• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

What About You....... ARE YOU SURE?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by sunlover1, May 24, 2011.

1. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    well you might like chains and whips . but that's not my style .

2. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Its more about faith, humility and love for God.

3. Michael Collum

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    if it's about faith . then it is about trusting God .

but if it is about law . then it is not about faith .

because you're trusting yourself . and not God .

4. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,842
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The 21st century Galatians are set in their beliefs.

5. sheina

sheina Born Crucified

+111
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Actually, it's the 21st century Galatian legalizers who are set in their beliefs!

6. Michael Collum

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    :thumbsup:

7. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican

We're commanded to abstain from fornication and adultery and commanded to love God with all our heart and love our neighbor as ourself. Should we only obey the commandment to love? If we do then we will obey other commandments in the process of loving God and loving neighbor. Many laws are examples of love and they help us learn how to love. If we love God we obey His will that includes abstaining from fornication. There is also law concerning forgiveness, condemning and judging that we're commanded to obey. The motivation for obeying law determines whether its faith or self righteousness.

8. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Is someone teaching Circumcision again?

9. sheina

sheina Born Crucified

+111
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    It wasn't only circumcision...

Acts 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

10. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican

What other law does Paul talk about when hes saying we're free from the law? I don't see Him saying whoever teaches abstaining from fornication or adultery is teaching a false doctrine that voids the cross. Its always circumcision, at least from what Ive read so far anyway.

11. Servant of Jesus

Servant of Jesus Guest

+0
    What a nice topic for a thread! Made me bounce with happiness right away!

I can do nothing but rely on the promises of God:

Romans 8:

38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

What other hope can there possibly be if you don't put your full trust in God?

Despite this trust and hope, though, there are some issues where assurance is an issue:

1. Since I live in a free and prosperous country, I am more blessed in terms of the quality of life on this earth than the vast majority of people. So is this a gift from God that I should humbly enjoy, or does it give me a huge, proportionately greater responsibility to help others? If the latter is true, then I am falling down in my responsibility, and need assurance that I am not letting God down.

2. Despite repentance and the forgiveness that comes through Jesus Christ, I am acutely aware that as a human being, I continue to sin, and need to ask for forgiveness time and time again. So I feel the need for assurance that despite my on-going sin, God is patient and merciful and will continue time and time again to forgive me and maintain a place for me in heaven.

3. I encounter many homeless people when I go to the city and feel guilty at times not helping them. I justify this by believing that if I just give a person on the street a small bit of loose change or a hamburger, I am chaining them to the street- giving them just enough to sustain their lifestyle, without ever helping them to get out of their situation. To make matters worse, there are many agencies out there who have well-developed programs that are truly trying to wean people out of inappropriate life styles- so should I not support them instead? So I need assurance that I am doing the right thing in God's eyes- using tough love at times, instead of trying to reduce guilt.

12. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

+0
    So circumcision is all of Moses law?

13. Michael Collum

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I speak about grace and trusting God and you automatically begin speaking about the law . do you know it is written that you need to surpass the righteousness of the pharisees to actually enter the kingdom of heaven? how are you gonna accomplish that if you keep acting like them?

14. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+6,168
    Messianic
    Making anything more than it should be.. having powers in its own entity is wrong.. Circumcision became the password into the club.. just like baptism is into different churches.. [so much so that one baptism in one church does not hold value to another organization... and you will have to do it all over again after you learn their doctrines ].. or that objects that represent biblical people need attention from touching to toe kissing...it is like the bronze snake on the pole.. at some point in one's faith... it needs to be broken down.. because it is changing the focus from attention to God to attention to objects and/or action

15. from scratch

from scratch Guest

+0
    :amen::thumbsup::amen:

16. from scratch

from scratch Guest

+0
    :amen::thumbsup::amen:

17. from scratch

from scratch Guest

+0
    Indeed there is. And many think they only have fire insurance.

18. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+6,168
    Messianic
    By doing them in spirit and in truth rather than by tradition or letter of the law..:thumbsup:

19. from scratch

from scratch Guest

+0
    Now that's good and the truth too!

20. Michael Collum

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    "the righteous live by faith"