What are the most in-depth books on Spiritual Gifts? why?

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For in "depth-ness", read the Bible as a whole, not just certain books. When you read Corinthians alone over and over and over looking for discernment in that particular area, you end up with a skewed perspective, notorious to some churches. You have to understand, that the spiritual gifts weren't limited to just one book within scriptures. There were many instances of the Holy Spirit at work...a practical display of those gifts, if you will.

The question, which I believe is more relevant...why do you ask?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
None of the gifts are better than Life in Jesus.

But, they do help us serve others in the Body of Christ.

I am interested in exegetical and historical books on the topic.

As for why? why not? it is always better to learn how to serve others better.

Thanks All,
Daniel

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am interested in exegetical and historical books on the topic.

The works of those who actually operated in the gifts are preferable over those who simply write about them. That having been said, Wigglesworth can be tough to read sometimes. He kind of invented his own language, i.e. his own way of communicating, so while it's in English it's often not very easy to sort out.

But works from those associated with the Azusa St. revival or with Wigglesworth himself are good. Two that come to mind for me are:
Frank Bartleman's Azusa Street, by Roberts Lairdon, and
Smith Wigglesworth: The Secret of His Power, by Albert Hibbert

But these aren't definitive works on all the gifts by any means. Another thing you have to keep in mind is that most people only operate in a few gifts at best, so I'm not sure if you would even be able to find anything authoritative on all them in a single volume. If you wanted to know about deliverance then you would need to read stuff by Derek Prince or Winn Worley. For good teaching on prophecy I would recommend reading Rick Joyner. For other gifts you'd have to seek out those who have real authority in each one.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The works of those who actually operated in the gifts are preferable over those who simply write about them. That having been said, Wigglesworth can be tough to read sometimes. He kind of invented his own language, i.e. his own way of communicating, so while it's in English it's often not very easy to sort out.

But works from those associated with the Azusa St. revival or with Wigglesworth himself are good. Two that come to mind for me are:
Frank Bartleman's Azusa Street, by Roberts Lairdon, and
Smith Wigglesworth: The Secret of His Power, by Albert Hibbert

But these aren't definitive works on all the gifts by any means. Another thing you have to keep in mind is that most people only operate in a few gifts at best, so I'm not sure if you would even be able to find anything authoritative on all them in a single volume. If you wanted to know about deliverance then you would need to read stuff by Derek Prince or Winn Worley. For good teaching on prophecy I would recommend reading Rick Joyner. For other gifts you'd have to seek out those who have real authority in each one.

I found those to be boring because of poor exegesis. In fact, there is not much difference between their testimonies and those in Christian Science. You may want to compare their writings sometime.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found those to be boring because of poor exegesis. In fact, there is not much difference between their testimonies and those in Christian Science. You may want to compare their writings sometime.

Ha Ha! Ok, I may do that, LoL. But then in the last 30 years of walking with Him and seeking Him, the Lord has never led me to study Christian Science; whereas He has led me to study the works of the above authors.

Is there anything else you wish to add? :)

Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Empowering-Presence-Spirit-Letters/dp/0801046211

It is the most thurough and deep work on pneumatology from a Charasmatic perspective. This is not for the faint of heart. Fee is an academic, and although this is a popular work it reads like a textbook.

https://www.amazon.com/Surprised-Po...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Focused on a former Dallas Theological Seminary OT Professor who was a cessationist until he started experiencing the gifts. After reexaminging the issue (and being fired by DTS as they have a police prohibiting the gifts) he shares how God used him with certain gifts such as words of knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/Theology-Hol...VNK_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517932778&sr=1-4

Deep exegesis focuses on the Pentacostle movement in the US. Came out a couple decades ago. It is scholarly and avoids the invective and rhetorical flourish of guys like John MacArthur and his unfortunate "Srangefire" strawman.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ha Ha! Ok, I may do that, LoL. But then in the last 30 years of walking with Him and seeking Him, the Lord has never led me to study Christian Science; whereas He has led me to study the works of the above authors.

Is there anything else you wish to add? :)

You may be surprised to find out that some in Christian Science study those same authors and do not see any difference between healing in either group. In fact, Mary Baker Eddy claims that she was healed just by reading the Gospels.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Empowering-Presence-Spirit-Letters/dp/0801046211

It is the most thurough and deep work on pneumatology from a Charasmatic perspective. This is not for the faint of heart. Fee is an academic, and although this is a popular work it reads like a textbook.

https://www.amazon.com/Surprised-Po...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Focused on a former Dallas Theological Seminary OT Professor who was a cessationist until he started experiencing the gifts. After reexaminging the issue (and being fired by DTS as they have a police prohibiting the gifts) he shares how God used him with certain gifts such as words of knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/Theology-Hol...VNK_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517932778&sr=1-4

Deep exegesis focuses on the Pentacostle movement in the US. Came out a couple decades ago. It is scholarly and avoids the invective and rhetorical flourish of guys like John MacArthur and his unfortunate "Srangefire" strawman.

