Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, I don't even think a good portion of EO's bother skipping the oil. It's pretty much in everything, thus nearly impossible to avoid.

I gotta confess the oil thing really flummoxed me back 20 years or so ago, as a seeker/ inquirer into Orthodoxy. Coming from the Charismatic end of Protestantism, I see oil as a type of the Holy Spirit, so the idea of fasting from it does not have positive connotations! :amen:

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I gotta confess the oil thing really flummoxed me back 20 years or so ago, as a seeker/ inquirer into Orthodoxy. Coming from the Charismatic end of Protestantism, I see oil as a type of the Holy Spirit, so the idea of fasting from it does not have positive connotations! :amen:

Wait, what? What is the significance there according to Protestants? Of oil being the Holy Spirit I mean.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wait, what? What is the significance there according to Protestants? Of oil being the Holy Spirit I mean.

Well you know oil is used in Chrismation etc. It tend to signify the holy spirit. Being called to a ministry of the OT you got anointed with oil poured on your head etc. So the bit of fasting from oil allegorically speaking can sound a bit like "I am doing this in my own power/strength" etc. for those that tend to think it terms of symbolism etc. and there tends to be a lot symbolism in Christian theology in general and not just with Protestants, but interpretations based on typology and symbolism are pretty common among the Church Fathers as a whole. For Protestants Charismatics the only significance is they are especially sensitive to things that deal with the Holy Spirit (even more likely to see that sort of connection or interpretation).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Well you know oil is used in Chrismation etc. It tend to signify the holy spirit. Being called to a ministry of the OT you got anointed with oil poured on your head etc. So the bit of fasting from oil allegorically speaking can sound a bit like "I am doing this in my own power/strength" etc. for those that tend to think it terms of symbolism etc. and there tends to be a lot symbolism in Christian theology in general.

That I was aware of, but didn't realize low church Protestants still held to it. Surprises me actually since most other traditions they disregard.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well you know oil is used in Chrismation etc. It tend to signify the holy spirit. Being called to a ministry of the OT you got anointed with oil poured on your head etc. So the bit of fasting from oil allegorically speaking can sound a bit like "I am doing this in my own power/strength" etc. for those that tend to think it terms of symbolism etc. and there tends to be a lot symbolism in Christian theology in general.

For Protestants Charismatics the only significance is they are especially sensitive to things that deal with the Holy Spirit (even more likely to see that sort of connection).
I hadn't thought of those kinds of connotations (or if I did, I've since forgotten it).

Part of my background was there too. Oil was so commonly used for anointing, etc. (And olive oil generally preferred ime). I can see what you mean ...

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hadn't thought of those kinds of connotations (or if I did, I've since forgotten it).

Part of my background was there too. Oil was so commonly used for anointing, etc. (And olive oil generally preferred ime). I can see what you mean ...

Well at the time I think I assumed the EO had the rule just to make Lent a very strict fast. But in retrospect after having someone bring up this issue on Orthodoxchristianity.net a long time ago, like 2005-2007 the whole issue was questioned, where I learned about the original context of the rule (oil being processed by a leather cheese cloth). So it is a bit of a veiled reference to "putting away the works of the flesh" that you get with other kinds of fasting from meat, and certain liturgical customs like Priests wearing slippers and not sandals or shoes anything made of leather which in Hebrew and Greek terms is a type of Sarx/flesh.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Make a Beyond Burger. Holy Guacamole!! Best vegan non-meat burger you can eat. We eat a lot of lentil soup, chili beans (we use Beyond Meat crumbles), spaghetti (vegan meatballs from Gardein), Chinese stir fry (Gardein mandarin chicken), tacos (crumbles again), vegetable soup, protein shakes with vegan powder, etc.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lots of good suggestions here. Hummus is a huge one for me though it was already suggested.

I've also had tater tots, or hash browns, along with peirogis (just potato, and onion). Potatos are a good one in general for me during these fasts. Also, I eat a lot of stuffed olives, and vegetables in general. One more I make is a burrito with refried beans, garlic, hot sauce, guacomole, rice, and red beans.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How are your cooking skills?

