What are the BIG things in the Bible we must accept as Christians? (Please no debating or criticism)

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If by the Spirit, you put to death the deeds of the body, you shall live. Rom. 8:13

That is to put to death your deeds of trying to sanctify yourself.

Only by the Spirit can this be done!

See post #159.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have it your way, BH. No disrespect intended my friend.

#1. There is no "my way." There is only "the Bible's way."
#2. I believe God does the good work through the believer; I told this to you before. No offense, but I am not sure why you are now acting like you have amnesia now and you forgot our previous discussion on you agreeing with my first paragraph in one of my previous posts.
#3. You are not really addressing the verses on Sanctification that I shown to you before that prove we also need Sanctification as a part of salvation after we are saved by God's grace. If you are correct, then explaining the verses from your perspective should not be a problem. Then again, this is not the first time I was faced with silence on this topic before. The other tactic besides silence is an explanation on some of the verses that attempts to rewrite the plain meaning of what the verses actually say (which also in no way fits the context, as well).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
#1. There is no "my way." There is only "the Bible's way."
#2. I believe God does the good work through the believer; I told this to you before. No offense, but I am not sure why you are now acting like you have amnesia now and you forgot our previous discussion on you agreeing with my first paragraph in one of my previous posts.
#3. You are not really addressing the verses on Sanctification that I shown to you before that prove we also need Sanctification as a part of salvation after we are saved by God's grace. If you are correct, then explaining the verses from your perspective should not be a problem. Then again, this is not the first time I was faced with silence on this topic before. The other tactic besides silence is an explanation on some of the verses that attempts to rewrite the plain meaning of what the verses actually say (which also in no way fits the context, as well).

Let me explain it a different way.

The commandments that Jesus demand we keep are indeed the moral Law of Moses, the 10 commandments.

He added to these commandments such as, "You have heard, you shall not kill, for he who kills is in danger of the judgement, but I say unto you, if you are angry with your brother without cause, you are in danger of the judgement." etc. etc.

You know the verses of the Law that Jesus added to, there are several. Why did He do this?

He made it impossible for us to even try and keep these commandments.

Do you remember Matt. 22:37-40, where Jesus said to love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself?

The next vs. 40 says, ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND PROPHETS.

As I have shown you in 1John 3:22-24 in a previous post, John gives the same two commandments as Jesus gave, which covers the entire list of Christ's commandments.

This is New Covenant Law keeping, to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and love your neighbor as yourself. It is the keeping of these two commandments in which we can do as mortal man. How is this possible?

Jesus said concerning the Law, "I have not come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it."

He has fulfilled the Law for us! He did it so that by faith in Him and what He has done on the Cross, we fulfill the Law of God, the 10 commandments.

We keep the commandments of Christ and the Law of God by keeping these two simple commandments. He will then bring about the good works that James and Paul spoke of through that faith we exercise in Christ.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are the BIG things in the Bible we must accept as Christians?

Note: This is not meant to be an exhaustive set of lists.
They are lists that describe important things we believers must accept.
Also, keep in mind that these lists are ever under construction (as God gives more knowledge to me).

Anyways, just provide the best list or lists that you can.
In fact, here are my starter lists of some BIG things that I can think of off the top of my head that are essential for us Christians.

To be initially saved, we must believe:

1. In the Gospel (Which is believing that Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and was risen three days later according to the Scriptures for our salvation).
  2. God as revealed in the Bible is the one and only true God.
  3. The Bible is a holy book or it is the very words of God.

Truths in the Bible that when revealed to us, we must believe in them:

In other words, if we have the capability and time to study the Bible in this life, and be guided by the Spirit, we must in time believe:

