• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

what are you feeling right now? (24)

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Whenever I just believe that God is perfect love, and that it's not just a nice way to call Him, only then can I be at rest, and I can love my neighbor through His love.

Yes brother that is like that for me as well. His love lifts, directs, purifies, strengthens and motivates us - i call that having life in God's own - or meet the elect of our hearts. Those purposed by God from before the Creation of this world that they would do such good works. In reality God's light shapes our spirit. And we know that perfect love is hard to measure up to, so we don't even try, but serve our Lord in humble spirit, just like Jesus once did.

The other times when we look away from God's perfect love we fall back into our fallen state, where confusion rules because of the bombardment of lies that are fired our way. This world is really good at drawing us away from Christ, but reality is when we know Christ we feel lost and alone and do anything to be back in His loving truth again.

Like you say all we can do is run away from our fallen reality (back) into His glorious reality.

Righteous Love
Righteous love lays down own life
for those fallen so low and sore.
Ignoring painful deep down low
true love gathers the broken
for never may the wicked win!
Love leaves death behind
loving true all the back up
till loving true is Safely Home.

Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The other times when we look away from God's perfect love we fall back into our fallen state

Yes, that's the struggle. At least in my experience and understanding. When He is not love, He becomes an angry judge, He seems like He's turned his back on me, and I try to somehow "make up for it" by myself, in order to be accepted, as if I did something to be accepted in the first place, and I know that it's not enough. I can't do it. I don't have enough love, or any kind of holiness in me, by myself. So I take the leap of faith and go to Christ who welcomes the prodigal son/daughter and the lost sheep in gracious love. It's the only peace I know.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that's the struggle. At least in my experience and understanding. When He is not love, He becomes an angry judge, He seems like He's turned his back on me, and I try to somehow "make up for it" by myself, in order to be accepted, as if I did something to be accepted in the first place, and I know that it's not enough. I can't do it. I don't have enough love, or any kind of holiness in me, by myself. So I take the leap of faith and go to Christ who welcomes the prodigal son/daughter and the lost sheep in gracious love. It's the only peace I know.

The only good part of falling is that Jesus gets us back up again and each time we have an opportunity to shed some of our old skin and acquire the New.

What that concerns we believers are blessed beyond comprehension while Jesus gathers us into His barnyard even our weakest selves does not stop us from being saved. That is why i love Jesus so much, He truly saved us from our sins.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That is why i love Jesus so much, He truly saved us from our sins.

You truly do. You do love Him. It shows. You're not afraid of Him, you're not running from Him. And the love you have in Christ, you pass forward to others. It's been important for me, as well as many others here. Wherever I see God working like that, there's immediate comfort, assurance and encouragement. Even the smallest, feeblest efforts of compassion and love, no matter who is showing them, is invaluable and it always shines God's graceful light to people.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm really upset. I am so sick of the sound of slamming doors--whether from my dad or the people in my dorm.

Today, I tried napping because I'm getting ill again and the entire four hours, the girl next door kept going in and out of her room every two-three minutes and slamming her door. This has been happening the entire year, and nothing I say/do is getting them to stop. I'm just gonna live in the library and not at all return.

And of course, they likely heard me complain to my parents about it on the phone, so things are just going to get worse.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm really upset. I am so sick of the sound of slamming doors--whether from my dad or the people in my dorm.

Today, I tried napping because I'm getting ill again and the entire four hours, the girl next door kept going in and out of her room every two-three minutes and slamming her door. This has been happening the entire year, and nothing I say/do is getting them to stop. I'm just gonna live in the library and not at all return.

And of course, they likely heard me complain to my parents about it on the phone, so things are just going to get worse.

Oh how annoying slamming doors can be, especially when we try to do our homework or worse go to sleep. When i was drafted military service, i faced the same problem as you plus all the horrible things others might do to you if you weren't on guard.

i learned to turn the music up. i had my own music so i put it on next to my ear and learned to ignore the constant slamming of doors and swearing and talking and laughing. As a matter of fact only when it became quiet did i wake up to make sure i wouldn't get blown out of bed by the fire hose or a bucket of freezing cold water, or worse.

Try music, your favourite in particular, and see if you can learn to ignore annoying noises.

A hard one.

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh how annoying slamming doors can be, especially when we try to do our homework or worse go to sleep. When i was drafted military service, i faced the same problem as you plus all the horrible things others might do to you if you weren't on guard.

i learned to turn the music up. i had my own music so i put it on next to my ear and learned to ignore the constant slamming of doors and swearing and talking and laughing. As a matter of fact only when it became quiet did i wake up to make sure i wouldn't get blown out of bed by the fire hose or a bucket of freezing cold water, or worse.