Thank You,
Daniel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may be surprised to find out that some in Christian Science study those same authors and do not see any difference between healing in either group.

Okie doki, but you'll have to forgive me for having no interest in or leading to study Christian Science writers. If you were to provide me quotes in context from any of the sources I named showing they supported the doctrines of Christian Science, that would be interesting. Otherwise, I would just regard it as a bait and switch tactic the enemy uses to discredit the faithful (not that you are. I'm simply saying it wouldn't surprise me for the enemy to commandeer the truth for his own purposes. It's a strategy Satan is well-versed in).
In fact, Mary Baker Eddy claims that she was healed just by reading the Gospels.

Maybe she did. Not sure I'm following your point. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The following commentaries, which are in order of author and then date should prove to be of assistance to you. The vast majority of these books would be acceptable for an accredited Masters or Doctoral dissertation. I appreciate that you will need to able to access a Christian University or College library for the list to be of any value.

1. Aune, D. E. (1983). Prophecy in Early Christianity and the Mediterranean World [till pg.79], William B. Eerdmans Publishing.

2. Basham, D. (1974). The Miracle of Tongues, Fleming H. Revell.

3. Bennett, R. (1984). How to Pray for Inner Healing, Kingsway Publications.

4. Bittlinger, A. (1967). Gifts and Graces: A Commentary on 1 Corinthians 12-14. M. Harper, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co: 126.

5. Blue, K. (1987). Authority to Heal, InterVarsity Press: 168.

5. Booth, G. W. (1902). Faith Healing: A Memorandum. London, International Headquarters of The Salvation Army.

6. Bridge, D. and D. Phypers (1973). Spiritual Gifts and the Church. London, INTER-VARSITY PRESS: 189.

7. Bryant, C. V. (1986). Spiritual Gifts, Upper Room Books: 188.

8. Bullinger, E. W. (1979). The Giver and His Gifts, Kregel.

9. Cartledge, M. J. (2006). Speaking in Tongues: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives (Intro, 1, 5), Wipf and Stock Publishers: 262.

10. Carson, D. A. (1988). Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14, Lancer.

11. Cartledge, M. (2015). The Mediation of the Spirit: Interventions in Practical Theology, William B. Eerdmans: 154.

12. Chant, B. (1993). Spiritual gifts : a reappraisal : a biblical and practical handbook. Miranda, N.S.W., Tabor College.

13. Coleman, S. (2000). The Globalization of Charismatic Christianity (Prosperity gospel), Cambridge University Press.

14. Cooke, B. (2004). Power and the Spirit of God: Toward an Experience Based Pneumatology.pdf>, Oxford University Press.

15. Cooley, B. F. (1852). An Exposition and Explanation of the Modern Phenomena called Spirit Manifestation. Springfield, MASS, William Colomy, Wentworth Press: 93.

16. Cruz, N. (1968). Run Baby Run. Hodder and Staughton.

17. Dayton, D. W. (1987). Theological Roots of Pentecostalism, Hendrickson.

18. Deininger, M. (2014). Global Pentecostalism-An Enquiry into the Globalization, Anchor Academic Publishing, Imprint der Diplomica Verlag GmbH: 105.

19. Donald E. Miller, T. Y. (2007). Global Pentecostalism. T. Y. Donald E. Miller: 274.

20. Dunn, J. D. G. (1970). Baptism in the Holy Spirit: a re-examination of the New Testament teaching on the gift of the Spirit in relation to pentecostalism today, A. R. Allenson, 1970. 15: 248.

21. Dunn, J. D. G. (1975). Jesus and the Spirit, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing: 527.

22. Dunn, J. D. G. (1995). 1 Corinthians.pdf, A&C Black: 118

23. Edwards, L. (1988). Discerning your Spiritual Gifts. Cambridge, Cowley Publications: 156.

23. Ervin, H. M. (1984). Conversion-Initiation and the Baptism in the HS: A critique of James D. G. Dunn, Baptism in the Holy Spirit (Partial), Hendrickson Publishers.

24. Fee, G. D. (1979). The disease of the health & wealth gospels. Costa Mesa, Calif., The Word For Today: 22 p.

25. Fee, G. D. (1991). Gospel and Spirit: Issues in New Testament Hermeneutics, Hendrickson Publishers, Inc.

26. Fee, G. D. (1993). New Testament exegesis: a handbook for students and pastors. Leominster, England

27. Blank.

28. Fee, G. D. (1994). God's empowering presence : the Holy Spirit in the letters of Paul. Peabody, Mass., Hendrickson Publishers: xxiv, 967 p.