1. In the Trinity (i.e. God exists as three distinct persons and yet He is one God or being).
  2. Jesus is GOD and uncreated.
  3. The Incarnation (Jesus came into the flesh).
  4. Jesus is fully GOD and man.
  5. Jesus is the only mediator between GOD and man.
  6. God is spirit.
  7. In Worshiping GOD in spirit and in truth.
  8. In the Bible Alone (as our sole authority) + In the Anointing to Understand it.
  9. In being born again by the Spirit.
  10. In being born again by water (Scripture).
  11. God is love (God is the source of all true love; We seek and hold tightly to His love with our entire being).
  12. God is good (He is the source of all good; Man may be able to imitate good, but God holds the true way of good that we must abide within. His judgments, actions, and commands are based on Moral principles that are good).
  13. In the rapture or taking up.
  14. In the bodily resurrection.
  15. In Original Sin (Meaning: All of mankind has sinned against God and he has been corrupted by sin (via by Adam's sin) whereby it necessitates the need for a Savior to solve our diseased state of sinfulness).
  16. In Christ's Imputation or Substitutionary Atonement. (Jesus died in our place for our sins when we exercise proper and true faith).
  17. God has a greater plan for good that we cannot see (all things work together for good to those who love God).
  18. In man's responsibility to answer God's call to grace (forgiveness through Jesus and in believing the gospel), and God's call to enter the Sanctification Process (living holy by God's power) as a part of God's plan of salvation.
  19. God is holy (God is separate from the creation. God is pure, and clean, and there is no darkness in God. He is distinct. God has alway existed, and He is all powerful. God is worthy to be worshiped because of his holiness and uniqueness in being God, the creator and the Savior, and above all things).
  20. In trusting in the sufficiency of God (God is really all I need above anything else).
  21. God is a rewarder to those who seek Him.
  22. There is a heaven, hell, judgment, and a new earth.
  23. There is a devil and his minions who have many deceptions in an attempt to destroy us (Note: Scripture says we are not to be ignorant of devices).
  24. We are in a spiritual battle, and not a physical one.
  25. We are under a New Covenant (by Christ's death) with new commands (that come from the New Testament, and we do not attempt to justify ourselves by obeying the whole of the 613 laws of the Old Testament Law of Moses (Important Note: While the Moral Laws have carried over: Like do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, etc., the ceremonial laws like circumcision, sabbaths, and dietary laws have not carried over; Neither have any of the judicial laws carried over, either (like capital punishment laws in stoning).
  26. Only past sin is forgiven us. Future sin is not forgiven us; All sin must be confessed and forsaken in order to have mercy.
  27. Christ's Blood Atonement; For without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sin.

Commands in the Bible that when revealed to us, we must obey them:

In other words, if we have the capability and time to study the Bible in this life, and be guided by the Spirit, we must in time obey:

1. In denying ourselves, and in surrendering our lives to the Lord to follow Him.
  2. In loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength.
  3. In loving our neighbor (Helping the poor).
  4. In loving the brethren (Feeding the sheep & providing for them).
  5. In loving our enemies (Doing good towards them and in praying for them, not returning evil for evil, making peace with all men).
  6. In preaching or spreading the gospel.
  7. In studying God's Word to show ourselves approved of unto God.
  8. By praying to GOD.
  9. By praising GOD.
  10. By giving thanks unto GOD.
  11. God's command to hold fast the profession of our faith in Jesus as our Savior and His grace;
  12. In Confessing our sins to Jesus if we happen to stumble into sin on rare occasion.
  13. God's commands in the New Testament (and or in living holy) as per the Sanctification Process by the power of the Lord.
  14. In walking by faith in God's Word, and not by sight.
  15. In doing all things to the glory of God.
  16. In doing all things in love.
  17. In not adding or taking away from God's Word (the Bible).
  18. In being separate from the world and its ways.
  19. In not loving money, and refusing to chase after the riches of this world.
  20. In not being ashamed of Christ and or if we are persecuted.
  21. In forgiving everyone.
Looks exhausting not exhaustive

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The commandments that Jesus demand we keep are indeed the moral Law of Moses, the 10 commandments.

First, the New Covenant went officially into effect with his death.
When this happened, the Sabbaths of the Old Covenant had ended officially (See: Colossians 2:14-17, Hebrews 9:16-17, Matthew 27:51).

Second, Jesus was making changes to the Law (even before the New Covenant went officially into effect with His death). For Jesus was primarily teaching New Covenant teachings and not Old Covenant teachings during His earthly ministry.

How so?

Check out the verses within the following spoiler button:

Jesus clearly was making changes to the Law (even before the cross):
(Which means He was not teaching primarily Old Covenant, but New Covenant):

The Old Way says:
"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"
(Matthew 5:38 cf. Exodus 21:23-25).

The New Way (by Jesus) says:
"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39).

The Old Way says:
"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment" (Matthew 5:21 cf. Numbers 35:30-32).

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22).

The Old Way says:
"Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:" (Matthew 5:34 cf. Numbers 30:1-2, Deuteronomy 23:21).

34 "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." (Matthew 5:34-37).

The Old Way says:
"And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am thy servant." (Psalms 143:12).

"And the city shall be accursed, even it, and all that are therein, to the LORD: only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all that are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent." (Joshua 6:17).

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword." (Joshua 6:21).

16 "But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee" (Deuteronomy 20:16-17).

"They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them" (Psalms 106:34).

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44).

Note: Yes, I am aware that the Old Way (Old Testament) also teaches to love one's enemies (Exodus 23:4-5) (Proverbs 25:21), but this was in context to their own Israelite people, and not pagan nations. Pagan nations were to be destroyed when God commanded the Israelites to destroy them. But Jesus taught a radically different way. Love your enemies, and do good to them that hate you, and to pray for those who persecute you.

The Old Way says:
20 "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the harlot in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel." (Deuteronomy 22:20-22).

4 "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" (John 8:4-5).

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. " (John 8:7).

