What are "Human Rights" and where do they come from?

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I contend those reasons you can think of why slavery can be considered wrong, are all subjective reasons. Do you agree?
I agree that "wrong" lives in the subjects mind.

But "bad for human flourishing" is, on balance, an objective criterion. And we can say that about slavery.

• Agree
Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I agree that "wrong" lives in the subjects mind.

But "bad for human flourishing" is, on balance, an objective criterion. And we can say that about slavery.
Would you agree that slavery can be good for the slave owners, as well as those who benefit from the success of the slave owners?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Would you agree that slavery can be good for the slave owners, as well as those who benefit from the success of the slave owners?
Possibly, in a short term sense. But in the long term, it ruins their culture and society. So overall, no.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It ruins their culture and society? By whose standards; yours or theirs? And can you provide objective proof of this?
By the standards of people whos ignorance has been replaced with the facts about what makes the human animal most satisfied.

I could walk you through it. But its a lot of work to hold your hand as we go step by step through this.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
By the standards of people whos ignorance has been replaced with the facts about what makes the human animal most satisfied.

I could walk you through it. But its a lot of work to hold your hand as we go step by step through this.
I'm not asking you to hold my hand or anything, I'm just asking you to provide objective facts to support your claim.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not asking you to hold my hand or anything, I'm just asking you to provide objective facts to support your claim.
Its not like "they" keep stats on this stuff you can just look up on wikipedia. Its the kind of argument that usually takes a book to make.

Consider me unwilling to do the work. Therefore I lose the argument. Oh well. But keep your eyes open to my point as you go through life. See if it pans out as you learn about history and what makes people really satisfied.

Upvote 0

Carlos234

Jan 26, 2019
Los Angeles
✟17,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
This question is addressed particularly to the non-theist. Does human rights actually exist? Or are they merely an invention of our own design? Are human rights objectively established, or are they relative? Or do I dare to say that they are "God given"?
They are God given. In the beginning when man was created there was only battles and misery. Man was completely hopeless when it came to controlling their senses, their mind. The mind consists of negative qualities such as greed, anger, hate, lust, selfishness, ego etc. Man had nothing at their disposal to help them acquire liberation from such animalistic tendencies. So God created several books with which man can use to establish and live peacefully with each other and acquire the ultimate goal of self-realization. These books are called 'The Vedas'.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Its not like "they" keep stats on this stuff you can just look up on wikipedia. Its the kind of argument that usually takes a book to make.

Consider me unwilling to do the work. Therefore I lose the argument. Oh well. But keep your eyes open to my point as you go through life. See if it pans out as you learn about history and what makes people really satisfied.
Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I agree slavery is wrong, I just don't believe the wrong is objective; but subjective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
OK. So why do you think slavery is wrong?
Why do I consider slavery subjectively wrong? Because it goes against my moral code. What do I consider moral? I define morality as the ability to understand the consequences of actions and how they affect me and my neighbor. And it starts from the position that what is helpful to me and my neighbor is good, and what is harmful to me and my neighbor is bad.

It is my view, that whatever good might come from slavery to those who are not enslaved, is outweighed by the harm done to those who are. That is why I view slavery as wrong.

I've got a feeling you are going to disagree; if so tell me where I've gone wrong.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...And it starts from the position that what is helpful to me and my neighbor is good, and what is harmful to me and my neighbor is bad....
Good post, but I want to focus on this part^.

Do you know why you find it good to do helpful things for you and/or your neighbor?

Or is this just a sort of bottom-line inexplicable feeling which objective scrutiny cannot penetrate?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,398.00
Faith
Atheist
Do you know why you find it good to do helpful things for you and/or your neighbor?
Because that is how my species evolved. I can't help but be what I am ... and what I am compels me to cooperate. Why do some not care? Because our behavior patterns fall on a spectrum with most of us bunched in the middle.

• Agree
Reactions: jardiniere
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Because that is how my species evolved. I can't help but be what I am ... and what I am compels me to cooperate. Why do some not care? Because our behavior patterns fall on a spectrum with most of us bunched in the middle.
I do think there's some benevolence written into our code.

But I also think its further written into the culture, as the wise have observed that malevolence, or even indifference, to those around you creates an overall less happy society.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I contend those reasons you can think of why slavery can be considered wrong, are all subjective reasons. Do you agree?

I would most certainly concur with that. While I can point to objective facts in the end the opinion of slavery being wrong is subjective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This question is addressed particularly to the non-theist. Does human rights actually exist? Or are they merely an invention of our own design? Are human rights objectively established, or are they relative? Or do I dare to say that they are "God given"?

Rights...laws...these concepts exist where they are enforced. Until then, they exist as ideas. Once enforced, they become examples of those ideas...examples which exist in more practical terms.

You can dare to say or imagine whatever you like...that doesn't make it true.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,295.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think human rights is subjective and when this is combined with subjective morality then it can be hard to determine where to draw the line regarding what rights should be denied. For example, the right to artistic expression and freedom of the press can allow violence and inappropriate content to be promoted. For one person this may be wrong and a bad influence but for another, this can be just about a persons right to express themselves.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Human rights are a social construct, like a corporation or financial credit. It is a useful fiction that compels us to cooperate in ways that benefit everyone, which would be difficult or impossible to achieve otherwise. They come from the general agreement within a society that humans ought to be entitled to certain courtesies and ought not be denied certain commodities. Most will agree that respecting human rights is a good thing, but if you want to really understand it objectively you must understand that it's not "real."

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Human rights are a social construct, like a corporation or financial credit. It is a useful fiction that compels us to cooperate in ways that benefit everyone, which would be difficult or impossible to achieve otherwise. They come from the general agreement within a society that humans ought to be entitled to certain courtesies and ought not be denied certain commodities. Most will agree that respecting human rights is a good thing, but if you want to really understand it objectively you must understand that it's not "real."

That's true in a sense. But the concept of rights exists only because humans are a social species. Which is a result of how our brains evolved. Rights are real in the sense that--at the most basic level--they're a corollary of our neurobiology. Rights wouldn't exist at all if we lived solitary lives, like pandas, or bears, or sea turtles. And neither would civilization.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's true in a sense. But the concept of rights exists only because humans are a social species. Which is a result of how our brains evolved. Rights are real in the sense that--at the most basic level--they're a corollary of our neurobiology. Rights wouldn't exist at all if we lived solitary lives, like pandas, or bears, or sea turtles. And neither would civilization.
Yes, they are real in the sense that they exert force in the world, but they are not real in the concrete sense that we are real. But that's ok, they don't need to be any more real than they are.

Upvote 0