29. Fee, G. D. (1996). Paul, the Spirit and the People of God, Hendrickson: 228.

30. Fee, G. D. (2000). Listening to the spirit in the text. Grand Rapids, Mich., W.B. Eerdmans: ix, 180 p.

31. Fee, G. D. (2014). First Epistle to the Corinthians (2nd Edit), Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing: 982.

32. Garland, D. E. (2003). 1 Corinthians, Baker Academic: 896.

33. Godbey, W. B. (1895). Spiritual Gifts and Graces. Cincinnati, Oh, M. W. Knapp: 90.

33. Graves, R. (2017). Praying in the Spirit, 2nd Edition. Tylsa, Empowered Life.

34. Grudem, W. (1988). The Gift of Prophecy, Kingsway Publications.

35. Grudem, W. (1999). Bible Doctrine, Inter-Varsity Press: 448.

36. Grudem, W. (2006). Are Miraculous Gifts for Today (Gaffin & Replies), Zondervan: 368.

37. Gunstone, J. (1989). Signs & Wonders: The Wimber Phenomenon, Daybreak; Courier International.

38. Hovenden, G. (2002). Speaking in Tongues: The New Testament Evidence in Context. Journal of Pentecostal Theology Supplement, A&C Black.

39. Hunter, C. H., Frances (1991). How to Receive and Maintain your Healing, Hunter Books.

40. Ireland, D. (1997). Activating the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, Whitaker House: 224.

41. Keener, C. S. (1996). 3 Crucial Questions about the Holy Spirit.

42. Keener, C. S. (1997). The Spirit in the Gospels and Acts, Hendrickson, Baker: 304.

43. Keener, C. S. (2001). Gift & Giver: The Holy Spirit for Today, Baker Academic: 224.

44. Keener, C. S. (2016). Spirit Hermeneutics~Reading Scripture in Light of Pentecost.

45. Lacy, J. and E. Irving (1713). The General Delusion of Christians [Rev. The spirit of prophecy defended]. E. N. a. p. Irving. Boston, Seeley and W. Burnside, London, Brill Academic Publishers, Boston: lix, 521 p.

46. Land, S. J. (1993). Pentecostal Spirituality (1), Sheffield Academic Press.

47. Levering, M. (2016). Engaging the Doctrine of the Holy Spirit: Love and Gift in the Trinity and the Church (H) (Intro). 2016, Baker Publishing Group.

48. Levison, J. (2013). Inpired, The Holy Spirit and the Mind of Faith, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company: 226.

49. Lim, D. (1991). Spiritual Gifts, Gospel Publishing House.

50. McGee, G. B. (2008). Initial Evidence (Intro, 7, 8, 9, 11), Wipf and Stock Publishers: 266.

51. McIntosh, G. (2017). "Origin of Spiritual Gifts Profiles." from Origin of Spiritual Gifts Profiles.

52. Menzies, R. P. (1991). The Development of Early Christ Pneumatology, The University of Michigan: 375.

53. Metaxas, E. (2014). Miracles: What they are, why they happen, and how they can change your life, Dutton, a Penguin House Company.

54. Mills, W. E. (1986). Speaking in Tongues: A Guide to Research on Glossolalia, William E Eerdmans.

55. Owen, J. (1852). The Works of John Owen [Spiritual Gifts]. New York, Robert Carter & Brothers: 520.

56. Paget, F. (1881). Concerning Spiritual Gifts: Three Addresses spoken to the Candidates for Holy Orders in the Diocese of Ely. Oxford, Parker and Co, Leopold Classic Library, Ulan Press, Kessinger Publishing, Facsimile Publisher: 92.,

57. Pinnock, C. H. (1996). Flame of Love: A Theology of the Holy Spirit (5). Illinois, InterVarsity Press: 289.

58. Potts, J. (2009). A History of Charisma, Springer: 265.

59. Price, C. S. (1972). And Signs Followed: The Story of Charles S. Price, Logos International.

60. Blank.

61. Ruthven, J. M. (2011). On the Cessation of the Charismata, Word & Spirit Press: 340.

62. Simson, E. (1977). The Faith Healer: Deliverance Evangelism in North America, Concordia Publishing House.

63. Smietana, B. (2017). "The 'Prophets' and 'Apostles' Leading the Quiet Revolution in American Religion ". from The 'Prophets' and 'Apostles' Leading the Quiet Revolution in American Religion.

