What are the signs that Jesus is coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Recede,
We get what the signs are by reading our Bibles, the one book that most specifically covers the end times is revelations, but in order to realy understand most of revelations, you need to read all the books before it, many of the books in the bible tell us what the world will be like in the last days. When Jesus walked the earth he spoke of the end. It's talked about throughout the old testement and the new.

One huge sign I can think of is the fact that God has returned the jews to Israel, like it says he would in the bible. It also says he will gather all the Nations around Jerusalem, and destroy those who fight against Israel.

There will also be plagues, famines, and earthquaks.

It talks about the mark of the beast, a mark taken in the right hand or forhead in order to buy or sell goods. this is something we must not accept. there is a computer chip being made that can do all this, it is implanted under the skin, it just isn't in use yet, but we do see a cashless system coming about.

There are lots of signs, and they are all right there in the bible for us to read them.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Recede
I heard people talking about the return of Jesus just being a "heart beat" away. What are the signs, and where did you get them from?

Hi there recede, that is an very interesting and thought provoking question....  I am new to this forum, I just signed up about an hour ago and to answer your question Jesus always said to look at the signs of the times and do you think we are living in those days He was talkin about?  I guess the rapture is right around the corner huh?  There sure is a lot of activity going on in the book of Revelations too!  Sounds like things are going to break real loose soon!  As the bible always says something about soon these things are going to happen so I take it it's not far off for us all to be lifted off this aweful planet! 

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
the sign of more natural disasters, the deterioation of morality in societies, the increasing money hungry generation, increasing impersonal attitudes in societies, melting of ice-caps...etc.
but i personally think the return's still yet to come, when the gospel has reached the whole world. (which hasn't been fulfilled yet, as many scholars are still working around the clock to create languages for some tribes somewhere in the world)

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
24:3 - And as he was sitting on the slope of the Mount of Olives his disciples came to him privately and said, "Tell us, when will this happen? What will be the signal for your coming and the end of this world?"

24:4-14 - "Be careful that no one misleads you," returned Jesus, "for many men will come in my name saying 'I am christ', and they will mislead many. You will hear of wars and rumours of wars - but don't be alarmed. Such things must indeed happen, but that is not the end. For one nation will rise in arms against another, and one kingdom against another, and there will be famines and earthquakes in different parts of the world. But all that is only the beginning of the birth-pangs. For then comes the time when men will hand you over to persecution, and kill you. And all nations will hate you because you bear my name. Then comes the time when many will lose their faith, and will betray and hate each other. Yes, and many false prophets will arise, and will mislead many people. Because of the spread of wickedness the love of most men will grow cold, though the man who holds out to the end will be saved. This good news of the kingdom will be proclaimed to men all over the world as a witness to all the nations, and the end will come.

The Words of Christ from the Book of Matthew from the translation of JB Phillips

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Gerry
24:3 - And as he was sitting on the slope of the Mount of Olives his disciples came to him privately and said, "Tell us, when will this happen? What will be the signal for your coming and the end of this world?" 24:4-14 - 

Hi there brother Gerry, I appreciate all your insight on these endtime events as I am very interested in them also.  I recently learned of the Greek word that refers to the return of the Lord, "Parousia" which means "presence" or "arrival" ....  I was also wondering if you can help me with something I thought about if you will..... if the diciples did not understand that Jesus was going to die the first time (John 12:34; 16:16-18; 20:9, Mark 9:10,31-32, Luke 9:44-45; 18:31-34) and if the apostles had no idea that Jesus would physically leave them, why would they ask him about his physical return? Return from what? Therefore, the disciples could not have been asking about a future return of Christ, because they had no idea that he was leaving!  I think this might be something to ponder for a while, wouldn't you agree?  I'd like to hear your thought on this when you have the time. 

Upvote 0

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟26,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew is the only one who mentions jesus coming , Mark and Luke say nothing about jesus coming .

Matthew 24:3. Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

Luke 21:7 . So they asked Him, saying, "Teacher, but when will these things be? And what sign will there be when these things are about to take place?"

Mark 13:4 . Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign when all these things will be fulfilled?"

Now mark is the only one who names the apostles who were there :
Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked Him privately, 4"Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign when all these things will be fulfilled?"

