What are you reading/studying in your quiet times?

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,257.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Anyone like to share what you read in your quiet times?

Over the last few years the Lord has led me to study different books of the Bible. Currently it is Deuteronomy. I'm using the NIV Study Bible and look up the cross references from the notes below the scriptural text. Some days I only do a verse from Deuteronomy because the cross referencing leads to other verses, which lead to others and so on. I find it fascinating but only do it three or four times a week as it can be time consuming. The other days (except Sundays) I read a Psalm or a short part of the NT. Before I was retired I used to use Bible Notes and read whatever text they referred to there (if I remember rightly, but I'm getting forgetful in my old age :scratch:) as I had less time.

If anyone else would like to share please do, but only if you want to. :)

Last edited:

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
going through "Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a Kempis again, it's been a while and I'm seeing things I missed the first couple of times I read it. :)
tulc(is always surprised what a difference a couple of years makes in the things he notices in books he likes) :oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone like to share what you read in you quiet times?

Over the last few years the Lord has led me to study different books of the Bible. Currently it is Deuteronomy. I'm using the NIV Study Bible and look up the cross references from the notes below the scriptural text. Some days I only do a verse from Deuteronomy because the cross referencing leads to other verses, which lead to others and so on. I find it fascinating but only do it three or four times a week as it can be time consuming. The other days (except Sundays) I read a Psalm or a short part of the NT. Before I was retired I used to use Bible Notes and read whatever text they referred to there (if I remember rightly, but I'm getting forgetful in my old age :scratch:) as I had less time.

If anyone else would like to share please do, but only if you want to. :)
I have been following current events by reading websites and streaming news channels. I read from a Gospel sometimes. In times past I read a NT book in a day as I am retired. Joined a Biblical archaeology group online. When I lived in the DC area I went to libraries and studied Biblical archaeology before I had Internet service.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,257.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
going through "Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a Kempis again, it's been a while and I'm seeing things I missed the first couple of times I read it. :)
tulc(is always surprised what a difference a couple of years makes in the things he notices in books he likes) :oldthumbsup:
Yes, I've read books and noticed different things later. :)

I have been following current events by reading websites and streaming news channels. I read from a Gospel sometimes. In times past I read a NT book in a day as I am retired. Joined a Biblical archaeology group online. When I lived in the DC area I went to libraries and studied Biblical archaeology before I had Internet service.
I've found that reading a book in one go helps get a perspective of the whole thing. I've only done it with the letters though. :)

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I've read books and noticed different things later. :)

I've found that reading a book in one go helps get a perspective of the whole thing. I've only done it with the letters though. :)
The Gospel of Mark is 16 chapters. I looked at maps of Roman era Israel to try to learn Jesus’ itinerary. That helped me organize my thoughts. I read histories including Josephus’, “The Wars of the Jews.” He was a first century Jewish historian. I also liked, Eusebius, “Ecclesiastical History,” c. 325 AD. It is a history of the church before Constantine legalized Christianity.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,257.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
The Gospel of Mark is 16 chapters. I looked at maps of Roman era Israel to try to learn Jesus’ itinerary. That helped me organize my thoughts. I read histories including Josephus’, “The Wars of the Jews.” He was a first century Jewish historian. I also liked, Eusebius, “Ecclesiastical History,” c. 325 AD. It is a history of the church before Constantine legalized Christianity.
Yes, Mark is a good idea for a gospel. Any of the others require more attention than I'm capable of in my old age for one sitting! I've looked at Jesus' itinerary a bit, and found that it's helped get a better perspective of his ministry. The histories sound interesting dqhall. :)

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, Mark is a good idea for a gospel. Any of the others require more attention than I'm capable of in my old age for one sitting! I've looked at Jesus' itinerary a bit, and found that it's helped get a better perspective of his ministry. The histories sound interesting dqhall. :)
I was distracted by coronavirus and stock market worries. Matthew 5 - Matthew 7, “Sermon on the Mount,” was a good passage in these times of trouble.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I read a variety of stuff beyond my daily devotional. I find near death experiences (the study of it) very interesting. Also enjoy reading some of Patterson's books, and Clancy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am studying the book of Daniel using The New Inductive Study Series by Kay Arthur.

The blue books are really good. More in depth than the Precept Upon Precept series due to daily homework. I know someone who went through the bible with them and came to faith. Enjoy your study! :)

~bella

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apart from my Bible, I am reading "Old paths" by JC Ryle.

He is my favourite Christian writer.

I really appreciate his books, he was born in 1816 but his books could have been written yesterday.
He is very clear and easy to understand, always going back to trusting God alone and going back to the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've begun writing out the New Testament by hand. Bought some narrow ruled filler paper and some dripless ink pens and started with the gospel of John. I've since finished I & II Peter and Paul's letter to the Colossians. Currently starting on chapter 5 of Romans.

It's been very interesting the difference between writing out Scripture and simply reading it. It gives you a, more intimate? understanding of the text - I've been seeing stuff in the word I never did in reading it. It makes you slow down, not slow motion, but slow as in... savoring the text. Hard to describe, but I plan on writing out as much as I can.

Upvote 0