64. Stanton, G. N., et al. (2004). ESSAYS for DUNN.:The Holy Spirit and Christian Origins (Intro, 17, Biblio), William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

65. Stibbe, M. W. G. (1997). Know Your Spiritual Gifts: How to Minister in the Power of the Spirit, Zondervan: 224.

66. Storms, S. (2002). The Beginner's Guide to Spiritual Gifts (Intro, ). W. Grudem, Zondervan: 368.

67. Stuhlmueller, C. (1996). The Collegeville Pastoral Dictionary of Biblical Theology (Tongues), Eagles Evangelism Inc.

68. Tabbernee, W. (2007). Fake prophecy and polluted sacraments : ecclesiastical and imperial reactions to Montanism. Supplements to Vigiliae Christianae. Leiden ; Boston, Brill: xxxvii, 485 p.

69. Thiselton, A. C. (1964). "THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE LATIN FATHERS 1Cor 12." Atlas Serials: 19.

70. Thiselton, A. C. (2013). The Holy Spirit ~ In Biblical teaching, William B. Eerdmans.

71. Thiselton, A. C. (2016). A Shorter Guide to the Holy Spirit, William B. Eerdman Publishing: 240.

72. Turner, M. (2000). Power from on Hight: The Spirit in Israel’s Restoration and Witness in Luke-Acts (Partial). Oregon, WIPF & STOCK 9.

73. Turner, M. (2005). "Spirit and Power: Foundations of Pentecostal experience." 2.

74. Walker, D. (1906). The Gift of Tongues and Other Essays. Edinburgh, T & T Clark: 80.

75. Welker, M. (2006). The Work of the Spirit: Pneumatology and Pentecostalism, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company: 236.

76. Wigglesworth (1998). Spiritual Gifts, Whitaker House: 223.

77. Williams, C. G. (1981). Tongues of the Spirit: A Study of Pentecostal Glossolalia and Related Phenomena, University of Wales Press: 276.

78. Wimber, J. (1985). Power Evangelism: Signs and Wonders Today, Hodder and Staughton.

79. Wire, A. C. (1990). The Corinthian Women Prophets (12,13,14), Augsburg Fortress.: 326.

80. Wotherspoon, H. J. (1916). The Ministry n the Church: In relation to Prophecy and Spiritual Gifts. London, Longmans, Green and Co: 228.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following commentaries, which are in order of author and then date should prove to be of assistance to you. The vast majority of these books would be acceptable for an accredited Masters or Doctoral dissertation. I appreciate that you will need to able to access a Christian University or College library for the list to be of any value.

1. Aune, D. E. (1983). Prophecy in Early Christianity and the Mediterranean World [till pg.79], William B. Eerdmans Publishing.

2. Basham, D. (1974). The Miracle of Tongues, Fleming H. Revell.

3. Bennett, R. (1984). How to Pray for Inner Healing, Kingsway Publications.

4. Bittlinger, A. (1967). Gifts and Graces: A Commentary on 1 Corinthians 12-14. M. Harper, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co: 126.

5. Blue, K. (1987). Authority to Heal, InterVarsity Press: 168.

5. Booth, G. W. (1902). Faith Healing: A Memorandum. London, International Headquarters of The Salvation Army.

6. Bridge, D. and D. Phypers (1973). Spiritual Gifts and the Church. London, INTER-VARSITY PRESS: 189.

7. Bryant, C. V. (1986). Spiritual Gifts, Upper Room Books: 188.

8. Bullinger, E. W. (1979). The Giver and His Gifts, Kregel.

9. Cartledge, M. J. (2006). Speaking in Tongues: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives (Intro, 1, 5), Wipf and Stock Publishers: 262.

10. Carson, D. A. (1988). Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14, Lancer.

11. Cartledge, M. (2015). The Mediation of the Spirit: Interventions in Practical Theology, William B. Eerdmans: 154.

12. Chant, B. (1993). Spiritual gifts : a reappraisal : a biblical and practical handbook. Miranda, N.S.W., Tabor College.

13. Coleman, S. (2000). The Globalization of Charismatic Christianity (Prosperity gospel), Cambridge University Press.

14. Cooke, B. (2004). Power and the Spirit of God: Toward an Experience Based Pneumatology.pdf>, Oxford University Press.

15. Cooley, B. F. (1852). An Exposition and Explanation of the Modern Phenomena called Spirit Manifestation. Springfield, MASS, William Colomy, Wentworth Press: 93.

16. Cruz, N. (1968). Run Baby Run. Hodder and Staughton.

17. Dayton, D. W. (1987). Theological Roots of Pentecostalism, Hendrickson.

18. Deininger, M. (2014). Global Pentecostalism-An Enquiry into the Globalization, Anchor Academic Publishing, Imprint der Diplomica Verlag GmbH: 105.

