What are some good books for kids? Like the Chronicles of Narnia...

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Some of Madeline L'Engle's books would be for that age group. More are for high school but many middle schoolers would still like them.

Most of the people responding here won't like her, but since the OP was OK with C S Lewis, L'Engle will probably be OK as well.

Based on some of his books, Sigmund Brouwer seems to be a Christian author. I've only read a couple of his books for young adults, although he also has books for younger kids. The two I read aren't explicitly Christian, but are quite good. Both should be used (and the second is explicitly intended to be used) to spark discussions, the first on trust, the second on lying. Dead Man's Switch and No Place to Hide. I'm not sure they would be appropriate for a 10 year old, but an older Middle School kid might like them. Dead Man's Switch got an award. No Place to Hide refers to Sisela Bok's fine book on the ethics of lying, titled "Lying", which wouldn't be for a kid but might be for you.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
One other series by Christian authors that people who like CS Lewis will like and those who don't won't: Lord of the Rings. When I was in school, Lord of the Rings was kind of the equivalent of Harry Potter now. (Actually, Harry Potter's peak may have passed, judged by what I hear from my middle school Sunday School kids.) Tolkien was a friend of Lewis, and definitely a Christian. The books in the trilogy are long. They're not slow; they just have lots of episodes. Unless your kid reads quickly, they'd want to do a chapter at a time over a long period. (And reading quickly might not even be the right way to appreciate the Ring trilogy.)

Several people have recommended the Hobbit for younger readers. It's a "prequel" to the Lord of the Rings. That recommendation is traditional, but I didn't find it as interesting as the Lord of the Rings.

I'm not sure whether you're interested in books based on mythology. Susan Cooper has a really nice series, starting with the Dark is Rising, based on Welsh mythology. I don't think of it as occult, but some people might.

Upvote 0

HisGraceIsAllYouNeed

I am a slave to righteousness
Oct 1, 2018
The Midwest
✟9,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some of my favorites over the years:

The Ascendance Trilogy
by Jennifer A Nielsen

The Last Sin Eater
by Francine Rivers (slightly older kids)

The Hobbit
by JRR Tolkien

Mara, Daughter of the Nile
by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

The Book Thief (older kids??)
by Markus Zusak

The Witch of Blackbird Pond
by Elizabeth George Speare

An Old-Fashioned Girl
by Louisa May Alcott (One of my ALL time favorites)

Louis L’Amour novels (if you’re a western fan)

Rebecca
by Daphne du Maurier (older kids)

Fin’s Revolution series
by A.S. Peterson

Salt to the Sea
by Ruta Sepetys (older kids)

Johnny Tremain
by Esther Forbes

There’s always Nancy Drew....

The Scarlet Pimpernel
by Baroness Orczy

Where the Red Fern Grows and Summer of the Monkeys
by Wilson Rawls

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
by John Boyne

Treasure Island and Kidnapped
by Robert Louis Stevenson

Baby Island
by Carol Ryrie Brink

The Robe
By Lloyd C. Douglas

Hope some of these help :)

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What about the BSC series?
Have you read the Heartland/Chalet School books too? Those are good books for children to read. When I was a child I enjoyed reading Charlotte’s Web and Chinese Cinderella as well.
For more book suggestions please check out this link- https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_books

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a child I loved Enid Blyton books such as
The Enchanted forest, The Magic Faraway tree, Folks of the Faraway tree. Also the Wishing chair books.
Apart from my favourite books being the Chronicles if Narnia, my other favourite was National Velvet.
Then I read every horse book I could.

I think that nowadays you have to be so much more careful with the contents in books and not only children's books.
I used to like reading light books for a bit of relaxation but have now given up as they pretty much have anti Christian living in all of them.
A reflection of society:(

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a child I loved Enid Blyton books such as
The Enchanted forest, The Magic Faraway tree, Folks of the Faraway tree. Also the Wishing chair books.
Apart from my favourite books being the Chronicles if Narnia, my other favourite was National Velvet.
Then I read every horse book I could.

I think that nowadays you have to be so much more careful with the contents in books and not only children's books.
I used to like reading light books for a bit of relaxation but have now given up as they pretty much have anti Christian living in all of them.
A reflection of society:(

I love horse books

Upvote 0