Even after the cross, there were changes being made:

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:
"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:
"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing."
(Galatians 5:2).

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:
32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because again, Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law."
(Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
(John 1:17).

Jesus said,
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." (Matthew 5:17).

Three, the Moral Law is not a Ceremonial Law.
The dictionary defines what these things are for us.

Moral Law:
(Definition):

"A general rule of right living especially: such a rule or group of rules conceived as universal and unchanging and as having the sanction of God's will, of conscience, of man's moral nature, or of natural justice as revealed to human reason."

Source:
Definition of MORAL LAW

Ceremonial Law:
(Definition):

"Law prescribing the ceremonies of religion (as those of the Jewish religion contained in the Old Testament)."

Source:
Definition of CEREMONIAL LAW

Meaning, the Saturday Sabbath (Which is one of the 10 commandments) is not a "Moral Law," but it is a "Ceremonial Law." Moral Laws are any laws that you know to do good instinctively without anyone telling you to do so. The Moral Law is the Law that the Gentiles kept by nature from the written Law in Romans 2:14. Only 9 out of the 10 commandments are Moral Laws.

Four, there are other Moral Laws besides the 9 out of the 10 commandments. There are other laws that we know by instinct in doing good by what God has placed into our natures. For example: We know that not sleeping with one's parents is by nature a good thing. This is also something that is addressed in God's laws besides the commands given to Moses on two tablets. In other words, there are many Moral Laws besides just the ones found in the two tablets (And one of these commands is not even a Moral Law, but it is a Ceremonial Law). The Sabbath is an observance of a ceremony.

As for the rest of what you wrote: I will try and address that later when I have time.

May God bless you;
And may please be well (even if we disagree strongly on God's Word).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Looks exhausting not exhaustive

All things on my list are derived from NT Scripture.
As for the requirements God has of us: It is written,

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:1-2).

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Corinthians 7:1).

"For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." (1 Corinthians 6:20).

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." (Galatians 6:9).

"But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good." (2 Thessalonians 3:13).

"Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:14).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know the verses of the Law that Jesus added to, there are several. Why did He do this?

This is entirely made up. There is no verse or passage in Scripture that states that the reason Jesus gave us so many commands is for the express purpose to show that we cannot really keep them. That's ridiculous. If you actually believe this, then I would say that this is simply a lack of you not reading your New Testament like you should, or you are cherry picking those parts of the Bible that you prefer to believe from your own slanted belief.

Jesus says,

"If you love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

"If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." (John 15:10).

"...if you will enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17).​

In fact, behold the scene in Luke chapter 10:

25 "One day an expert in the law stood up to test Him. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” Jesus replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’ and ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus said. “Do this and you will live.”
(Luke 10:25-28).
Pay attention to verses 27-28.

In verse 27: The lawyer told Jesus that by Scripture that we are to love God and love our neighbor essentially as a part of inheriting eternal life. Now, what is interesting is that verse 28, Jesus does not give a response that Eternal Security proponents would give here. Jesus does not say,

"Wrong lawyer! You cannot keep God's laws for salvation! Thats works salvation! Just trust in me and do not worry about God's laws."​

But is that what Jesus said?

Absolutely not.

Jesus said,

"You have answered correctly," "Do this, and you will live."

Even Paul says this about the words of Jesus,

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).​

Side Note: James 4:6 says God resists the proud and He gives grace to the humble.

Paul also says,

1 "Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.
7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit." (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8).​

In verse 2, Paul says to the Thessalonians that they know what commandments he gave to them by the Lord Jesus Christ. Now, if what you say is true: Why would Paul be giving the Thessalonians commandments by the Lord Jesus Christ if the purpose of God's commands is to show the futility of keeping them?

So what you say makes no sense.

Verse 7 says God does not call us unto uncleanness but unto holiness.
Verse 8 says the person who despises this instruction (from Paul) [in regards to the Lord's commands] despises not men, but they despise God.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This is entirely made up. There is no verse or passage in Scripture that states that the reason Jesus gave us so many commands is for the express purpose to show that we cannot really keep them. That's ridiculous. If you actually believe this, then I would say that this is simply a lack of you not reading your New Testament like you should, or you are cherry picking those parts of the Bible that you prefer to believe from your own slanted belief.

Jesus says,

"If you love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

"If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." (John 15:10).

"...if you will enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17).​

In fact, behold the scene in Luke chapter 10:

25 "One day an expert in the law stood up to test Him. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” Jesus replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’ and ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus said. “Do this and you will live.”
(Luke 10:25-28).
Pay attention to verses 27-28.

In verse 27: The lawyer told Jesus that by Scripture that we are to love God and love our neighbor essentially as a part of inheriting eternal life. Now, what is interesting is that verse 28, Jesus does not give a response that Eternal Security proponents would give here. Jesus does not say,

"Wrong lawyer! You cannot keep God's laws for salvation! Thats works salvation! Just trust in me and do not worry about God's laws."​

But is that what Jesus said?