19. Donald E. Miller, T. Y. (2007). Global Pentecostalism. T. Y. Donald E. Miller: 274.

20. Dunn, J. D. G. (1970). Baptism in the Holy Spirit: a re-examination of the New Testament teaching on the gift of the Spirit in relation to pentecostalism today, A. R. Allenson, 1970. 15: 248.

21. Dunn, J. D. G. (1975). Jesus and the Spirit, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing: 527.

22. Dunn, J. D. G. (1995). 1 Corinthians.pdf, A&C Black: 118

23. Edwards, L. (1988). Discerning your Spiritual Gifts. Cambridge, Cowley Publications: 156.

23. Ervin, H. M. (1984). Conversion-Initiation and the Baptism in the HS: A critique of James D. G. Dunn, Baptism in the Holy Spirit (Partial), Hendrickson Publishers.

24. Fee, G. D. (1979). The disease of the health & wealth gospels. Costa Mesa, Calif., The Word For Today: 22 p.

25. Fee, G. D. (1991). Gospel and Spirit: Issues in New Testament Hermeneutics, Hendrickson Publishers, Inc.

26. Fee, G. D. (1993). New Testament exegesis: a handbook for students and pastors. Leominster, England

27. Blank.

28. Fee, G. D. (1994). God's empowering presence : the Holy Spirit in the letters of Paul. Peabody, Mass., Hendrickson Publishers: xxiv, 967 p.

29. Fee, G. D. (1996). Paul, the Spirit and the People of God, Hendrickson: 228.

30. Fee, G. D. (2000). Listening to the spirit in the text. Grand Rapids, Mich., W.B. Eerdmans: ix, 180 p.

31. Fee, G. D. (2014). First Epistle to the Corinthians (2nd Edit), Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing: 982.

32. Garland, D. E. (2003). 1 Corinthians, Baker Academic: 896.

33. Godbey, W. B. (1895). Spiritual Gifts and Graces. Cincinnati, Oh, M. W. Knapp: 90.

33. Graves, R. (2017). Praying in the Spirit, 2nd Edition. Tylsa, Empowered Life.

34. Grudem, W. (1988). The Gift of Prophecy, Kingsway Publications.

35. Grudem, W. (1999). Bible Doctrine, Inter-Varsity Press: 448.

36. Grudem, W. (2006). Are Miraculous Gifts for Today (Gaffin & Replies), Zondervan: 368.

37. Gunstone, J. (1989). Signs & Wonders: The Wimber Phenomenon, Daybreak; Courier International.

38. Hovenden, G. (2002). Speaking in Tongues: The New Testament Evidence in Context. Journal of Pentecostal Theology Supplement, A&C Black.

39. Hunter, C. H., Frances (1991). How to Receive and Maintain your Healing, Hunter Books.

40. Ireland, D. (1997). Activating the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, Whitaker House: 224.

41. Keener, C. S. (1996). 3 Crucial Questions about the Holy Spirit.

42. Keener, C. S. (1997). The Spirit in the Gospels and Acts, Hendrickson, Baker: 304.

43. Keener, C. S. (2001). Gift & Giver: The Holy Spirit for Today, Baker Academic: 224.

44. Keener, C. S. (2016). Spirit Hermeneutics~Reading Scripture in Light of Pentecost.

45. Lacy, J. and E. Irving (1713). The General Delusion of Christians [Rev. The spirit of prophecy defended]. E. N. a. p. Irving. Boston, Seeley and W. Burnside, London, Brill Academic Publishers, Boston: lix, 521 p.

46. Land, S. J. (1993). Pentecostal Spirituality (1), Sheffield Academic Press.

47. Levering, M. (2016). Engaging the Doctrine of the Holy Spirit: Love and Gift in the Trinity and the Church (H) (Intro). 2016, Baker Publishing Group.

48. Levison, J. (2013). Inpired, The Holy Spirit and the Mind of Faith, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company: 226.

49. Lim, D. (1991). Spiritual Gifts, Gospel Publishing House.

50. McGee, G. B. (2008). Initial Evidence (Intro, 7, 8, 9, 11), Wipf and Stock Publishers: 266.

51. McIntosh, G. (2017). "Origin of Spiritual Gifts Profiles." from Origin of Spiritual Gifts Profiles.

52. Menzies, R. P. (1991). The Development of Early Christ Pneumatology, The University of Michigan: 375.

53. Metaxas, E. (2014). Miracles: What they are, why they happen, and how they can change your life, Dutton, a Penguin House Company.

