What are illustrative examples of how the Sabbath can be broken?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've always heard examples of how the Sabbath is not broken, for instance, doing good to others, healing people, etc. However, I realized that I've never heard examples of how the Sabbath can be broken.

Here is a brainstorming of possible options. Can the Sabbath be broken by:
  • doing homework?
  • cleaning the house?
  • cooking?
  • driving a car?
  • paying your taxes?
  • shopping?
  • going to work? (any job, or are there exceptions?)
  • exercising / working out / going to the gym?
  • playing video games?
  • etc.

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I've always heard examples of how the Sabbath is not broken, for instance, doing good to others, healing people, etc. However, I realized that I've never heard examples of how the Sabbath can be broken.

• doing homework?
  • cleaning the house?
  • cooking?
  • driving a car?
  • paying your taxes?
  • shopping?
  • playing video games?
  • etc.
  • doing homework? Yes
  • cleaning the house? Yes
  • cooking? No, but heavy cooking should be done on Friday, the preparation day for Sabbath
  • driving a car? No- I need it to go to church or if I want to go on a nature hike
  • paying your taxes? yes
  • shopping? yes
  • going to work? (any job, or are there exceptions?) Yes, but exceptions are Emergency Services i.e. doctors
  • exercising / working out / going to the gym? yes
  • playing video games? yes

Sabbath is about communion with God and we do this through worship, reading the Bible, Bible studies, nature hikes (enjoying His creations) most of the items you listed can be done on the six days God says we should do all thy work.

Hope this helps and Happy Sabbath.

God bless

Upvote 0

Freth

Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟372,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
We don't have to guess, scripture gives clear understanding on the matter.

Exodus 20:8-11 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Isaiah 58:13-14 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

Matthew 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day.

Nehemiah 10:31 And if the people of the land bring ware or any victuals on the sabbath day to sell, that we would not buy it of them on the sabbath, or on the holy day: and that we would leave the seventh year, and the exaction of every debt.

• Remember it, remember creation and enjoy nature.
  • Keep it holy (nothing secular), worship the Lord.
  • Do not work.
  • Do not do your own pleasure.
  • Do not speak your own words.
  • Do not buy or sell.
  • Do not travel on the Sabbath day for secular reasons.
  • Do the Lord's work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
going to work? (any job, or are there exceptions?) Yes, but exceptions are Emergency Services i.e. doctors

In those situations, if the believer is required to work on Shabbat by his employer; I believe that he should volunteer his services to do the work of our Father, without pay.

This is the message that is preached at my favorite Messianic congregation.

Shabbat shalom.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In those situations, if the believer is required to work on Shabbat by his employer; I believe that he should volunteer his services to do the work of our Father, without pay.

Shabbat shalom.
Great point HARK! I agree.

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's why you prepare for the Sabbath, so that you don't have to rely on someone working for you. Bottle some water, if that's your conviction. Go without electricity, use oil lamps.

Happy Sabbath!
Ye it's really hard to keep it nowdays

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

• doing homework?
  • cleaning the house?
  • cooking?
  • driving a car?
  • paying your taxes?
  • shopping?
  • playing video games?
  • etc.

Sabbath is a day of worship Lev 23:3, Is 66:23

Is 58:13 - no secular activity
13 “If, because of the Sabbath, you restrain your foot
From doing as you wish on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a pleasure, and the holy day of the Lord honorable,
And honor it, desisting from your own ways,
From seeking your own pleasure
And speaking your own word,

So then without trying to micro manage anyone - the question is how much prayer meditation bible study, on things of God is someone actually doing while watching sports, or politics, or shopping or "talking shop"?

How much of that "other stuff" can you do sitting in church without it being sacrilege?

I don't think it would be too difficult to have a sermon or a worship music cd playing in the car while driving - but a lot of other things you list there would be a distraction to worship not a help.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

• doing homework?
  • cleaning the house?
  • cooking?
  • driving a car?
  • paying your taxes?
  • shopping?
  • playing video games?
  • etc.
  • doing homework? Yes, it is melakha
  • cleaning the house? Yes, it is melakha
  • cooking? Yes, prohibited Exodus 16:23
  • driving a car? Yes, it is kindling a fire
    Exodus 35:3
  • paying your taxes? Yes, it is melakha
  • shopping? Yes, it is melakha
  • going to work? (any job, or are there exceptions?) Yes, unless it is for pikuah nefesh (doctor, nurse, etc)
  • exercising / working out / going to the gym? Yes, it is melakha
  • playing video games? Probably, it can take away the sacredness of Shabbat
Technically, using electricity is not prohibited unless it is used to fuel some sort of melakha. You should cease from all creative activities.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic

Shabbat shalom.
That is an interesting point. Reminds me of taking the ox out of the ditch. A lot of work, probably needs quite a few helpers, and it is necessary for the health of the animal.

