What are the requirements for doing Ministry with Calvary Chapel?

SamLovesJesus

May 7, 2019
California
✟8,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I am finally surrendering to God's call on my life to serve him in ministry. I am 29 years old and have spent many years trying to do things that I wasn't called for. I am very much considering to get into youth ministry as the Lord has put a burden on my heart for this coming generation. I just recently left a church due to disagreements on the issue of tongues and their use in the church. After doing much research on different denominations, I have found the Calvary Chapel to be closest to what I see as theologically sound. I read Chuck Smith's Charisma versus charismania including many other resources as well. And overall I find the CC's balanced approach to dealing with the holy spirit and it's gifts to be the most accurate. So I am seriously considering about joining a CC church and doing ministry with them. My question is, what exactly are the requirements to be a pastor at Calvary Chapel? I understand that they function more as a non-denominational church in their autonomy. But what do most usually look for? I know they have a college in Southern California, but is a theological degree typically required? I don't have a college degree, but I have had some experience with helping out at my previous church with the youth. So what would they be looking for exactly? Is it more relational where one would simply volunteer and spend a good amount of time at a church until they get hired, or is education a must for most? Any insights would be greatly helpful and appreciated!

food4thought

Loving truth
Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I am finally surrendering to God's call on my life to serve him in ministry. I am 29 years old and have spent many years trying to do things that I wasn't called for. I am very much considering to get into youth ministry as the Lord has put a burden on my heart for this coming generation. I just recently left a church due to disagreements on the issue of tongues and their use in the church. After doing much research on different denominations, I have found the Calvary Chapel to be closest to what I see as theologically sound. I read Chuck Smith's Charisma versus charismania including many other resources as well. And overall I find the CC's balanced approach to dealing with the holy spirit and it's gifts to be the most accurate. So I am seriously considering about joining a CC church and doing ministry with them. My question is, what exactly are the requirements to be a pastor at Calvary Chapel? I understand that they function more as a non-denominational church in their autonomy. But what do most usually look for? I know they have a college in Southern California, but is a theological degree typically required? I don't have a college degree, but I have had some experience with helping out at my previous church with the youth. So what would they be looking for exactly? Is it more relational where one would simply volunteer and spend a good amount of time at a church until they get hired, or is education a must for most? Any insights would be greatly helpful and appreciated!

Hi, Sam. I would find a local CC and simply ask the pastor. God bless you as you seek to serve Him!!!
Michael

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hi there are two paths to serving in Calvary one is to set a educational goals and go through their program the other is to start serving right where you are. Children's church and volunteering where ever you can is a good place to start. Often the best pastors started at the bottom and were raised up over time and learned submission and humility and sacrifice along the way. A pastor named Tommy Cota got saved was an ex gang banger and decided to volunteer at the church until he found a job. He kept volunteering after he got one and had matured quite a bit and then went through the program and is now a full time pastor. Others started home Bible studies and those grew into churches like Ron Wilkens.

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'd say call one and ask.
Keep in mind that there are now two groups which have different goals.
Calvary Chapel | The Current State of the Calvary Chapel Movement
Home - Calvary Chapel Association
CGN – Calvary Global Network

This apparently took place after Chuck's death.

This transition appears to be the result of Chuck's statement that whoever took over CCCM should find their own way, and not get stuck on Chuck's ways.

As for their "requirements", I'm going to say--- read the Calvary Chapel Distinctives.
It's a paperback which describes the "practices" of Calvary chapel.

https://calvarymillcreek.com/resources/PDF/Distinctives.pdf

This is a pdf version of the book.

Chuck appears to have written a letter before his passing, and it's been posted on the CCA page.

Updates - Calvary Chapel Association

An early book, which was updated 9 years ago.
http://calvarycca.org/wp-content/uploads/ReproducersEbook2013.pdf

Contact a local Calvary Chapel, and see what's needed.

Upvote 0