Absolutely not.

Jesus said,

"You have answered correctly," "Do this, and you will live."

Even Paul says this about the words of Jesus,

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).​

Side Note: James 4:6 says God resists the proud and He gives grace to the humble.

Paul also says,

1 "Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.
7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit." (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8).​

In verse 2, Paul says to the Thessalonians that they know what commandments he gave to them by the Lord Jesus Christ. Now, if what you say is true: Why would Paul be giving the Thessalonians commandments by the Lord Jesus Christ if the purpose of God's commands is to show the futility of keeping them?

So what you say makes no sense.

Verse 7 says God does not call us unto uncleanness but unto holiness.
Verse 8 says the person who despises this instruction (from Paul) [in regards to the Lord's commands] despises not men, but they despise God.

OK, you don't see it, you just don't see it.

Not going to knock my brains out.

Good luck with your commandment keeping!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, you don't see it, you just don't see it.

Not going to knock my brains out.

Good luck with your commandment keeping!

Even believing in Jesus is a commandment (See: 1 John 3:23).

full

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you remember Matt. 22:37-40, where Jesus said to love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself?

As I have shown you in 1 John 3:22-24 in a previous post, John gives the same two commandments as Jesus gave, which covers the entire list of Christ's commandments.

This is New Covenant Law keeping, to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and love your neighbor as yourself. It is the keeping of these two commandments in which we can do as mortal man. How is this possible?

Jesus said concerning the Law, "I have not come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it."

He has fulfilled the Law for us! He did it so that by faith in Him and what He has done on the Cross, we fulfill the Law of God, the 10 commandments.

We keep the commandments of Christ and the Law of God by keeping these two simple commandments. He will then bring about the good works that James and Paul spoke of through that faith we exercise in Christ.

What you promote here is confusing. You say that keeping the two greatest commandments is the equivalent of keeping all of God's laws, but then you suggest or imply that believing in Jesus is how we keep these two laws (because Christ fulfilled the Law on our behalf). Meaning: The believer does not have to worry about keeping God's laws as a part of salvation and all he needs to do is believe in Jesus to be saved. Sounds like fantasy candyland Christianity to me (if this is indeed what you believe).

Surely we do need to trust in Jesus for our salvation. I am not denying that. I believe we have to accept Christ as our Savior, seek forgiveness of our sin with Him, and believe that He died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and was risen three days later on our behalf for salvation. We need to first do this to be initially saved. Then we continue to trust in believe in Jesus as our Savior, and His grace. This is essential to every Christian life. Without this, there is no hope for salvation.

However, there is another aspect of salvation that many like yourself do not want to see in Scripture. This is the Sanctification Process (in being made holy, i.e. to put away sin, and to be fruitful for God in this life, and to not justify sin). This is a process that is worked by God and we cannot take the credit for it entirely. God does the good work through us. The New Testament is our guideline (or rulebook) for how we are to follow the Lord and to obey Him. If you are not seeking to obey the commands in the New Testament, then you are simply doing your own thing. For if things are as you say, then there would be 0% commands in the New Testament. If things were as you say, Paul would not be telling us to obey the commands of the Lord, etc.; In fact, why would Jesus give us new commands just so that they could quickly be rendered utterly useless after the cross? It makes no sense. I believe you cannot explain your belief because it simply does not exist in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

He added to these commandments such as, "You have heard, you shall not kill, for he who kills is in danger of the judgement, but I say unto you, if you are angry with your brother without cause, you are in danger of the judgement." etc. etc.

As I have shown you in 1John 3:22-24 in a previous post, John gives the same two commandments as Jesus gave, which covers the entire list of Christ's commandments.

Just keeping the two greatest commandments does not mean you are doing all of God's commands. Just because all of the Law and prophets (in the Old Covenant) hung on these two does not mean you did not have to obey God's other laws if you were an OT saint. The same is true for the NT saint. We have to obey all of God's commands. Yes, I get that loving your neighbor is the equivalent of keeping the Moral Law (like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not commit adultery, etc.), but this does not apply to other NT commands. You do not automatically leap for joy when persecuted as a part of loving God (Matthew 5:11-12). You do not refrain from making oaths as per the command of Jesus just because you are loving God and your neighbor (Matthew 5:33-36). As a part of loving God and your neighbor, you would not automatically know to call no man your father upon the earth (Matthew 23:9).