Try music, your favourite in particular, and see if you can learn to ignore annoying noises.

A hard one.

Yeah. They waited until I got home and worsened it. They just stopped after an RA came to do bathroom checks (it's 2 am). I'm gonna speak with my RA tomorrow.

Ugh, that's awful. People are awful. You'd think in the military, there'd be some maturity.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ugh, that's awful. People are awful. You'd think in the military, there'd be some maturity.

Because we were drafted compulsory people had to be there, and to make the time fun a lot of drugs and alcohol was consumed and then they would figure out tricks or sick jokes to put others through.

i know of one person who lay drunk sleeping in his bed and about 6 totally drunk people peed all over him. The poor guy didn't even wake up. i got a bucket of ice cold water over me once but made sure that all three of them were soaked with freezing water as well. It almost let to a fight i was so angry with them. Because i got them back and wasn't scared of them they left me alone after that.

Military service was mainly a horrible experience i learned to kill and drink and not trust others. It took me years before i learned to sleep unworried about attacks while i was sleeping.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Feel positive this morning. i had no nausea and i feel okay. Yvonne is home today but we don't know what we shall do. The nice weather has turned to cold, wet and windy, very unusual for the time of year. We lost a lot of fruit from our fruit trees because of the high gusty winds. If the weather clears then we might go for a hike in the estuary. Might listen to sermon first.

Hoping all are well.:wave:

Upvote 0

Press On

Giving up what I am to become what I will be.
May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because we were drafted compulsory people had to be there, and to make the time fun a lot of drugs and alcohol was consumed and then they would figure out tricks or sick jokes to put others through.

i know of one person who lay drunk sleeping in his bed and about 6 totally drunk people peed all over him. The poor guy didn't even wake up. i got a bucket of ice cold water over me once but made sure that all three of them were soaked with freezing water as well. It almost let to a fight i was so angry with them. Because i got them back and wasn't scared of them they left me alone after that.

Military service was mainly a horrible experience i learned to kill and drink and not trust others. It took me years before i learned to sleep unworried about attacks while i was sleeping.

Peace.
I told this story before, but I voluntarily joined the Coast Guard in 1970. I wanted to stay out of Viet Nam (my brother in law was killed there) and as I was an idealistic young man I liked the idea of the Coast Guard teaching you how to save lives, not take them. I wanted to be a helicopter mechanic.

Gerry, you put up with a whole lot. With us it was just a few loud mouth drunks and bullying before lights out.

The funniest thing was a guy named Gish who fell asleep early in his bunk. (One should NEVER do that if you didn’t want to be pranked).

He was snoring with his left arm stretched out, palm up. Somebody squirted a bunch of shaving cream into his open palm, then tickled his forehead, so he would reach up to his face and slap shaving cream all over it. We amused ourselves pretty well. We were waiting for our next orders and were given menial jobs during the day to occupy us but had our evenings and weekends free. I was so glad to get out of there and move on.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Press On

May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Going in for a prostate biopsy tomorrow afternoon 3:00 central time.

I would covet your prayers as there seem to be some problems & there may be cancer.

I am no stranger to these cancer scares but it can be a bit nerve wracking until the results are finally in. I should know something within 10 days.

Meanwhile, I feel good and and plan on continuing with my gym workouts, drumming, cycling and community service work. I would be less than honest to say I am not a bit concerned, though.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Going in for a prostate biopsy tomorrow afternoon 3:00 central time.

I would covet your prayers as there seem to be some problems & there may be cancer.

I am no stranger to these cancer scares but it can be a bit nerve wracking until the results are finally in. I should know something within 10 days.

Meanwhile, I feel good and and plan on continuing with my gym workouts, drumming, cycling and community service work. I would be less than honest to say I am not a bit concerned, though.
Thank you.

I hope things turn out clear for you! That's a scary thing to go in for.

The nice thing is that we're at a place in medicine where cancer, for the most part, can typically be helped if caught early enough.

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Feeling insecure with my ability to distinguish between active and passive voice. Like, I know I'm a good writer, I know what I'm doing. But in a school setting? I don't know. My classmates get different answers, and I feel so stupid if the professor agrees with them.

I should just switch to history or creative writing as my other major instead of doing Journalism. At least there, I won't feel as insecure if I share a world, a story. But even creative writing professors seem to hate fantasy, sci-fi, etc. They all think those are worthless genres. But then, what's left?

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I told this story before, but I voluntarily joined the Coast Guard in 1970. I wanted to stay out of Viet Nam (my brother in law was killed there) and as I was an idealistic young man I liked the idea of the Coast Guard teaching you how to save lives, not take them. I wanted to be a helicopter mechanic.