54. Mills, W. E. (1986). Speaking in Tongues: A Guide to Research on Glossolalia, William E Eerdmans.

55. Owen, J. (1852). The Works of John Owen [Spiritual Gifts]. New York, Robert Carter & Brothers: 520.

56. Paget, F. (1881). Concerning Spiritual Gifts: Three Addresses spoken to the Candidates for Holy Orders in the Diocese of Ely. Oxford, Parker and Co, Leopold Classic Library, Ulan Press, Kessinger Publishing, Facsimile Publisher: 92.,

57. Pinnock, C. H. (1996). Flame of Love: A Theology of the Holy Spirit (5). Illinois, InterVarsity Press: 289.

58. Potts, J. (2009). A History of Charisma, Springer: 265.

59. Price, C. S. (1972). And Signs Followed: The Story of Charles S. Price, Logos International.

60. Blank.

61. Ruthven, J. M. (2011). On the Cessation of the Charismata, Word & Spirit Press: 340.

62. Simson, E. (1977). The Faith Healer: Deliverance Evangelism in North America, Concordia Publishing House.

63. Smietana, B. (2017). "The 'Prophets' and 'Apostles' Leading the Quiet Revolution in American Religion ". from The 'Prophets' and 'Apostles' Leading the Quiet Revolution in American Religion.

64. Stanton, G. N., et al. (2004). ESSAYS for DUNN.:The Holy Spirit and Christian Origins (Intro, 17, Biblio), William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

65. Stibbe, M. W. G. (1997). Know Your Spiritual Gifts: How to Minister in the Power of the Spirit, Zondervan: 224.

66. Storms, S. (2002). The Beginner's Guide to Spiritual Gifts (Intro, ). W. Grudem, Zondervan: 368.

67. Stuhlmueller, C. (1996). The Collegeville Pastoral Dictionary of Biblical Theology (Tongues), Eagles Evangelism Inc.

68. Tabbernee, W. (2007). Fake prophecy and polluted sacraments : ecclesiastical and imperial reactions to Montanism. Supplements to Vigiliae Christianae. Leiden ; Boston, Brill: xxxvii, 485 p.

69. Thiselton, A. C. (1964). "THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE LATIN FATHERS 1Cor 12." Atlas Serials: 19.

70. Thiselton, A. C. (2013). The Holy Spirit ~ In Biblical teaching, William B. Eerdmans.

71. Thiselton, A. C. (2016). A Shorter Guide to the Holy Spirit, William B. Eerdman Publishing: 240.

72. Turner, M. (2000). Power from on Hight: The Spirit in Israel’s Restoration and Witness in Luke-Acts (Partial). Oregon, WIPF & STOCK 9.

73. Turner, M. (2005). "Spirit and Power: Foundations of Pentecostal experience." 2.

74. Walker, D. (1906). The Gift of Tongues and Other Essays. Edinburgh, T & T Clark: 80.

75. Welker, M. (2006). The Work of the Spirit: Pneumatology and Pentecostalism, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company: 236.

76. Wigglesworth (1998). Spiritual Gifts, Whitaker House: 223.

77. Williams, C. G. (1981). Tongues of the Spirit: A Study of Pentecostal Glossolalia and Related Phenomena, University of Wales Press: 276.

78. Wimber, J. (1985). Power Evangelism: Signs and Wonders Today, Hodder and Staughton.

79. Wire, A. C. (1990). The Corinthian Women Prophets (12,13,14), Augsburg Fortress.: 326.

80. Wotherspoon, H. J. (1916). The Ministry n the Church: In relation to Prophecy and Spiritual Gifts. London, Longmans, Green and Co: 228.

Impressive list. I didn't know Bullinger wrote a work on the gifts. No surprise, though.

I'd be curious to know what all on that list is any good. Is there anything there you recommend specifically?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Impressive list. I didn't know Bullinger wrote a work on the gifts. No surprise, though.
With regard to Bullinger, as he was an influential individual within certain circles (died 1913) then his views on the important Pneumatic passages within First Corinthians certainly carry a degree of weight; be they accommodating to contemporary Full Gospel thought, begrudgingly accepting or even openly antagonistic. Of course, the same applies to other scholars of earlier times and of our own time period as well.

I'd be curious to know what all on that list is any good. Is there anything there you recommend specifically?
When I started to compile this, dare I say, rather brief list of commentary that I have stored within my EndNote program that addresses the ministry of the Holy Spirit, I was conscious of the fact that the various authors were addressing his ministry from within both a broad framework and also with very specific aspects of his work and not only from within a Pentecostal-Charismatic paradigm but also by authors who consider themselves to be “open-but-cautious” and even some who would consider themselves to be within the cessationist camp.

If we consider the historical understanding of the ministry of the Holy Spirit from say the 1700’s -1800’s, I have only included about five books of about 80 commentaries that I have from this time period but as they can be downloaded (all?) from www.openlibrary.org this means that those of us who have an interest with the thoughts and understandings of the various scholars of this time period then this material can often reveal many intelligent insights by these authors; this type of study can provide us with a better understanding of the thinking of the better scholars of the time period – and they can certainly be insightful. John Lacey’s commentary (1713) is quite amazing where he rebukes many of his peers for being dismissive or even ignorant of the role of the Holy Spirit.

