What are the sings that a person is indwelt with the Holy Spirit?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Okay so it goes like this. I'm a tad bit concerned for my wife's salvation since she doesn't seem to be exhibiting any signs that she is indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Mainly she doesn't do any good works while I do do good works. I also was fortunate enough to see myself be born again in a vision from God so I KNOW that I have the Holy Spirit. But obviously my wife wasn't that "lucky"

It's like... My wife doesn't care about God or Christ at all. She would rather play video games than do any work for Christ and when I bring it up she gets mad at me and says "Shane I know for sure I am saved." and then I say "Why?" and she says "Because the Bible tells me so." is this a sign of the Holy Spirit is working faith and assurance in her? My wife has been a believer her entire life and probably will die a believer. Is this a sign of the Holy Spirit? Since the Holy Spirit works to keep us in the faith?

Is it perhaps that God has not called her into good works yet and that is why my wife shows like almost little progress? I mean I'm addicted to video games too but I still set aside time each day to talk to God and post on the Christian forums but my wife hasn't been on these boards in like a month. I tried getting her to post here but she just doesn't want to.

Which brings me to my next concern. My wife doesn't pray like... At all. She says it always makes her feel awkward because she's basically a loser and God wouldn't want to talk to her. Which sounds more like the devil is convincing her of these things and is blocking her. Idk... I just don't know. My wife us a believer but it makes me wonder if just being a believer is enough. I mean she always gets mad at me when I bring up that my mom isn't saved but my mom is stuck IN her good works and she just doesn't do good works at all. I mean she's a good person but that doesn't save at all.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Encourage her, be patient everyone's walk is different PRAY

I have been praying for her but I also feel like God doesn't understand my concerns. Which is silly because God understands everything but it feels like God is saying "Why are you being stupid? Ofc she's saved" Idk... It could just be that she hasn't hit that point in her Christian walk. She is after all still in her 20s.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay so it goes like this. I'm a tad bit concerned for my wife's salvation since she doesn't seem to be exhibiting any signs that she is indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Mainly she doesn't do any good works while I do do good works. I also was fortunate enough to see myself be born again in a vision from God so I KNOW that I have the Holy Spirit. But obviously my wife wasn't that "lucky"

It's like... My wife doesn't care about God or Christ at all. She would rather play video games than do any work for Christ and when I bring it up she gets mad at me and says "Shane I know for sure I am saved." and then I say "Why?" and she says "Because the Bible tells me so." is this a sign of the Holy Spirit is working faith and assurance in her? My wife has been a believer her entire life and probably will die a believer. Is this a sign of the Holy Spirit? Since the Holy Spirit works to keep us in the faith?

Is it perhaps that God has not called her into good works yet and that is why my wife shows like almost little progress? I mean I'm addicted to video games too but I still set aside time each day to talk to God and post on the Christian forums but my wife hasn't been on these boards in like a month. I tried getting her to post here but she just doesn't want to.

Which brings me to my next concern. My wife doesn't pray like... At all. She says it always makes her feel awkward because she's basically a loser and God wouldn't want to talk to her. Which sounds more like the devil is convincing her of these things and is blocking her. Idk... I just don't know. My wife us a believer but it makes me wonder if just being a believer is enough. I mean she always gets mad at me when I bring up that my mom isn't saved but my mom is stuck IN her good works and she just doesn't do good works at all. I mean she's a good person but that doesn't save at all.
I know some people who are "on fire for Jesus" who will have nothing to do with the Christ of the bible. And others more subdued in their faith, living in accordance with the law. We all want to walk by sight and create props and other artificial means of assurance around us. But I would much rather see my wife as her quiet non-religious self, trusting in God where it matters, than being one of the blind zealots I'm more accustomed to.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

So you have a wife, who is basically telling you that she feels like a loser in the presence of God, and instead of lifting her up in prayer, praying with her, and assuring her worth in Christ, as a husband you are called to do, you decide to instead think about how less of a believer she is?

And then post about your disappointment, online.

My advice: Stop wasting your time asking us to judge her, and RIGHT NOW go to her, comfort her, and pray and walk with her. The nerve...

