Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God is LOVE, He is also the most intelligent.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say he is loving rather than love itself?

Also, how do you know Heavenly Father is the most intelligent?

There are some other attributes of the Mormon god I could list.

- He is exceptionally powerful (enough to create the universe from raw matter eternal matter). He is able to alter things at will and perform miracles.
- He is not all powerful, in that he is reliant on others to do things he himself cannot do. For example, Heavenly Father cannot create human life without a goddess consort. Presumably he is however capable of creating non-human life, male and female, without a goddess consort.
- He has a physical body with visible male anatomy. I am not sure if he has organs or if they work in the fashion our bodies do. Maybe he has divine skin if he appears as a man? I haven't seen a Mormon source talk about this however. But he does have a divine skeleton and his body lacks blood.
- He is eternally existent, but was not always a god. He achieved this via a process unknown to us according to Mormonism.

I'm sure there are other qualities and attributes we can talk of when describing the Mormon God, but I can't think of any more specific ones. Does the god of Mormonism possess the ability to see the future?

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't it be more correct to say he is loving rather than love itself?

Also, how do you know Heavenly Father is the most intelligent?

There are some other attributes of the Mormon god I could list.

- He is exceptionally powerful (enough to create the universe from raw matter eternal matter). He is able to alter things at will and perform miracles.
- He is not all powerful, in that he is reliant on others to do things he himself cannot do. For example, Heavenly Father cannot create human life without a goddess consort. Presumably he is however capable of creating non-human life, male and female, without a goddess consort.
- He has a physical body with visible male anatomy. I am not sure if he has organs or if they work in the fashion our bodies do. Maybe he has divine skin if he appears as a man? I haven't seen a Mormon source talk about this however. But he does have a divine skeleton and his body lacks blood.
- He is eternally existent, but was not always a god. He achieved this via a process unknown to us according to Mormonism.

I'm sure there are other qualities and attributes we can talk of when describing the Mormon God, but I can't think of any more specific ones. Does the god of Mormonism possess the ability to see the future?
God has many attributes the main one being LOVE:

(New Testament | 1 John 4:8 - 16)

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Yes God can see the future:

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 130:6 - 8)

6 The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth;
7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.
8 The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.
But he's not literally love right? Love preexisted him, within Mormonism right?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
But he's not literally love right? Love preexisted him, within Mormonism right?
You said: "But he's not literally love right?"
Good point.

God is eternal, so are we so nothing preexisted Him or us.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The phrase sounded fimilar
Leviticus 24:8Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the Lord continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You said: "But he's not literally love right?"
Good point.

God is eternal, so are we so nothing preexisted Him or us.

If he was a man at some point, other gods pre-existed him. correct?
That would mean he is not without a beginning. correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
If he was a man at some point, other gods pre-existed him. correct?
That would mean he is not without a beginning. correct?
We are all eternal:

(New Testament | 2 Corinthians 5:1)

1 FOR we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, God LOVES every one of His children.
Well, no one doubts that. I simply question whether or not his love extends to the wider circle of humanity above and to the side of him. Does he love his brother and sister just as much as he loves us? Does he love his father? Does he love his grandfather? Does he love his great grandfather? It goes on for infinity. I don't see any reason to suppose Heavenly Father is capable of loving an infinite amount of people or gods besides him. This makes his love limited, no? Presumably he cannot love the children of other gods as much as he loves his own.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Well, no one doubts that. I simply question whether or not his love extends to the wider circle of humanity above and to the side of him. Does he love his brother and sister just as much as he loves us? Does he love his father? Does he love his grandfather? Does he love his great grandfather? It goes on for infinity. I don't see any reason to suppose Heavenly Father is capable of loving an infinite amount of people or gods besides him. This makes his love limited, no? Presumably he cannot love the children of other gods as much as he loves his own.
Members of the Church of Jesus Christ do not concern ourselves with other gods as much as you do. Our God is for us alone and we are for Him alone. His loves His children with a Godly love. Any conjecture beyond that is foolish on our parts. We do not know what his association is with other Gods. It is unimportant to us.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure that there is anything God does not LOVE. After all He created everything. That being said, does everything LOVE God?

