✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I am sometimes watching the German TV-station TLC which broadcasts American Reality TV-series.
One of them is Gypsy Sisters.
But each time I tune in (usually only when my favourite broadcasting is interrupted by advertisment), I am asking myself what gypsies actually are?
I even had a look into my dictionary and there it says that the Roma-people are meant with it, or in general nomads. But having watched the series, it is clear that this word has to mean something else.

Can anybody explain?

Thanks.

Esdra

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That show is actually about people who claim Gypsy/Roma descent.

The Roma are a people that left Northern India in about the 10th century and gradually migrated west. They followed an itinerant lifestyle as tinkerers or horse traders and remained semi-nomadic into modern times. As they entered Europe in the 14th-16th centuries they largely adopted Christianity, but kept their own language. Gypsy is derived from Aegyptus or Egypt as people in the west initially thought they originated there.
They were disliked by the authorities as they tended not to pay taxes or respect national boundaries and were frequently thought to harbour criminals.
As a consequence there is much discrimination against them historically and the Nazi regime tried to eradicate them in the Holocaust, killing about 300000. There is still discrimination in Eastern Europe against them today.

Gypsies are considered over the top, which is the alternate meaning I think you were looking for.

Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your answer.
So it does have to do with the Roma.
I didn't know that there are Roma in the US, though.

Gypsies are considered over the top, which is the alternate meaning I think you were looking for.

Yes, I guess I have. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your answer.
So it does have to do with the Roma.
I didn't know that there are Roma in the US, though.
Many Roma emigrated to the New World in the 19th century, mostly from Eastern Europe. As a consequence, the US and Brazil have some of the largest populations of Gypsies.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You wrote that the Gypsy Sisters claim to be ascendents of the gypsies? So, they aren't?
No, claim as in 'say they are'. I don't think anyone has checked up on their genealogy. Like if you say the Royal Family of Britain claim descent from the House of Hannover, it doesn't mean you don't believe them, its just a way of speaking.

Upvote 0