Nowhere in Scripture does it teach that just keeping the two is all you need to do, or just believing in Jesus is all that is necessary. If this was the case, then there would be warnings in not keeping the commands of Jesus for salvation. But Jesus said things like, if you love me, keep my commandments. This does not make a whole lot of sense in your Theology. So I understand why you are frustrated to explain your beliefs here. They simply do not exist in light of what Scripture plainly says.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What you promote here is confusing. You say that keeping the two greatest commandments is the equivalent of keeping all of God's laws, but then you suggest or imply that believing in Jesus is how we keep these two laws (because Christ fulfilled the Law on our behalf). Meaning: The believer does not have to worry about keeping God's laws as a part of salvation and all he needs to do is believe in Jesus to be saved. Sounds like fantasy candyland Christianity to me (if this is indeed what you believe).

Surely we do need to trust in Jesus for our salvation. I am not denying that. I believe we have to accept Christ as our Savior, seek forgiveness of our sin with Him, and believe that He died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and was risen three days later on our behalf for salvation. We need to first do this to be initially saved. Then we continue to trust in believe in Jesus as our Savior, and His grace. This is essential to every Christian life. Without this, there is no hope for salvation.

However, there is another aspect of salvation that many like yourself do not want to see in Scripture. This is the Sanctification Process (in being made holy, i.e. to put away sin, and to be fruitful for God in this life, and to not justify sin). This is a process that is worked by God and we cannot take the credit for it entirely. God does the good work through us. The New Testament is our guideline (or rulebook) for how we are to follow the Lord and to obey Him. If you are not seeking to obey the commands in the New Testament, then you are simply doing your own thing. For if things are as you say, then there would be 0% commands in the New Testament. If things were as you say, Paul would not be telling us to obey the commands of the Lord, etc.; In fact, why would Jesus give us new commands just so that they could quickly be rendered utterly useless after the cross? It makes no sense. I believe you cannot explain your belief because it simply does not exist in the Bible.

In order for me to show you from scripture in explanation of how this works, you must first understand what Jesus is actually saying.

John 14,

vs. 15) "if you love me, you will keep may commandments."

vs. 21) "whosoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is that loves me."

vs. 23) "if anyone loves me, he will keep my word."

vs. 24) "whosoever does not love me does not keep my words."

Keeping the commandments is always accompanied by "love."

The emphasis is not on keeping the commandments, it's on loving Him.

Take notice of what I mean.

vs. 15) "if you love me, (the result will be) you will keep my commandments."

vs. 21) "whosoever has my commandments and keeps them (is the result of ) he that loves me."

vs, 23) "if anyone loves me, (the result will be) he will keep my word."

vs. 24) "whosoever does not love me (results in) he who does not keep my words."

This goes back to the 2 great commandments that Jesus and John made a priority over the commandments. To "believe" and to "love."

The "belief" and "love" in and on Christ will bring forth the keeping of the commandments by the power of the Holy Spirit leading us, and not by our efforts to do so.

• Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I have a hard time believing that all sins are of equal value but I know the bible can be understood that way. It just seems to me that lying and killing or molestation of a child are not equal.
That there aren't any miracles or healings anymore or if there are I don't know of any.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In order for me to show you from scripture in explanation of how this works, you must first understand what Jesus is actually saying.

John 14,

vs. 15) "if you love me, you will keep may commandments."

vs. 21) "whosoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is that loves me."

vs. 23) "if anyone loves me, he will keep my word."

vs. 24) "whosoever does not love me does not keep my words."

Keeping the commandments is always accompanied by "love."

The emphasis is not on keeping the commandments, it's on loving Him.

Take notice of what I mean.

vs. 15) "if you love me, (the result will be) you will keep my commandments."

vs. 21) "whosoever has my commandments and keeps them (is the result of ) he that loves me."

vs, 23) "if anyone loves me, (the result will be) he will keep my word."

vs. 24) "whosoever does not love me (results in) he who does not keep my words."

This goes back to the 2 great commandments that Jesus and John made a priority over the commandments. To "believe" and to "love."

The "belief" and "love" in and on Christ will bring forth the keeping of the commandments by the power of the Holy Spirit leading us, and not by our efforts to do so.

Sorry, this is not what the Bible teaches, either.
What your teaching here is a form of reverse Calvinism.
God does not force us to be saved after we make a one time decision for Jesus Christ.

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."
(Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

Besides, I doubt you believe we really keep His commandments, anyways.
If keeping the Lord's commands does not relate to salvation, then you are not going to do them by default and you are going to say you are only saved by His grace alone. If you believe commandment keeping is a result of having been saved, then you would teach that we must keep His commandments as a part of salvation so as to show a true love or faith in God. So far, I did not get any indication that you are for doing this. Do you believe you have to help the poor in this life as a part of salvation? See: Matthew 25:31-46. Do you believe you have to preach or spread the gospel as a part of being fit for the kingdom of God? See: Luke 9:62. Do you believe that you lose salvation via by committing certain sins like lying, lusting, and or hating? Again, my guess is that this would be a... "no." So this would mean you are not really for keeping His commandments. For if you can break His commands and still be saved, then you are not really for keeping them. If I am wrong, please correct me. But this is the general view of Belief Alone-ism or of the Free Grace crowd. Many of them believe they sin physically in their body, but their spirit does not sin because of their belief alone on Jesus. They believe Jesus paid for their future sin. But this is not what the Bible teaches. One has to confess sin to Jesus in order to be forgiven of sin (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1). One has to walk in the light in order for the blood of Jesus to cleanse us from all sin (1 John 1:7); For he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy (Proverbs 28:13).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

First, God does not force us to do anything. He can nudge and influence us to do good; But we have to be pure of heart in not justifying sin. Most today believe they can sin on some level and still be saved by having a belief alone on Jesus.

