• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

What About You....... ARE YOU SURE?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by sunlover1, May 24, 2011.

1. Ortho_Cat

Ortho_Cat Orthodox Christian

+570
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    In addition, when I read Paul's letters, I get the sense that he's saying we should be optimistic and look forward to our eventual salvation in Christ, but we should never assume that we "have it in the bag" so to speak. "Everyone else deserves to be saved but me...I am the worst of sinners". That's my motto. Yet, even in my lowly state, I am optimistic, because..."where sin abounded, grace did much more abound" :thumbsup:

2. patience7

patience7 Regular Member

+105
    Non-Denom
    Married

Salvation means to be delivered, preserved and safe.

Are you saved? Yes
    Are you being saved? I am saved.
    Were you saved? Yes

Are you sure? Yes

3. sunlover1

sunlover1 Beloved, Let us love one another

+4,173
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I called you ornery? :doh:
    [/QUOTE]
    Interesting.

I believe that everything is already done..
    I've been translated into the kingdom of God
    Already been saved, been reborn into that new
    creation in Christ Jesus where Old things HAVE
    passed away and Behold! ALL things HAVE
    become new.

:holy:

4. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican

I agree that we should maintain a healthy "fear" of Hell.

5. sunlover1

+4,173
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Why fear Hell? Or do you mean fear God who can send you there?

6. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

+0
    Why fear Hell when Jesus came to save us? I say rejoice and all the redeemed of the Lord say so.. For what Christ has done for me is all it will take for my assurance of living eternally with Him. For He has caused me to be born again and He has taken my sin and nailed it to the cross.. He has put within me His Spirit.. No one can add nor take away from all He has done for all who believe.

7. simonthezealot

simonthezealot have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?

+1,560
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

:)

8. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Yes. We should fear God even if we're saved. We should always consider ourselves lower than others and fear getting away from Gods will.

9. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

+0
    Do you mean fear God as in be afraid of Him?

10. Rdr Iakovos

Rdr Iakovos Well-Known Member

+534
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    What makes you think that any of us do figure these things out "without the church?"

Guess it depends on how one defines the church.

I have played guitar for 32 years, and I've never played one single original note or lick. I've only added my own flavor to it.

11. tadoflamb

tadoflamb no identificado

+7,256
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Actually, I didn't figure this out without the Church. The bible says it, the Church confirms it. Without the Church, all we'd really have is the opinions of men. Something not to be trusted, even by the protestants own confession.

12. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    But the Church does get things wrong. We shouldn't blindly accept any docrtine. But i see your point and agree.

13. tadoflamb

tadoflamb no identificado

+7,256
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    I believe the Church is 100% doctrinally correct and explains it's doctrines very well with scripture and the through the testimony of Christians throughout the centuries. This is why I believe Christ left us a Church which possesses and protects the fullness of God's revealed Truth.

Without the Catholic Church, I doubt I'd believe in much of anything.

14. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,667
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    It is quite perplexing, considering it was an Orthodox that said that statement (me), not a Catholic. :D

15. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    If i left it up to the church that i was raised in, i would be condemning musical instruments in Church. Im not sure that instruments are forbidden. I dont judge those that do forbid musical instruments in church, but i myself reject the idea. Am i a liberal? Heck no.

16. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    it was more light hearted . but basically . if people were not influenced by your tradition . and came to that conclusion .. then, eh .. who knows .. maybe the Holy Spirit actually is still kicking around after all these years . ;)

17. Ortho_Cat

Ortho_Cat Orthodox Christian

+570
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    interesting passage:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge..."

18. sunlover1

+4,173
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I take that as a yes...:)

19. 11822

11822 Newbie

+156
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican

I mean this:

Mt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
    Lu 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

Heb 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear

1Pe 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king

Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Eph 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God

20. MamaZ

MamaZ Guest

+0
    In the respect and Awe of God. Not in the terrified and trembling of God.