What are some surprising ways God has spoken to you

Annner

Dec 28, 2012
✟24,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Through nature, while exercising, etc. What are some unexpected and surprising ways God has spoken to you?
What an interesting thread. I love to hear all the different ways he speaks to his people. He makes himself known in so many wonderful ways, and he lets u know its Him!

He has spoken to me in many many different ways.
Mainly through his Word, fellow Christians, dreams, circumstances, closing and opening of doors, prayer and fasting, sermons, discernment, times of personal turmoil, even looking up at the sky and seeing his glory.
I think His Word is the main way, its loud and clear and goes right to your heart. I love hearing from Him. It excites me to no end!

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So far, I think the most 'surprising' way for me has been when the Holy Spirit has deposited a verse of Scripture in my mind ... (a verse that I do not recall ever hearing, or even knowing!) ... at a very needful and relevant time.

Then also, I am an avid reader. When I look back on my spiritual journey, I can see how the Holy Spirit has lead me to read certain spiritual books (and to 'revisit' some of them again ... sometimes more than once ... and at different times in my life) that contain some truth He is wanting me to learn.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I once was in a coffee shop in Europe and was fretting, kind of even pouting over an upcoming trip to Africa. I was not there but for 5 minutes when I heard the TOTO song singin "I bless the rains down in Africa." It broke me down, and let me know things were going to be OK. Sure it could have been coincidental, but I have seen God often use circumstances, and various kinds of divine appointments to get people moving in His direction.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
He speaks to me through many different ways, including dreams, visions, prophecy, words of knowledge etc.
Receiving direction from the Lord, and hearing him speak, should be the norm for all believers. That's been my experience for over 50 years.

Far too many Christians want to put God in a box, foolishly limiting him to only quoting scripture at us. ie. "If its not written in the bible, it can't be God."

The vast majority of words and revelations I have received have been around the normal adventures of life, like buying a house and have nothing whatsoever to do with theology or doctrine.
In fact every single house move (8 times) I have done since the late 70s has been directly led by God speaking one way or another.
He has also given words of knowledge, visions and dreams to direct me in my business ventures. He has also got me out of many a disaster, and even saved my life from a crash with a timely word of knowledge when I'm driving at night.

I could not function without the Lord directing my path in one way or another

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I am sure the majority accept that Satan, along with his horde of demons, is a deceiver, and can lead people astray. Just think for a moment of how else such demons can deceive people unless they can whisper in the ears of their targets.
How many times do we hear criminals in court claiming that they heard voices telling them to do such evils?
Even myself, I have caught myself on the receiving end of such whispers. This happens when I have been offended in some way and all the thoughts of retaliation or vengeance flood through my head, then suddenly I realise that my thoughts have been invaded by demonic whispers.
We are commanded to "Take every thought captive....." But how many are taken captive by thoughts, their own, or demonic whisperers?

And its no good the legalists claiming that it can't be God unless it's found in the bible. Satan is a top class theologian, as Jesus illustrates in his temptation. Satan and his demons are masters at fooling legalists that they are doing God's will because they sourced their ideas from bible verses.

My point being, those who use theology to silence the voice of God today, have left the field wide open for demons to speak freely to them and others!

It is urgent that all believers learn to discern the voice of the spirit, be it evil spirits or the Holy Spirit. To deny the reality of such things is to deny our true spiritual heritage, and leaves believers in as weak state as unbelievers.

• Informative
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I once was in a coffee shop in Europe and was fretting, kind of even pouting over an upcoming trip to Africa. I was not there but for 5 minutes when I heard the TOTO song singin "I bless the rains down in Africa." It broke me down, and let me know things were going to be OK. Sure it could have been coincidental, but I have seen God often use circumstances, and various kinds of divine appointments to get people moving in His direction.

I really enjoyed reading your post.
It reminded me of the times that God has also spoken to me with a song.

It does seem the Lord knows how to best 'speak' to us, in any given moment.
And yes, He surely does sometimes use songs!

In the times He has used a song with me, it has also been 'to encourage'.

(Our God is an Awesome God!)

• Friendly
Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think to me the most surprising way (and there have been a few) Ive heard God speak to me is while watching a video game. The game is rather unimportant but what is relevant here is what was said. A character said that (in a nutshell) we shouldnt stress over any decision really, because ultimately our decisions align us with the Creators will. I dont know how or why, but it felt as though God was telling me to stop worrying so much and just trust.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
After 35 years of talking with God like He is really real works for me, like for example how a little child speaks to his mother when he comes home from school telling her everything that happen at school that day. He cares about everything even little things like food, fellowship, when to go to church and when to stay home.
The best times have been when a bright light shows up shinning all around you and your feel His love and His presence and you receive instructions how to stay in tune with Him.
He will let you make a mistake in order to teach you a lesson and when you cry out Lord why didn't you warn me? He might answer back because you wouldn't listen.