Second, the two greatest commandments are not as you say.

The 1st greatest commandment is:

“Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord, and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength...” (Mark 12:29-30).​

The 2nd greatest command is:

“...You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39).
These are the two greatest commandments.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, this is not what the Bible teaches, either.
What your teaching here is a form of reverse Calvinism.
God does not force us to be saved after we make a one time decision for Jesus Christ.

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."
(Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

Besides, I doubt you believe we really keep His commandments, anyways.
If keeping the Lord's commands does not relate to salvation, then you are not going to do them by default and you are going to say you are only saved by His grace alone. If you believe commandment keeping is a result of having been saved, then you would teach that we must keep His commandments as a part of salvation so as to show a true love or faith in God. So far, I did not get any indication that you are for doing this. Do you believe you have to help the poor in this life as a part of salvation? See: Matthew 25:31-46. Do you believe you have to preach or spread the gospel as a part of being fit for the kingdom of God? See: Luke 9:62. Do you believe that you lose salvation via by committing certain sins like lying, lusting, and or hating? Again, my guess is that this would be a... "no." So this would mean you are not really for keeping His commandments. For if you can break His commands and still be saved, then you are not really for keeping them. If I am wrong, please correct me. But this is the general view of Belief Alone-ism or of the Free Grace crowd. Many of them believe they sin physically in their body, but their spirit does not sin because of their belief alone on Jesus. They believe Jesus paid for their future sin. But this is not what the Bible teaches. One has to confess sin to Jesus in order to be forgiven of sin (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1). One has to walk in the light in order for the blood of Jesus to cleanse us from all sin (1 John 1:7); For he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy (Proverbs 28:13).

Ok BH, I understand that you don't believe anything that I have posted. I told you before that there is nothing I could say that would change your mind.

I have shown you in my last post how we can misunderstand Christ on the keeping of commandments. Now I want to make a few points on faith and works. Then I will be done. I will have done my part, what God expects me to do.

Both James and Paul state the same of Abraham's salvation.

Rom. 4:3 from Paul,
For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

James 2:23 from James.
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

They both believe Abraham was saved the same way.

But Paul goes on to say in Rom. 4:4-5,
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Is not this the exact difference between you and me?

You choose to work, and I choose not to work!

Paul says here without a doubt that, "to him who works is the reward not of grace", and that, "to him that works not, but believes, his faith is counted for righteousness."

You have said that works are necessary for salvation, that's why you made the list in the OP. You have said that works are necessary in the sanctification process along with faith to reach salvation. Did you not?

I believe Paul, that's why I don't work in any way for salvation, but place all my faith in Christ who has done all the work. Therefore I can take no credit for my salvation.

But you have a partial work for yours, and you can take partial credit! Just one more thing.

Rom. 11:6
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Do you realize what Paul has said here?

"If it be of works, then it is no more grace."

This is a dangerous place to be! Paul is canceling out grace where works are found!

With Paul and James both agreeing on how Abraham was saved, you had better make sure you understand what James really means when he says in 2:24, "you see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok BH, I understand that you don't believe anything that I have posted. I told you before that there is nothing I could say that would change your mind.

Well, I can say the same thing, but we both cannot be correct.

Jesus said we would be accused falsely on His account (Matthew 5:11-12).
I believe you are accusing me falsely of things I do not believe or you have spoken against things I believe I have stated already. While I not only have a problem Belief Alone-ism or Once Saved Always Saved, i.e. OSAS (Which is what you appear to be pushing) which I believe leads a believer to justify sin and disobedience under God's grace on some level, another problem with your belief I see here is that you are falsely accusing me of things that are simply not true.

