Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What are the blessings/promises of God for those who endure their cross? - aka; what was the “joy set before” Christ as he “despised the shame”? - I want to have “good thoughts” as St. Paisios says, and these “joys” seem to be the “good-est” of thoughts.

Hebrews 12:2: “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can't entirely answer the question, but it is that we are overjoyed to be reunited to our Creator.

Also, we are given a part of those promises right here where we sit through our likeness to Christ even if it can take many years.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can't entirely answer the question, but it is that we are overjoyed to be reunited to our Creator.

Also, we are given a part of those promises right here where we sit through our likeness to Christ even if it can take many years.
So you’re saying that it is the opportunity to be united with Christ and the realization that we have that gift in the present moment?

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe Fr George Calciu said the promise is not that God would take away suffering, but that He would fill it with His presence.
Interesting, where did you hear that? I’d love to listen/read where that was said.

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe Fr George Calciu said the promise is not that God would take away suffering, but that He would fill it with His presence.

That there is something very helpful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
we can use suffering to grow in virtues and attain God's Kingdom.
So, the joy we set our minds on, that despises the shame, is the choice of gratefulness and enduring patience when God allows others to inflame the passions within us (He is showing you your sin) in humble, meek, magnanimity. Essentially, the “good thoughts” are that they, through God’s Providence, are helping you see your sin and to heal those passionate parts of us?

Is this an aspect of “my brother is my life,” from St. Silouan, in that he/she, through God’s allowance, helps me see my sin and where I need to heal and repent?

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, the joy we set our minds on, that despises the shame, is the choice of gratefulness and enduring patience when God allows others to inflame the passions within us (He is showing you your sin) in humble, meek, magnanimity. Essentially, the “good thoughts” are that they, through God’s Providence, are helping you see your sin and to heal those passionate parts of us?

Is this an aspect of “my brother is my life,” from St. Silouan, in that he/she, through God’s allowance, helps me see my sin and where I need to heal and repent?

You are very good with the questions. I've never been good at asking questions, but you are able to ask good questions which are helpful for others. Thank you.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You are very good with the questions. I've never been good at asking questions, but you are able to ask good questions which are helpful for others. Thank you.
Glory to God. Im glad you’ve found them helpful. You’re welcome. - I’ve found your responses to be helpful for me throughout these forums as well. So, thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: Xenophon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yep.

Upvote 0