What are the commandments now that we are supposed to keep...?

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you know the ten commandments are are honest with yourself, you will realize you break them all the time and often...

Is that what you mean by continuing in known unrepentant sin, cause the more you know about sin, the more impossible you will realize it truly is to keep them on your own or in your own strength...

With a full knowledge of all sin, can you ever not knowingly sin, ever, after that...?

And what about the other questions I asked...?

I am repentant though, though I still sin even knowingly sometimes, so what does that make me...?

God Bless!
An honest person and I think that makes you a sinner saved by grace.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do not continue in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN as I abide in Christ. Those who do so need to be BORN again because they do not KNOW God *1 JOHN 3:6-9; 1 JOHN 2:3-4 and have not entered into God's NEW COVENANT promise to LOVE *HEBREWS 8:10-12; ROMANS 13:10-12; ROMANS 3:31.
Is it a sin to break these commandments?

Thou shall love your enemy.
Thou shall pray for those who persecute you.
Thou shall turn the other cheek.
Thou shall not make vows.
Thou shall only divorce on the basis of unchastity.
Thou shall not marry a divorced women, that is adultery.
Thou shall not lust in your thought life, that is adultery.
Thou shall reconcile with your brother before presenting an offering at the altar.
Thou shall not call someone a fool.
Thou shall exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees.
Thou shall endure to the end.
Thou shall not get drunk.
Thou shall be judged by your words.
Thou shall not blaspheme the Holy Spirit.
Thou shall be poor in spirit.
Thou shall bind the strong man.
Thou shall not scatter, you will gather with me.
Thou shall be justified by your words.
Thou that hast shall more be given.

Thou shall shine your light before men.
Thou shall not worry about tomorrow.
Thou shall not worry about your life.
Thou shall not serve money and God, two masters.
Thou shall not store treasure on earth.
Thou shall not wear a gloomy face when fasting.
Thou shall forgive others.
Thou shall not use repetition in prayer.
Thou shall pray in secret.
Thou shall not sound a trumpet when giving to the poor.
Thou shall not practise righteousness before men.
Thou shall not judge others
Thou shall not give what is holy to dogs.
Thou shall enter through the narrow gate.
Thou shall beware the false prophet.
Thou shall do the will of the Father.
Thou shall act on these words of mine.
Thou shall follow me and allow the dead to bury the dead.
Thou shall not pour new wine into old wineskins.
Thou shall beseech the Lord to send workers into the harvest.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is it a sin to break these commandments?

Thou shall love your enemy.
Thou shall pray for those who persecute you.
Thou shall turn the other cheek.
Thou shall not make vows.
Thou shall only divorce on the basis of unchastity.
Thou shall not marry a divorced women, that is adultery.
Thou shall not lust in your thought life, that is adultery.
Thou shall reconcile with your brother before presenting an offering at the altar.
Thou shall not call someone a fool.
Thou shall exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees.
Thou shall endure to the end.
Thou shall not get drunk.
Thou shall be judged by your words.
Thou shall not blaspheme the Holy Spirit.
Thou shall be poor in spirit.
Thou shall bind the strong man.
Thou shall not scatter, you will gather with me.
Thou shall be justified by your words.
Thou that hast shall more be given.

Thou shall shine your light before men.
Thou shall not worry about tomorrow.
Thou shall not worry about your life.
Thou shall not serve money and God, two masters.
Thou shall not store treasure on earth.
Thou shall not wear a gloomy face when fasting.
Thou shall forgive others.
Thou shall not use repetition in prayer.
Thou shall pray in secret.
Thou shall not sound a trumpet when giving to the poor.
Thou shall not practise righteousness before men.
Thou shall not judge others
Thou shall not give what is holy to dogs.
Thou shall enter through the narrow gate.
Thou shall beware the false prophet.
Thou shall do the will of the Father.
Thou shall act on these words of mine.
Thou shall follow me and allow the dead to bury the dead.
Thou shall not pour new wine into old wineskins.
Thou shall beseech the Lord to send workers into the harvest.

Your post is only a distraction. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin *ROMANS 14:23. If you KNOWINGLY disobey God's WORD it is sin. The same as if you disobey any one of God's 10 commandments it is SIN *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11.