Draw closer to God and He will draw closer to you, but remember if that ole devil couldn't deceive you he wouldn't try.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I love encouraging or teaching new believers to listen for the voice of God, its so easy and they start with no hang ups.
Sadly, over many years, it has always been my hardest task teaching long time christians to hear that voice of the Spirit. They are so riddled with "churchianity" that our first task is often deliverance from many church going religious demons.

Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Through nature, while exercising, etc. What are some unexpected and surprising ways God has spoken to you?

The unexpected and surprising way that God has spoken to me when a leader in the church ask me about a testimony!
I don’t know what is a testimony then. I didn’t know what I can share. Week after week the leader pressed me for a testimony since I was a newborn Christian. Since I didn’t know he said, “you pray to the Lord and ask Him.“
That was what I did I pray. Every Saturday evening, when I went to the fellowship, I knew that leader would ask me again; one Saturday, when I prayed in the church. The Lord give me a vision that my life is like a cup in a desert, and suddenly from above the clouds pour living water till the cup overflows and I was filled with joy that I never tasted before. Yes, overflowing joy ! My body cannot withstand such joy. From then, I knew I am serving a Living God.

Eventually, after this personal spiritual experience, I found this written in the Holy Scripture:

Whoever believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" -John 7:38

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Once I was really worried about a situation and was praying fervently to the Lord. The answer came in three parts, someone I was in AOG with sent me an email 'God wants you to read the book of Amos'. The same day I was at the old folks lunch club where I was a helper, the winning question was 'What prophet was a Shepherd from Tekoa?'- answer Amos. Then when I got home and oped the bible it popped open at Amos 7:6 'This will not happen'.

And it did not happen.

But I learned that the Lord confirms his word so that you are sure that it's Him speaking. It would be possible to misinterpret a word, wishful thinking etc. But when the Lord gives a word you can rely on it.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once I was really worried about a situation and was praying fervently to the Lord. The answer came in three parts, someone I was in AOG with sent me an email 'God wants you to read the book of Amos'. The same day I was at the old folks lunch club where I was a helper, the winning question was 'What prophet was a Shepherd from Tekoa?'- answer Amos. Then when I got home and oped the bible it popped open at Amos 7:6 'This will not happen'.

And it did not happen.

But I learned that the Lord confirms his word so that you are sure that it's Him speaking. It would be possible to misinterpret a word, wishful thinking etc. But when the Lord gives a word you can rely on it.

God Bless :)

Don’t worry about misinterpret things. Just pray : Lord Jesus Christ, leads me on the right paths for the sake of Your name. Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"unexpected and surprising ways". I think the classic answer we will find after this life is how many time He did reach out so many different ways and we missed it :)

You said unexpected and surprising. I want to think of one that I believe falls into this category. I LOVE I mean I LOVE music. I am 59 and.. never changed. I duh listen to all kinds of Gospel.. any kind from classic, pop, rock, rap, and hymns .. you name it. Now what happens is.. it has happen more times then I can count. Listening to music (Christian) while I am chatting with someone in post like this and as I am typing the exact same words in some song is playing. And it is SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to explain this to someone. And every time its never for me but to the one talking to.

Talking about music.. I pray this is ok. When I was 15 I think I had a dream. In the dream I saw my self and I had a huge smile on my face and that me lol turned to the right looking up. So I looked up and the sky was full of stars.. a deep blue color everywhere. And then from the right to left these angels were flying over head singing. Almost scared to say.. the music.. it was like there was but was no instruments. It was strange. Oh but the music.. haha I called a friend that ran a bible study to PLEASE pray.. oh I wanted to hear that again. NEVER in my life heard such beautiful music.

And I am 59.. still asking to hear it again :)

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lately Gods been bringing things to mind,painful memories of being bullied and etc,
and using them to remind me of how he has always been there for me and seen me through every trial and conflict in my life.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lately Gods been bringing things to mind,painful memories of being bullied and etc,
and using them to remind me of how he has always been there for me and seen me through every trial and conflict in my life.

Hello sunshine. Being bullied is a terrible thing, I know, but God works in all things for the good (Romans 8:28). People who have been bullied have an exceptional compassion for the needy, for the weak in the body. They are truly the ones who can fulfill our Lord's command in Luke 14:12-14. God Bless :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lately Gods been bringing things to mind,painful memories of being bullied and etc, and using them to remind me of how he has always been there for me and seen me through every trial and conflict in my life.

Hi sunshine! :blush:
I agree with what lismore has shared with you.

And in thinking on this, these verses came to mind ...

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, Who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. ... "

~ 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

May God continue to bless you :hibiscus:

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello sunshine. Being bullied is a terrible thing, I know, but God works in all things for the good (Romans 8:28). People who have been bullied have an exceptional compassion for the needy, for the weak in the body. They are truly the ones who can fulfill our Lord's command in Luke 14:12-14. God Bless :)

Thanks so much and I know God has used it for his glory,I am very compassionate to everyone and always treat others how Jesus is to us.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0