Gerry, you put up with a whole lot. With us it was just a few loud mouth drunks and bullying before lights out.

The funniest thing was a guy named Gish who fell asleep early in his bunk. (One should NEVER do that if you didn’t want to be pranked).

He was snoring with his left arm stretched out, palm up. Somebody squirted a bunch of shaving cream into his open palm, then tickled his forehead, so he would reach up to his face and slap shaving cream all over it. We amused ourselves pretty well. We were waiting for our next orders and were given menial jobs during the day to occupy us but had our evenings and weekends free. I was so glad to get out of there and move on.

i served for 14 months in the air force as anti aircraft personnel. If i say i hated it i would be lying but it was a hard time and i learned few good things. The training was the hardest when it came to pranks, i was attacked twice.

However i'm 6 foot 2 and 4 foot across the shoulders. i worked on the land since i was 13 years old and was well developed muscle wise and had an enormous temper when young.

Like with that bucket of water they woke me up with, i took all three of them on. They didn't dare to stop me and backed off respectfully after i wet them. i know that i would have easily won a fight with them. They were city boys and drunk, and i was fuming and very sober, they would have had no chance, and they knew that because they backed off and left me alone after that.

Boy you guys were sure merciful using shaving cream on Gish, we would have used black shoe polish. (lol) Just on good size dot on the forehead and the sleeping person will do the rest. Shoe polish in contact with skin begins to itch a little and people smear themselves black by the time they wake up in the morning. Then try and get it of your face and hands before morning call comes!

i left for Australia 2 months after i finished my military service stint.

i hope your biopsy will not be too uncomfortable and painful. Praying you may be calm and relax for that will sure help.

Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Boy you guys were sure merciful using shaving cream on Gish, we would have used black shoe polish. (lol)

Sorry guys, had to laugh out loud.

When I did my service here, I'm glad I had the top bunk. The lazy pranksters usually took on those who had the bottom beds. The old "shaving cream" trick was used a couple of times on a few guys, I'm glad they didn't go for shoe polish! Some of them tried to make sleeping guys wet themselves by placing their hands in a bucket of warm water, or by pouring water from one glass to another, again and again near a sleeping man's ear. I'm not sure if it worked, but at least they tried! We've had peace time for so long now that the pranks are quite mild and harmless, most likely a far cry from what it was before and what you guys had, but it's like the ghost of those times still lingers a bit.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Press On

May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope things turn out clear for you! That's a scary thing to go in for.

The nice thing is that we're at a place in medicine where cancer, for the most part, can typically be helped if caught early enough.
So true. Thanks for your kind comments!

Upvote 0

Press On

May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i served for 14 months in the air force as anti aircraft personnel. If i say i hated it i would be lying but it was a hard time and i learned few good things. The training was the hardest when it came to pranks, i was attacked twice.

However i'm 6 foot 2 and 4 foot across the shoulders. i worked on the land since i was 13 years old and was well developed muscle wise and had an enormous temper when young.

Like with that bucket of water they woke me up with, i took all three of them on. They didn't dare to stop me and backed off respectfully after i wet them. i know that i would have easily won a fight with them. They were city boys and drunk, and i was fuming and very sober, they would have had no chance, and they knew that because they backed off and left me alone after that.

Boy you guys were sure merciful using shaving cream on Gish, we would have used black shoe polish. (lol) Just on good size dot on the forehead and the sleeping person will do the rest. Shoe polish in contact with skin begins to itch a little and people smear themselves black by the time they wake up in the morning. Then try and get it of your face and hands before morning call comes!

i left for Australia 2 months after i finished my military service stint.

i hope your biopsy will not be too uncomfortable and painful. Praying you may be calm and relax for that will sure help.

Blessings
Yeah, you had your size going for you. Good on you!

Minimum weight to join the CG was 125 lbs. Before my physical with the civilian doctor (a preliminary before actually joining) in Eugene, Oregon, I went to a BBQ place and ate like a pig so I could pass the weight requirement. I was a skinny little kid.

Didn’t fill out till my 20s. Even now, at 66, I weigh about 150, same as when I was 25. But now it’s a healthy weight, with muscle and contour due to gym activity. Soon as I retired in 2012, I lost 20 lbs of trucker fat I’d been carrying around with me. I wore a uniform, but sad thing is I gave away all my expensive “cool” clothes to charity years ago because I never thought I’d fit into them again. Gotta start all over now, get rid of the “fat” clothes, but the old man is more practical now, and will not spend good money on “cool” clothes to attract the girls....lol! However, I still have two nice shirts I bought when I was 19 and still fit well. I use them for playing gigs.

Still, I am sorry you had to endure that garbage, Gerry. A part of your life you never told me about.

• Friendly
Upvote 0