Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If normal life expectancy is 70 then it hasn't changed since Moses and Psalm 90. Moses would not have written that his generation were living into their 120s and the previous generation had lived into the 130s

It has changed. Don't forget we get tremendous help from modern medicine in order to have that life expectancy.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What has that got to do with biblical lifespans?

The mystery factors that decreases the life span of human. It works fine until the sudden advance of medicine.

I suggested one of the factor is the weakening geomagnetism. This suggestion has a critical consequence. I am putting the time of Adam to Pleistocene.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The mystery factors that decreases the life span of human. It works fine until the sudden advance of medicine.

I suggested one of the factor is the weakening geomagnetism. This suggestion has a critical consequence. I am putting the time of Adam to Pleistocene.
Modern medicine helping us live a bit longer has nothing to do with the two lifespans the bible gives us for Moses and family.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So we all know that certain biblical characters were given very old ages in how long they lived.

The climate before The Flood may have been better.
Postdiluvian ages fall off sharply after the Flood.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The climate before The Flood may have been better.
Postdiluvian ages fall off sharply after the Flood.

My idea is that the earth's environment for life supporting was and is continuously deteriorating. I still need to find a way to describe exactly how. Particularly, the rate of deteriorating. I suspect it is exponentially decreasing. I am not sure what has been done on this in the scientific community.

Upvote 0

Victor Vaccaro

Sep 9, 2019
Bellport
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hay here's an idea. Maybe the Bible is actually true.
If you believe and you pray for the time you need to complete your purpose on earth I can't see any reason that God would not provide it. In some cases hundreds of years may be required,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if this is the right section of the forum to talk about this (if it isn't im sure it can be moved somewhere else), but here it goes.

So we all know that certain biblical characters were given very old ages in how long they lived.

But i wonder, are they extremely old because they actually lived that long, or is there some other reason, maybe a cultural reason for these characters being recorded to having long life?

For Christians who accept things that modern science points to (evolution, old earth, etc), what do you think about this?

The life spans are literal and they do not "suddenly go down to 80" after the flood - rather they taper off gradually. So then "dividing by 10" for example when reading Moses' account of the generations would get some peolple dying in their 90's while Abraham dies at 18 and Jacob whines about being old when he reaches age 12.

Upvote 0