Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In the women's ordination thread there has been some heated debate.

In the midst of it there have been a number of suggestions that we should not discuss the issue because it is contentious and we should just all agree to disagree.

My question is.. if we can't talk about things we disagree on... why even bother coming to a forum? Do you guys seriously just want to sit around and say "yep thats right!" to each other all day?

for me the point of forums is to talk about things. That of necessity involves having differing opinions and views.

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Speaking for myself, it is the tone of the discourse which bothered me; I am happy to discuss, or not discuss, as anyone wishes -- but I will not allow insults to my character or relationship with God.
I understand and feel the same way. I can't answer for everyone, but I think I've maintained a reasonable tone and haven't impugned anyone's character.

To me, issues of reasoning and debate are impersonal. Thus if someone questions my reasoning, I don't take it as any reflection on me, but I also don't see if is any reflection on another person if I think their reasoning, or their understanding on a particular issue is wrong.
We're all wrong a good portion of the time, so no use getting bent out of shape over people thinking that you are wrong.

Don't let that fool you of course... i AM right ;)

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand and feel the same way. I can't answer for everyone, but I think I've maintained a reasonable tone and haven't impugned anyone's character.

To me, issues of reasoning and debate are impersonal. Thus if someone questions my reasoning, I don't take it as any reflection on me, but I also don't see if is any reflection on another person if I think their reasoning, or their understanding on a particular issue is wrong.
We're all wrong a good portion of the time, so no use getting bent out of shape over people thinking that you are wrong.

Don't let that fool you of course... i AM right ;)

;)

No, I am not upset at you, nor do I feel insulted by anything you've posted. I appreciate your effort to respect those who disagree with you. As I mentioned in the other thread, I have great respect for people who disagree with me out of scriptural convictions. If we arrive at different conclusions, at least we can recognize the shared value of turning to scripture for answers, and I admire anyone who seeks truth (even if they don't realize that I'm right ;) ).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My question is.. if we can't talk about things we disagree on... why even bother coming to a forum?

We can talk about things we disagree on...all day long.

But it's supposed to be a discussion among Conservatives.

Here's a topic:

To what extent is a church responsible for pastors who are revealed to be child molestors or other kinds of similar aggressors and perverts? This is not a question about legal damages, for that is a matter for the courts.

(Is this a conservative topic? Sure. It supposes that such actions are morally wrong and not just a violation of secular mores or the law.)

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We can talk about things we disagree on...all day long.

But it's supposed to be a discussion among Conservatives.

Here's a topic:

To what extent is a church responsible for pastors who are revealed to be child molestors or other kinds of similar aggressors and perverts? This is not a question about legal damages, for that is a matter for the courts.

(Is this a conservative topic? Sure. It supposes that such actions are morally wrong and not just a violation of secular mores or the law.)
I think the church's main issue of responsability here is that all across the board, churches use wrong standards to make leaders. In many churches you become a leader by getting a degree, regardless of actuall heart attitude and belief.

In others leaders are made because they can work a crowd well and they have strong personality that enables them to excite people.

When actual wisdom, and maturity in relationship with God and really knowing God cease to be the necessary qualifications for being an elder, problems result.

The churches bear the responsability and the result not only for sexually immoral leaders, but leaders who teach false doctrine and subvert the Truth of God. Leaders who don't lead people into knowledge of God. etc

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That topic would be fine, brother.

I am with Macrina - the topic was fine - it was the way it was handled by some - not you, Simon - that was NOT fine.

I understand your concerns, Albion, about the groundwork that is being laid for this forum. That is why I have continued in that discussion. In fact, I'm apologizing here and now for posting after you said the topic was closed. Even though you are not a moderator, nor really in "authority" over me in any way, and even though I felt it was out of order for you to assume the authority to speak imperatively like that, I should have submitted to you out of reverence for Christ, as the Bible indicates that we should all submit to one another. My bad.

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I think one of the problems we are going to have is the fact that Conservative can mean so many things to so many people.

How liberal does one have to be before they are disqualified to be a Conservative? Do you see my point?

Anyway, in that other thread, I was not saying, "Stop the discussion!" I was just saying to take a breather and let things settle down for a bit. I just didn't want it to become a free-for-all, and I wanted to remind people that we are Christians.

