What are some examples of selfish ambition?

※※♡Rose○Gold○Macaron♡※※

Jesus is sweeter than macarons.
Mar 12, 2020
Carterville Illinois
✟36,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Okay, so I wondered this for a while. When I read this verse Galatians 5:19-21 "Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." I don't remember what verse had selfish ambition wrote but it could have been a different translation, but regardless, my question is, what does the Bible mean by selfish ambition? I am looking for some very good examples of this sin so I can get a better understanding, so I can try to avoid that sin.

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Okay, so I wondered this for a while. When I read this verse Galatians 5:19-21 "Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." I don't remember what verse had selfish ambition wrote but it could have been a different translation, but regardless, my question is, what does the Bible mean by selfish ambition? I am looking for some very good examples of this sin so I can get a better understanding, so I can try to avoid that sin.

Eat only fish that has both scales and fins.

Fins are what drive a fish, they represent ambition.
Scales are what protect a fish they represent integrity.

Ambition combined with integrity is good.

Ambition without integrity is not so good.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Right here:

1 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly... 13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice (James 3:1, 13-16).

The reference was specifically to wanting to be "somebody" in the church; a great teacher. It was causing them to curse one another with their tongues when someone refuted the doctrines they were teaching, because they cared more about their image than others.

Who told you you had a problem with selfish ambition?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Original sin was putting our will ahead of the will of God. Self. Self interest is the default setting of mankind (our animal instinct actually), where self comes before considering others, hence the errors mentioned in the 10 C's. All sins serve self and seek gain at the expense of others, but of course man takes it upon self to redefine the definition of good and evil to suit our own purposes and delude ourselves we are actually the good guys.. Jesus said to love all as self. In putting others first we no longer focus on self.

Want examples of self interest? Turn on the news and look at all the examples.

Upvote 0

※※♡Rose○Gold○Macaron♡※※

Jesus is sweeter than macarons.
Mar 12, 2020
Carterville Illinois
✟36,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Who told you you had a problem with selfish ambition?[/QUOTE]
No one did. I was just wondering what selfish ambition is so I can try to avoid it, meaning, so I won't commit that sin willfully.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Let me give you an example from the Bay, People lived here for generations. Then the tech boom hit, making housing scarce and rent skyrocket. The people coming for these jobs often don't care, blame the growing homeless problem on the homeless people themselves, move into neighborhoods where families that have lived there for generations get evicted to make room for million dollars condos. There is little regard for destruction of neighborhoods, people forced to live in cars or tents, and as one rider said to his friends in my Lyft: "I can't wait for the recession so we can buy up property!"
Yeah, at the expense of 1000s of people, Brice.

You can be ambitious, even wealthy, without harming others.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Let me give you an example from the Bay, People lived here for generations. Then the tech boom hit, making housing scarce and rent skyrocket.
Buy low sell high! I will bet those people living there for generations loved it when the house they bought years ago increased in price huh? Probably made them rich.
The people coming for these jobs often don't care, blame the growing homeless problem on the homeless people themselves, move into neighborhoods where families that have lived there for generations get evicted to make room for million dollars condos.
People living in the same home for multiple generations usually own the home. People invested in the neighborhood (homeowners) love it when the neighborhood is gentrified. It's those who are not invested in the neighborhood; the renters who have a problem because it forces them to take their rent money somewhere else.
There is little regard for destruction of neighborhoods, people forced to live in cars or tents.
I doubt many of the homeless people in the Bay (one of the most expensive cities in the US) area were ever paying rent there; I doubt these were people who were paying $2000 per month rent for years then when the rent increased to $3,000 due to the tech boom, rather than moving somewhere cheaper they pitched a tent and became homeless; they probably showed up from somewhere else for the perks of being homeless in the Bay Area.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember what verse had selfish ambition wrote but it could have been a different translation, but regardless, my question is, what does the Bible mean by selfish ambition? I am looking for some very good examples of this sin so I can get a better understanding, so I can try to avoid that sin.

2QDMPFFF4ZAJTBUJDMXRIAGSZM.jpg

Upvote 0