What are you doing to survive the Trump presidency?

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,598.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If Trump is leading America in biblically inspired directions then we need nothing from this Bible.

Yes, if we look to Trump for moral leadership, we have indeed lost our way.

Yes, if we look to Trump to model biblical principles, then we have lost our way.

However, many, many folks have misinterpreted the teachings of Scripture and Jesus before.

To be fair, I don't think that Trump thinks of himself as a model of biblical principles.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Haha
Reactions: Jenny_8675309
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And who gets to make this judgment on whether Trump is leading the nation in the direction of Biblical precepts?
Anyone who knows what the Bible says and cares to judge him in that regard.

And, how is he doing so far in this area, in your opinion?
I am not one who cares to judge him. I simply pray for him.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If that is the case, how does one tell if Trump is serving evil or serving good?

It sounds like a convenient way for those on the religious Right who voted for Trump to disavow their personal responsibility for every evil and excess Trump undertakes.
You latter statement doesn't apply to me since I did not vote for Trump.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, if we look to Trump for moral leadership, we have indeed lost our way.

Yes, if we look to Trump to model biblical principles, then we have lost our way.

However, many, many folks have misinterpreted the teachings of Scripture and Jesus before.

To be fair, I don't think that Trump thinks of himself as a model of biblical principles.

And I'm fine with that, except he intensely courted and received the most religious Right votes in the last election.

It seems to me that many people who would be quick to use their religious beliefs to LAMBASTE many other politicians, simply turned their religious beliefs off to support Trump.

It shows a certain hypocrisy and a certain level of gullability among people who think "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anyone who knows what the Bible says and cares to judge him in that regard.

I am not one who cares to judge him. I simply pray for him.

Sure, all kinds of people judge others actions. I am more concerned about whether those judgments have any application to the real world and whether they can be determined accurate judgments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I'm finishing up a degree, studying for the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exam, planning to buy a house early next year, continuing to advance my carrer.

Had Hillary won I would be:

Finishing up a degree, studying for the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exam, planning to buy a house early next year, continuing to advance my career.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it's God's will that America be punished, or even destroyed. If any presidents contributes to that cause he or she is doing God's will. The promise of American greatness was unconditional, but not perpetual.

So the people who voted for him despite a huge amount of evidence that these issues that are dogging him now were there from the beginning, should be let off the hook for responsibility for this? Because God is the one who orchestrated this?

No, I'm afraid not. If the country is brought to its knees even slightly because of Trump's actions there is only ONE GROUP who is responsible: the Trump voters. No one else. God isn't playing a role here unless it is to remind the people who take action without thought for the consequences that those consequences will come back.

The Bible even says so: "For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up." Hosea 8:7

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
So the people who voted for him despite a huge amount of evidence that these issues that are dogging him now were there from the beginning, should be let off the hook for responsibility for this? Because God is the one who orchestrated this?

No, I'm afraid not. If the country is brought to its knees even slightly because of Trump's actions there is only ONE GROUP who is responsible: the Trump voters. No one else. God isn't playing a role here unless it is to remind the people who take action without thought for the consequences that those consequences will come back.

The Bible even says so: "For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up." Hosea 8:7

The bigger issue I have with any line of thinking that a leader shouldn't be opposed because they were put there by the divine is that heroes of the Bible went up against leaders that would have been put there by the divine. The argument could just as easily be made that the leaders are put there as a moral test to those who hold true to the idea that "justice, justice shall you pursue".

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm finishing up a degree, studying for the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exam, planning to buy a house early next year, continuing to advance my carrer.

Had Hillary won I would be:

Finishing up a degree, studying for the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exam, planning to buy a house early next year, continuing to advance my career.

The only difference is: you may not have affordable healthcare next year. You may be living in a country racked by severe levels of racial discord. You may be living in a country wherein the controls put on the Stock Market and INvestment intended to forestall another 2007-2008 style collapse are nowhere to be seen and the market goes into another tailspin thereby eliminating your ability to buy a house or much of anything else.

