What are the benefits of reading the bible?

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What does the bible teach us as seekers of truth, if we follow Jesus Christ?

If we stay in the bible and read it daily what does it do for us?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Hebrews 4:12
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Isaiah 55:11
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

John 5:39
39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,

John 6:63
63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.

John 17:17
17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.

Luke 11:28
28 He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”

Psalm 12:6
6 And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times.

Romans 10:17
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, for one thing, it tells us almost everything that is known about Jesus. That right there would seem important to any Christian.

God's will and instruction to mankind, the means by which sinners may find eternal life, the reasons for believing that Jesus was indeed the Savior, the nature of God, the life after physical death, everyday morals to be cultivated and wrongdoing to be avoided. Quite a bit that's fundamental for anybody who considers himself to be a follower of Christ, as a matter of fact!

Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some of the benefits include becoming enlightened with truth, accumulating wisdom, becoming purified.

It teaches us that He is the Truth, and that we must abide in Him to blossom.

I believe it lifts our spirits, as it reminds us of the goodness and greatness of God.
It can also produce fear of God, which is humbling and fruitful.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟37,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The scriptures we apply our devotional time to provide the topic of conversation for extending our time with the Lord. Scriptures launch us into praise, prayer, wisdom, and a sound mind. We grow in intimacy with the Holy Spirit, the Will of the Father, and the knowledge of His Son.
2 Peter 3:18. Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟789,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, Jesus spoke the word (Matt 4 and Luk 4). What better example can we have?

It's part of our armor:
"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:" Eph 6:17

One way God reveals Himself is through His divine names including He is El Shaddai as in Revelation 1:8; 4:8; 11:17; 15:3 and the Lord of Hosts (Psalm 24:7-10, Jer 10:16).

We do our part -
"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt 4:4 Of course, He will help us.
'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rebecca4Christ

Servant
Supporter
Jan 29, 2019
Central U.S.
✟106,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Romans 12:2
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
2 And do not be conformed to this [a]world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and [c]acceptable and perfect.

Upvote 0

Tradidi

Jul 3, 2020
Wanganui
✟2,614.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

What are the benefits of using a sharp knife?

If you are humble and stable enough to get some proper training first, you could use it to operate a person and save his life. If you are proud or unstable and refuse to be properly instructed, you could use it to stab someone (or yourself) to death.

Examples of the first category are the Bereans and the Ethiopian Eunuch. Examples of the second category are some of the Corinthians mentioned just before the Bereans, and the type of people St Peter mentions in 2 Peter 3:16.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Psalm 119:105 (KJV) NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Psalm 119:130 (KJV) The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It doesn't do anything if we don't try to follow the one who is revealed in it. The scriptures can give us an understanding of who Christ is, what he did, and what he taught. But, by trusting in him, in what he did, and trusting him enough to follow (which means doing what he taught) is where you will discover how the scriptures serve their primary purpose.

If you want to see the bible work, pray for God's grace, and then set out to live like Christ. Keep reading, praying, and following and it will do what it was given to do.

Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here are few things it does for us.
I. Keeps us closer to God
II. Its a good measure of spiritual health
III Keeps us on the correct path (narrow road)

I. The more time spent in the bible the more time we are with God and our focus is on things that matter, spiritual things.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God
John 1:14
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us

II. Time spent in the Bible could be a good indicator of our spiritual health. Saved or not. If we are saved we should be craving righteousness which is found in the Bible - can't get enough of it.

Matt 5:6 Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness.
Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night.

III. In today's world of false gospels and false prophets everything should be verified through studying everything the bible has to say about a subject.

Truth is found in the gospel; Gal 2:5,14, Eph 1:13, Col 1:5.
Eph 3:4 When ye read ye may understand.
2 Tim 3:16 All scripture profitable for doctrine, reproof

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you know the Scriptures, it becomes harder to be deceived about them. Not impossible, the devil is very good at what he does, but through right interpretation of the Scriptures, you can sniff him out (Matthew 4:1-11).

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟733,159.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Bible reading is normally coupled with prayer. Jesus said:

Mark 14:38 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

As we spend time with God, be it in specific prayer, or bible reading, we soak in God's character and nature, through the Holy Spirit. By spending daily and consistent time in God's presence we become stronger and can more easily resist sin.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟162,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I used to read it twice a year...for years. Its like a string becoming a rope. It is of incomparable value. You can't measure it. Even I'd dare to say in some ways it's more valuable than bible study, books, and sermons.

Mat 4:4 NIV - 4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

Deu 8:3 NIV - 3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

Isa 55:10-11 NIV - 10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

who would like to share anything ?

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The best thing about Scripture is we are on a search after God’s heart.
It helps us defend our Faith against the world, and can help with hopelessness, when we are down, and joy, when are spirits are up.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Reading words inspired by God is useful to Christians. It can take the form of a prayer or devotional exercise, it can be more of an in-depth study, it can challenge our thinking and force self-reflection and so forth.

Point being, there's no single purpose. Different people get different things out of it. I know and am friendly with people who read the Bible, among other reasons, to be comforted. There are quite a few comforting passages of scripture.

However, I have never read the Bible for comfort. Not once. I've read it for doctrinal purposes or for studying history or to better understand some passage or another or any of a number of other reasons. I get something fairly different out of it than the people with whom I am friendly.

Separately, there's a type of Christian out there who doesn't read the Bible much at all. They hear a little bit on Sunday mornings and, for whatever reason, that's enough for this type of Christian. I'll be controversial here and say I don't have a problem with that. I don't think that every single Christian is necessarily locked into Sacred Scripture. I sometimes think well-intentioned Christians put too much pressure on others to be "in the word" and those without a deep devotion to scripture might feel like they're doing something "wrong" even tho they might not be.

Hope this helps.

• Useful
Upvote 0