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Please be kind to the newbie...today, the Sabbath was my granddaughters' birthday party. Big deal, lots of family and friends, but at one of those game type places like Doug & Buster's. I didn't participate in much other than being social with the family I haven't seen in a little while and holding my baby granddaughter. Is that considered breaking the Sabbath? I also attended church, took my dog for a walk and took a nap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Please be kind to the newbie...today, the Sabbath was my granddaughters' birthday party. Big deal, lots of family and friends, but at one of those game type places like Doug & Buster's. I didn't participate in much other than being social with the family I haven't seen in a little while and holding my baby granddaughter. Is that considered breaking the Sabbath? I also attended church, took my dog for a walk and took a nap.

God bless you! Everyone needs to get through these scenarios and God is not looking to chop your toes off as soon as something comes up that you don't have a clear answer to. Family and friends are important and reaching them is better than insulting them.

I have been in places where everyone did not know that I was SDA or if they did - they did not know what all was involved with that. I give them grace. For example one of my not-so-religious neighbors sees me and my family out for a Sabbath afternoon walk - he drives up and starts talking about work he has been doing on his truck. I don't cut-him-off, I am polite and try to change the subject at a good spot - to something about the Bible, witnessing to Muslims, or the health of a family member or to see if we can pray for him on anything.

Normally SDA churches do not have a point where they go over who can nap, or walk their dog, or talk to a family member who is not SDA on Sabbath etc. All that is between each person and God and not something we judge other people about. Sabbath is a blessing - it is not for playing "line judge" on each other.

God loves you and God loves your family - As they come to realize what your new position is - they will accommodate you and it is a good opportunity to share truth with them.

You don't want to convey the message "I keep the Sabbath so that means I can insult you and not care about it".

===================

Sometimes when I am on a diet or have some food restriction - and am with friends - someone will ask why I don't eat more of something and I will say "I am trying to cut down" or something. In the same way if someone were walking past my yard on Sabbath and asking "hey are you going to cut your grass today? or "Are you going to work in your garden today?" - I would look for the best way to say "I am keeping Sabbath today" or something like that. (Hoping they will feel comfortable asking me for more info about it).

I try not to use terms like "my Sabbath" because it is in fact God's Sabbath, and I try not to say "my church's Sabbath" for the same reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
You don't want to convey the message "I keep the Sabbath so that means I can insult you and not care about it".

That's the LAST thing I want to do! Most of my family is not Christian so, I extend them grace...and pray for them. I also love them beyond measure, they are the reason I'm alive today...long story, short version, my husband died after a short, intense battle with cancer, and I was pretty much suicidal afterwards. BUT...the thought of my children not having their mother and my grandchildren not having their grandma kept me from doing anything stupid. Its been almost 2 years now and I'm finally back on an even keel. And...forever grateful that God pointed me in the right direction...

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think there is a rule of Sabbath keeping given by Jesus that can modify most of the "rules" of Sabbath keeping. Jesus asked us a question: Is it lawful to do good on the Sabbath? His answer was a resounding yes.

Is it lawful for me to mow my lawn on the Sabbath? No. But is it lawful for me to mow my neighbor's lawn on the Sabbath when I see him physically failing because of the heat? According to Jesus it is.

Is it lawful for me to work on my car on the Sabbath? No. But is it lawful for me to go offer to help my neighbor fix his car because I know he has no mechanical ability and he has the hood on his car up poking around under it? Yes. And because his car isn't running is it lawful for me to run to the local auto parts store and buy his parts for him? The Bible says not to buy or sell, but is it lawful for me to do good on the Sabbath? Once again Jesus says yes.

