and should happen next, and how to make it interesting.
The process of plotting accomplishes two things, laying out the events of the plot in order and setting the pace.

Upvote 0

ElCamino

Dec 27, 2021
Culiacan
✟49,889.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Excellent. I'm also curious if anyone on here gets paid to write.

I've made some money as a freelance writer and translator; but for this project I'm not getting paid. I do hope to make money eventually with the website though.

Once I get enough traffic I'll use ads and affiliate offers to monetize it. It's a lot of work that God willing will pay off sooner rather than later. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strider1002

May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Made it to 90 pages. If this script were meant to remain a script, it would be considered feature-length now. But since it's going to become a novel, who knows how long it will end up.
When I wrote the original story, which also started as a script, I just wrote a random mystery until I reached 80 pages or so, then I wrapped it up. At that time, I had been hoping to sell it as a spec script. But novels are so much better :cool:

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At an impasse at the moment. I cranked out several thousand words of a work of fiction, only to realize the situation was completely implausible for the culture and era. I'm afraid that novel is at a dead end. Have outlined myself out of this situation before, but this seems unworkable. I need to work on my blog, but have come up with a reason not to write every topic that came to mind.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟409,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I write messages for the people at the soup kitchen every week. I’ve been doing it 17 years. Quality has always gotten better. As you know the Bible is a wealth of inspiration for evangelistic content. I get paid in self satisfaction and food. As I’m getting older I’m slowing down a bit. I am still able to write, and I give all the credit to the HS, but don’t know when to stop. I give my CC’s to the Lord also,lol, ha!

Sometimes I think a younger man could do better with the youth of this time. But the gospel doesn’t change and is relevant for every generation. Everybody needs to hear it. So much so that now I can relate more to the resistant ones in writing. In patience I can relate and not get mad if someone disagrees. I learned the cold ones God knows what to do with. Jesus Loves You!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟409,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All I've been doing lately is tweaking existing manuscripts. The one solid idea I had for a short story refused to gel properly. I'm wondering if I can write anymore.
Did you pray first and get in the spirit? Sometimes I do my best thinking while praying. Remove all obstacles, get close to God. It would definitely influence what you write. The HS is our helper. I don’t know if He would help on secular stuff but prayer can change your vibe, and help to get creative. You need the right vehicle- something where you can think out of the box.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you pray first and get in the spirit? Sometimes I do my best thinking while praying. Remove all obstacles, get close to God. It would definitely influence what you write. The HS is our helper. I don’t know if He would help on secular stuff but prayer can change your vibe, and help to get creative. You need the right vehicle- something where you can think out of the box.
I'm not good enough a writer to do Christian writing. The problem is in presenting the gospel without it becoming "message fiction." Message fiction tends to use straw man arguments and cardboard characters regardless of what that message may be, religious or secular. That's because the message, in the case of Christian writing, the gospel, is the main point the writer is trying to convey to their audience. A skilled writer can incorporate the message into fiction without the straw man arguments and cardboard characters, and convey the idea with a compelling story.

I'm not that good a writer. I've written exactly one Christian story (verses stories where characters were Christian). But it had a quasi-fantasy background, which would have set Christian publication's teeth on edge, and the Christian aspect set secular publications' teeth on edge (known through a personal rejection notice). The only way I could pull that one off was to have a conflicted main character who's personal resolution of his internal conflict also conveyed an aspect of the gospel, and that story came from a clear idea from beginning to end.

Everything else I've done could be classified as secular. Some have Christian overtones; some don't. Lately the words have stopped. Maybe due to self-censorship; maybe due to just being tired of what increasingly looks to be futile effort. Not everyone who picks up a golf club will play as well as Tiger Woods; not everyone who writes a sentence will write as well as C.S. Lewis or Stephen King.

Years ago, I had hoped to be able to earn a little bit writing when I retired. But as retirement looms with no real progress, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Not even as a mid-lister.

Maybe I just don't see the point in it anymore. It all seems like nothing more than wasted effort.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟409,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you seen Amir Tsarfati‘s work? He makes a spy thriller using prophecy and actual events,romance. He is an Israeli and has access and imagination. It’s really hard to be published everything has to be awesome. You could be making a legacy, but published ? How few make that goal? Take the pressure off and write for enjoyment again.

Prayer would help you get in the mood. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your path straight.’
Its fun that way. The creator? That used his finger to make the worlds.

Upvote 0