We should be able to discuss without sarcasm, bitterness, or anger. That is all that I am saying.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That topic would be fine, brother.

I am with Macrina - the topic was fine - it was the way it was handled by some - not you, Simon - that was NOT fine.

I understand your concerns, Albion, about the groundwork that is being laid for this forum. That is why I have continued in that discussion. In fact, I'm apologizing here and now for posting after you said the topic was closed. Even though you are not a moderator, nor really in "authority" over me in any way, and even though I felt it was out of order for you to assume the authority to speak imperatively like that, I should have submitted to you out of reverence for Christ, as the Bible indicates that we should all submit to one another. My bad.

blessings
tal

It was a lighthearted an obviously unofficial appeal for everyone to put this to rest...and now THAT has to become the topic of a lecture.

I give up.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was a lighthearted appeal for everyone to put this to rest, and now THAT becomes the topic of a lecture.

I give up.

No, don't give up. If you think about it, it worked. Now, we are here talking about how we should discuss things without rancor. That is sucess, not failure!

Lisa

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, don't give up. If you think about it, it worked. Now, we are here talking about how we should discuss things without rancor. That is sucess, not failure!

Lisa

Thank you Lisa, and you too, Tal.

I am really exasperated, but I will tell you why precisely.

It's because I feel, deep down, that there are a majority of really good and decent people here such that it is a SHAME that the functioning of the board can't go better. If this were a place populated by the quarrelsome, meanspirited folks that predominate on other ones, I wouldn't have labored half so long as I did to get my plea across.

And I do apologize for the bogus Mod stuff. It must have looked more convincing than I thought it would.:D

I figured that having my name on it would instantly indicate that is wasn't a real Mod speaking; there's no "M" by my name, etc.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's because I feel, deep down, that there are a majority of really good and decent people here such that it is a SHAME that the functioning of the board can't go better. If this were a place populated by the quarrelsome, meanspirited folks that predominate on other ones, I wouldn't have labored half so long as I did to get my plea across.
I'll take what I can get, lol....... ((((((albion, bro)))))))

God bless us, every one
tal

PS _ SIMON FOR MODERATOR!

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll take what I can get, lol....... ((((((albion, bro)))))))

God bless us, every one
tal

PS _ SIMON FOR MODERATOR!

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Simon For Moderator!!!! :thumbsup: :clap:

Lisa

Upvote 0

beverhome

Jul 11, 2007
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟15,488.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really think the question is more centered to this being a conservative forum. I could go to pretty much any forum and read about whether woman should preach and see it get into a heated debate. But what is the conservative view about preaching? Maybe we could take a vote on that and set aside emotions for a little bit.
But I do not want to post in what I think is conservative area and have to defend myself. Then this forum is no different than any other. I thought I could post conservative opinions freely and with out prejudice. If that is not the case I will leave because I do not need a other area to try to defend myself and my narrow minded way of thinking.
Blessings
April

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Please don't leave, april!
No one is slamming anyone for being too conservative - if anything, the opposite is the case!

But - no votes, please!!
That is one of the causes of the chaos here!
Democracy is not in any way Biblical!!

God bless you, Sis!

:hug:

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't worry guys, I'll leave so you won't have to deal with me. Enjoy your forum. :wave:

I was very much enjoying reading your posts, Macrina. I hope you will stay.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Don't worry guys, I'll leave so you won't have to deal with me. Enjoy your forum. :wave:
No, don't go. The forum is never going to get anywhere useful if everyone leaves because of the possability of contentious discussion.

We can't be afraid of stuff like that, we have to just accept responsability for ourselves and our community here on the forum. If offenses arise, we can handle them in humility and love. Better that than never fellowshipping for fear that we might offend, or be offended.

Reactions: Lisa0315
Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, don't go. The forum is never going to get anywhere useful if everyone leaves because of the possability of contentious discussion.

We can't be afraid of stuff like that, we have to just accept responsability for ourselves and our community here on the forum. If offenses arise, we can handle them in humility and love. Better that than never fellowshipping for fear that we might offend, or be offended.

I completely agree! Humility and Love are the key. We should be able to talk about ANYTHING, but every conversation needs to be as if we were talking with Jesus.

Lisa

Upvote 0