What are the most important elements of a good teacher?

possibletarian

Dec 27, 2016
Peak District
✟33,311.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'll offer some criteria here but any criteria you think of is fine.

-good at explaining difficult concepts
-encourages every student including slow learners
-good at classroom management and discipline
-good clear voice, easy to listen to
-entertaining
-provides a variety of activities so its not just "chalk and talk"
-challenges students to think for themselves
-really cares about each student as a person, an individual
-very knowledgeable about their subject
-uses humour a lot

I excelled at physics during my formal school years, I put this down almost exclusively to having a great teacher, sure I had a natural interest but it was brought to life by a teacher who just loved teaching.

He was strict, I recall that but never once did I see him get frustrated at any student because they did not understand, he seemed to understand that different people learnt in different ways and was always willing to try another approach.

He also was very good at realising when people were tired and distracted and would find something they could succeed at for that day, he often set interesting experiments up and let students draw their own conclusions, no one was ever derided or laughed at for asking questions (that is where is got my quote from).

So understanding your pupils, understanding where they are in that moment, and patience for those who truly want to learn are my main requirements

Andy

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The most important thing teacher can do is to interact personally with each and every student.

The second most important thing a teacher can do, especially in grades 1 through 12 is to make clear to his or her students exactly what is going to be taught, why it is being taught, and what is expected of them. In other words share the whole lesson plan with the students so they can help the teacher do his or her job.

The teacher should inform the students if there is any agenda in the courses outside of purely scholastic goals.

The teacher should reveal anything in the lesson plan that they personally don't agree with, and, encourage students to read and study elements of the subject outside of the lesson plan.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
not sure about Grade 1 though.

I think the process can be tailored for 1st graders. For example, when they are asked to draw pictures of their family they should be informed that "this is because we want to know all about how you see yourself and others within your family structure so we can better deal with your problems and idiosyncracies". o_O

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think the process can be tailored for 1st graders. For example, when they are asked to draw pictures of their family they should be informed that "this is because we want to know all about how you see yourself and others within your family structure so we can better deal with your problems and idiosyncracies".
oh ok good example.
I was thinking you meant you have to explain the rationale behind the lesson. So a teacher giving a Religious Education lesson would say "Now what I'm trying to achieve with you guys is a basic understanding of God the Father and His love of mankind. So by the end of the lesson, I want you to really feel the power of His love. OK?" [that would seem unnecessary to me]

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This thread is scary. Number one for a teacher is knowing the subject matter. Nothing else matters if they have that wrong.

Second most important is admitting when they are wrong. Somewhat ironically the ones who actually do know their subject matter cold and are rarely wrong are usually the ones most able to admit mistakes.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
oh ok good example.
I was thinking you meant you have to explain the rationale behind the lesson. So a teacher giving a Religious Education lesson would say "Now what I'm trying to achieve with you guys is a basic understanding of God the Father and His love of mankind. So by the end of the lesson, I want you to really feel the power of His love. OK?" [that would seem unnecessary to me]

Explain the rationale yes. Make converts to an ideology, no.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Because its hard for teachers to live up to all the criteria? :)
I was a teacher once by the way. Most of that criteria I didnt live up to. :)

No because competence in the subject matter was neglected until I brought it up. If that is lacking the teacher becomes an impediment to learning.

I'm not sure but I think fairness may also have been missing and I encountered quite enough teachers who favored their pets and abused those they disliked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely not.

A good teacher will enable you to explore without a teacher to guide you. Teaching one to follow the teacher is crippling.

You can't give younger students too much latitude however.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
No because competence in the subject matter was neglected until I brought it up
well in a way yes but I did mention "should be very knowledgeable in the subject" which was meant to include competence.
I think the criteria we choose says more about us than the ideal teacher. It means we have a preferred learning style or expectation of how a teacher should behave. I can remember some students saying they loved a certain teacher, whereas I couldn't stand them.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
well in a way yes but I did mention "should be very knowledgeable in the subject" which was meant to include competence.
I think the criteria we choose says more about us than the ideal teacher. It means we have a preferred learning style or expectation of how a teacher should behave. I can remember some students saying they loved a certain teacher, whereas I couldn't stand them.

Ditto that. My sister loved our hs English Literature teacher while I hated her (and actually begged out of her class).

• Agree
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No because competence in the subject matter was neglected until I brought it up. If that is lacking the teacher becomes an impediment to learning.

I'm not sure but I think fairness may also have been missing and I encountered quite enough teachers who favored their pets and abused those they disliked.
I think someone mentioned competence in the subject area. I admit that I pretty much assumed that as a necessity. A teacher can't teach what they don't even understand themselves.

But I disagree that it is the only criteria. A master in the subject area who despises their students or is impatient or tends to ridicule them is likely to breed an aversion to the subject matter and possibly school altogether in their students. I have run across a few who bordered on such characteristics.

But you did mention fairness, which is a part of genuinely caring for each student and treating them with a degree of human dignity. I don't think anyone specifically mentioned fairness, but it certainly IS important, and since teachers are only human, I think nearly always requires a certain commitment to achieve, since it is overwhelmingly tempting to human nature to favor those who treat us well. I've had too many students who simply assumed they would be treated unfairly and it can be quite difficult to break through those expectations and convince them that they will be treated the same as everyone else, but that certain rules still had to be enforced.

Upvote 0