Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Islam teaches many things the same as or similar to what Christian does. What are the teachings in Islam which is unique and make Islam separate from Christianity?

This is just a Q/A thread, please refrain from any argument or debate. Thanks.

Let me start it:

Allah: the God of Islam. Other religions also have god or gods. So this is not special.
Prophets: Other religions also have prophets and priests. So this is not special.
Love others: a very common concept.
Pray: Nothing special, even the style and the frequency may vary.

So, what is special about Islam?

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Islam teaches many things the same as or similar to what Christian does. What are the teachings in Islam which is unique and make Islam separate from Christianity?

This is just a Q/A thread, please refrain from any argument or debate. Thanks.

Let me start it:

Allah: the God of Islam. Other religions also have god or gods. So this is not special.
Prophets: Other religions also have prophets and priests. So this is not special.
Love others: a very common concept.
Pray: Nothing special, even the style and the frequency may vary.

So, what is special about Islam?
Allah is the God of Abraham. So also the Christian God and the Jewish God. Just a different language's word for "God".

As I understand it, they don't believe in the triune nature of God. Nor do the Jews, AFAIK.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While Islam accepts Jesus as a Prophet of Allah, they reject the idea that He was God made human, and they also reject that He died on the cross and rose again.

That position, as far as I know, is unique to Islam.

Islam is the only religion that believes that Allah is the name of God (just look at their main statement of faith: "There is no God but Allah...", it is obvious from this statement that Allah is a name, not a generic designation) and accept Mohammed as Allah's Prophet.

Islam also claims that the Quar'an is the final authoritative Scripture from God.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
While Islam accepts Jesus as a Prophet of Allah, they reject the idea that He was God made human, and they also reject that He died on the cross and rose again.

That position, as far as I know, is unique to Islam.

Islam is the only religion that believes that Allah is the name of God (just look at their main statement of faith: "There is no God but Allah...", it is obvious from this statement that Allah is a name, not a generic designation) and accept Mohammed as Allah's Prophet.

Islam also claims that the Quar'an is the final authoritative Scripture from God.

Allah is the only god to Islam. Of course, in that situation, Jesus can not be a god.
This is normal.

Islam is a monotheistic religion.
That is fine.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you're really looking for. Their theology is different than Christianity, Judaism, or other monotheistic religions. Different ideas about what they have to do in this life and such. I mean, you could argue that there's nothing unique about Judaism or Christianity if you boil it down to the absolute core.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you're really looking for. Their theology is different than Christianity, Judaism, or other monotheistic religions. Different ideas about what they have to do in this life and such. I mean, you could argue that there's nothing unique about Judaism or Christianity if you boil it down to the absolute core.

For example: Trinity is a unique doctrine in Christianity. The coming of Jehovah to establish a Jewish kingdom is a unique doctrine in Judaism. Many behavior codes are also unique in Judaism. Reincarnation is a special idea for some religions. Others like the forbidden of marriage, etc. etc.

What is unique in Islamic doctrine?

I may come up with one: Very severe physical punishments should be given to violators of doctrine. The reason for doing that should be a special one. But I don't know what it is.

Another one: the hijab and veil for women is a unique feature. The reason behind this should also be unique. Sometimes it is the woman's fault if she got raped. I think this idea could be called a special one. To enlarge this: I think the relationship between man and woman is kind of special in Islam. I can not say what they are and what they are based on.

What else?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
For example: Trinity is a unique doctrine in Christianity. The coming of Jehovah to establish a Jewish kingdom is a unique doctrine in Judaism. Many behavior codes are also unique in Judaism. Reincarnation is a special idea for some religions. Others like the forbidden of marriage, etc. etc.
Messiah not "Jehovah" as I assume you mean that name to be G-d and we don't believe Messiah will be G-d but a man.

What is unique in Islamic doctrine?

I may come up with one: Very severe physical punishments should be given to violators of doctrine. The reason for doing that should be a special one. But I don't know what it is.

Another one: the hijab and veil for women is a unique feature. The reason behind this should also be unique. Sometimes it is the woman's fault if she got raped. I think this idea could be called a special one. To enlarge this: I think the relationship between man and woman is kind of special in Islam. I can not say what they are and what they are based on.

What else?

I'd ask my uncle if he was still alive. He converted. There are behaviors in Islam that are forbidden such as drinking alcohol. I also do note that some rights were granted to women that were explicitly granted in other religions.