I'm not saying Hillary would necessarily be infinitely better, but at least a party that was intent on making more of those systems functional was not elected because a large enough bloc of voters couldn't differentiate between an unqualified used-car salesman type buffoon and a possibly somewhat unpleasant career politician with a huge amount of capability to at least enact legislation and a lower propensity to shoot from the hip requiring constant fires to be put out.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The only difference is: you may not have affordable healthcare next year. You may be living in a country racked by severe levels of racial discord. You may be living in a country wherein the controls put on the Stock Market and INvestment intended to forestall another 2007-2008 style collapse are nowhere to be seen and the market goes into another tailspin thereby eliminating your ability to buy a house or much of anything else.

I'm not saying Hillary would necessarily be infinitely better, but at least a party that was intent on making more of those systems functional was not elected because a large enough bloc of voters couldn't differentiate between an unqualified used-car salesman type buffoon and a possibly somewhat unpleasant career politician with a huge amount of capability to at least enact legislation and a lower propensity to shoot from the hip requiring constant fires to be put out.

I voted for Hillary and oppose President Trump's agenda. What people don't always get is that I support liberal views because I believe they help everybody. In some respects, I could just say "I got mine" and be against liberal views. My healthcare is going to be fine, I get it through my job and a job with my skills dictates good healthcare as a perk. The stock market going down would be a problem, but on the other hand I could invest a lot more during a crash and make a ton of money. A crash would also make the housing market a lot cheaper.

I support views that would cost me personally more in taxes and such. I believe everything you say here. But I just would point out that my life isn't going to change much because of Trump or Hillary. "I got mine".

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I voted for Hillary and oppose President Trump's agenda. What people don't always get is that I support liberal views because I believe they help everybody. In some respects, I could just say "I got mine" and be against liberal views. My healthcare is going to be fine, I get it through my job and a job with my skills dictates good healthcare as a perk. The stock market going down would be a problem, but on the other hand I could invest a lot more during a crash and make a ton of money. A crash would also make the housing market a lot cheaper.

I support views that would cost me personally more in taxes and such. I believe everything you say here. But I just would point out that my life isn't going to change much because of Trump or Hillary. "I got mine".

I am very close to being on the same page with you. One difference is, I voted for neither Trump or Hilary and in my state, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

And, in regards to politicians being able to do things to help the quality of life of the American people, they have some tough lessons to learn. Hopefully, a goofball like Trump wiping out all his republican competitors and then beating a real weak national candidate in Clinton, was the slap in the face that teaches them some lessons. If they had been paying attention, they would have seen the American public lost faith in politicians in general, for a number of years and this is what you get, when they don't adjust.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Ordered a lot of e-popcorn. The fact that the Democrats and media have gone into full blown moral panic like the Satanic panic of the 80s is interesting.

What do you guys think if ... Hypothetically ... I didn't vote in the last presidential election? I'd hate to admit to anything that might get me stoned in here so this is, of course, purely hypothetical. One possible reality of many...

Did you vote?

I voted for the goofball the libertarians ran. Only one that was on the list that I would not need a brillo pad and lye soap to feel clean after voting for.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ordered a lot of e-popcorn. The fact that the Democrats and media have gone into full blown moral panic like the Satanic panic of the 80s is interesting.

Hmmm. Interesting. So the liberals are freaking out just because the President of the United States who loaded his inner circle with people of questionable racial opinions like Bannon, Miller and Gorka provided a luke-warm criticism of white nationalists exactly in accordance with the previous assumption that Trump was playing footsy with White Nationalist/Supremacists/Neo-Nazis during the campaign.

Huh. I wonder why the Left would overreact so?

Well, you know the Left. So willing to overblow even the smallest thing. Just a couple years back I remember a group of Americans who saw a secret muslim sneak into the office of President and proceed to destroy America from the inside. I remember this group trying to warn us all of impending marxist shariah caliphates being established in the US right after the pretender President confiscated all teh gunz.

I wish we had listened to them. They were so, so right.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I voted and personally feel that those who did not and COULD have have no right to complain about the results. I am not saying that you are only that I feel it is that important to vote.
If everyone in CA had voted for our against any particular candidate it would have not made a single difference in the results of the election so you tell me, why should anyone care when their state doesn't affect the results?

Upvote 0