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Does she forgive others? That's very hard to do fully -- "...forgive your brother from your heart" Christ said -- hard to do fully, from the heart, unless we are looking to Christ, keeping Him as our guide/Teacher/focus. If she does sincerely forgive others from the heart, for instance (and not yet being there with some bad offenders from our pasts is commonplace for many people) that would be a strong sign. And to forgive new offenses pretty quickly is a strong sign. I've had to pray a couple of times for help to have my heart changed to forgive a strong offense. Another powerful sign of faith is how well we can love those who have been/acted/are an 'enemy', mistreated us. That's very hard to do at all without Christ I think. I mean I could love shallowly (or briefly with effort) an enemy without Christ (I remember), but now that I am aware of what He has done for me, now my love for others that have done wrong (and all have) is deeper, more full. Not being there yet would not mean she is without Him, but it could mean she hasn't yet fully grasped His love for us, what He has done for us, even while we were still sinners and enemies of God.

It would be possible (and commonplace) for example to do the good actions of charity, but without much love (or none even), and that recalls to mind what He said about how to know those who are his disciples: "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (meaning not just those who love us, but more: all our brothers/sisters)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So you have a wife, who is basically telling you that she feels like a loser in the presence of God, and instead of lifting her up in prayer, praying with her, and assuring her worth in Christ, as a husband you are called to do, you decide to instead think about how less of a believer she is?

And then post about your disappointment, online.

My advice: Stop wasting your time asking us to judge her, and RIGHT NOW go to her, comfort her, and pray and walk with her. The nerve...

First of all I wasn't asking for judgement I was asking if the things I listed were signs that a person was indwelt with the Holy Spirit. Second of all don't you think I've tried comforting her? After all I do love her and we've been married for the last 3 and a half years. She doesn't want comfort I've tried praying with her but she just isn't interested in praying. I just don't know what to do with her.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Does she forgive others? That's very hard to do fully -- "...forgive your brother from your heart" Christ said -- hard to do fully, from the heart, unless we are looking to Christ, keeping Him as our guide/Teacher/focus. If she does sincerely forgive others from the heart, for instance (and not yet being there with some bad offenders from our pasts is commonplace for many people) that would be a strong sign. And to forgive new offenses pretty quickly is a strong sign. I've had to pray a couple of times for help to have my heart changed to forgive a strong offense. Another powerful sign of faith is how well we can love those who have been/acted/are an 'enemy', mistreated us. That's very hard to do at all without Christ I think. I mean I could love shallowly (or briefly with effort) an enemy without Christ (I remember), but now that I am aware of what He has done for me, now my love for others that have done wrong (and all have) is deeper, more full. Not being there yet would not mean she is without Him, but it could mean she hasn't yet fully grasped His love for us, what He has done for us, even while we were still sinners and enemies of God.

It would be possible (and commonplace) for example to do the good actions of charity, but without much love (or none even), and that recalls to mind what He said about how to know those who are his disciples: "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (meaning not just those who love us, but more: all our brothers/sisters)

She's a pretty forgiving person. She's forgiven me for a lot of bad things that I've done. I've never cheated on her but I've done some other pretty bad things. She's able to forgive easier than I am anyway. I have a hard time forgiving myself and sometimes others who have wronged me.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

When you fix yourself through prayer, that will solve your problems.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't think it wise to question someones salvation. People are in different stages in their walk with Jesus. Let your light shine.

Would she be open to you and her studying Gods word together?

Matthew 5:16

16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

Pray constantly that they both will receive the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is the verse that describes the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Maybe do a check list on yourself first.
Blessings

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
First of all I wasn't asking for judgement I was asking if the things I listed were signs that a person was indwelt with the Holy Spirit. Second of all don't you think I've tried comforting her? After all I do love her and we've been married for the last 3 and a half years. She doesn't want comfort I've tried praying with her but she just isn't interested in praying. I just don't know what to do with her.

But such little information on your end of how she operates, how do you expect us, strangers to righteously judge that situation? So it wouldn’t be a fair judgement to based whether or not she is saved on the couple of things that you listed that ticks you off.

