• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

What are good food options for Lent?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by David Cabrera, Mar 12, 2019.

1. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+629
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Any diabetic friendly suggestions? I look at rice and my glucose shoots up. I try to stay below 15 grams of carbs per meal.

2. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,135
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    That's is proving to be extremely difficult - I try to stay under 20 grams a day.

Shiritake noodles? (From a Japanese yam). There are a few brands (Joseph's, La Tortilla, Ole) that make tortilla shells and pita bread versions with low carbs (4-6 grams/serving). Skinny Pop popcorn is low carb if you don't count various fibers. A nut-flour based bread?

3. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,263
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    my daughter makes zucchini noodles with a hand driven crank/contraption.
    It turns out pretty well (pun intended).

I'm making an effort to avoid the carb loading. I had a plate of shredded lettuce (not really a salad) with salsa and guacamole today.

4. RobNJ

RobNJ CF Olde Pharte

+2,938
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    In the ancient days, of one of my failed attempts at low carbing :rolleyes: It was before that gizmo was around.. We just used a veqqie peeler and 2 bowls. Bowl 1: use the peeler to get rid of the dark green peels. Bowl 2: just shred off strips of the light green, with the peeler, until you hit seeds. Sloppy looking strips, but useable.

5. Zummi

Zummi ICXC~NIKA

+60
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I just made a delicious Calamari Marinara over Rigatoni for dinner last night!

1 28oz can san marzano tomatoes

1/2 lb calamari rings

5 cloves garlic, slivered

Fresh basil

dried oregano

salt, pepper to taste

First, pour the tomatoes into a big bowl and squish them with your hands yiayia style. Next heat some peanut oil (When it isn't a fast period, use olive oil) in a sauce pot and add the slivered garlic, don't brown or burn the garlic! You just want to release the flavor. Next, add the tomatoes, a stalk of the fresh basil, leaves attached, salt, pepper, and oregano to taste. Let simmer for 1/2 hour to an hour, stirring occasionally. When it isn't a fast period, I also had 1/2 cup of red wine. It's also good to add some crushed red pepper if you want a little kick!

In a separate pan, heat up some more peanut oil and add the calamari. Season with salt and pepper and quickly saute. Don't cook for too long as it will get rubbery! Set aside. When your sauce is done, add the calamari and any juices it produced into the sauce and simmer a few minutes, Serve over pasta and enjoy!

For those who abstain from ALL oil a good substitute is vegetable shortening ;)

6. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,271
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You've all forgotten the first rule of Fast Club, "Don't talk about Fast Club"
    As penance and as an antidote to any potential pride, you must now East a rate steak with bacon, mushroom and cream sauce.

7. ~Anastasia~

+15,135
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I actually have recently gotten a minor contraption to try that. I need to remember to buy zucchini.

Someone suggested sautéing them (I have "butter" made from coconut oil) and it sounds pretty good ... with garlic. LOL I'm hungry ATM.

8. GreekOrthodox

+629
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Do I have to tell anyone that Im having that or do I have to tell the church and let them judge me? :p

9. ~Anastasia~

+15,135
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You have to eat it in front of the Church, and not offer any explanation.

:swoon:

10. GreekOrthodox

+629
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    And I'm okay with that :amen:

11. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,149
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Didn't there used to be a sticky thread in TAW with lots of good Lenten recipes?

12. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,263
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    For St Patty's Day we undertook a spin on a traditional Irish colcannon (potatoes and cabbage).

This dish started with mashed potatoes, so we boiled potatoes, drained the water then added some vegetable broth, salt and pepper and mashed them up.
    I then pan fried some cabbage, we used red, because it was small and added color.
    So far it's traditional, except for the cabbage being red.

Because anything worth doing is worth over-doing; I caramelized a diced-up turnip in the same oil/pan. Then, I sauteed some asparagus, onion and bell pepper.

The mashed potato was put into the bottom of a bowl, then the other items added to taste/stirred in.
    2019_march 001.jpg
    2019_march 002.jpg

13. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+868
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Here's a Lenten Cookbook our parish just sent out.

Attached Files:

14. Kristos

Kristos Servant

+772
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    [​IMG]