Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What did Jesus mean when He implied to those He was speaking to that they were "gods"?

John 10:33 The Judeans answered Him "about an ideal work not we are stoning Thee but about blasphemy, and that Thou a man being, art making thyself a god.
34 Jesus answered to them "is not it is having been written in the Law of ye that 'I say gods ye are'?
35 If those He said 'gods' toward, whom the Word of the God became and not is able to be broken/annulled the writing
36 whom the Father hallows and commissions into the world, ye are saying that 'Thou are blaspheming' because I said 'Son of the God I am'"
[Psalm 82:6]

Last edited:

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some get all upset over the use of the word god when applied to men, but are very complacent when god is used of the devil and the belly.

(III) The word is used of divinely appointed judges in Israel, as representing God in His authority, John 10:34, quoted from Ps 82:6, which indicates that God Himself sits in judgment on those whom He has appointed. The application of the term to the Devil, 2 Cor 4:4, and the belly, Phil 3:19, virtually places these instances under (I).
(from Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Copyright © 1985, Thomas Nelson Publishers.)

The word god as used in Jn 10:34 is NT:2316
4. Theos is used of whatever can in any respect be likened to God, or resembles him in any way: John 10:34 f
(from Thayer's Greek Lexicon, Electronic Database. Copyright © 2000, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You do know that God calls thing that are not yet, as if they already are because they are sure? God will bring them about.
Sure about what and bring about what? :confused:

Upvote 0

speakout

Aug 16, 2007
✟1,541.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do gods die?

I understand the Benny Hinn and Copeland having teaching god theology

Read the next line, yea shall die!

Psalm 82

1God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
2How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
3Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
5They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
7But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
8Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do gods die?

I understand the Benny Hinn and Copeland having teaching god theology

Read the next line, yea shall die!

Psalm 82

1God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
2How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
3Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
5They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
7But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
8Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Your ask this question.
"Do Gods die?"

Is Jesus God?
Yes!

Did He die?
Yes.

However He like we do not cease to exist. We live for eternity just like Him.

Only our body dies. It does not cease to exist either. It is resurrected and given back to us. :clap:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by LittleLambofJesus Sure about what and bring about what? :confused:
Don't act ______.
You are acting aren't you?
I have thought about going into acting. :)

I just asked a few simple questions

Upvote 0

MennoII

Aug 29, 2012
✟7,790.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
What did Jesus mean when He implied to those He was speaking to that they were "gods"?

John 10:33 The Judeans answered Him "about an ideal work not we are stoning Thee but about blasphemy, and that Thou a man being, art making thyself a god.
34 Jesus answered to them "is not it is having been written in the Law of ye that 'I say gods ye are'?
35 If those He said 'gods' toward, whom the Word of the God became and not is able to be broken/annulled the writing
36 whom the Father hallows and commissions into the world, ye are saying that 'Thou are blaspheming' because I said 'Son of the God I am'"

Paul also refer to the devil as the god of this world (II Corinthians 4:4). This doesn't mean that the devil is equal to or even close to the True God in power. But it show he has great power compare to us normal men. When Jesus quotes Psalms 82:1, 6; He does so to help the Jews understand their hyprocrisy. For in reading Psalms 82 we see these judges (gods) being Judge by the True God, yet God calls them gods. The One True God is judged of no one, and doesn't die for He is Spirit. This is why the Word of God that is Jesus; had to take flesh so He could suffer physical death see Hebrews 2:9; Philippians 2:6-8; Acts 20:28.

But Jesus refers to this verse to show the Jewish people that if God called their judges gods (who are not gods, but just like Moses made into figures like God to judge; see Exodus 4:16); how can the Son of God who is truly God say that He isn't (John 1:1,14,18).

For Isaiah refers to the Godhead this way:
16) Come ye near unto Me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret form the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I, and now the Lord GOD, and His Spirit, hath sent Me.
17) Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leaeth thee by the way that thou shouldest do.
Isaiah 48:16-17

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Well this is the basis by which Jesus said he is equal with God .. but in doing so .. oh wait .. that should be discussed in unorthodox ;)

Good passage.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by LittleLambofJesus What did Jesus mean when He implied to those He was speaking to that they were "gods"?
Well this is the basis by which Jesus said he is equal with God .. but in doing so .. oh wait .. that should be discussed in unorthodox ;)

Good passage.
Might as well just send it into the "abyss" :D

Upvote 0

Stevelee44

Mar 23, 2012
Stanton, California
✟7,955.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I thought we are the Offspring of God. we are Children of God. We were made in the Image of God. We are not God but we are in his image so we can become just like God. We are not Angels. We have the ability to be just like Abba Father God. We were never created to die. I think this is what it means. We speak just like God. We create things with what we say. Mark 11:23-24.

Upvote 0

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It is a possessive noun.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I thought we are the Offspring of God. we are Children of God. We were made in the Image of God. We are not God but we are in his image so we can become just like God. We are not Angels. We have the ability to be just like Abba Father God. We were never created to die. I think this is what it means. We speak just like God. We create things with what we say. Mark 11:23-24.
Another words, gods can't die?

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is a possessive noun.

I agree. We are God's children; we are His; we are not gods ourselves.

I believe the Young's Literal best translates the passage:

KJV - Psalm 82:1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

YLT - Psalm 82:1 God hath stood in the company of God, In the midst God doth judge.
I understand it to be telling us that God stands in our midst and we are the "company of God," not that we are gods He judges amongst. As shown in the following verses, we are God's sons:
YLT - Psalm 82:6-8 I -- I have said, `Gods ye [are], And sons of the Most High -- all of you, But as man ye die, and as one of the heads ye fall, Rise, O God, judge the earth, For Thou hast inheritance among all the nations!

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your ask this question.
"Do Gods die?"

Is Jesus God?
Yes!

Did He die?
Yes.

There was the separation of Father and Son. When He was on the earth in flesh as the Son it was He that died. God, who is a Spirit, did not die.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.

The Son and Father, in their separation, were not joined as God until He ascended.

John 13:3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He was come from God, and went to God;

John 16:28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch Me not; for I am not yet ascended to My Father: but go to My brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto My Father, and your Father; and to My God, and your God.

However He like we do not cease to exist. We live for eternity just like Him.

Only our body dies. It does not cease to exist either. It is resurrected and given back to us. :clap:

I agree; we do not cease to exist for our spirit returns to God. However, our flesh body is gone forever for it is no more than the dust of the earth.
Ecclesiastes 12:6-7 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe it is important to note what Jesus said in John 10:35;"If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;"

Christ is the Word of God who was manifest in the flesh in the man Jesus. But it is Christ (Word of God) coming in unto us (Christ in us) that reveals the meaning of Jesus' words in John 10:35.

We are gods because we have the only true God dwelling in us, just as Immanuel means God with us.

Jesus Christ spoke of this relationship with his disciples when he said he would come to them. I believe that is what Jesus meant when he said in John 10:35 "unto whom the word of God came".

John 14:18
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

John 14:28
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

John 14:29
And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

This is the revelation of Jesus Christ in us. We are in Him, and He in us; therefore we are also the sons of God by the indwelling of God's Word and Spirit coming in unto us.

Upvote 0