What are the most controversial and heatedly debated doctrines in Christianity?

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
What are the most controversial and heatedly debated doctrines in Christianity? To be more precise, I'm looking for examples of doctrines which are:
  • objectively popular, i.e., there is a significant amount of Christians who believe in this doctrine.
  • objectively controversial, i.e., there is a significant amount of other Christians who reject this doctrine for different reasons, and it is not uncommon for debates to ensue when the doctrine or its rejection are brought up in the presence of an opposing party.
Answers that substantiate claims of controversy with objective statistics would be preferred.

Note: for the purposes of this question, to disambiguate the meaning of significant amount of Christians let's assume that if a doctrine is defended by at least 1 million Christians and rejected by at least 1 million other Christians, then it is objectively popular and controversial.

Note 2: given the potential combinatorial explosion of comparisons between different denominations, I would suggest that answerers define their own 'controversy scores' to help them rank controversies. One option could be to sum the numbers of Christians for and against the doctrine, or use the minimum between the two, etc. Another criterion to rank controversies could be the degree of importance attributed to the doctrine by the defending party (or to its rejection by the antagonist side). For example, if the doctrine or its rejection is considered essential for salvation by either party, that should definitely add bonus points to the controversy score. An answer listing the "top 5" or "top 10" doctrinal controversies according to a criterion thus defined would be perfectly fine in my opinion.

Note 3: another way to identify (and justify) the existence of doctrinal controversies is by finding examples of public organized debates between notable apologists representing the different positions in dispute. For example, see Debating the Eucharist // Cameron Bertuzzi vs. Matt Fradd.

I have a novel idea ….

Verify the doctrine with the Written Word of God.

If the doctrine is written in the Word…. and only 1 person agrees

But a million people disagree with that specific doctrine.

Go with the 1

• Agree
Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ones I seem to see the most are baptism being necessary for salvation and determinism vs Free Will. Oh and whether Mary had sex.
That seems to really crank up the Catholics for some reason.
You would think they would allow her to let her hair down now and then!

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh and whether Mary had sex.
That seems to really crank up the Catholics for some reason.

C.S. Lewis said Mariology discussion had such intensity since for us it's like insulting one's mother. For me I definitely feel that as in my mind it is like calling her a prostitute (since it reduces her from how the Church honors her by an insane degree and ruins totally the symbolism built around these devotions from of old). I usually try and hide that but just being 100% honest that is exactly what it feels like is being done to me. Not to mention I think St. Joseph was a virgin also so yeah, a true ruination.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The biggest debates are going to be in the world of Catholicism right now. It's been a while for me, last I was into the fray there Pacha mama was a really, really big deal. I could not tell you what is going on now but I heard things had gotten so bad that they shut down Catholic Answers.
Pachamamism is a sort of symptom. The real issue is what is up with pope Francis. Lots of Protestants love him. Lots of Catholics are exasperated. And he won't explain his bloopers, if they really are bloopers. I think this is one of the biggest controversies in Christianity at the moment. And it has the potential to re-align the whole landscape.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(@TruthSeek3r, you don't have to resolve all of these to start walking in Salvation with Jesus. He teaches us as we go along.)

That's an interesting point. You would think that Jesus would teach the same doctrines to everybody (He would not teach contradictory doctrines to different people). So the fact that people are coming to different conclusions and embracing different doctrinal positions is clear indication that not everyone is hearing Jesus accurately, at least when these doctrines contradict each other.

How do you make sure that your doctrines are the ones that Jesus actually teaches, especially in the case of those which are most hotly debated?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are the most controversial and heatedly debated doctrines in Christianity? To be more precise, I'm looking for examples of doctrines which are....

What is the purpose of the question you are seeking?

python_lead.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you make sure that your doctrines are the ones that Jesus actually teaches, especially in the case of those which are most hotly debated?
We cannot be expected to know, thoroughly, right now [1 Corinthians 13:12; 1 John 3:2].
The only advantage that a Christian has in this matter is John 14:26.
He'll Take Care Of The Rest, Keith Green (1977)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What are the most controversial and heatedly debated doctrines in Christianity? To be more precise, I'm looking for examples of doctrines which are:
  • objectively popular, i.e., there is a significant amount of Christians who believe in this doctrine.
  • objectively controversial, i.e., there is a significant amount of other Christians who reject this doctrine for different reasons, and it is not uncommon for debates to ensue when the doctrine or its rejection are brought up in the presence of an opposing party.
Answers that substantiate claims of controversy with objective statistics would be preferred.

Note: for the purposes of this question, to disambiguate the meaning of significant amount of Christians let's assume that if a doctrine is defended by at least 1 million Christians and rejected by at least 1 million other Christians, then it is objectively popular and controversial.

Note 2: given the potential combinatorial explosion of comparisons between different denominations, I would suggest that answerers define their own 'controversy scores' to help them rank controversies. One option could be to sum the numbers of Christians for and against the doctrine, or use the minimum between the two, etc. Another criterion to rank controversies could be the degree of importance attributed to the doctrine by the defending party (or to its rejection by the antagonist side). For example, if the doctrine or its rejection is considered essential for salvation by either party, that should definitely add bonus points to the controversy score. An answer listing the "top 5" or "top 10" doctrinal controversies according to a criterion thus defined would be perfectly fine in my opinion.

Note 3: another way to identify (and justify) the existence of doctrinal controversies is by finding examples of public organized debates between notable apologists representing the different positions in dispute. For example, see Debating the Eucharist // Cameron Bertuzzi vs. Matt Fradd.

In this forum it is Universalism but this is only an extreme form of OSAS having it's origins in Genesis 3:1-5. In other forums God's 10 commandments including his 4th commandment that the Christian world has forgotten and ignored when God says "Remember".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
Every doctrine that a man speaks of, he shows no belief in its power.

The doctrine and word of the Lord is seen in the ones who did it, Jesus Christ and His Apostles, all other are chosen by fools and spoken by the same, as is meant to be.

1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

1 Thessalonians 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Faith and works is one topic I have seen often.

Eschatology is another topic that can get heated at times.

There are so many topics debated in Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are the most controversial and heatedly debated doctrines in Christianity?
The Real Presence in the Eucharist rather than simply symbolism. My tag line kinda hints at where I stand on that question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

covid-19v1

Dec 18, 2020
Louisiana
✟11,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Easy Believism --

It's a belief that you can enjoy a sinful life after accepting Christ as Savior, without worry of losing salvation (because salvation is by "faith alone"). You are free to commit any sin, including the worship of other gods (yes, I heard them say that on radio).

In other words, they basically believe you could trick God into a salvation contract.... because "faith alone".

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Easy Believism --

It's a belief that you can enjoy a sinful life after accepting Christ as Savior, without worry of losing salvation (because salvation is by "faith alone"). You are free to commit any sin, including the worship of other gods (yes, I heard them say that on radio).

In other words, they basically believe you could trick God into a salvation contract.... because "faith alone".

"In other words" is when you need to distort a source. You may complain about what (specific) people have said if you wish.

We are sinners, we remain sinners after we are saved. No matter what sins we have committed in the past or in the future, God does not "unforgive" us and Jesus does not "un-die" then die again later.

There is no "Easy Forgiveness" where God only forgives the small sins then uses "Take-Backs!" when we sin again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0