Yet , peter , james , john , and andrew were not the ones to record this particular event in the gospels , that was left up to the three guys who were not there : matthew , mark and luke . That gives us a total of 7 guys in all not including jesus who all had a part in this .

Now we all know that if you get a group together and whisper something to the first person , by the time it gets to the last person whatever you whispered will have changed . Therefor I will use Gods code : ( there must be more than one wittness )

That leaves me to believe what mark and luke say , and they didn't mention jesus coming only matthew did . The strength of two wittnesses is greater .

Problem solved . ha ha

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Recede
I heard people talking about the return of Jesus just being a "heart beat" away. What are the signs, and where did you get them from?

All the signs are straight from Matthew 24:4-31.  By the way, are you worried about the end of the world?  Just curious.

I personally hold on to the 'heretical' eschatological view known as preterism,

However, since this board does not permit preterists to be on this forum, I would say that the greatest sign before Christ's second coming is the gospel being preached to the entire world (Matt 24:14) and I'm speaking from a postmillennial perspective.

Many of my friends hold on to this view, rather than the typical 'fire and brimstone' view like Tim Lahaye, Hal Lindsey, and the rest of the premillennial camp (aka the rapture, great tribulation, 2nd coming, etc, etc).

By the way, postmillennialists believe that Jesus would come back after the entire world has heard the gospel (Matt 24:14).  One of my favorite ministries is Gospel For Asia.  Why?  Cuz they're set on reaching the 3 billion in the 10/40 window who never heard the gospel =) I think it's time to get the gospel moving =)

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0
  Originally posted by Hoonbaba
All the signs are straight from Matthew 24:4-31.  By the way, are you worried about the end of the world?  Just curious.
I personally hold on to the 'heretical' eschatological view known as preterism, However, since this board does not permit preterists to be on this forum, I would say that the greatest sign before Christ's second coming is the gospel being preached to the entire world (Matt 24:14) and I'm speaking from a postmillennial perspective.

Hi there Jason,   I hate to sound nieve but what is pretresism?  That's a new one on me brother!  And why is it considered heresy?  Is it another form of premillenialism and why isn't allowed in what forum? ( I'm a new member here, I registered a day or so ago)  I have to admit I must have switched positions numerous times, from pre to post to pan!  It's all going to pan out in the end if you can dig my drift?  There has to be a more consistant answer to all the un-fulfilled prophecy in the bible and I think you'll agree with that? 

Many of my friends hold on to this view, rather than the typical 'fire and brimstone' view like Tim Lahaye, Hal Lindsey, and the rest of the premillennial camp (aka the rapture, great tribulation, 2nd coming, etc, etc). [/B]

As for the Tim Layhayes and the Hal Lindseys of the world and let's not forget that other guy, Van Empie?  He sounds like he's on some kind of a space ship coming in for a landing!  I take those guys with a grain of salt anymore. 

By the way, postmillennialists believe that Jesus would come back after the entire world has heard the gospel (Matt 24:14).  One of my favorite ministries is Gospel For Asia.  Why?  Cuz they're set on reaching the 3 billion in the 10/40 window who never heard the gospel =) I think it's time to get the gospel moving =) [/B]

I've always wondered as to how would it be possible for the entire world to hear the gospel i.e. every person living, when people are being born into the world everyday?  Just a thought!  I discovered some verses that say the gospel has been preached to all the world:

Colossians 1:5-6 (NKJV) because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel, 6 which has come to you, as it has also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth;

Colossians 1:23 (NKJV) if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

I agree with you, we must continue to keep witnessing the gospel to everyone.... let me know what you think of these verses and fill me in on this pretresim thing will ya?  

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by thusaith

Hi there Jason,   I hate to sound nieve but what is pretresism?  That's a new one on me brother!  And why is it considered heresy?  Is it another form of premillenialism and why isn't allowed in what forum? ( I'm a new member here, I registered a day or so ago)  I have to admit I must have switched positions numerous times, from pre to post to pan!  It's all going to pan out in the end if you can dig my drift?  There has to be a more consistant answer to all the un-fulfilled prophecy in the bible and I think you'll agree with that? 

As for the Tim Layhayes and the Hal Lindseys of the world and let's not forget that other guy, Van Empie?  He sounds like he's on some kind of a space ship coming in for a landing!  I take those guys with a grain of salt anymore. 

