Washington State
✟103,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello! Several Old Testament passages reference "Sabbaths" (Strongs 07676, shabbath), "New Moons" (Strongs 02320, chodesh), and "Set Feasts" (Strongs 04150, mow‘ed), along with the occasional mention of "feasts" (Strongs 02282, chag) as well (all verses NKJV, emphasis mine):

Behold, I am building a temple for the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to Him, to burn before Him sweet incense, for the continual showbread, for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676], on the New Moons [chodesh, 02320], and on the set feasts [mow‘ed, 04150] of the LORD our God. This is an ordinance forever to Israel. (2 Chronicles 2:4)

The king also appointed a portion of his possessions for the burnt offerings: for the morning and evening burnt offerings, the burnt offerings for the Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676] and the New Moons [chodesh, 02320] and the set feasts [mow‘ed, 04150], as it is written in the Law of the LORD. (2 Chronicles 31:3)

for the showbread, for the regular grain offering, for the regular burnt offering of the Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676], the New Moons [chodesh, 02320], and the set feasts [mow‘ed, 04150]; for the holy things, for the sin offerings to make atonement for Israel, and all the work of the house of our God. (Nehemiah 10:33)

Then it shall be the prince’s part to give burnt offerings, grain offerings, and drink offerings, at the feasts [chag, 02282], the New Moons [chodesh, 02320], the Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676], and at all the appointed seasons [mow‘ed, 04150] of the house of Israel. He shall prepare the sin offering, the grain offering, the burnt offering, and the peace offerings to make atonement for the house of Israel. (Ezekiel 45:17)

I will also cause all her mirth to cease, Her feast days [chag, 02282], Her New Moons [chodesh, 02320], Her Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676]—All her appointed feasts [mow‘ed, 04150]. (Hosea 2:11)

What do each of the three (or four) terms mean in these passages?

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello! Several Old Testament passages reference "Sabbaths" (Strongs 07676, shabbath), "New Moons" (Strongs 02320, chodesh), and "Set Feasts" (Strongs 04150, mow‘ed), along with the occasional mention of "feasts" (Strongs 02282, chag) as well (all verses NKJV, emphasis mine):

Behold, I am building a temple for the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to Him, to burn before Him sweet incense, for the continual showbread, for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676], on the New Moons [chodesh, 02320], and on the set feasts [mow‘ed, 04150] of the LORD our God. This is an ordinance forever to Israel. (2 Chronicles 2:4)

The king also appointed a portion of his possessions for the burnt offerings: for the morning and evening burnt offerings, the burnt offerings for the Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676] and the New Moons [chodesh, 02320] and the set feasts [mow‘ed, 04150], as it is written in the Law of the LORD. (2 Chronicles 31:3)

for the showbread, for the regular grain offering, for the regular burnt offering of the Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676], the New Moons [chodesh, 02320], and the set feasts [mow‘ed, 04150]; for the holy things, for the sin offerings to make atonement for Israel, and all the work of the house of our God. (Nehemiah 10:33)

Then it shall be the prince’s part to give burnt offerings, grain offerings, and drink offerings, at the feasts [chag, 02282], the New Moons [chodesh, 02320], the Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676], and at all the appointed seasons [mow‘ed, 04150] of the house of Israel. He shall prepare the sin offering, the grain offering, the burnt offering, and the peace offerings to make atonement for the house of Israel. (Ezekiel 45:17)

I will also cause all her mirth to cease, Her feast days [chag, 02282], Her New Moons [chodesh, 02320], Her Sabbaths [shabbath, 07676]—All her appointed feasts [mow‘ed, 04150]. (Hosea 2:11)

The Sabbaths above are ceremonial Sabbaths and are different than the Seventh Day Sabbath

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The "Sabbaths" are plural where as the Seventh day Sabbath is not

Sometime ceremonial Sabbaths fall on Seventh day Sabbath

Context is very important also

Isaiah 66:22-23
King James Version

22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain.

23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord

Upvote 0

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The "Sabbaths" are plural where as the Seventh day Sabbath is not

Sometime ceremonial Sabbaths fall on Seventh day Sabbath

Context is very important also

Isaiah 66:22-23
King James Version

22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain.

23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord

You do not find "Sabbaths" in the New testements as Jesus Christ fulfilled the ceremonial laws at the cross

Thanks for the reply! When I've looked at various commentaries, they seem to be in agreement with each other that the "Sabbaths," when used in the passages above alongside "Feasts" and "New Moons," references the weekly Sabbaths. In the first three passages I listed, the order appears to be weekly, monthly, and annually. The order is reversed in the last two passages, but with "New Moons" still being in the middle, there appears to be an order here. Here are some commentaries on the passages:

So it seems they have a point that "Sabbaths" in the five passages above are about (if not at least include) the weekly Sabbaths. If you disagree with them, however, are there any verse(s) you'd use to show the "Sabbaths" (plural) are clearly referring to yearly sacrifices to the exclusion of weekly?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Shabbath=Shabbat. The 7th day of the week.
Mow'ed=A Holy Day(not always a feast day).
Chodesh=A new moon.
Chag=A feast or festival.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Romans 14:5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.

that is about fasting...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟131,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
that is about fasting...
Observing certain Jewish holy days includes fasting. But in that same chapter, among believers Paul strongly advocates for not drawing disputes on that issue either.

Romans 14:3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.​

• Winner
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Observing certain Jewish holy days includes fasting. But in that same chapter, among believers Paul strongly advocates for not drawing disputes on that issue either.

Romans 14:3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.​

That passage is specifically regarding fasting

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟131,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That passage is specifically regarding fasting
Romans 14 speaks about not quarreling over the following opinions:
  1. Whether to eat meat vs do not eat meat
  2. Whether to fast vs not fast.
  3. Whether to observe Holy Days vs do not observe Holy Days.
  4. Whether to drink wine vs do not drink wine (vs 21).
See a pattern? Paul does not want Christians to judge one another on those surface issues. Neither does he want them to cause others to stumble.

Read Acts 10 and Acts 15 for more information.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Romans 14 speaks about not quarreling over the following opinions:
  1. Whether to eat meat vs do not eat meat
  2. Whether to fast vs not fast.
  3. Whether to observe Holy Days vs do not observe Holy Days.
  4. Whether to drink wine vs do not drink wine (vs 21).
See a pattern? Paul does not want Christians to judge one another on those surface issues. Neither does he want them to cause others to stumble.

Read Acts 10 and Acts 15 for more information.

i have read it many times...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟131,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
move on to what...we were discussing Acts 14:3
Don't see Acts 14:3 in the thread. But as a Charismatic, signs and wonders are thrilling.

Acts 14:3 Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands
Paul condemns unbelievers in 2 Timothy 3:5:

2 Timothy 3:5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Don't see Acts 14:3 in the thread. But as a Charismatic, signs and wonders are thrilling.

Acts 14:3 Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands.
I am not of the company of unbelievers that Paul condemns in 2 Timothy 3:5:

2 Timothy 3:5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!​

Sorry, Romans 14:3...

Upvote 0