I think that part about doing good being lawful applies in a lot of areas, not just on Sabbath. Years ago I was a refrigeration service tech and got called to a Chinese restaurant because their walk-in cooler was down. It ended up I needed to order parts and go back the next day with a helper to install them.

It took about 3 hours to do the repair and we finished up at around 1 pm. The old owner was really pleased. He couldn't speak a word of English but he came over to express his gratitude that we had him up and running. Through one of his daughters he expressed his desire to buy both my helper and I lunch. I figured he would ask what we wanted to eat and we would get the choice to order what we wanted so I said yes. Instead he made one of his more expensive meals for each of us and just served it to us. Turns out there was pork in most of it.

I was left with a choice. I could never get the idea through to him that I couldn't eat his offering because of the language barrier. I could either insult that nice old man and his daughters by walking out, or I could bow my head, say the blessing, and eat that meal that was provided out of appreciation and gratitude. I bowed my head, said the blessing and ate every bit of that meal and thanked him for it. When I left that old man had a smile a mile wide on his face. It is lawful to do good unto others.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a rule of Sabbath keeping given by Jesus that can modify most of the "rules" of Sabbath keeping. Jesus asked us a question: Is it lawful to do good on the Sabbath? His answer was a resounding yes.

Is it lawful for me to mow my lawn on the Sabbath? No. But is it lawful for me to mow my neighbor's lawn on the Sabbath when I see him physically failing because of the heat? According to Jesus it is.

Is it lawful for me to work on my car on the Sabbath? No. But is it lawful for me to go offer to help my neighbor fix his car because I know he has no mechanical ability and he has the hood on his car up poking around under it? Yes. And because his car isn't running is it lawful for me to run to the local auto parts store and buy his parts for him? The Bible says not to buy or sell, but is it lawful for me to do good on the Sabbath? Once again Jesus says yes.

I think that part about doing good being lawful applies in a lot of areas, not just on Sabbath. Years ago I was a refrigeration service tech and got called to a Chinese restaurant because their walk-in cooler was down. It ended up I needed to order parts and go back the next day with a helper to install them.

It took about 3 hours to do the repair and we finished up at around 1 pm. The old owner was really pleased. He couldn't speak a word of English but he came over to express his gratitude that we had him up and running. Through one of his daughters he expressed his desire to buy both my helper and I lunch. I figured he would ask what we wanted to eat and we would get the choice to order what we wanted so I said yes. Instead he made one of his more expensive meals for each of us and just served it to us. Turns out there was pork in most of it.

I was left with a choice. I could never get the idea through to him that I couldn't eat his offering because of the language barrier. I could either insult that nice old man and his daughters by walking out, or I could bow my head, say the blessing, and eat that meal that was provided out of appreciation and gratitude. I bowed my head, said the blessing and ate every bit of that meal and thanked him for it. When I left that old man had a smile a mile wide on his face. It is lawful to do good unto others.
Hi Gary,

Happy Sabbath and thanks for sharing...just my thoughts-do you think you could mow your neighbors lawn on Sunday or another day instead of Sabbath? That does not seem like an emergency. If my neighbor needed a ride to the hospital on Sabbath or a storm was coming and their fence blew down and needed an emergency repair so their house would not blow away, I see that as doing good on Sabbath. Things that are work and that are non-emergencies seems like you can be neighborly while still keeping God's Sabbath holy, by offering to help on a different day.

Also, interesting story about the Chinese restaurant. Another thought on it, could you have used that opportunity to witness to the owner by telling him you do not eat foods God deemed as unclean and maybe shown him that scripture in the bible? I know we don't always make the perfect decisions and I am not criticizing you for it, but wondering the outcome if you would have planted the seed for God to do His work later on with the owner. Anyway, food for thought!

God bless!

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Also, interesting story about the Chinese restaurant. Another thought on it, could you have used that opportunity to witness to the owner by telling him you do not eat foods God deemed as unclean and maybe shown him that scripture in the bible? I know we don't always make the perfect decisions and I am not criticizing you for it, but wondering the outcome if you would have planted the seed for God to do His work later on with the owner. Anyway, food for thought!

