• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are " dead works " to you ?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by FrankDux, May 19, 2017 at 11:27 PM.

1. FrankDux

FrankDux Active Member

+178
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    I have first become drawn to this through the " call to maturity " in the Book of Hebrews, usually referred to as 6:2 through 6:4, iirc

To me the call to maturity says to not lay a foundation based on dogmas that have you repenting from things that are not even really based on anything scriptural

6:1 is where it is first used

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

" works " in the concordance simply seems to be " how you conduct yourself " ( To paraphrase )

So what does it mean to you, to " not lay a foundation of repenting from dead works " ?

Do you currently repent from " dead works ", or have you in the past, and how do you define them ?

Specifically, what are " dead works " to you ?

Thanks

2. Anguspure

Anguspure Slave Supporter

+506
    Christian
    Married
    Works that are not carried out from a position of righteousness before God and works that are engaged apart from the Spirit of Christ are like filthy rags and are dead.

3. Adstar

Adstar Well-Known Member

+443
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Dead works are any works someone is doing to buy for themselves eternal life with God..

4. toLiJC

toLiJC Senior Member

+114
    Non-Denom
    Private
    these are the works whose result is destruction/non-salvation

Genesis 2:17 (NIV) "you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.",

Romans 5:12-14 (KJV) "by one man(also: through the generation of the unrighteous spiritual workers/servants) sin(i.e. the devil as well as the system of unrighteousness/wickedness, a.k.a. the kingdom of the evil one) entered into the world, and death(i.e. and the (spirit of) deterioration) by sin; and so death passed upon all men(i.e. and so deterioration affected many humans), for that all have sinned(i.e. because many were seized by the system of (spiritual) unrighteousness/wickedness - some of them as its servants, others as its victims): For until the law sin was in the world(i.e. because the "darkness" was in the universe even until the nascence of human spirituality/religiosity): but sin is not imputed when there is no law(i.e. but there is no sin where there is no spiritual unrighteousness/wickedness). Nevertheless death(i.e. the deterioration) reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression(i.e. even over people that had not committed spiritual lawlessness/wickedness)"

Blessings

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 2:40 AM
  5. Ron Gurley

Ron Gurley What U See is What U Get!

+160
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    "dead works" are those judged by the TRI-UNE GOD to be outside His perfect will...i.e. spiritually USELESS!

And James' preaching, spiritually discerned, is not directly opposed.

..(Saving) FAITH without (spiritually guided and following ) WORKS is DEAD (judged spiritually useless)....

James 2:22
    You see that faith was working with his works,
    and as a result of the works, faith was perfected;

Isaiah 64:6
    For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
    And all our "righteous" deeds (on our own) are like a filthy garment;
    And all of us wither like a leaf,
    And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Hebrews 9:14 (NASB)
    how much more will the blood of Christ,
    who through the eternal (God the Holy) Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God,
    cleanse your "conscience" from "dead" "works" to serve the living God?

dead...Greek 3498...nekros...
    II.metaphor:
    A.spiritually dead
    i.destitute of a life that recognizes and is devoted to God, because given up to trespasses and sins
    ii.inactive as respects doing right
    B.destitute of force or power, inactive, inoperative

works...Greek 2041...ergon...
    ...an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised as opposed to that which is less than work

conscience...Greek 4893...syneidēsis...
    I.the consciousness of anything
    II.the soul as distinguishing between what is morally good and bad,
    prompting to do the former and shun the latter, ...commending one, condemning the other
    A.the conscience (~=Psyche = soul)

6. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,233
    Non-Denom
    Single
    A behavior's motive determines if the behavior qualifies as a dead work or not. If I am preaching the Gospel because I have my eye on a female in church who has caught my attention and I merely want to impress her in a religious way, but I secretly despise the Gospel message, then in relation to my salvation that work is dead.