Upvote 0

AskTheFamily

Mar 14, 2010
Ottawa
✟14,900.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
These things I find unique in Islam:

1. The way God talks in an eloquent manner in the Quran. This eloquent admonishment has an effect on the soul like no other book in my view.
2. The emphasis to disbelieve in the "Taghut" and the concept of the Taghut discussed in the Quran and how it's a false authority produced by dark effects on the heart.
3. The daily connection (The Salah), if you understand the wisdom behind Salah, and you feel the effect of bowing and prostrating and therein you battle against evil of your self to show sincerity to God, and your attempt to draw close to God, then this daily program is unique thing in Islam that once you understand the wisdom of it, you will see it's worth the Creator revealing a revelation for.
4. The station of a spiritual guide and companion in the journey to God in all times, and uniting his rope in all times with the rope of God so all can hold on to him to hold on to God I find uniquely emphasized in Islam.
5. The purity and free from evil that his chosen exalted friends are as well as the most praiseworthy possible path of certain chosen ones of the exalted servants he has chosen, I find uniquely emphasized in Islam.
6. Love and attachment to the best of creation being a path towards God and the means towards his pleasure.
7. The emphasis on travelling from darkness of the self to the light of God such that there is a whole ritual to signify this commitment and journey to God (ie. Hajj).
8. The beautiful Names of God and the degree of their presence in the holy chosen souls, and they being the means to guide us to the truth of them inwardly and outwardly.
9. The political will to help oppressed and stand up against oppressors and fight in God's way where it's necessary, I find uniquely emphasized in Islam.

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One unique belief in Islam is that Mohammad is the final prophet. Other religions will not believe that Mohammad was a prophet sent from God. This belief in Mohammad as the messenger of God leads to reintepretation of earlier prophets, like the words of Moses and Jesus. When the Bible does not agree with the Quran, the claim is that the Bible has changed - not that Muhammad misunderstood or changed the messages of the older prophets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One unique belief in Islam is that Mohammad is the final prophet. Other religions will not believe that Mohammad was a prophet sent from God. This belief in Mohammad as the messenger of God leads to reintepretation of earlier prophets, like the words of Moses and Jesus. When the Bible does not agree with the Quran, the claim is that the Bible has changed - not that Muhammad misunderstood or changed the messages of the older prophets.

After study of the Quran, it is rather clear Muhammad view the Bible as a trustworthy source, word of God, as in most of the places in Quran where Torah or Gospel is mentioned, it tells people of the book to follow Torah or Gospel, tells Muslims (when in doubt of Muhammad) to ask the people of the book to confirm him.

It is the modern Muslims (Baha' excluded) that claim the Bible is corrupted, because if you study them carefully, they contradict each other, not just small things (i.e. where Jesus was born), but in message (i.e. should pick up the sword and fight for God, or let God fight for you).

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

1. The way God talks in an eloquent manner in the Quran. This eloquent admonishment has an effect on the soul like no other book in my view.

What do you mean by that? Could you give an example?

2. The emphasis to disbelieve in the "Taghut" and the concept of the Taghut discussed in the Quran and how it's a false authority produced by dark effects on the heart.
3. The daily connection (The Salah), if you understand the wisdom behind Salah, and you feel the effect of bowing and prostrating and therein you battle against evil of your self to show sincerity to God, and your attempt to draw close to God, then this daily program is unique thing in Islam that once you understand the wisdom of it, you will see it's worth the Creator revealing a revelation for.
4. The station of a spiritual guide and companion in the journey to God in all times, and uniting his rope in all times with the rope of God so all can hold on to him to hold on to God I find uniquely emphasized in Islam.
5. The purity and free from evil that his chosen exalted friends are as well as the most praiseworthy possible path of certain chosen ones of the exalted servants he has chosen, I find uniquely emphasized in Islam.
6. Love and attachment to the best of creation being a path towards God and the means towards his pleasure.
7. The emphasis on travelling from darkness of the self to the light of God such that there is a whole ritual to signify this commitment and journey to God (ie. Hajj).
8. The beautiful Names of God and the degree of their presence in the holy chosen souls, and they being the means to guide us to the truth of them inwardly and outwardly.
9. The political will to help oppressed and stand up against oppressors and fight in God's way where it's necessary, I find uniquely emphasized in Islam.

Thanks a lot. Each of these items on the list would take me a good while to digest. Your reply made this thread worthwhile.
Thank you.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Yes indeed. The role of Mohammad in Islam is unique when compared with all other religions.

However, I don't really understand the significance of having Mohammad in the whole theology. Why is such an critical person needed in Islam? What if there were no Mohammad? Could Allah have an alternative? Why not?

Upvote 0