• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

What are YOU currently reading? (8)

Discussion in 'Book Club' started by Special_J, Nov 16, 2013.

1. RJ Howard

RJ Howard Wascawwy Wabbit

+57
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I'm currently reading Beyond Winter by Isabel Allende in Spanish

2. NIrelandGillian

NIrelandGillian Member

+481
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Married
    Two books I am reading are More Than a Prophet: an Insider's Response to Muslim Beliefs about Jesus and Christianity by Emir Caner and Ergun Caner and Camino Winds by John Grisham, which is about a hurricane hitting Camino Island and a murder taking place.

Gillian

3. Sif

Sif .

+1,417
    United States
    Other Religion
    Private
    A Man at Arms by Steven Pressfield.
    It is a story set in the decades after the Crucifixion of Jesus. A man calling himself Paul, who the Romans consider a religious fanatic, has dispatched a letter to the city of Corinth. The Roman authorities dispatch a man to hunt the courier of this letter and prevent its delivery. However, the man dispatched may become a convert to the new faith.

4. Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee Disciplemaker Supporter

+4,358
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Winter of the World by Ken Follett. He is my new favorite author… I haven’t been so absorbed in reading in a while!

5. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+15,064
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    Rereading The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Andy Serkis (Gollum) recorded them and did a good job.

6. Bumble Bee

+4,358
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Ceremony in death

7. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+15,064
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    Finished The Fall of Gondolin. Started A Game of Thrones yesterday.

8. Sif

Sif .

+1,417
    United States
    Other Religion
    Private
    I enjoyed the Fall of Gondolin. Have you read the Children of Hurin? It is based on a part of The Kalevala called The Kullervo Cycle, which one of Tolkien's favorite stories from the epic.

9. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+15,064
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    Yes, it was really good. I’d like to revisit it and The Silmarillion. But I’ll read The Unfinished Tales first.

10. Sif

Sif .

+1,417
    United States
    Other Religion
    Private
    The Silmarillion is a tough read, but well worth it. I've read the Unfinish Tales. I enjoyed them and seeing some of Tolkien's other ideas for Middle Earth.

If you ever have the inclination to read The Kalevala I highly recommend it. It is a compilation of Finnish folklore. It was a strong influence on Tolkien. Its main 'hero', Väinämöinen, has many similarities to Gandalf. I think his fictional Elvish Language of Quenya is loosely based on the Finnish language

11. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+15,064
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    That was my starting point. It made practical sense but it was an undertaking. By the midpoint you get the gist. But you'll have to revisit it. For backstory I’d recommend a Tolkien YouTube channel for an overview, like Nerd of the Rings and starting with the Hobbit.

It’s on my TBR. Winter is a good time for lengthy tales. I didn’t plan to cover GOT but Tolkien was a good lead in. There’s enough distance from the series and a new one beginning. I’d have time to cover the main story and the newer one if desired.

What are you reading now?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Sif

Sif .

+1,417
    United States
    Other Religion
    Private

New of the Rings is a good channel as is Men of The West. Both are good for Tolkien/Middle Earth information.

I am currently finishing the Sage of Hrolf Kraki and His Champions, translated by Jack Crawford.

As for what's upcoming on my To Read List is Bury by Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown for a history book and for a fiction book, Titan by Ben Bova (part of his Grand Tour series on the colonization of the Solar System),

13. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+15,064
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    I enjoy both. It’s such a rabbit hole. I ended up looking for recipes for lembas bread and avoiding a video from someone who followed the hobbit diet for a day! But I’m intrigued by Hobbiton and think its a must see.

I’ve heard good things about Brown’s book. I think you’ll like it.

14. Warden_of_the_Storm

Warden_of_the_Storm Well-Known Member

+4,911
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    I've been reading Islands of Abandonment: Life in the Post-Human Landscape by Cal Flyn. It's a very through provoking book on the nature of humans affecting the world we live in and how nature can bounce back from it in unexpected ways.

I'm only in chapter 5 right now, where she explores the delipidated and deserted areas of Detroit, Michigan and it is such an interesting and (repeating myself here I know) thought provoking read.

15. redletters

redletters New Member

+17
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I'm currently reading The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker! I ended up finishing this month's book, Dracula, way early, so it's a nice little breather between that and February's book! Though, I don't know how long it'll last as a breather, since it's very short!

I honestly loved Hellraiser as a kid, and just horror in general, so I'm really enjoying this novella! I'm on chapter six right now, and I can't wait to read through the rest of it! Even though I pretty much know where it's going, it's still a very nice read. :blush:

16. Bumble Bee

+4,358
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    World without End