You keep praying for her, that’s what you do with her. Her salvation is up to her and God, but either way it’s not in your hands. The only thing you can do instead of approaching the situation with doubt, is to be one of hope.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
She doesn't do any good works? Does she fulfill her marital duties and express love in a variety of ways to you? Does she show patience? Is she kind? Is she honest? Can you trust her? Is she faithful? If so, those are good works. Doing good works is not just about visible church service or giving to the poor. It's about being "good" (growing in spiritual fruit) which then comes out in her behaviour.

How do you know she doesn't pray? I don't think I ever prayed even once with my ex - and he never prayed with me. Do I assume that just because neither of us did it together, that neither of us do it? Of course not! In fact, my prayer and worship time was in my car when I commuted to and from work, and periodically throughout the day. That is still my pattern. I rarely, if ever, pray in front of anyone. So please don't assume she is not praying, just because she is not doing it in front of you.

Coming onto these boards? Really? Is that one "work" that would be acceptable to show the indwelling of the Spirit? If so, then there are a LOT of Christians out there who are not indwelt. This is not a sign that someone has the Spirit, and it's unrealistic to think that it is. In fact, the internet has only been around for 30ish years. Most Christians I know are out there in the real world, with real people, talking about real things, not on internet boards discussing the possibilities of their partner's lack of spiritual evidence.

Advice: don't worry about her salvation. She's not. You are saying you don't believe her, you don't trust her sense of assurance of her salvation. You are saying you don't trust God. You are saying you need evidence, but you are only focusing on what's missing, not on what's already there, so you are actually saying that you focus more on the negative than on the positive, the strengths of her faith and her person. Be careful. Framing everything negatively will have a devastating impact on your marriage, and it will hurt her deeply. If you love her, focus on the positive so that you don't hurt her. Give her the freedom to be herself and not what you expect her to be.

Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A lot of people don’t go on internet boards because they are often toxic. I’ve been going to Christian forums for a long time and at first I thought I could help others with their faith and in all that time I haven’t really helped anyone. I realized through it that the only way I can help is to tell people bible verses that are relevant to whatever they are dealing with and that faith comes from God and from reading scriptures. You can’t make someone else have faith.

Also as has already has been said it’s not for us to judge who is going to hell or heaven in this life as hard or tempting at times that that might be. Romans 10:5-18 talks about how the righteous don’t judge other people’s salvation and that faith comes from hearing the word of God not from others forcing you to be a Christian.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

If your wife is getting mad at you for asking questions like if she knows she is saved... stop. Don't ask again. You are tearing down your marriage. Don't do that.

Second, don't bother her with telling her to post on message boards. Not everyone is cut out to do that. If she doesn't want to, then she shouldn't.

Third, when you eat dinner, pray for the both of you. And make sure your prayers are not "G-d help my wife, because she is not praying enough". You just pray that G-d watches over both of you, and keeps your marriage intact.

Fourth, let G-d deal with your wife. You need to worry about you. Not her. Your job is to love your wife, and keep her warm. Not to point at her deficiencies.

I've seen couples, rip their marriage apart, by sitting around pointing out where the other person isn't doing things well. Keep your mind on what your wife does well. Stop talking to her about the things you think she should do better.

Lastly, unless your spouse is doing something extremely serious, like worshiping satan, or committing crimes, or sleeping around with other people....

Then I would not post it on a forum like this. If she comes on this forum, and sees this post, you will have done a lot of serious damage to your relationship, which the reality is you have a good woman, that loves you, and is doing her best in this world. Quite frankly, you have a woman that a lot of Christian men dream about.

If I were you, I would report your own thread to the admins, and ask them to have it removed. You said you asked her to post on here. I would not want her to see this thread. I would have this thread removed. That's my advice. G-d be with you brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it wise to question someones salvation. People are in different stages in their walk with Jesus. Let your light shine.

Would she be open to you and her studying Gods word together?

Matthew 5:16

16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

Pray constantly that they both will receive the Holy Spirit.

Yes we do read scripture together but I'm sorry to say it isn't a daily habit. We read scripture probably once a week. Idk I tend to question things. Like my own salvation I used to question back when I didn't believe in the Trinity or that Jesus is God. Some members here might remember that it was like 3 years ago. But God ended up changing me so he probably will change my wife too. It just takes time.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here is the verse that describes the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Maybe do a check list on yourself first.
Blessings

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Thank you. I had forgotten that Paul listed the fruits of the spirit.