I'm just a notch above novice but I have a few things that I make that have turned out fairly well.
I am living in a dorm and they don't have a kitchen. I only have a fridge and a microwave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fasting means to fast from all that entertain you. To fasting from movies, music, games, food that entertain you. Chocolate is not fasting food.

I said dark chocolate because it's non-dairy. but you are correct that we should never over indulge with fasting foods.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I used a lot of beans and rice, and though there are canned beans, cooked ones are much better (and cheaper). If you are allowed one, an instant pot can cook almost anything, including rice and beans. Pasta with tomato sauce is good and many people like to add eggplant to that.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am living in a dorm and they don't have a kitchen. I only have a fridge and a microwave.
OK, that does complicate things a bit. (Lord, Have Mercy!)

That's the same arrangement I have at work.
"minute" rice. I buy it in a box, not individual servings.
Look for a variety of things to augment the rice. mixed vegetables, vegetarian beans of differing types.
A small bowl of rice with something like this over it, with a bit of seasoning (salt, pepper, "favorite ethnic blend") can be tasty and filling. It's easily done in a microwave.
cornokra.jpeg

I make oatmeal for breakfast in the microwave, heat with water but add a little almond milk when you take it out then sweeten with honey or brown sugar, add some cinnamon..
I use almond milk with cold cereals as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"Amy's" (linkage) has quite a variety of things that are "vegan" and says so right on the label. We get the soups and chili and a few of the frozen meals.
In our grocer, they are not the cheapest item in the soup aisle though..

(edited to add linkage)

Upvote 0

PittBullMom

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2017
USA
✟86,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know the name of it, but it's in the olive bar at most grocery stores...rice wrapped in grape leaves.

Also guacamole and salsa have been great snacks. PB&J..pasta. pasta with marinara, pasta with margarine and salt pepper and garlic.

Rice and beans with fried onions and peppers. Shrimp, crab, clams...

Potato soup, fried potatoes, baked potato

Salad dressing with peanut or Walnut oil

Dole fruit cups and jello, oatmeal packs for breakfast.

Upvote 0

graphite412

Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I actually get a lot of stuff from an oriental market. They normally have wontons that are vegetarian

March 25 is Annunciation and we can eat fish this day)
Lazarus Saturday (caviar is permitted)
  • Peanut Butter
  • Jelly
  • Chips
  • Gardettos/Trail Mixes/Chex Mix (some varieties)
  • Pretzels (soft and hard)
  • Crackers (wheat thins, truscuits, etc)
  • Nuts
  • Salsa
  • Hummus
  • Guacamole
  • Breads
  • Tater Tots
  • French Fries (I air fry pre-made ones from the store)
  • Onion Rings
  • Hashbrowns
  • Waffles
  • Chinese Foods (Some Chinese Foods are vegetarian)
  • Sushi (some varieties)
  • Indian Foods (Some Indian Foods are vegetarian)
  • Veggies (I buy steamable bags)
  • Cliff Bars (These can be found in bulk at Wal-Mart, and I eat a lot of these)
  • Oreos (shockingly!)
  • Ramen Noodles (I think Top Ramen Oriental Flavor is lent friendly, there are tons of options at the oriental market that I shop at)
  • Oatmeal
  • Cereals (most are good)
  • Almond/Soy milk
  • Rice
  • Fruits
  • applesauce
  • Noodles
  • Salad (check vidalia onion, Russian, French, oil and vinaigrette dressings)
  • Tofu (for protein)
  • Mushrooms (for protein)
  • popcorn (air pop, olive oil on weekends, possibly lite)
  • Shrimp
  • Calamari
  • Oysters
  • Crawdads
  • Soups (Lentil, Vegetable, Tomato Basil- which can be brought in cans)
  • Pickles and other pickled vegetables (sometimes delis have anti-pasta salads)
  • Olives (Trader Joe's has a good selection of different kinds)
  • Anti-Pastas
  • Sauces: barbecue, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, steak sauce,
  • Spaghetti (with marinara)

Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,368.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you're in the "starving student" time of life, I would encourage you to keep it simple. Rice and lentils can be cooked in a small rice cooker. Peanut butter if friendly to you can go either savory or sweet. I find that I often must reign myself in from trying to figure out or find good fast friendly things to make. I want to spend this season more in prayer, not thinking about food, (I already do that too much) I need to nourish my body not please it.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0