Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't know so many options.
How are your cooking skills?

I'm just a notch above novice but I have a few things that I make that have turned out fairly well.

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately I am unable to advise because I have just been into a dessert cafe. It wasn't my fault - someone put it in the way!

LOL This IS the Orthodox forum, If it's dessert, and it's vegan enough not to have dairy (or olive oil), it's fair game :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I made this last night (old photo though).
I/we call it Baja Black Beans because it was inspired from something we once ordered in a restaurant called Baja Chicken.
baja_blackbeans.jpg

It is basically four items and not too terribly difficult to make.

1) Rice: we used minute rice in the microwave.
2) black beans: two cans plus some diced onion, a can of Rotel, and seasoned with salt, pepper, chili powder and cilantro. I put it all into a pot and heat it slowly on the stovetop.
3) guacamole: avacado (2 small), tomato (1 small), onion (1 small), cilantro & salt to taste in the food processor. (you can also buy from a store deli)
4) ensalada: diced onion, tomato, pablano pepper, cilantro, lime juice

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know so many options.

Well some of the added problems you have in the EO comes from some ancient rules you have in regards to the use of oil. Oil is off the list because once upon a time olive oil was strained through a leather type cheese cloth. But that practices has been gone for ages, yet the basic fasting rules of the EO are set. In the Coptic church it is a little bit easier ; because, oil is not on the list. So that means that french fries, falafel, onion rings, samosa etc. are available.

I guess you can check the ingredients of things like hummus etc., but chances are they will have some oil. But you can talk to your father of confession about it. If you have a bad time etc. he may not care that much if you are having something with a little oil in the ingredients list.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Well some of the added problems you have in the EO comes from some ancient rules you have in regards to the use of oil. Oil is off the list because once upon a time olive oil was strained through a leather type cheese cloth. But that practices has been gone for ages, yet the basic fasting rules of the EO are set. In the Coptic church it is a little bit easier ; because, oil is not on the list. So that means that french fries, falafel, onion rings, samosa etc. are available.

I guess you can check the ingredients of things like hummus etc., but chances are they will have some oil. But you can talk to your father of confession about it. If you have a bad time etc. he may not care that much if you are having something with a little oil in the ingredients list.

Honestly, I don't even think a good portion of EO's bother skipping the oil. It's pretty much in everything, thus nearly impossible to avoid.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
LOL This IS the Orthodox forum, If it's dessert, and it's vegan enough not to have dairy (or olive oil), it's fair game :D
Ha - speak for yourself. My SF has always insisted I forgo anything sweet/dessert.

:swoon:

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0