I've always wondered as to how would it be possible for the entire world to hear the gospel i.e. every person living, when people are being born into the world everyday?  Just a thought!  I discovered some verses that say the gospel has been preached to all the world:

Colossians 1:5-6 (NKJV) because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel, 6 which has come to you, as it has also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth;

Colossians 1:23 (NKJV) if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

I agree with you, we must continue to keep witnessing the gospel to everyone.... let me know what you think of these verses and fill me in on this pretresim thing will ya?  

Hi thusaith,

I'd love to share it, but it's so 'heretical' that I'll probably get banned =P  Anyway, I think you're on to something with Col 1:5-, Col 1:23.  Did you also notice Rom 1:8, and Rom 16:25-26?  Actually this isn't entirely just a preterist thing.  Surprisingly Hank Hannegraaf and R. C. Sproul stated that they believe these to be past.  Regardless, the 3 billion lost need the gospel!! =)

I'll PM you

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

Patmosman_sga

Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
The consummatory "event" of the ages is the marriage supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:9). Thus, the true "signs" of Jesus' return are a piece of bread and a cup of wine. In the Eucharist, we are already participating in the new heaven and the new earth, for Christ is present in our midst with all the saints, martyrs, Apostles, angels, archangels and the whole company of heaven. Gathered at the Lord's Table, we are "in touch" with the "end," the final outcome of history, the Parousia, the personal, transforming, redeeming presence of Christ in the midst of God's new creation.

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Patmosman_sga
The consummatory "event" of the ages is the marriage supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:9). Thus, the true "signs" of Jesus' return are a piece of bread and a cup of wine. In the Eucharist, we are already participating in the new heaven and the new earth, for Christ is present in our midst with all the saints, martyrs, Apostles, angels, archangels and the whole company of heaven. Gathered at the Lord's Table, we are "in touch" with the "end," the final outcome of history, the Parousia, the personal, transforming, redeeming presence of Christ in the midst of God's new creation.

Wow!!  Great post! =)

But I'm curious to know, patmosman_sga, what's your denomination?  To my knowledge protestants don't hold as much value to the Eucharist as do Catholics and Orthodox.

-Jason

Upvote 0

Patmosman_sga

Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
I am Methodist, in the tradition of John and Charles Wesley. American Methodism, for the most part, has forgotten its sacramental heritage, but the Wesleys themselves were unabashed Anglicans who held the doctrine of the Real Presence, in continuity with Apostolic teaching.

Upvote 0

The Eucharist is symbolic of the marriage supper, and is the sign of His coming?

1 Corinthians 11
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes.

Assuming we can get around the part about the Eucharist proclaiming His death (interesting wedding imagery, that) does your interpretation mean that these are the signs of His coming until He comes? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by thusaith

I hate to sound nieve but what is pretresism?

IMO, here's preterism in a nutshell.

Here's a quote from www.peterism.org:

Prediction after prediction has failed to materialize, and false hope after false hope has been foisted upon the Christian community. Many Christians have been disillusioned, and are already looking for more reasonable explanations. Some have been so disillusioned they left the faith altogether. And the secular media (who are always looking for an excuse) are further discrediting Christianity because of it. Something is terribly wrong with traditional views of Bible Prophecy.

Sound familiar? It should. Take a look at 2 Peter 3:3-4.

3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation."

The preterist "solution" to silence the scoffers is to say that all eschatology has ALREADY been fulfilled (that is, eschatology in the sense of Webster's definition "any of various Christian doctrines concerning the Second Coming, the resurrection of the dead, or the Last Judgment").

Unfortunately for the preterists, that doesn't harmonize with Peter's answer. Peter says that the impatience of the scoffer is unwarranted and unreasonable because it implies God is bound by man's timetable. He adds that God is patient and longsuffering, which is at least one reason why eschatology doesn't get fulfilled as quickly as WE think it should be fulfilled (as if we know better than God how to do these things).

(By the way, I do NOT subscribe to the theory that 2 Peter 3 tells us there's a one-to-one relationship between one day and 1,000 years. If you don't know what I'm talking about, good. It's just hyperbole that Peter uses, and it works in both directions.)

Upvote 0

Patmosman_sga

Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by npetreley
The Eucharist is symbolic of the marriage supper, and is the sign of His coming?

The Eucharist is the marriage supper. As Athanasius says, "My beloved brethren, it is no temporal feast that we come to, but an eternal, heavenly feast. We do not display it in shadows; we approach it in reality."