During the later part of the 20th century and into the beginnings of this century, we have various commentators such as the vitally important Anthony C. Thiselton, who is neither a cessationist or a Continuist where he is among those who are deemed to be “open-but-cautious” when it comes to various aspects of the work of the Holy Spirit.

Back in 1970, the English Evangelical James D. G. Dunn produced what could very well be the Commentary that changed the face of the Evangelical world when it came to the Pentecostal/Charismatic understanding of the ministry of the Spirit. He also greatly challenged classic-Pentecostals with their understanding of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, in fact, he shook these classic-Pentecostals to their very core; I should maybe say us as I used to be a classic-Pentecostal as well but now I’m a non-classic Pentecostal.

Then there are scholars in this list (with some serious omissions on my part) such as Aune, Carson, Cartledge, Fee, Grudem, Keener, Land, Menzies, Pinnock and Turner who have each had a major impact on not only their own Denominational systems but to the broader church as well.

So, as to my recommendations as to which are the best books, this will depend on each individuals interests and even with their level of education and prior exposure to scholarly material.

About the best advice that I could maybe offer, is to suggest that individuals track down the Christian University and College libraries that offer membership to non-students, or who even allow the public to view their resources at no cost, providing that they digest the material within the library. Here in Melbourne, Australia we currently have 13 accessible Christian University and College libraries but I realise that many people may reside within rather remote communities.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I started to compile this, dare I say, rather brief list of commentary that I have stored within my EndNote program that addresses the ministry of the Holy Spirit, I was conscious of the fact that the various authors were addressing his ministry from within both a broad framework and also with very specific aspects of his work and not only from within a Pentecostal-Charismatic paradigm but also by authors who consider themselves to be “open-but-cautious” and even some who would consider themselves to be within the cessationist camp.

Yes. I suppose that's why I was asking. :)
Back in 1970, the English Evangelical James D. G. Dunn produced what could very well be the Commentary that changed the face of the Evangelical world when it came to the Pentecostal/Charismatic understanding of the ministry of the Spirit. He also greatly challenged classic-Pentecostals with their understanding of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, in fact, he shook these classic-Pentecostals to their very core; I should maybe say us as I used to be a classic-Pentecostal as well but now I’m a non-classic Pentecostal.

Define non-classical Pentecostal.
So, as to my recommendations as to which are the best books, this will depend on each individuals interests and even with their level of education and prior exposure to scholarly material.

As stated in my earlier response, I'm not much for theoretical analysis. I regard the opinions of those who speak from experience as carrying more weight than those who merely present an argument "from scripture" yet have little to show in the way of actual practice.

I am, however, greatly interested in exacting analysis of the original language, and have no problems with higher scholarship.
About the best advice that I could maybe offer, is to suggest that individuals track down the Christian University and College libraries that offer membership to non-students, or who even allow the public to view their resources at no cost, providing that they digest the material within the library. Here in Melbourne, Australia we currently have 13 accessible Christian University and College libraries but I realise that many people may reside within rather remote communities.

This is why I'm bothering you. Thanks for your time, btw. I have no access to Christian libraries in my area. The closest seminary is two and a half hours away, and conservative Baptist. So I have always been limited to what was actually in print, and even then I have rarely placed a great deal of confidence in owning the few works I've seen available for purchase.

One of the best pieces of scholarly analysis I've seen was actually something posted by a member here named @Hillsage. I'd have to contact him again to find it, but it was a piece on the delineation between how δωρεά is used in comparison with δῶρον to prove that believers can walk in multiple gifts but are given one in particular as their specific area of expertise.

Don't take too much of your time here if it is limited. It's not an area I am really into studying right now anyway. But I did find your list impressive, and I'd be curious to know what you regard to be the difference between classical and non-classical Pentecostalism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Define non-classical Pentecostal.
The historical understanding of the reception of the Holy Spirit by Pentecostals has been that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is subsequent to our initial Salvation (this is the subsequence position), where it is generally understood that the new Believer first receives the Spirit as a form of downpayment, then moments, hours, days or even years later they then receive the Baptism with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

Since the Charismatic Renewal of the 60’s and 70’s, where most Charismatics accepted this particular understanding, the Charismatic movement has in most part moved on from this old understanding where most would recognise that each and every Believer receives the Baptism of the Holy Spirit the moment that they are Born Again, (this is the soteriological position) though they will generally acknowledge that they could speak in tongues if they so desired.

The reason that I cannot call myself a Charismatic is that I still make a strong connection between the Salvific act (our moment of Salvation) with tongues, though I reject outright that a Believer has to speak in tongues before they can be deemed to have received the Holy Spirit; I still view the Biblical evidence as informing us that every Believer should be taught that they can pray in the Spirit (tongues) the moment that they are Born Again.

One of the best pieces of scholarly analysis I've seen was actually something posted by a member here named @Hillsage. I'd have to contact him again to find it, but it was a piece on the delineation between how δωρεά is used in comparison with δῶρον to prove that believers can walk in multiple gifts but are given one in particular as their specific area of expertise.
Possibly the best technical text on the Biblical use of the Greek words that the various translators have rendered into gifts can be found in the TDNT, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, either in the full version or the abridged edition - I would recommend that every serious student of the Scriptures obtains this Dictionary and the key words are;
  • πνευματικός pneumatikos
  • δόμα doma
  • δῶρον doron
  • ἀνάθημα anathema
  • χάρισμα charisma
  • μερισμός merismos
I have provided a PDF sample of how the Greek word pneumatikos can be analysed using a program such as BibleWorks along with a few commentaries. I am more than happy to continue with any technical discussion on this subject if you so desire.

Edit: Changed book to best.

Attachments

• Pneumatikos - 1 Cor 12_1.pdf
    436.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I've got a really good book about Spiritual gifts,that goes in depth of finding out
what they are and how they affect your personality.
Let me take a guess, would that be the Holy Bible?
Of all the superb specialist books and commentaries that I own, I still feel that reading the Bible, particularly Acts 2, Rom 12, 1 Cor 12, 13 & 14 along with Eph 4 and James 5 that a careful and thoughtful perusal of these passages should in theory be enough to understand what is happening.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Possibly the best technical text on the Biblical use of the Greek words that the various translators have rendered into gifts can be found in the TDNT, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, either in the full version or the abridged edition - I would recommend that every serious student of the Scriptures obtains this Dictionary and the key words are;
  • πνευματικός pneumatikos
  • δόμα doma
  • δῶρον doron
  • ἀνάθημα anathema
  • χάρισμα charisma
  • μερισμός merismos

Alright, I appreciate that. I own the full TDNT, so I will take that under consideration next time I'm looking into it. Thanks.
I have provided a PDF sample of how the Greek word pneumatikos can be analysed using a program such as BibleWorks along with a few commentaries. I am more than happy to continue with any technical discussion on this subject if you so desire.

Like I said, not something I'm into atm, but your offer is very kind.
The historical understanding of the reception of the Holy Spirit by Pentecostals has been that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is subsequent to our initial Salvation (this is the subsequence position), where it is generally understood that the new Believer first receives the Spirit as a form of downpayment, then moments, hours, days or even years later they then receive the Baptism with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

Since the Charismatic Renewal of the 60’s and 70’s, where most Charismatics accepted this particular understanding, the Charismatic movement has in most part moved on from this old understanding where most would recognise that each and every Believer receives the Baptism of the Holy Spirit the moment that they are Born Again, (this is the soteriological position) though they will generally acknowledge that they could speak in tongues if they so desired.

The reason that I cannot call myself a Charismatic is that I still make a strong connection between the Salvific act (our moment of Salvation) with tongues, though I reject outright that a Believer has to speak in tongues before they can be deemed to have received the Holy Spirit; I still view the Biblical evidence as informing us that every Believer should be taught that they can pray in the Spirit (tongues) the moment that they are Born Again.

Personally, I liken the exodus out of Egypt and the trip to Mt. Sinai as running a prophetic parallel to the path NT believers were supposed to take; from redemption out of bondage to sin into the Presence of God Himself (Mt. Sinai = Pentecost). Thus, I regard it all as one self-contained experience (stretched out over a relatively short period of time), and I find it unfortunate that we've separated the two experiences from one another such that we now debate the possibility of salvation apart from the baptism in the Holy Spirit. I feel like this is a mistake that should be corrected rather than debated (as was the case during NT times. See Acts 19:1-6), whereas many seem content not to do so today, as if the baptism in the Holy Spirit and accompanying spiritual gifts can be regarded as non-essential, non-intrinsic parts of the whole experience. But it's such an involved discussion that I wouldn't have time to get into it now. Maybe some other time, however. :oldthumbsup:

Thanks again for all your helpful posts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let me take a guess, would that be the Holy Bible?
Of all the superb specialist books and commentaries that I own, I still feel that reading the Bible, particularly Acts 2, Rom 12, 1 Cor 12, 13 & 14 along with Eph 4 and James 5 that a careful and thoughtful perusal of these passages should in theory be enough to understand what is happening.

No actually Its called Discover your God given gifts by Don and Katie Fortune.

Upvote 0