Reactions: Stone-n-Steel
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
She doesn't do any good works? Does she fulfill her marital duties and express love in a variety of ways to you? Does she show patience? Is she kind? Is she honest? Can you trust her? Is she faithful? If so, those are good works. Doing good works is not just about visible church service or giving to the poor. It's about being "good" (growing in spiritual fruit) which then comes out in her behaviour.

How do you know she doesn't pray? I don't think I ever prayed even once with my ex - and he never prayed with me. Do I assume that just because neither of us did it together, that neither of us do it? Of course not! In fact, my prayer and worship time was in my car when I commuted to and from work, and periodically throughout the day. That is still my pattern. I rarely, if ever, pray in front of anyone. So please don't assume she is not praying, just because she is not doing it in front of you.

Coming onto these boards? Really? Is that one "work" that would be acceptable to show the indwelling of the Spirit? If so, then there are a LOT of Christians out there who are not indwelt. This is not a sign that someone has the Spirit, and it's unrealistic to think that it is. In fact, the internet has only been around for 30ish years. Most Christians I know are out there in the real world, with real people, talking about real things, not on internet boards discussing the possibilities of their partner's lack of spiritual evidence.

Advice: don't worry about her salvation. She's not. You are saying you don't believe her, you don't trust her sense of assurance of her salvation. You are saying you don't trust God. You are saying you need evidence, but you are only focusing on what's missing, not on what's already there, so you are actually saying that you focus more on the negative than on the positive, the strengths of her faith and her person. Be careful. Framing everything negatively will have a devastating impact on your marriage, and it will hurt her deeply. If you love her, focus on the positive so that you don't hurt her. Give her the freedom to be herself and not what you expect her to be.

My wife is lazy and does like the bare minimum she'll do laundry and dishes and cook for me but only because she has to lol. But she does do stuff for me you're right. But I never really thought of those as good works because almost all wives do that for their husbands. Just like almost every husband loves their wife and would do everything for them. I do anyway and I think a majority of husbands do that. Oh and she's generally a very kind person. She is more kind than I am. So I guess that's a sign of the spirit. I just figured that she would want to get more active in our church and she really doesn't have any money of her own to donate so I can't expect her to donate money. Especially when I already donate enough money regularly. My wife is generally honest she hardly ever lies to me or to others and if she does she generally apologizes pretty quickly.

I know she doesn't pray and why she doesn't pray because she tells me. And whenever I bring up that she doesn't pray she says "Yeah I don't. I really should start but its so awkward everytime I try." but apparently she thinks about God all the time which she argues is a fruit of the spirit.

Idk I think I'm just being stupid and God knows this. I think I should be more patient with my wife I mean she's still in her 20s and just started the path of life like 6 years ago. I can't expect her to know and do everything just because she's on a different Christian walk than me. Its like every one says each Christian grows differently.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
A lot of people don’t go on internet boards because they are often toxic. I’ve been going to Christian forums for a long time and at first I thought I could help others with their faith and in all that time I haven’t really helped anyone. I realized through it that the only way I can help is to tell people bible verses that are relevant to whatever they are dealing with and that faith comes from God and from reading scriptures. You can’t make someone else have faith.

Also as has already has been said it’s not for us to judge who is going to hell or heaven in this life as hard or tempting at times that that might be. Romans 10:5-18 talks about how the righteous don’t judge other people’s salvation and that faith comes from hearing the word of God not from others forcing you to be a Christian.

I like going on CF because its a way to discuss Christianity with other believers and I've made many friends on here. I think of my wife was active on here it would really help with her Christian walk and to get closer to God. But then again so couldn't reading the Bible more.

Reactions: sea5763
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes we do read scripture together but I'm sorry to say it isn't a daily habit. We read scripture probably once a week. Idk I tend to question things. Like my own salvation I used to question back when I didn't believe in the Trinity or that Jesus is God. Some members here might remember that it was like 3 years ago. But God ended up changing me so he probably will change my wife too. It just takes time.

Not sure how you study the Lords word ... but best to do so topically ... especially for new(er) believers ... study guides can really help keeping focused on topics and provides for the broad biblical view.

Yes, it will take time ... keep after it.

May the Lord help you and your wife grow together as you learn more about Him. Amen

God Bless.

Upvote 0