Assuming we can get around the part about the Eucharist proclaiming His death (interesting wedding imagery, that) does your interpretation mean that these are the signs of His coming until He comes? ;)

To "proclaim the Lord's death" in the Eucharist means to participate with him; to be one with him in the death he died to sin. For only in dying with him will we also be raised with him. The Eucharist is our participation with Christ in his suffering and death, being conformed to his image and likeness until at last we will be raised with him in glory and welcomed into his eternal kingdom.

Dispensationalists and other futurists love to quote 1 Corinthians 11 as a proof text, but the weight of 2,000 years of interpretive tradition does not support their basic assertion that the Eucharist is some interim ritual Christ has left us to do until he returns. Rather, if you read the whole passage in context, you will see that Paul connects its past institution (on the night Jesus was betrayed) and its future consummation directly with its present, perpetual celebration. It is, after all, a covenant meal and, as Scott Hahn has observed, "A covenant wasn't just a past event; it was ongoing, perpetually present, continually reactualized."

The Eucharist gives us a glimpse of the glory to come while, at the same time, reminding us of how God has already, in Christ, accomplished our salvation and imparting to us the real and living hope whereby we can live in the present as faithful witnesses to Him who is forevermore King of kings and Lord of lords.

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
I am Methodist, in the tradition of John and Charles Wesley. American Methodism, for the most part, has forgotten its sacramental heritage, but the Wesleys themselves were unabashed Anglicans who held the doctrine of the Real Presence, in continuity with Apostolic teaching.

Whoa..I had no idea.  So do Methodists believe in transubstantiation like Catholics, and Orthodox?  And do Anglicans believe that too?  Also, are there any other denominations that believe in the Real Presence as well?

I've met some former protestants that joined the Catholics and they say that the Real Presence in the Eucharist is an incredible blessing to experience.  What are your thoughts on the Eucharist?

Personally I'm absolutely eager to partake in the Eucharist, whether it be Catholic, Orthodox, or whatever!! :)

Unfortunately, my church doesn't really care about communion.  It's something that's done only like 12 times a year.  People often say things like, "Why do it every week?  It'll become just another rote ritualistic activity".  Yet, we all do 'rote' things like eating...heh and we all generally do it 3 times a day.  Personally I enjoy such 'rote' activity. :p Now if only I can partake in the covenant meal at least once a week :)

-Jason

Upvote 0

Patmosman_sga

Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by Hoonbaba

Whoa..I had no idea.  So do Methodists believe in transubstantiation like Catholics, and Orthodox?  And do Anglicans believe that too?  Also, are there any other denominations that believe in the Real Presence as well?

I've met some former protestants that joined the Catholics and they say that the Real Presence in the Eucharist is an incredible blessing to experience.  What are your thoughts on the Eucharist?

Personally I'm absolutely eager to partake in the Eucharist, whether it be Catholic, Orthodox, or whatever!! :)

Unfortunately, my church doesn't really care about communion.  It's something that's done only like 12 times a year.  People often say things like, "Why do it every week?  It'll become just another rote ritualistic activity".  Yet, we all do 'rote' things like eating...heh and we all generally do it 3 times a day.  Personally I enjoy such 'rote' activity. :p Now if only I can partake in the covenant meal at least once a week :)

-Jason

Wesley deferred more to the Eastern Orthodox understanding of the Eucharist, which is much more reticent about the mystery than is the Roman Catholic "transubstantiation." The Orthodox are content to let the mystery speak for itself than to presume to speak for the mystery.

We celebrate the Eucharist every other week except during the summer months, when we celebrate once a month. It is widely anticipated that our next General Conference (2004) will recommend that all churches begin weekly observance.

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic

Wesley deferred more to the Eastern Orthodox understanding of the Eucharist, which is much more reticent about the mystery than is the Roman Catholic "transubstantiation." The Orthodox are content to let the mystery speak for itself than to presume to speak for the mystery.

We celebrate the Eucharist every other week except during the summer months, when we celebrate once a month. It is widely anticipated that our next General Conference (2004) will recommend that all churches begin weekly observance.

Wow, thanks for sharing...but what about Anglicans? or Lutherans?  Do they hold on to a similar tradition?

Thanks!

-Jason

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.