What Are The Best Strawberries You Have Grown?

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's been a long time since growing strawberries but have decided to grow some this year. Thought I would try some newer types and I've picked two types for growing, one is called Korona and the other Flamenco and all 10 of each variety are growing so hopefully will have a good crop.
Description
Strawberry ‘Flamenco’ is one of the longest fruiting varieties of strawberry, known as ever-bearing, starting in the early-summer and persisting throughout into the autumn, providing a steady supply of rich, uniform bright red berries which are great for making jam

Description
Strawberry Korona is an early season, disease resistant variety providing heavy yields of large, soft berries. Their size and softness make them great for use in preserves, juices and sauces

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's been a long time since growing strawberries but have decided to grow some this year. Thought I would try some newer types and I've picked two types for growing, one is called Korona and the other Flamenco and all 10 of each variety are growing so hopefully will have a good crop.
Description
Strawberry ‘Flamenco’ is one of the longest fruiting varieties of strawberry, known as ever-bearing, starting in the early-summer and persisting throughout into the autumn, providing a steady supply of rich, uniform bright red berries which are great for making jam

Description
Strawberry Korona is an early season, disease resistant variety providing heavy yields of large, soft berries. Their size and softness make them great for use in preserves, juices and sauces

I wild ones, they are tiny but super sweet and delicious. Of course that also a down side as we have to compete with the deer and other strawberry loving animals eating them before we can. Still their leaves are part of a delicious tea but then any strawberry leaves an work in tea.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wild ones, they are tiny but super sweet and delicious. Of course that also a down side as we have to compete with the deer and other strawberry loving animals eating them before we can. Still their leaves are part of a delicious tea but then any strawberry leaves an work in tea.
Never thought of making tea from strawberry leaves but when I think about it you can make tea from many different berry leaves. Thanks

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Never thought of making tea from strawberry leaves but when I think about it you can make tea from many different berry leaves. Thanks

The trick to making your own teas is in the mixing of types:

Healthy greens - leaves of raspberries, thyme, sage, honeysuckle, or strawberries are flavor full and add depth to tea. This group has the highest vitamins including iron and often the strongest flavors. Many of these leaves can be dried for winter use. Strawberry is usually growing in spring but you can save dried leaves just for this time of year.

Beautiful blooms - bee balm, pansies, nasturtiums (peppery), roses including hips (high in vitamin C), and violets all work and add color. This is nice but winter flowers are hard to find except maybe rosemary that often flowers in winter. Flowers can be dried for early spring use or some can be grown indoors.

Noble fragrances - chives (leaves rise up in snow), rosemary, marjoram, verbena, oregano, geranium and lilac. In fact most herbs add fragrance whether using leaves or flowers. This is why so many are found in this particular list. They also grow early when other plants are still sleeping like thyme, chives and sage. Herbs also carry the most health benefits. These are the few we use but there are many other not mentioned.

Bright tastes - zests of all kinds, such as lemon, orange, or limes all enhance teas. Mints also can lighten a tea and grows early. You can also ream citrus fruits as we discard elements once tea is seeped. It’s faster and easier than running the skins over a fine grater and tea water doesn't mind long strings of zest.

Savory taste - Vanilla bean casing. During Pesach we do not use vanilla extract (unless we make it ourselves). So were vanilla flavor is needed the beans precious seeds are extracted and used. Don’t throw away the hall but save for your flavored tea mixes.

Here is one of my favorite that uses strawberry leaves:

Summer Days Tea

Add equal amount of leaves and flowers but only a tsp of zest per cup.

Raspberry leaves
Strawberry leaves
lemon zest or orange zest
Thyme leaves with and without flowers

This mixture is nice during the cold winter days to remind me that summer will come. Both strawberry and Raspberry leaves dry easily. Thyme freezes and can be also grown indoors in winter in a pot. Pick raspberry leaves before they flower because flowering removes flavor of the leaves. Strawberries can be picked all season long if the bugs don't eat the leaves before you get to them. Gather a lot of leaves if you find you like this tea as I do. They go quickly once the season ends and sadly winter often outlasts these tea stores.

Citrus zest can be taken off fruit whenever you have citrus fruits, before pealing, zest or ream them then dry or freeze them. I keep these in small tins and withdraw what I need them per cup serving these up in my tea ball. Seep the tea for 5 minutes for a mild tea to ten for a stronger tea. Remove ball (or pour through sieve if using a pot) and enjoy.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The trick to making your own teas is in the mixing of types:

Healthy greens - leaves of raspberries, thyme, sage, honeysuckle, or strawberries are flavor full and add depth to tea. This group has the highest vitamins including iron and often the strongest flavors. Many of these leaves can be dried for winter use. Strawberry is usually growing in spring but you can save dried leaves just for this time of year.

Beautiful blooms - bee balm, pansies, nasturtiums (peppery), roses including hips (high in vitamin C), and violets all work and add color. This is nice but winter flowers are hard to find except maybe rosemary that often flowers in winter. Flowers can be dried for early spring use or some can be grown indoors.

Noble fragrances - chives (leaves rise up in snow), rosemary, marjoram, verbena, oregano, geranium and lilac. In fact most herbs add fragrance whether using leaves or flowers. This is why so many are found in this particular list. They also grow early when other plants are still sleeping like thyme, chives and sage. Herbs also carry the most health benefits. These are the few we use but there are many other not mentioned.

Bright tastes - zests of all kinds, such as lemon, orange, or limes all enhance teas. Mints also can lighten a tea and grows early. You can also ream citrus fruits as we discard elements once tea is seeped. It’s faster and easier than running the skins over a fine grater and tea water doesn't mind long strings of zest.

Savory taste - Vanilla bean casing. During Pesach we do not use vanilla extract (unless we make it ourselves). So were vanilla flavor is needed the beans precious seeds are extracted and used. Don’t throw away the hall but save for your flavored tea mixes.

Here is one of my favorite that uses strawberry leaves:

Summer Days Tea

Add equal amount of leaves and flowers but only a tsp of zest per cup.

Raspberry leaves
Strawberry leaves
lemon zest or orange zest
Thyme leaves with and without flowers

This mixture is nice during the cold winter days to remind me that summer will come. Both strawberry and Raspberry leaves dry easily. Thyme freezes and can be also grown indoors in winter in a pot. Pick raspberry leaves before they flower because flowering removes flavor of the leaves. Strawberries can be picked all season long if the bugs don't eat the leaves before you get to them. Gather a lot of leaves if you find you like this tea as I do. They go quickly once the season ends and sadly winter often outlasts these tea stores.

Citrus zest can be taken off fruit whenever you have citrus fruits, before pealing, zest or ream them then dry or freeze them. I keep these in small tins and withdraw what I need them per cup serving these up in my tea ball. Seep the tea for 5 minutes for a mild tea to ten for a stronger tea. Remove ball (or pour through sieve if using a pot) and enjoy.
Thank you for that, copied and pasted to my notes for future reference.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for that, copied and pasted to my notes for future reference.

Enjoy once you get started mix a few of your own. I found many more but I like the one above to drink it in winter because it reminds me of spring. sadly I'm put of leaves, sigh, but that always happens in the spring.

Upvote 0