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Members of the Church of Jesus Christ do not concern ourselves with other gods as much as you do. Our God is for us alone and we are for Him alone. His loves His children with a Godly love. Any conjecture beyond that is foolish on our parts. We do not know what his association is with other Gods. It is unimportant to us.
I know you don't care about and love the other gods. I only bring them up to suggest that heavenly Father's love does not seem to extend to all of them. Thus we see heavenly Father's love is limited and not all encompassing.

This is a conversation about the attributes of the mormon God and I suppose gods as a whole. What I am finding is that the Father is very powerful, but he is constrained by his own nature and the laws of the universe. If you disagree, tell me why I am wrong.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure that there is anything God does not LOVE. After all He created everything. That being said, does everything LOVE God?
Actually he didn't create everything. He was presumably the product of a heavenly father himself and two humans who created him. If he was anything like a normal person before he was a God, he probably hated some people who slighted him and at the very least wouldn't have been capable of loving his Father as much as his Father loved him. But Mormons cannot even confirm if Heavenly Father loves the other gods. Maybe he is even in competition with them.

Thus there appears to be a limit in Heavenly Father's capacity for love. At least when we think about the wider context he exists in. I agree he is extremely loving toward us, but that seems to be the limit of his love. His immediate family and those who are under him.

• Winner
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Actually he didn't create everything. He was presumably the product of a heavenly father himself and two humans who created him. If he was anything like a he exists in. I agree he is extremely loving toward us, but that seems to be the limit of his love. His immediate ormal person before he was a God, he probably hated some people who slighted him and at the very least wouldn't have been capable of loving his Father as much as his Father loved him. But Mormons cannot even confirm if Heavenly Father loves the other gods. Maybe he is even in competition with them.

Thus there appears to be a limit in Heavenly Father's capacity for love. At least when we think about the wider contexfamily and those who are under him.
I believe He LOVES the animals, birds, fishes, insects, and plants, after all He created them. Of course you are right that He did not create everything as He did not create Himself. Some things have always existed. I don't have enough information to know if there is any hate towards anyone in God or not. There is this scripture:
(Old Testament | Deuteronomy 16:22)

22 Neither shalt thou set thee up any image; which the LORD thy God hateth.

But an image is inanimate.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe He LOVES the animals, birds, fishes, insects, and plants, after all He created them. Of course you are right that He did not create everything as He did not create Himself. Some things have always existed. I don't have enough information to know if there is any hate towards anyone in God or not. There is this scripture:
(Old Testament | Deuteronomy 16:22)

22 Neither shalt thou set thee up any image; which the LORD thy God hateth.

But an image is inanimate.
Well your God is a jealous God. He will not allow his creation to worship their Heavenly mother, Grandfather or any other famial god that exists. I suppose we have to wonder if Heavenly Father is bound to love his Father, in which case, the love he exhibits towards us could not surpass the love he owes to his own Father. Perhaps like Mormons today he doesn't love his Mother as much as he loves his Father.

In all these cases we see limits, naturally imposed on the love of the Mormon God.

I do want to ask you, do agree with my assessment about the power of the Mormon God? That he is extremely powerful, but not all powerful? By virtue of his limits and necessary reliance on relations with a goddess to conceive spirit children?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Well your God is a jealous God. He will not allow his creation to worship their Heavenly mother, Grandfather or any other famial god that exists. I suppose we have to wonder if Heavenly Father is bound to love his Father, in which case, the love he exhibits towards us could not surpass the love he owes to his own Father. Perhaps like Mormons today he doesn't love his Mother as much as he loves his Father.

In all these cases we see limits, naturally imposed on the love of the Mormon God.

I do want to ask you, do agree with my assessment about the power of the Mormon God? That he is extremely powerful, but not all powerful? By virtue of his limits and necessary reliance on relations with a goddess to conceive spirit children?
No one knows how spirit children are created or even if they are created. God is all powerful, but He will not go against His own word. That being said He has the power to make His children equal to Himself.

Upvote 0