What are our opinions about this article?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It seems like everyone and everything is falling away fast. Heck, I have my own recurring sins. It's not like "They're bad, but we're good".

I just see the whole attack on marriage and sexuality as having begun by attacking the sanctity of marriage. The Church has, whatever teachings or conceptions people have of it, de facto given way on the issue of divorce, and the social looseness on adultery and fornication, to say nothing of inappropriate contentography, have crept into the Church with members who see them as "not so bad". Thus we start by bashing sodomy, aka "homosexuality", but that is a few steps further down the road than the traditional "heterosexual" sins. We had to loosen up on them first before "same-sex couples" became even thinkable. Now we are objecting to THAT intrusion into the Church, but, because we won't hold the Christian ideal up as something we are all called to (either celibacy or one marriage lived in faithfulness for life), we must now tolerate these more degraded attacks.

That's why I have sounded like a broken record to some, who haven't seen that connection between the various sins as a chain or domino effect. We can't truly condemn them unless/until we start upholding the Christian ideal in our own lives and exhorting our brothers and sisters in the Church to do so secondarily. We all have sinned. The question is, what are we going to do now? Can we repent of our own sins, keep getting up after falling down, even at the eleventh hour? Can we, in our celibacy or second marriage or whatever after who knows how many sexual sins, from this moment live in faithfulness to it? Or in faithfulness to our first, if our spouse is divorced or deceased? We've lived as if we can't. Maybe we jolly well ought to try.
Truth.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Serious question, why is GOARCH purposely shooting itself in the head? Talk about picking losing battles. Same with floating elevating the disgraced ROCOR monk in the middle of a secular lawsuit. I mean, if you're going to sell out the Church for money and power, at least be smart at it.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had to do that once. the mom clearly told me she wouldn’t bring the kid to Church.

then she got the grandmother involved….it wasn’t pretty.

Ooooooo. . . I bet that got ugly!! Sheeeesh!

Upvote 0

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Alas, AB Elvis has supporters in, surprise surprise, academia! In this essay the Rev. Dr. Nicholas Denysenko, argues it was the right pastoral decision for the baptism. To me he undercuts he argument immediately in the second sentence: "Reactions to the news of the baptism of children of a same-sex couple were predictable." Then why do it? The church is already hopelessly split and you want to split it further? Secondly, he obviously makes no mention of the indefensible deception involved to get use of the cathedral. Finally, he uses verbiage and categories of the decadent West thereby framing the question in such a way as to present the controversy in the arrogant "Enlightened vs caveman" way. He is presenting the defense for the AB for the inevitable scrutiny of the Holy synods.

Public Orthodoxy

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@Johnny Ross

Doesn't really matter at this point what the Abp/EP or their lackeys say, as most of us got them figured out. The EP and GOARCH hierarchy are fast becoming the pariahs of world Orthodoxy by this time.

Regarding this article, it's the same gas-lighting the legacy media does.

"Don't believe what your lying eyes are telling you. Believe our convoluted rationalizations instead, bigot."

As If the Archbishop Didn’t Have Enough Problems — Monomakhos

Last edited:
Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
@Johnny Ross

Doesn't really matter at this point what the Abp/EP or their lackeys say, as most of us got them figured out. The EP and GOARCH hierarchy are fast becoming the pariahs of world Orthodoxy by this time.

I'm just trying to imagine if you were talking about the ROC and how there would be immediate blow back to your assertions with defenders coming out of the woodwork everywhere. The EP vs MP double standard in the online sphere is glaringly obvious.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm just trying to imagine if you were talking about the ROC and how there would be immediate blow back to your assertions with defenders coming out of the woodwork everywhere. The EP vs MP double standard in the online sphere is glaringly obvious.
Believe it or not, I agree.
The demonic forces pushing us towards leftism and anarchy seem to have found their anchors in the Greek Church, and EP, broadly speaking. The demonic forces pushing us towards authoritarianism and totalitarianism have theirs in the Russian Church. Those two extremes almost succeeded in pushing me out of the Church altogether. It is the fact that many people in both Churches do not embrace those extremes, and a lot of help from my English apologists, that have kept me from walking out from the relative darkness in the Church to the total darkness without.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Imagine if you will that there are plenty of Ukraine threads in TAW to talk about the ROC in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums