United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Brothers and Sisters,

I thought it would be nice to have a thread about prayer and share some ideas that each of us has about prayer.

First, I think that we all need to thank God much more often. We need to thank God for what He has already given us before asking for more. I'm not talking about just things. I'm going to list some ideas for prayer and hope you will add to them or more fully describe them. Some of what I will list should be obvious. I know that I don't always pray the way I know that I should.

How often should we pray? In my opinion, we should pray multiple times every day and not just at times that we eat. We should all know that all good things come from God, and we should never take anything for granted. I thought that I would share a portion of a prayer, and I hope that you will also.

Father,

Thank you for all of the blessings you have given to me and my family.

Thank you more for your grace, love, mercy, and forgiveness.

Thank you most of all for the Gift of our Lord Jesus Christ who died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and arose from the dead on the third day to be our living Lord and Saviour Forever. Father, thank you for saving my entire family, and I pray that we yield to You for Your use.

Thank you for the health and safety of myself and my family, and I pray that you will continue to watch over us.......

This is just the beginning and some ideas for discussion. For example, I don't want to come to God in prayer ONLY during times of trouble and need. God is my Heavenly Father, and I should be talking with Him many times each day. This is much like reading God's Word. I should be reading God's Word every day, not just once a week for a few minutes. God and His Word should be the focal point of my life. It's amazing how many answers to our problems are already available free of charge in the Holy Bible. In fact, reading the Holy Bible might prevent many problems that we have in our lives. I already know this is true in my life. All of this is good advice for me, and I know that I have a long way to go. So, I can also ask God to help me live within His perfect will.

(Psalms 100:1-5 [KJV])
[1] Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
[2] Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
[3] Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
[4] Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
[5] For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

This was on my heart for my first post. I look forward to reading yours.

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Amen, Tom:).

Heavenly Father, keep us praying fervently and unceasingly. May the prayers of the Holy Spirit not be hindered in us, and may our childlike conversations with our heavenly Father flow as smoothly as they did between the Lord and You. In Jesus's blessed and Holy Name, I pray, Amen.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A great thread! Don't we all need help with prayer...thank you for the pointers above.
I talk to the Lord all the time, chatting,

Then special times for study and praying the Psalms.

For the people on my personal prayer list. This list is made up of family and people I know who need prayer, spread out on each day of the month, flexible.

The forum is a great place to pray for all my online friends, the prayer wall, and countries etc.

It's amazing how many answers to our problems are already available free of charge in the Holy Bible. In fact, reading the Holy Bible might prevent many problems that we have in our lives. I already know this is true in my life. All of this is good advice for me, and I know that I have a long way to go. So, I can also ask God to help me live within His perfect will.

Heavenly Father, keep us praying fervently and unceasingly. May the prayers of the Holy Spirit not be hindered in us, and may our childlike conversations with our heavenly Father flow as smoothly as they did between the Lord and You. In Jesus's blessed and Holy Name, I pray, Amen.

I put on a recording of my favourite Psalms, and pray along with David or whoever wrote them.
I really love to pray the Psalms...

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, we all need help with prayer, and we should be happy to get it. We all have big and important things to pray for: our leaders, our countries, our pastors, our church families, our own families, and much more. We have the Holy Spirit to help us, and I give thanks for this. This brings to mind one of my favorite portions of Scripture:

(Romans 8:26-28 [KJV]) [26] Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. [27] And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. [28] And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Upvote 0

BookishGirl

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
CA
✟341,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is a lovely thread.

"Prayer is simply a two-way conversation between you and God." - Billy Graham

Sometimes after prayer I sit quietly and allow the Lord to speak to me. There have been times when the Spirit brought a verse to mind that ministered to me or brought wisdom for a situation.

"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10 (NASB) The King James version says "Be still."

Our hectic lives make it difficult to cease striving and be still. After striving (Romans 15:30) in prayer it is a good practice to be still and listen.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(James 5:16 [KJV]) Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's 2:00 A.M. here, and I'm still up. I'm simply not tired, so I'm trying to relax and read some Scripture. I know that prayer leads to peace. Peace leads to rest. I have a new freeware Bible Study program that I'm really enjoying. It's called Xiphos. Small, fast, free, and many sources to choose from - how can you lose? I'm using it under Linux. I don't know if there is a version for Windows or not. I did a quick search for "peace", and I got one of my memory verses I learned as a child:

(Isaiah 26:3 [KJV]) Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

I recommend the freeware packages of e-Sword or TheWord for Windows.

Upvote 0