God's 4th Commandment is one of the 10 Commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of what sin is *JAMES 4:17. There is no such thing as the 9 commandments in God's WORD. The same as there is no scripure that says God's 4th commandment is Abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

All those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN (breaking any one of God's 10 commandments) will not enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of God's work in us as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *JAMES 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50.

We are saved by GRACE through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God *EPHESIANS 2:8. We are all sick with sin and need a Physician *MATTHEW 9:12-13. JESUS says arise take up your bed and walk. If you cannot you need to be BORN AGAIN. Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it *ROMANS 3:4.

I believe him. How about you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Your post is only a distraction. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin *ROMANS 14:23. If you KNOWINGLY disobey God's WORD it is sin. The same as if you disabey any one of God's 10 commandments it is SIN *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11.

God's 4th Commandment is one of the 10 Commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of what sin is *JAMES 4:17. There is no such thing as the 9 commandments in God's WORD. The same as there is no scripure that says God's 4th commandment is Abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

All those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN (breaking any one of God's 10 commandments) will not enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of God's work in us as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *JAMES 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50.

We are saved by GRACE through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God *EPHESIANS 2:8. We are all sick with sin and need a Physician *MATTHEW 9:12-13. JESUS says arise take up your bed and walk. If you cannot you need to be BORN AGAIN. Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it *ROMANS 3:4.

If I continue in smoking cigarettes till the day I die or it kills me, am I going to hell...?

Or is it if I say, got cancer or something, and then got (miraculously?) healed or something, then went back to it (that specific thing), the cancer would probably come back and kill me or something if I chose to do that...?

Go and sin no more, right...?

In either or any of these cases, would I be saved still, or at all...?

God Bless!

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Your post is only a distraction. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin *ROMANS 14:23. If you KNOWINGLY disobey God's WORD it is sin. The same as if you disabey any one of God's 10 commandments it is SIN *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11.

What is "God's WORD" to you...?

And what is His (God's) "LAW" to you...?

God Bless!

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What are the commandments now that we are supposed to keep (under the NC)...

And can anyone keep these on their own or in their own strength...?

God Bless!

The Old Covenant was a covenant strictly made between God and Israel, it has nothing to do with us Gentiles. It had to do with tenure in the land of Canaan and their statehood as a theocracy. If they obeyed the covenant terms, they were fruitful and blessed in the land. If they broke the covenant terms, they were punished and exiled from the land. Even if you lived in the Old Covenant times, as a Gentile you would not have been a participant in this covenant, as it dealt with the ethnic descent people of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Now, this covenant has been superseded (not replaced) and fulfilled in the arrival the New Covenant, which is typified and pointed forward to. We are grafted in, with the believing Jews who are the natural branches, by faith into this New Covenant that deals with eternal and spiritual promises.

The Ten Commandments is a summary, not only of the covenant agreement between God and Israel, but the moral duty and standard for righteousness that we all are obligated to fulfill. Jesus said that this moral law is summed up in two commandments. This is distinct from the commandments given to Israel regarding the land of Canaan, their worship, their kingship, etc. The moral law is transparent to all covenants, and is included in all covenants that God makes with men.

I suppose some people have interpreted the statement: "We are not under law, but under grace," to refer to the moral law and its obligation for all of us. This is false. The statement, in the original context, is referring to the law's jurisdiction. We are not under the demands of the law for punishment, but are under the grace that Jesus purchased for us with his own precious blood. We are free from the law's demands by the grace that has been brought to us by faith. And that demand was eternal punishment. Like the death of a husband frees a woman from that marriage, we have died to the law's demands through the body of Jesus that was delivered on our account that we may belong to him in righteousness.

I hope this helps.

• Winner
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The Old Covenant was a covenant strictly made between God and Israel, it has nothing to do with us Gentiles.
As written , the gentiles were without hope at that time and without Christ in the world - the nations heathen and pagan were not admitted access to Yahweh at that time; only individuals who wanted to seek Yahweh did so through the Hebrew people and TORAH.