If I read the story correctly, the owner did not speak English, so attempting to explain would have been useless. Also, in many Asian cultures, refusing food is considered an insult. My DIL is from an Asian country and I learned right quick that any food she offers me is not to be refused. So, I smile and take the food. Fortunately, food from her country is absolutely delicious and mostly beef-based. And giving insult to an Asian person is worse than if you actually hit them. In this case, refusing the food would have probably cost the HVAC business customers. See, the original owner would have told the other ones about the insult and the business would never, ever be contacted again. So, sitting down and eating the food was the correct response to avoid giving insult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If I read the story correctly, the owner did not speak English, so attempting to explain would have been useless. Also, in many Asian cultures, refusing food is considered an insult. My DIL is from an Asian country and I learned right quick that any food she offers me is not to be refused. So, I smile and take the food. Fortunately, food from her country is absolutely delicious and mostly beef-based. And giving insult to an Asian person is worse than if you actually hit them. In this case, refusing the food would have probably cost the HVAC business customers. See, the original owner would have told the other ones about the insult and the business would never, ever be contacted again. So, sitting down and eating the food was the correct response to avoid giving insult.
You’re right, not sure how I missed that!

Reactions: Enilorac
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Gary,

Happy Sabbath and thanks for sharing...just my thoughts-do you think you could mow your neighbors lawn on Sunday or another day instead of Sabbath? That does not seem like an emergency. If my neighbor needed a ride to the hospital on Sabbath or a storm was coming and their fence blew down and needed an emergency repair so their house would not blow away, I see that as doing good on Sabbath. Things that are work and that are non-emergencies seems like you can be neighborly while still keeping God's Sabbath holy, by offering to help on a different day.

God bless!

If someone thinks that mowing his lawn is important enough to him that he starts it in the middle of a hot day rather than waiting until the cool of the morning on the following day it's obviously pretty important to him. It's not my position to judge what he sees as important.

Jesus said the following:
Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets

I do not think that questioning the man's judgment as to when his lawn should be mowed is in keeping with the golden rule. My job as a Christian is to fill his needs, not question his judgment. I don't like my judgment as to when something needed to be done questioned, and therefore I will not question his. To love my neighbor like that is the fulfillment of the law and the prophets. This is the why of Jesus' statement about it being lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

How much can I say I really love my fellow man if I tell him, I see you're having a problem mowing your lawn in this heat. The heat's too much for you but I won't do it now, I'll do it later. To me, that is once again a slap in the face of my neighbor.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Actually, the business side of the equation never even occurred to me. The only thing I based my judgment on was how I would have felt if I had been in his shoes and he would have walked away from my offer of lunch. My actions were predicated on the golden rule, and nothing else.

When I left there I felt the same way I have always felt after giving a Bible study, witnessing for God, etc.... I had that same spiritual "high", and I have never had even a small twinge of conscience over it in the 30 years since. I did the right thing according to my relationship with God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Enilorac
Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
When I left there I felt the same way I have always felt after giving a Bible study, witnessing for God, etc.... I had that same spiritual "high", and I have never had even a small twinge of conscience over it in the 30 years since. I did the right thing according to my relationship with God.

Yes, you did. Never, ever forget "love one another..." and "that you do for the least of these". The business end of it came to me because of having Asian relatives, it's a sort of complicated culture. You absolutely did the absolute right thing though and God saw that you chose to do the right thing instead of give insult. To the man, the meal was a precious gift to you. Just please pray for me at the Mongolian New Year...it is customary to consume alcohol.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If someone thinks that mowing his lawn is important enough to him that he starts it in the middle of a hot day rather than waiting until the cool of the morning on the following day it's obviously pretty important to him. It's not my position to judge what he sees as important.

Jesus said the following:

I do not think that questioning the man's judgment as to when his lawn should be mowed is in keeping with the golden rule. My job as a Christian is to fill his needs, not question his judgment. I don't like my judgment as to when something needed to be done questioned, and therefore I will not question his. To love my neighbor like that is the fulfillment of the law and the prophets. This is the why of Jesus' statement about it being lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

How much can I say I really love my fellow man if I tell him, I see you're having a problem mowing your lawn in this heat. The heat's too much for you but I won't do it now, I'll do it later. To me, that is once again a slap in the face of my neighbor.
I wasn’t suggesting questing your neighbors judgement, just offering alternatives, like saying something like today is God’s Sabbath and I would love to help you out with your lawn, how does tomorrow morning work for you?

Anyway, not looking to debate or question your judgement, just offering another opinion. God bless.

Upvote 0