• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

What About You....... ARE YOU SURE?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by sunlover1, May 24, 2011.

1. sunlover1

sunlover1 Beloved, Let us love one another

+4,173
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    What does "Salvation" mean (in the Bible)
    Are you saved?
    Are you being saved?
    Were you saved?

Are you sure?

This thread is really about the ASSURANCE (or lack thereof) of salvation,
    but I am cool with digging into anything to do with salvation really!

Let it be a blessing to the body of Christ.
    :prayer:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Great thread idea here's my first dig .

1 John 4:16-18

16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
    God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17 In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

3. Brak

Brak Newbie

+46
    Presbyterian
    Married
    The Sunday-School correct answer is yes, but--the honest, real answer for me is, not sure enough. When you're talking eternity, I need to see His hands and put my hands in His side.

4. informer

informer Guest

+0
    It is repentance which qualifies us for salvation.

5. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,737
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    What's repentance mean?

you said qualified, so does anything happen if you become unrepentant later?

6. JacktheCatholic

JacktheCatholic Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.

+2,258
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    At the moment I am safe in the Body of Christ and the Holy Spirit lives in me. :clap:

7. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,667
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I was saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved when I finish the race. So presently, I have hope for salvation.

8. Vendetta

Vendetta Convert to the RCC

+96
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    This is the correct response.

9. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,837
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    :thumbsup:

Now, this IS the right Sunday School answer (and the right answer)!

10. Ortho_Cat

Ortho_Cat Orthodox Christian

+570
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
  11. William_0

William_0 Total Bro

+15
    Atheist
    Single
    I'm not completely reassured that I even need saving from anything.

12. freeChris44

freeChris44 Newbie

+3
    Christian
    Private
    I am sure I am saved. I am sure I am being saved everyday. I am sure that I was saved. And I am also sure that I will be saved. And yes I am sure. :wave:

13. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Traditional Orthodox Anglican

+1,108
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Others
    Yup! :clap:

14. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+871
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    How about saving to something? There's more to salvation than being "saved from hell". :)

Mary

15. Stryder06

Stryder06 Check the signature

+452
    SDA
    Married
    Been justified by Christ. Currently in the process of being sanctified by Christ. Looking forward to being Glorified by Christ.

16. tadoflamb

tadoflamb no identificado

+7,256
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Bingo! :crossrc:

17. simonthezealot

simonthezealot have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?

+1,560
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm perplexed when I hear a Catholic say, "I was saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved when I finish the race. So presently, I have hope for salvation."

Fact is if they miss Mass on a feast day such as the one designated to Mary and then die they die in mortal sin and are eternally damned according to their church, it's things like this that are so outside of scripture and troubling that should give anyone pause when considering this church as a place to hang there eternal hope in.

18. Rose_bud

Rose_bud Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...

+111
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Im no Catholic... but I think you forgot the purgatory bit...:p

19. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+6,162
    Messianic
    ... I am saved, I was saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved when I finish the race. So presently, I have the hope for salvation.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  20. cubinity

cubinity jesus is; the rest is commentary.

+334
    Agnostic
    Private
    I just finished Rob Bell's "Love Wins."

I loved his approach to salvation.

He asks the tough questions, and points out that if our faith is really just about getting the ticket in, past the bouncer at the gate, then we've missed something very important about salvation.

He points out the primary reason why universalism doesn't work: Even if we assumed everyone makes it to the party, we still have to choose where or not we are going to participate in the party or not, and there are definitely those who will refuse to party with God. (I want to emphasize that Rob Bell points to only one way to get into that party: the redemptive power of Jesus Christ, who died and was resurrected on our behalf)

To make this point about the party, he uses the example of the Prodigal Sons:

The younger son came home to be a laborer because he no longer believed himself worthy to be a son. So, when his dad throws a robe over his shoulders and a ring on his finger, and throws a party in his honor, the son has to decide whether he is going to go on believing he is not the man's son, or accept the father's invitation to be his son again.

The older son believes that he has been a slave of the father's, doing everything in his power to earn his father's blessings, and refuses to enjoy his dad's party. His dad reminds him that he has no reason to feel like a slave because everything the dad has had has been his son's all along. The older son has to decide whether he is going to believe that.

So, whether lost in your own sin, or in your own religious misconceptions, whether you are perceived as in or out, the tough question is: Do you want to participate in the party or not?

Bell concludes that love will win in that it will give us what WE want. If we accept God's invitation to be sons, he will provide that lovingly. But, if we insist on rejecting and refusing God, his love gives us freedom to choose that, too.

So, I would say that an emphasis on just getting in, having a ticket that gets me past the bouncer at the gate, is simply not enough. I desperately want to fully participate and enjoy God's party. I'm determined to party with God, and I'm confident in his love to get me there!