By what you said so far, you imply I do not believe in the following things:

#1. I believe in God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
This is God's grace and it is how we are initially and ultimately saved
(foundational salvation).
I believe this is the first, and foundational process of salvation whereby a saved by God's mercy and grace (without any works) (Ephesians 2:8-9). Nobody can be saved by "Works Alone" without God's grace. Without grace there is no salvation to stand upon. We accept God's grace when we:

(a) Believe in Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen three days later on our behalf for salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).
(b) Seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ of having sinned against God (Romans 10:13, Luke 18:9-14, 1 John 2:1, 1 John 1:9, Hebrews 4:16).
(c) Invite Jesus into our life to be our personal Lord and Savior (Matthew 11:28, Revelation 3:20, Ephesians 3:17).
(d) After a believer is saved by God's grace: If a believer stumbles into sin unintentionally on rare occasion in their holy walk with the Lord, they can confess of this sin to Jesus to be forgiven of it (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1) (Note: A believer does not do a good work alone in order to be forgiven by God, i.e. Foundational Salvation).
You have implied within this post (I am quoting) that I do not believe in God's grace via by Romans 4:3-5, Romans 11:6, and James 2:23 (Which is simply not true).

#2. I believe God does the good work ultimately through the believer in the Sanctification Process (Which takes place after a believer is saved by God's grace):
So the good work I do is not mine own alone, but it is God who does the good work through me (Philippians 2:13, John 15:5). You have stated something similar, and you even agreed with me, but then you later went back to making statements that implied that this is not what I believe anymore (Which is simply not true).

You said:
I have shown you in my last post how we can misunderstand Christ on the keeping of commandments.

You did not show such a thing at all. You said that the two greatest commandments is to believe in Christ, and to love in Christ. When in reality, the Bible teaches that the 1st greatest commandment is to: Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, and the 2nd greatest commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself (See: Mark 12:29-31). You have not accepted the plain meaning of these words in Scripture and you have invented your own version of the two greatest commandments. So I do not believe you are speaking in line with the whole counsel of God's Word in what it plainly says here.

You said:
Now I want to make a few points on faith and works. Then I will be done. I will have done my part, what God expects me to do.

I will make a few points also on faith and works (according to the Bible) in my next post to you. The difference between us on this topic is that I will never be done defending the truth on these truths in Scripture with you (unless God convicts me to stop talking to you directly in the fact that you are not open to hearing the truth on the account of Jude 1:4).

I know that my continual defense of what God's Word says plainly is what the Lord my God expects me to do. But in Belief Alone-ism or OSAS, there is no need of any real expectations. One can sin and still be saved on some level. So any expectation God has for this kind of believer is merely optional. For one is saved solely on God's grace alone, they can live however they like. They can murder, commit adultery, and or steal and still be saved by having a belief alone on Jesus. If you disagree that a believer will not do these things, then you agree that holiness or holy living does play a part in the salvation process on some level.

But I do not agree that the Eternal Security Proponent's version of holiness is the one described in the Bible. For some believe that while no Christian will ever murder, rape, or commit child abuse, on the other hand, they say that a believer can sin every day and be saved in other ways (like lying, lusting, and swearing, etc.). But most (not all) Eternal Security Proponents I have talked with expressed the belief that believers will always commit sin in this life (on some level) before they die, and that future sin is forgiven them (Thereby creating a safety net for them to sin in some way while under God's grace). If your version of Belief Alone-ism or Eternal Security (OSAS) is different than the one I described here, then by all means, please explain.

Anyways, I will start to address the verses you put forth me in my next post to you.

In the meantime:
May God's love shine upon you today
(Even if we disagree on His Word greatly).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now I want to make a few points on faith and works.

Well, I believe most believers today are confused on the topic of salvation in general, and thus they confuse the issue on faith and works.
They look at only those parts of Scripture that they prefer to see and make the wrong conclusion instead of looking at the big picture involving Salvation.

full

When I read the Scriptures, I see 4 different aspects of salvation described.

#1. Provisional Atonement (not "Limited Atonement").
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by Justification and Sanctification).
This is Jesus paying the price for the sins of the entire world so as to offer mankind the free gift of salvation (if they so choose to accept it); Note: Christ's resurrection (to give us a new body not tainted by sin one day), and the ascension to the Father (after Christ telling Mary not to touch Him), and his entering the holy temple by his blood (to be our Heavenly High Priest) is also included in the Provisional Atonement, too. (For Provisional Atonement verses, see: John 1:29, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:6, 2 Corinthians 5:19, Romans 5:6-8.).

#2. Justification (Initial Salvation, and or Foundational Salvation).
(The 1st synergistic work of GOD done in a believer).
Justification is the entrance gate to salvation, and it is the foundation of our salvation (by faith) upon which we stand. Justification is believing that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and had risen again three days later on your behalf, and accepting Jesus as your Savior, and seeking forgiveness of your sins with Him by way of prayer. This process of salvation is without the deeds of the Law or works because it is based upon God’s mercy and grace. As a result: One is born again spiritually (Note: Born again by the Spirit, and born again by water (i.e. the Scriptures - Romans 10:17, 1 Peter 1:23)). (For Justification verses, see: Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:1-6, Titus 3:4-7, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Luke 18:9-14, Romans 5:1-2).