Most gentiles never sought Yahweh(God). Same today - most nations/ peoples/ population never seek Him nor turn to Him nor give up (repent) of serving demons.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As written , the gentiles were without hope at that time and without Christ in the world - the nations heathen and pagan were not admitted access to Yahweh at that time; only individuals who wanted to seek Yahweh did so through the Hebrew people and TORAH.

Most gentiles never sought Yahweh(God). Same today - most nations/ peoples/ population never seek Him nor turn to Him nor give up (repent) of serving demons.

I believe you are referencing Ephesians 2.

The gospel promises were revealed through the covenants of promise (Abrahamic, Mosaic, and Davidic), and the Gentiles were without hope, without God, alienated from the community who shared in these promises. Since the wall of hostility, that Covenant with commandments and ordinances that separated Israel from the world, has been abolished through the death of Christ, which the promises pointed forward to, now the Gentiles can enjoy these blessings with the believing Jews.

Upvote 0

Pete smith

Jan 9, 2019
exmouth
✟681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The naivety of belief concerning some is astonishing, as is their contradictions. They say if you knowingly break any of the TC without repentance you cannot enter heaven/remain saved. And yet, those who are in earnest you must obey a seventh day sabbath freely accept as christians those who do not do so and without repentance, people who understand what the letter of the fourth commandment states.

In the real world, and away from solely ''head theology'' if you tell someone, the proof they love Jesus, the fruit of their faith is to obey the letter of the ten commandments, and only then may you be in a saved state, you will then live your Christian life under a righteousness of obeying the law, this is inevitable. For your continued salvation hinges on obeying the law. It would be impossible for you simply to focus on Jesus in faith, trusting him for your salvation.
Those who preach obeying the letter of the law to be/remain in a justified state are guilty of one of two things. Either they are guilty of hypocrisy, or, they are guilty of failing to understand what is required to obey the Ten Commandments, for assuredly they themselves do not obey the letter of those commands.
Biblically speaking, those who most earnestly preached obeying the letter to remain or be in a justified state, where the most corrupted on the inside, though they professed they obeyed the law. As human nature does not change, it will be the same today for such people. However, to understand why, is to go further than just reciting the selective letter, discernment far beyond that is needed

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The naivety of belief concerning some is astonishing, as is their contradictions. They say if you knowingly break any of the TC without repentance you cannot enter heaven/remain saved. And yet, those who are in earnest you must obey a seventh day sabbath freely accept as christians those who do not do so and without repentance, people who understand what the letter of the fourth commandment states.

In the real world, and away from solely ''head theology'' if you tell someone, the proof they love Jesus, the fruit of their faith is to obey the letter of the ten commandments, and only then may you be in a saved state, you will then live your Christian life under a righteousness of obeying the law, this is inevitable. For your continued salvation hinges on obeying the law. It would be impossible for you simply to focus on Jesus in faith, trusting him for your salvation.
Those who preach obeying the letter of the law to be/remain in a justified state are guilty of one of two things. Either they are guilty of hypocrisy, or, they are guilty of failing to understand what is required to obey the Ten Commandments, for assuredly they themselves do not obey the letter of those commands.
Biblically speaking, those who most earnestly preached obeying the letter to remain or be in a justified state, where the most corrupted on the inside, though they professed they obeyed the law. As human nature does not change, it will be the same today for such people. However, to understand why, is to go further than just reciting the selective letter, discernment far beyond that is needed

No one is teaching or saying what your claiming Pete.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pete smith

Jan 9, 2019
exmouth
✟681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It would be far better, if you want to obey Christ's law, and show love to your neighbour, to admit you yourself do not fully obey the ten commandments when you insist everyone else must. Then you will show concern for your neighbour by not demanding of them what you do not demand of yourself, and, you will not crush the sincere in the process. Also, to show humility and admit to your imperfections concerning those commands, you will then not be acting as the Pharisees of Jesus day acted

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It would be far better, if you want to obey Christ's law, and show love to your neighbour, to admit you yourself do not fully obey the ten commandments when you insist everyone else must. Then you will show concern for your neighbour by not demanding of them what you do not demand of yourself, and, you will not crush the sincere in the process. Also, to show humility and admit to your imperfections concerning those commands, you will then not be acting as the Pharisees of Jesus day acted

All I can do without him is sin for I am a sinner. Who am I that he should love me? I love him because he first loved me but now I walk by faith in him that loves me and abide in him and he in me. His commands are his promises to me so I can follow him and walk in his ways. The victory that overcomes the world is only found in him and he is the Word that creates all things and works in those who believe.

