Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  • I already completed high school and 2 years of college (I can get an associates degree)
  • I have basic job experience
  • I have done volunteer work, and community work
So, what options are out there at this stage of life?

The only ones that come to mind are:

1. Work
2. Military or Governmental Careers (Police, Firefighter, etc)
3. Trade School
4. University

I can only think of 4 general directions I can go, I don't think there is anymore than 4 (If you can think of one that would be a challenge and I would be curious to know the 5th option.)

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can only think of 4 general directions I can go, I don't think there is anymore than 4 (If you can think of one that would be a challenge and I would be curious to know the 5th option.)
Are all of them equally available to you?

Upvote 0

HoneyBee

Prodigal Daughter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2017
West Coast
✟198,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I mean, I guess that would all be up to what you want to do with your life. All of these options sound good to me, seeing how they are all within your reach.

What are somethings that you aspire to do?

Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
  • I already completed high school and 2 years of college (I can get an associates degree)

1. Work
3. Trade School
4. University

Your decision should be based on what you want to be and do. We are called to different vocations in life.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I mean, I guess that would all be up to what you want to do with your life. All of these options sound good to me, seeing how they are all within your reach.

What are somethings that you aspire to do?

I am not too sure I do feel clueless and directionless. I think flying a helicopter would be enjoyable, but I don't know if its realistic like for example being a professional athlete.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Military service is easier when you are young. Now is a good time to join. It is a good personal experience and will look good on your resume. You will also be much more mature when you return to civilian life, and although you will still face education and career decisions the additional maturity will help there as well. You might be well advised to put off marriage until you have a good start in a stable career.

The military has a great financial aid program for college as well, so check it out.

My best advice is this however.

Young people are often swept along with their peer/age group and get in a hurry to 'make their mark', etc. This is a mistake. Take all the time you need to do things right and in their proper order. You have all the time in the world to order your life, build and execute a plan. Don't rush or allow anyone else to rush you. Patience and Prudence are your friends.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not too sure I do feel clueless and directionless. I think flying a helicopter would be enjoyable, but I don't know if its realistic like for example being a professional athlete.

If you have an itch to fly, do it. I took a lesson just for fun and wound up getting my Private Pilots Licence (PPL) years ago. I quit flying after about 100 hours of flight time as 'high and fast' didn't appeal to me. It was a great experience and I recommend everyone have a go at it. I'm 79 (in April) and I'll be learning to fly gyroplanes this summer as my love for flying 'low and slow' is still there.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I disagree about joining the military. I've had a grandfather and father that were both in the military, and they both said that is something they would not wish on their grandsons or sons. The military basically owns you when you join, and they don't mind putting you in harms way or making decisions for you at the expense of your wellbeing. And the benefits, such as they are, are always subject to political whims of politicians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I disagree about joining the military. I've had a grandfather and father that were both in the military, and they both said that is something they would not wish on their grandsons or sons. The military basically owns you when you join, and they don't mind putting you in harms way or making decisions for you at the expense of your wellbeing. And the benefits, such as they are, are always subject to political whims of politicians.

I had some bumps along the way as well but all in all I recommend it. It doesn't have to be the Army or Marines. The Air Force and Navy don't go into ground combat. Lots of good technical training available there as well.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

1. Work
3. Trade School
4. University

I would get at least an associates degree or learn a trade that is going to be around in a few years. Electronics skills, welding, AC repair, or plumbing are always in demand. Nursing is another good option.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want to fly helicopters, the Marines is the only branch that offers guaranteed pilot slots for officers.

But it is very competitive and entails an 8 year active duty commitment.

The Marines are the smallest of the four services with the smallest budget. You'll be flying older model helicopters on average. The Marines also has a unique culture that isn't for everyone. They expect everyone to be an infantryman first, so you will be spending time rotating through non-flying positions throughout your career.

The Army has by far the most helicopter pilots, since it has the majority of the US military's rotary wing aviation. There are two different ways to become an Army helicopter pilot: officer or warrant officer.

Aviation Officer:
There are no guaranteed Army Aviation officer slots. The best way to get a slot is to:
a) do ROTC while in college and graduate at the top of your program
-AND-
b) agree to incur an additional active duty service obligation (ADSO) in order to be assigned the branch of your choice (Aviation). I'm not sure if Aviation branch requires an aviation degree to do this.
-AND-
c) hope and pray the Army needs a lot of helicopter pilots that year​
Bottom line: If you can get a pilot slot, you are looking at 7-8 years of active duty. And there is no guarantee the Army will assign you as a pilot. Once you sign on the dotted line, you are subject to the "needs of the army." You may well end up as an infantry officer or chemical officer. You can always compete to transfer into Aviation at a later date (it's called Voluntary Transfer Incentive Program), but again, such transfers are subject to needs of the army.​

Flight Warrant:
The second route is to become a Warrant Officer. There's a program called "high school to flight school" where you can enlist with a WOCS and flight school contract, meaning you are guaranteed slots to Warrant Officer Candidate School and Flight School.

Unlike Army or Marine Corps officers that fly less and less as their career progresses (they must perform management and admin jobs that take them out of the cockpit), flight warrants have one basic job: fly. Again you are looking at ~7 year active duty commitment if you become a flight warrant.

You can also become a flight warrant by first enlisting in the Army, then before your enlistment is up, apply for WOCS. In this case, you'll be spending a couple years as a grunt. Since pilot is the goal, it makes sense to enlist in an aviation-related field, such as helicopter repairer.​

I don't mean to scare you or dissuade you. Just letting you know what you are in for if you decide to go that route.

Even if you don't want to be a pilot, there are a lot of great opportunities in other fields. Plenty of Logisticians end up making six figure salaries after they get out of the military doing things like supply chain management for Amazon and UPS.