#3. Sanctification (The Next Step or Phase in the Salvation Process).
(The 2nd synergistic work of God done in a believer).
Sanctification is the next step or phase in Salvation for a believer who lives out their faith; This is the work of God moving in a believer's life so as to help them to live holy, and to do good works and to put away the lusts of the flesh. These good works are the works of God done through the believer, and so all boasting or praise is given to the Lord. Therefore, there is no boasting in one's own work (because they are ultimately the works of God done through the believer. (For Sanctification verses, see: James 2:24, James 2:17-18, Titus 1:16, Hebrews 5:9, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Hebrews 12:14, Romans 8:1 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 16:22, Romans 8:13, etc.).

#4. Glorification (The Future Salvation of the Truly Faithful Believer).
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by Justification and Sanctification).
Glorification is when God takes the believer home to be with Him in His kingdom and He gives Him a new resurrected body that is not tainted by sin. This process of salvation (in being taken home) is a by product automatically for those believers who properly applied Justification and Sanctification to their lives (For Glorification verses, see: 1 Peter 5:4, 1 Peter 1:4, 1 Corinthians 15:51-57, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, Romans 13:11, Philippians 3:20-21, Hebrews 9:28).

Justification, and then Sanctification is what we as believers need to be focused on. For if we are justified, and sanctified (which is only made possible by the Provisional Atonement), then we will be glorified.

You said:
Both James and Paul state the same of Abraham's salvation.

Rom. 4:3 from Paul,
For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

I believe Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him as righteousness. This is being saved by having faith in God. But James also says Abraham was justified by works, too (James 2:21). I believe Romans 4:3 is referring to Initial and Foundational Salvation. In Romans 4: I believe Paul was arguing against "Circumcision Salvationism." This was a heresy at the time that basically said that a man had to first be circumcised in order to be initially and ultimately saved by God. Circumcision is a command that is a part of the 613 Laws of Moses and it is not a command given to us by Jesus and His followers. If somebody were to make circumcision the basis of their salvation instead of Jesus, they would be making the Law of Moses or the Law Alone as the basis for their salvation.

I believe that when Paul spoke generically using the words "law" and "works" he was referring to two things:

#1. The 613 Laws of Moses given to Israel (And not the church), and or:
#2. Works Alone Salvationism (Without God's grace).​

If you were to read the words "law" and "works" in this way (when reading Paul), what Paul is talking about as a whole will become more clear to you as a whole.

The heresy of "Circumcision Salvationism" (Which led Paul to talk against "Law Alone Salvationism" without God's grace) was clearly described for us at the Jerusalem Council:

1. Acts of the Apostles 15:1 says, “And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.”

2. Acts of the Apostles 15:5 says, But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”

3. Acts of the Apostles 15:24 says, “Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:”

We can even see Paul appearing to argue against the heresy of "Circumcision Salvationism" in these verses here:

1. Galatians 2:3 says, “But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:”

2. Galatians 5:2 says, “Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.”

3. Galatians 5:6 says, “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.”

4. Galatians 6:15 (NLT) says, “It doesn't matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation.”

5. 1 Corinthians 7:18-19 says, 18 For instance, a man who was circumcised before he became a believer should not try to reverse it. And the man who was uncircumcised when he became a believer should not be circumcised now. (NLT) 19 “Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.” (NASB)

6. Romans 2:28-29 says, “For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”

7. Romans 3:1 says, “What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?”

8. Romans 4:9-12 says, ”9 “Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. 11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: 12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.”

9. Acts of the Apostles 21:21 says, “And they are informed of you, that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.”

If you were to pay close attention to these verses, you would notice that Paul appears to subtly argue against "Circumcision Salvationism" in Romans 4:9-12 (Which is the same chapter of the verse that you quoted here, i.e. Romans 4:3). In Romans 4:9-12: Paul appears to be concerned with how Abraham was justified by faith in God and His imputed righteousness and the blessings thereof in uncircumcision and not in circumcision. Paul's point is that a person first needs to have faith in God for salvation first before doing anything (like circumcision). This refutes the Jew's way of thinking and their need for circumcision (Which they felt was for salvation). For Romans 3:1 says,

"What advantage then hath the Jew?
or what profit is there of circumcision?"
(Romans 3:1).​

So Paul's point was that we first need faith in God for our salvation as the basis for our salvation, and not the Old Law (via by "Circumcision Salvationism"). But faith in God for salvation does not exclude in one having to perform afterwards by God's power and Spirit. We can see this in the example with Abraham.

"He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness." (Romans 4:20-22).

"Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (James 2:21).

Works makes one's faith perfect.

"Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?" (James 2:22).​

But make no mistake about it. Faith without works is dead (James 2:17).
A dead faith cannot save anyone.
For even the demons believe and tremble (James 2:19).
We are justified by works and not by faith alone (James 2:24).

Anyways, I will address the rest of what you wrote in my next post to you.

May God's good ways be upon you today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0