Those that do not believe are still in their sins and do not know him. There is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known. You cannot separate LOVE from God's LAW Pete. LOVE is expressed through OBEDIENCE to God's 10 commandments as we have FAITH in God's WORD and is our duty of LOVE to GOD and LOVE to man.

All those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will not enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of God's work in us as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *JAMES 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50.

We are saved by GRACE through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God *EPHESIANS 2:8. We are all sick with sin and need a Physician *MATTHEW 9:12-13. JESUS says arise take up your bed and walk. I believe him. How about you?

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Pete smith

Jan 9, 2019
exmouth
✟681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
All I can do without him is sin for I am a sinner. Who am I that he should love me? I love him because he first loved me but now I walk by faith in him that loves me and abide in him and he in me. His commands are his promises to me so I can follow him and walk in his ways. The victory that overcomes the world is only found in him and he is the Word that creates all things and works in those who believe.

Those that do not believe are still in their sins and do not know him. There is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known. You cannot separate LOVE from God's LAW Pete. LOVE is expressed through OBEDIENCE to God's 10 commandments as we have FAITH in God's WORD and is our duty of LOVE to GOD and LOVE to man.

All those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will not enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of God's work in us as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *JAMES 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50.

We are saved by GRACE through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God *EPHESIANS 2:8. We are all sick with sin and need a Physician *MATTHEW 9:12-13. JESUS says arise take up your bed and walk. I believe him. How about you?

Hope this helps.
As you still commit sin, do I take it you do not understand what the law of the Ten Commandments requires for obedience? Or are you committing known sin?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As you still commit sin, do I take it you do not understand what the law of the Ten Commandments requires for obedience? Or are you committing known sin?

It is given to the blind to have eyes to see and ears to hear and the lame to walk while those seeing see not. Those hearing hear not and those walking walk not. This is because spiritual things are spiritually discerned. They that be whole do not need the physician but those that are sick seek him. Many do not know the meaning. Do you know these scriptures brother? What do you think they mean?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If we claim to be without sin we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us
1John1:8

Clearly the blind are those who claim to be, or infer they are without sin.

Who has claimed to be without sin? All I can do without JESUS is sin because I am a sinner. Yet now I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me and works in me to will and to do of his own good pleasure.

Clearly the blind are those who claim to be, or infer they are without sin.

On the contrary it is the blind that know they are sinners in need of a Saviour to save them from their sins. That is why their eyes were opened. Those that are still in their sins however do not KNOW God and need to be BORN again because they are blind and do not know it.

1 JOHN 2:3-4
[3], And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4], He that said, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 JOHN 3:6-9
[6], Whoever stays in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him.
[7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
[8], He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
[9], Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

JOHN 8:31-36
[31], Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed;
[32], And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
[33], They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how say you, You shall be made free?
[34], Jesus answered them, Truly, truly, I say to you, Whoever commits sin is the servant of sin.
[35], And the servant stays not in the house for ever: but the Son stays ever.
[36], If the Son therefore shall make you free, you shall be free indeed.

God's LAW (10 Commandments) give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTOUESNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172.

God's 4th commandment is one of the 10 commandments *EXODUS 20:8-11 that gives us the KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is when broken *ROMANS 3:20. If we break ANY ONE of them we stand guilty before GOD of SIN *JAMES 2:10-11 and unless we seek JESUS in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the judgment *ACTS 17:30-31; HEBREWS 10:26-27; JAMES 2:8-12.

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9) There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God? In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

May God help you as you seek him through his WORD.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Good, I am glad you admit you transgress the ten commandments

I did not say what you say at all. All those who KNOWINGLY BREAK ANY ONE of God's 10 Commandments will not enter the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. God's WORD teaches we are saved from SIN (breaking God's LAW) not to continue in sin (break God's LAW) *JOHN 8:31-36. God's WORD does not teach lawlessness.