If you stay in past initial entry, there's a plethora of opportunities, including special operations fields. One of the best kept secrets in the military is Army Foreign Service Officer. The government actually pays you to learn how to host cocktail parties for foreign dignitaries and be an international arms dealer (that's not a joke, the US sold $55.6 billion of foreign military sales in 2018).

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you want to fly helicopters, the Marines is the only branch that offers guaranteed pilot slots for officers.

But it is very competitive and entails an 8 year active duty commitment.

The Marines are the smallest of the four services with the smallest budget. You'll be flying older model helicopters on average. The Marines also has a unique culture that isn't for everyone. They expect everyone to be an infantryman first, so you will be spending time rotating through non-flying positions throughout your career.

The Army has by far the most helicopter pilots, since it has the majority of the US military's rotary wing aviation. There are two different ways to become an Army helicopter pilot: officer or warrant officer.

Aviation Officer:
There are no guaranteed Army Aviation officer slots. The best way to get a slot is to:
a) do ROTC while in college and graduate at the top of your program
-AND-
b) agree to incur an additional active duty service obligation (ADSO) in order to be assigned the branch of your choice (Aviation). I'm not sure if Aviation branch requires an aviation degree to do this.
-AND-
c) hope and pray the Army needs a lot of helicopter pilots that year​
Bottom line: If you can get a pilot slot, you are looking at 7-8 years of active duty. And there is no guarantee the Army will assign you as a pilot. Once you sign on the dotted line, you are subject to the "needs of the army." You may well end up as an infantry officer or chemical officer. You can always compete to transfer into Aviation at a later date (it's called Voluntary Transfer Incentive Program), but again, such transfers are subject to needs of the army.​

Flight Warrant:
The second route is to become a Warrant Officer. There's a program called "high school to flight school" where you can enlist with a WOCS and flight school contract, meaning you are guaranteed slots to Warrant Officer Candidate School and Flight School.

Unlike Army or Marine Corps officers that fly less and less as their career progresses (they must perform management and admin jobs that take them out of the cockpit), flight warrants have one basic job: fly. Again you are looking at ~7 year active duty commitment if you become a flight warrant.

You can also become a flight warrant by first enlisting in the Army, then before your enlistment is up, apply for WOCS. In this case, you'll be spending a couple years as a grunt. Since pilot is the goal, it makes sense to enlist in an aviation-related field, such as helicopter repairer.​

I don't mean to scare you or dissuade you. Just letting you know what you are in for if you decide to go that route.

Even if you don't want to be a pilot, there are a lot of great opportunities in other fields. Plenty of Logisticians end up making six figure salaries after they get out of the military doing things like supply chain management for Amazon and UPS.

If you stay in past initial entry, there's a plethora of opportunities, including special operations fields. One of the best kept secrets in the military is Army Foreign Service Officer. The government actually pays you to learn how to host cocktail parties for foreign dignitaries and be an international arms dealer (that's not a joke, the US sold $55.6 billion of foreign military sales in 2018).

Thank you for letting me know.

Just one thing, I turned 21 this year. I am glad that I haven't yet enlisted in the military before because I had a lot of growing to do in the past (mentally and emotionally). Now I am much more mature, intelligent, and in better shape, since I have been going to the gym since the start of high school.

I don't know or think I realize how much there is ahead of me.

I knew a guy who went into ROTC the moment college started at age 18, and now I have been just looking into it as an option (I always was looking at it, but was always unsure what to do).

I am just curious, is time running out for me, or did my life basically just start recently? I know I don't have all the time in the world, but at age 21 it seems time flies by so fast along with the world. I might be over-reacting, I just don't really don't want to waste my 20's like most people are doing or did.

From seeing how my generation is, looks terrifying. It is all true and remembered it during college how most people didn't take their life seriously at college, they would stay up late, eat terrible foods, get drunk in parties. Basically wasting themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for letting me know.

Just one thing, I turned 21 this year. I am glad that I haven't yet enlisted in the military before because I had a lot of growing to do in the past (mentally and emotionally). Now I am much more mature, intelligent, and in better shape, since I have been going to the gym since the start of high school.

I don't know or think I realize how much there is ahead of me.

I knew a guy who went into ROTC the moment college started at age 18, and now I have been just looking into it as an option (I always was looking at it, but was always unsure what to do).

I am just curious, is time running out for me, or did my life basically just start recently? I know I don't have all the time in the world, but at age 21 it seems time flies by so fast along with the world. I might be over-reacting, I just don't really don't want to waste my 20's like most people are doing or did.

From seeing how my generation is, looks terrifying. It is all true and remembered it during college how most people didn't take their life seriously at college, they would stay up late, eat terrible foods, get drunk in parties. Basically wasting themselves.
You have your whole life ahead of you. Enjoy being young while you can. It only gets more stressful from here.

And take your time making decisions. The worst thing you can do is make a hasty decision because you felt pressure to do something. It's easy to make a bad decision. It's not easy to get out of the consequences of making a bad decision.

Personally, I think people should focus on cultivating what they are good at, which they can make a decent living doing. True, money doesn't equate to happiness, but it is a whole lot less stressful when you aren't worrying about how to pay the bills and provide for your family.

Example: if you are good at woodworking, consider doing something like custom furniture making or finish carpentry. If you want to up your game, get a degree in something like business administration or marketing and use that to run your own custom furniture or carpentry business. Or get an engineering degree and use that to design better woodworking tools.

So, what are you good at that you can use to make money? From there, it's all up to your own initiative, hard work, and imagination.

If you don't know, then take some time to figure it out. Possibly in the military. Possibly in the peace corps. Possibly somewhere else.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0