Upvote 0

Pete smith

Jan 9, 2019
exmouth
✟681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I did not say what you say at all. All those who KNOWINGLY BREAK ANY ONE of God's 10 Commandments will not enter the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23. God's WORD teaches we are saved from SIN (breaking God's LAW) not to continue in sin (break God's LAW) *JOHN 8:31-36. God's WORD does not teach lawlessness.
So when you break the ten commandments, is this unknowingly, you do not have the knowledge of what is required to obey them? Or, are you committing known sin?

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Apostle Paul states, to born again Christians who have the Holy Spirit: The letter(of the Ten Commandments) kills. And yet, there are people who are adamant, this law can be and must be fully obeyed. If it is not fully obeyed, you do not have the fruit of faith, or, you do not love Jesus, for if you did you would obey him. And, if the letter of this law is broken, you are then condemned by the law until you repent of your sin. Though as full obedience is required to prove fruit of your faith, and love for Jesus, surely anything less must condemn you.

So why the divergence between Paul’s belief the letter of the Ten Commandments kills, and peoples views that you must fully obey that letter? Only one of two things are possible. Either some do not have the understanding of what obeying the letter of the Ten Commandments fully entails, the understanding Paul had, or, they are guilty of hypocrisy. Preaching a message they know they cannot attain to in their own lives. Lets assume the best in people, the former, they do not understand what is required to fully obey the letter of the ten commandments. These people will often quote: Thou shalt not take the Lords name in vain for instance as a command all Christians must fully obey. Or, thou shalt not commit adultery the same. And who could or should argue with that? No Christian that I know of.

However, Paul gave an example of why he could not obey the letter of that law in rom ch7:7-11&14-24. The example was: Thou shalt not covet, and those verses concern law relating to the inner man, law only God need know you break, law you break in your thoughts and minds. Paul knew, that was breaking the letter of the Ten Commandments. And because he knew no one fully obeys the letter of that law, he knew the letter of the law kills.

Therefore, according to James 2:10 which states if you break one commandment you are guilty of breaking them all, everyone is guilty of breaking the entire Ten Commandments.

So, if we discern the truth of scripture, and do not bring it into contradiction, by claiming we can fully obey the letter the bible says kills, how should we rightly discern the letter of what some quote to support their errant beliefs:

Count/reckon yourselves as dead to sin.

This is often quoted. Simply put, do not seek to live a life of wanting to gratify the flesh, count yourselves to being dead to that. Live your life focusing on Jesus, count yourself dead to thinking of ways you can feed your flesh. No other way is possible to view that, for otherwise, you have to believe Paul contradicted himself. Though you do not want to feed the flesh in your heart, or live your life seeking to gratify it, you will inevitably break the letter that kills along the way.

Lets take a segment many like to quote:

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. Gal5:19-21

Now, if a believer once envies something belonging to another, or has selfish ambition on an occasion, does this mean they are barred from the kingdom of Heaven, thrown into an unsaved state because they have transgressed the letter written? Of course not, no one who preaches full obedience to the TC believes that (I hope) There is a world of difference, between making a shallow/half hearted commitment to Christ, and wanting in your heart to live a lifestyle Paul mentioned in those verses, and hating your imperfections concerning them because you love Jesus and want to live as he desires you to live. Two very different things. If you live your life, seeking in your heart the things mentioned in those verses, you will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven. If you live your life, in your heart not wanting them, and hating imperfections concerning them, you have nothing to fear.

There is no love, mercy or compassion in a message that states: Perform perfect according to the letter that kills or immediatley be condemned by that letter until you earnestly repent. No love at all, only hypocrisy, for those who preach it cannot practice what they preach.

Conclusion. Arguing/debating people that just want to selectively quote the letter, without discernment. And then preach an unloving message concerning it that neither they or anyone can or does attain to do should be avoided. You will never have mature debate that way. The people who preach this unloving message, without being able to discern the true message contained in the letter, will one day be answerable for it. Best to leave it until then, when what is hidden will fully be revealed.
Excellent post brother! You hit the nail on the head! :oldthumbsup:

• Prayers
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0